Technical Problems with the Bond 50 Blu-ray

edited December 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 3,236
About a year ago (last October, I think), I got the Bond 50 Blu-Ray set. Today, while attempting to watch From Russia With Love, the disc started freezing and skipping, first at Bond's meeting with Kerim Bey, then at the gypsy camp scene, where it finally gave out. I took it out and, finding no scratches, tried to replay it. Again, it crashed at the gypsy camp. Now, I wasn't deprived of FRWL, since I own it on regular DVD, and I intend to watch another Bond movie soon to further investigate, but has anyone else had problems with the Bond 50 Blu-rays? I seem to remember somebody here saying that he was having technical problems.

Comments

I had the same situation with the The Sopranos- The Complete Series. Episode 2, Season 6b "Stage Five" (one of my favorites) also freezes and skips at some point. I would be mad as hell if it had happen to me with FRWL which is my favorite.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    About a year ago (last October, I think), I got the Bond 50 Blu-Ray set. Today, while attempting to watch From Russia With Love, the disc started freezing and skipping, first at Bond's meeting with Kerim Bey, then at the gypsy camp scene, where it finally gave out. I took it out and, finding no scratches, tried to replay it. Again, it crashed at the gypsy camp. Now, I wasn't deprived of FRWL, since I own it on regular DVD, and I intend to watch another Bond movie soon to further investigate, but has anyone else had problems with the Bond 50 Blu-rays? I seem to remember somebody here saying that he was having technical problems.

Did you buy the UK Bond 50 set? If so, that explains a lot of it, as UK buyers got screwed big time over the Bond 50 release.
  • About a year ago (last October, I think), I got the Bond 50 Blu-Ray set. Today, while attempting to watch From Russia With Love, the disc started freezing and skipping, first at Bond's meeting with Kerim Bey, then at the gypsy camp scene, where it finally gave out. I took it out and, finding no scratches, tried to replay it. Again, it crashed at the gypsy camp. Now, I wasn't deprived of FRWL, since I own it on regular DVD, and I intend to watch another Bond movie soon to further investigate, but has anyone else had problems with the Bond 50 Blu-rays? I seem to remember somebody here saying that he was having technical problems.

Did you buy the UK Bond 50 set? If so, that explains a lot of it, as UK buyers got screwed big time over the Bond 50 release.

I live in America, so I don't think so (I got it as a gift, so there's a very slim possibility it's the UK version).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I live in America, so I don't think so (I got it as a gift, so there's a very slim possibility it's the UK version).

It's likely the US version, at least you'd think. I haven't run into any issues with my FRWL disc, which I believe is the same as it appears in the Bond 50 set, but I refused to get that box set, especially after hearing about how all the regions got screwed over it.
  • About a year ago (last October, I think), I got the Bond 50 Blu-Ray set. Today, while attempting to watch From Russia With Love, the disc started freezing and skipping, first at Bond's meeting with Kerim Bey, then at the gypsy camp scene, where it finally gave out. I took it out and, finding no scratches, tried to replay it. Again, it crashed at the gypsy camp. Now, I wasn't deprived of FRWL, since I own it on regular DVD, and I intend to watch another Bond movie soon to further investigate, but has anyone else had problems with the Bond 50 Blu-rays? I seem to remember somebody here saying that he was having technical problems.

It's likely the US version, at least you'd think. I haven't run into any issues with my FRWL disc, which I believe is the same as it appears in the Bond 50 set, but I refused to get that box set, especially after hearing about how all the regions got screwed over it.

Like I said, it could just be a problem with the individual disc. I'll watch a couple more episodes and see if they're having any issues before I try to figure out what to do next.
    @Soundofthesinners, is this the first time you've watched the FRWL disc, or is it one you have played a few times and that hadn't acted up like it has now?
  • I've watched FRWL two or three times without incident. I've had the set for a little more than a year and watched plenty of Bond movies on it, and this is the first time I've had this problem that I can remember, at least anywhere near this severity. There have been momentary pauses and skips on other DVD's (although I don't remember if any of them were Bond movies).
    This was my fear when I found out they were doing the bluray 50 set in a book format. I was afraid I would possibly damage the discs taking them out and putting them back in constantly so I went ahead and bought the other 9 previously unreleased blus in there own cases in addtion to the 50 set. I'm not saying you damaged your disc or that you weren't taking care of the set, but things happen accidentally sometimes. I have had DVD's go bad all of the sudden on me even though I tried to take great care of it. This is why I'm trying to get my Bond blus ripped to a harddrive to play off of instead of loading all of the discs all the time.

Do you have another blu player by any chance that you could try to test it?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That's one of the main reasons why I avoided the big box sets, I hate how the discs are handled, just sitting in little slips like that. I prefer having my movies in separate cases, sans certain collections or trilogies that just come in tinier cases. I don't mind those.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    That's one of the main reasons why I avoided the big box sets, I hate how the discs are handled, just sitting in little slips like that. I prefer having my movies in separate cases, sans certain collections or trilogies that just come in tinier cases. I don't mind those.
    Exactly, that was my thinking as well. It has to be dozens of times easier to scratch the discs the way they are packaged in the Bond 50 set.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2013 Posts: 4,399
    this sort of thing happened to me when i got the Alien Legacy blu ray collection - the fancy one that was like a book... Every disc plays fine, except for "Aliens" - which starts freezing and skipping, and freezing again - right as soon as the marines first start getting attacked by the xenomorphs... it ticks me off too.... but even though it's in a book sleeve, there are no scratches or smudges - no marks at all.. and this is the only disc that my player does this with..... so i determined it has to be something faulty with the disc - because i tested it on 2 other blu ray players (my parents', and my sister's) and it does the same thing at the same moment of the movie...... i may just buy another copy of 'Aliens' and swap the disc out.....

it's annoying - but that might be what you have to do as well with FRWL... no amount of cleaning will fix it... it's a disc problem.
    My boss let me borrow her 'Alien Quadrilogy' blu-ray collection, and 'Alien' and 'Aliens' worked fine, but I couldn't play 'Alien III' whatsoever. I bought my own copy for only $20, so I really hope this copy works and it wasn't a problem with my blu-ray player.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Exactly, that was my thinking as well. It has to be dozens of times easier to scratch the discs the way they are packaged in the Bond 50 set.

You'd think so, but I actually find it much more convenient. I've dropped discs on occasion when popping them out of a traditional case, but with the boxset it's actually a little easier to handle. It's also quite a decent, sturdy and well designed bit of packaging.
  • This happened to me as well, but it was one specific scene only for about 30 sec that it would lock up in AVTAK, finally found a super small scratch tried a bunch of different methods and ended up taking it to get cleaned at the local video store and that did the trick. It was such a tiny scratch, but blurays have the data much closer to the top so if it does happen to get a scratch it can be fatal.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    My boss let me borrow her 'Alien Quadrilogy' blu-ray collection, and 'Alien' and 'Aliens' worked fine, but I couldn't play 'Alien III' whatsoever. I bought my own copy for only $20, so I really hope this copy works and it wasn't a problem with my blu-ray player.
    Your statement there definitely calls for a joke, but if you like Alien to the third power, I shall not say another word. ;)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    SJK91 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Your statement there definitely calls for a joke, but if you like Alien to the third power, I shall not say another word. ;)

despite all it's faults, it's still better than Alien Resurrection.
    HASEROT wrote:
    SJK91 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

despite all it's faults, it's still better than Alien Resurrection.
    Oh, you are absolutely correct.
  • Update: I watched Goldfinger with no problems, so it seems for now that it's just From Russia With Love that's affected. Disappointing, but I have the DVD and the quality isn't that much worse.
    I haven't seen the third or fourth 'Alien' film in a long, long, long time, so I can't comment on which I prefer.