Tell us all about your BONDATHON

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The cable car fight is iconic and I always look forward to that great sequence. The crash at the end is spectacular!
    Moonrakers strength for me are the locations. Watching it I feel I am on a glamorous, enjoyable vacation with Sir Roger himself and a sexy doctor. It could be much worse than that? ;)

It also helps that I have been to mot of the places in real life (except space...) so it all feels like a catalogue of pleasant memories.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Oh, Moonraker, despite being my no.22, has exceptional cinematography, score and sets, as well as some truly great scenes (death of Corinne, centrifuge scene, PTS).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I really like that cable car sequence in MR. It's very memorable and I always look forward to it. From my point of view, sadly, the end of that sequence, and the introduction of 'Dolly', is when MR 'jumps the shark'.

Although there were indications that the film was headed in a ridiculous direction up to then (gondola, pigeon etc.) it still had enough tension in its best scenes (Corinne, centrifuge, Chang etc.) to suggest that we were still going to get a serious adventure (overall) like OP for instance. However, Jaws finding the love of his life at the base of the Rio lift is the beginning of the end of MR for me. After that we get the Marlboro man, the python sequence, Jaws falling over the Falls, space lasers, and the ultimate tragedy: Jaws turning good.

As I mentioned in my review of this film, I'm very disappointed that people compare this film to TSWLM (the similar plot and presence of Jaws readily allows for this however) because they are two completely different films. One is almost played for laughs and the other is a bona fide classic larger than life thriller, imho.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,252
    Birdleson wrote: »
    You like the cable car fight?

The fight itself isn't anything to write home about, it's mainly the music. The thing with MR is that a lot of it was done for real. The skydives (all 80+ or something of them), and there was a real stuntman dangling off the cable car at that height.

And of course..."Hang on James" "The thought had occurred to me" and "His name's Jaws he kills people". Always brings a smile to my face. Lines like that are why I don't hate MR...it's about middle rank for me

w2bond wrote: »
    And of course..."Hang on James" "The thought had occurred to me" and "His name's Jaws he kills people". Always brings a smile to my face. Lines like that are why I don't hate MR...it's about middle rank for me
    Agreed. Love those lines. Particularly "The thought had occurred to me". Quintessential Moore.

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Cable Car scene is certainly iconic for me. Dickie Graydon literally hanging on for his life by one hand with no harness from the cable car. Jaws biting through the cable. And I adore the ending in all of its product placing campiness.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,189
    bondjames wrote: »
    w2bond wrote: »
    Agreed. Love those lines. Particularly "The thought had occurred to me". Quintessential Moore.

It feels very Cary Grant-ish to me.

In relation to the entire fight, it is pretty naff but I do find it quite entertaining - maybe because of it's naffness.

Kiel's over-the-top reaction when he realises he's about to crash always makes me chuckle.

The ending with Dolly is awful though.
    I can understand that. MR isn't that high in my rankings. It's often stupid and shallow and Moore isn't very convincing as Bond in it, but I do find it quite an easy watch for some reason. Also, I don't think anyone can argue that Flight into Space is anything other than class. If MR had never existed we wouldn't have had that.
    Moonraker is before my time and I've never been fond of it. But I can see why you say that - I'd probably dislike it even more if I was going to theaters when it came out.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 7,500
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Moonraker is before my time and I've never been fond of it. But I can see why you say that - I'd probably dislike it even more if I was going to theaters when it came out.

Yes, and it could happen again. Replace THE SPY WHO LOVED ME and MOONRAKER with SKYFALL and SPECTRE, respectively bellow.

TSWLM was a huge success both critically and with audiences (the previous entry had underperformed and received mostly negative reviews). So in order to keep riding this wave of success, EON brought back director and writer and sought to give us more of the same. The resulting MR was a cookie cutter Bond film. The jokes were broader, more sophomoric and more frequent. There was nothing inside. Hollow.

If SP was to be another MR (and I really don't think it will be), you people who weren't around in 1979 would understand completely how bummed out I was.

That is a fair point. Mye only real concern for SP is that they will go overboard with personal struggles and emotional drama after those traits proved so succesfull in SF. I haven't read the script but all indications so far goes in the direction of a dramatic personal story with a great bit of delving into Bond's past. I am not against that in principle, but I sure hope they gett the balance right, as there is an easy posibility of taking it too far... However I don't think they will.
    Agreed. My only real concern is that it will be melodramatic and more emphasis on drama over action. Drama in doses like in OHMSS and CR is fine, but it has to primarily be action/adventure.
    It sounds like @Birdleson felt with Moonraker what @Getafix did with Goldeneye.
    You two even used the same phrase of "the series going over a cliff".
    Again interesting.

Regarding MR, I'd be interested to hear your view of this as you are American but it seemed to me rage Louis Chiles's attempts to act tough felt like a so-called "soccer mom" trying to impress her kids.

She does get a few amusing exchanges with sir Rog tho.
    The discussion about TSWLM and MR helped me reach a decision.

So my ranking as of now is:

1. FYEO
    2. MR
    3. TSWLM
    4. YOLT
    5. DAF

The next one I was watching is FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE

This has always been my favourite Connery movie.
    Once more I see that this movie is practically flawless as a action thriller as well as a Bond movie.
    It just hits all the right buttons. It never gets boring, the acting is top-notch and the cast is superb.
    The theme song which oddly enough isn't played during the titles is one of my favourites. Luckily it gets played at the end of the movie.
    To include Sylvia again in this movie and even make a reference to Dr. No is something I like very much too.
    Sylvia was the very first Bond girl (in order of appearance) and her entrance in Dr. No is just stunning. She is also my favourite Bond girl when it comes to beauty. That woman is a dream in every way.

Also I would consider Kerim my favourite side-character of the whole series. The only one that could challenge him in that regard is Sheriff Pepper who I love dearly. Every word is a classic by him!

Grant is clearly the best henchman of the whole series. So there is a lot going for FRWL to be the best movie in the series.
    Objectively speaking it is! I dare to say FRWL is the pinnacle of the franchise.

But as I rank the movies not only from a pure objective point of view it doesn't get to No 1 in the end.

But it is for now:
    (predictions where the movie will end up once the Bondathon is complete)

1. FRWL (Top 10 material)
    2. FYEO (could end up in the top 10)
    3. MR (upper half of ranking)
    4. TSWLM (upper half of ranking)
    5. YOLT (lower half of ranking)
    6. DAF (somewhere at the bottom)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited September 2015 Posts: 45,489
    Anyone who doesn t have FRWL in their top ten, should get an MR scan. Good call, Jason.
    I've just finished watching LIVE AND LET DIE

FYEO-DAF-TSWLM-MR-YOLT-FRWL-LALD the order I have watched the movies.

It's the first time ever I'm doing the Bondathon not chronologically.
    And I can tell you it gives a completely different perspective on those movies!

As much as I always enjoyed certain sequences of LALD I never was able to see past its flaws (that horrible early 70's cheap look, the voodoo stuff) and always ranked it somewhere at the end of the list.

This time it was very different. I managed to overcome my prejudice against that 70's look of the movie and the voodoo stuff didn't bother me much either anymore, after all it's a small part of LALD if you just count screen time.

LALD may indeed be one of the most enjoyable Bond movies.
    The first 50 minutes are nothing special, not really boring but a bit monotonous.
    But then it gets really exciting, really fast.
    The double-decker sequence starts it and it never stops. The greatest stunt ever, the crocodile sequence. The greatest chase sequence of the whole series, yes even better than the tank sequence in GE.
    The truly best side-character in the franchise, Sheriff Pepper. Every word is legendary and I always laugh my ass off. It never gets old.
    That's after all a whopping 50 minutes of the movie that can be called flawless entertainment.
    The endgame starting with Solitaire in danger of getting the same fate as the agent at the beginning of the movie is not that bad either. It has Roger in his famed turtleneck outfit (Sterling Archer anyone? :)) ) shooting a couple of voodoo baddies which is always a good thing :)) .
    The villain's lair is maybe not the most original (looks like any other one of the previous movies, just smaller) but the entrance to it through the grave is certainly very original!
    That brings me to the villain. He was never one of my favourites and his death is as awful on screen as is Goldfinger's. They just were not ready for those kind of special effects.
    But then the movie is not finished. The last sequence on the train is like a dessert for Bond fans. Somewhat resembling the train fight in FRWL this is just great.

Bottom line: LALD is great overall, the sum of all parts work very well.
    I treated that one unfairly in the ranking, but my ranking grew historically and I don't change it very likely so it kind of stayed at the bottom only for that reason.

Now to include it in my current ranking is quite difficult.

Your many analysis of TSWLM and MR helped me decide which I place first.
    Maybe your insights on LALD will help me too.

For now I have two scenarios:

1. FRWL
    2. FYEO

LALD

3. MR
    4. TSWLM

LALD

5. YOLT
    6. DAF
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    Next up in my ongoing SPECTRE Bondathon is 1969’s On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, a film, like 1989’s LTK, that wasn’t very well received (relatively speaking) on release, and which was somewhat forgotten by most of the public. However, like that film, it has experienced a significant resurgence among the faithful (if not the general public) and now is regularly rated very highly in most polls. I did not enjoy the film the first couple of times I watched it in my youth, but have recently warmed to it, although it has never been one of my favourites.

Notable Impressions (imho):
    -Gunbarrel: You know, I like it. I’m not really a fan of the ‘drop to one knee’ and shoot that Connery and Lazenby do, but in Lazeby’s case it works. His atheticism saves the move.
    -Score: Barry’s score for this film is widely regarded to be his best, and I wholeheartedly concur. Romantic and yet action driven, I think it’s the score that stands up the best on repeated listens. It is especially varied, & was unique for the time for incorporating the Moog synthesizer. Highlight of this terrific work for me is ‘Gumbold’s Safe’, which is played when Bond breaks into the lawyer’s office and photocopies his files. Amazing stuff.
    -Pretitles: Absolutely superb. It’s in my top 10 and possibly in my top 5. There’s nothing wrong with it my book. Anchored by Barry’s brilliant track (one of his all time best) the scene in Portugal at dawn is romantic, and yet incredibly action packed. It tells the story of the film before the song begins….that of a ‘doomed’ girl. Lazenby’s fighting acumen in this section is brilliant…..he is a bit OTT when throwing a punch, but there’s no doubting this man’s physical prowess. That score by Barry again……..just out of this world imho. Oh, and I love the Aston DBS (as mentioned in a previous review, this and Dalton’s V8 Vantage are my favourites, not the overexposed DB5)….what a totally beautiful car.…. Finally, I have no problem at all……none at all….with Lazenby breaking the 4th wall
    -Title track: Genius. Everything about it is genius. It has a sound that evokes the majesty of the fallen Empire, which is so appropriate given the film’s title. Utterly spectacular. I also must pay my respect to Louis Armstrong, singing his final song “We Have All The Time In The World”. Such a superb and appropriate song for this film…..these guys are at the top of their game here
    -George Lazenby: He really steps up to the plate here, following arguably the star of the decade. He’s very confident for a debutant and does a very good job indeed. He’s a little wooden, but it’s to be expected given his lack of acting experience. He also has a very impressive physique and fills out his suits as well as anyone but Sean Connery in his earliest films. I would have cast him if he showed up in a suit for the audition….he looks that good, and he moves very well too. His voice is uneven and all over the place however. It almost sounds robotic….and he doesn’t pronounce his words very well so he’s sometimes difficult to hear. His line delivery is absolutely awful as well, especially in comparison to Connery, whose films I have just finished, and also in comparison to Moore. Just awful, and the lines themselves are tacky. Not as bad as Dalton, but on par with Brosnan. What he also definitely lacks is the element of danger that Connery brought so readily. He makes up for that by conveying tenderness and vulnerability, without crossing the line into kitsch sentimentality, something which I think even experienced actors like Brosnan and Dalton failed to do as Bond. That’s to be commended. The final scene is underplayed rather than the opposite, and that’s certainly to his credit.
    -Diana Rigg: She’s excellent here. Probably one of my top 5 Bond girls. Her performance has grown on me, because when I saw the film for the first time as a kid, I found her a little plain Jane (sacrilege for some, I know), but now I truly appreciate what she brought to the film. She displays resourcefulness, hopelessness & despair, love & optimism, all very credibly and with class. She’s a troubled soul, but not a damsel in distress - no wonder Bond falls for her.
    -Telly Savalas: I find his Blofeld far more interesting than both Grey in DAF & Pleasance in YOLT. He’s certainly more threatening and dangerous than those two. The only thing is, I’ve always known Savalas as Kojak, and Kojak he will always be to me, not Blofeld. I also wish he didn’t have the American accent, and so would have personally preferred a European actor for the part. Having said that, none of the Blofeld interpretations have impressed me to date, except perhaps the unseen ones in both FRWL & TB. I look forward to the definitive performance in SP.
    -Ilse Steppat: loved her as Bunt. Suitably butch and scary. I certainly wouldn't want to find her hiding under the sheets in my bed.
    -Cinematography: This is another film, along with FRWL,TB, DN, TWSLM, FYEO & MR, that just looks magnificent on blu ray. The colours look a little saturated compared to the other films (not sure if this was the way it was filmed) and consequently everything just looks ‘richer’ & more vibrant. Switzerland in particular (Sir Hilary’s arrival, and the helicopter ride up to Piz Gloria) is incredible. The film has an almost ethereal quality to it at times, which is testament to Peter Hunt’s excellent direction.
    - I really liked how they handled the Bond/Tracy romance. Rather than laying on excessive schmaltz, they let Lois Armstrong's great song basically do the talking & combined this with some scenes showing the romance develop onscreen. Very effectively done.

Other Notables (imho):
    -fight between Lazenby and Draco’s henchman in the hotel. Excellent choreography here which showcases Lazenby’s rugged physicality.
    -short guy whistling Goldfinger tune on the way to Draco’s office
    -Bond’s meeting with M….one of the best scenes
    -Seeing M’s home
    -the break into Gumbold’s safe in Swi
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    edited September 2015 Posts: 364
    Oops. Something weird happened when I tried to quote @bondjames to comment on his review. I just wanted to say that even by 1969 standards, a black woman eating a banana as cultural relevance is amazingly stupid. I love this movie dearly, but everytime that moment comes up I'm like "Guys, seriously?!?"
    I agree @eddychaput. I can't remember if that part is directly from the novel, but perhaps they should have left it out as it really seemed gratuitious.
    ----

My SPECTRE Bondathon continues with 2012’s Skyfall. This, like QoS, is a film that also attracts vocal criticism from many forum members, although overall it ranks very highly on a lot of polls and has drawn many new fans into the Bond fold. I personally liked it a lot in the theatre (more than I liked QoS on account of the crappy editing in that film) and have enjoyed it every time I’ve watched it since. I’m curious to see how things would go this time

Notable Impressions(imho):
    -Pretitles: I enjoy everything about it. I do not miss the gunbarrel one bit (in fact, the opening is a sort of gunbarrel as Mendes notes……but an unclear one….the opening shot of Bond at the back of the hallway is blurred). I love the car chase, the train fight and the fall (despite the unbelievability of the whole thing…..this is James Bond after all).
    One thing I noticed in comparison to QoS which I watched yesterday: While it’s a relief to be able to ‘see’ the action this time compared to the previous film’s torrid opening pretitles, the flipside of this is that SF’s pretitles seem a little more mundane & old fashioned almost…..and also seem much slower paced due to the conventional editing. I enjoyed Newman’s score during the entire pretitles. I could tell it wasn’t Arnold (it sounds more finessed…..more intricate and delicate....but also less Bondian). The only negatives for me is MP (more below), the CGI Omega & the CGI Craig face on the bike. For those complaining about no Bond theme, I did notice it subtly during the bit when DC jumps on the train and when he does the funky move with the crane to get on the decoupled car.
    -Title Song: It’s not one of my favourites, but it is a welcome return to form after the abysmal AWTD. At least Adele’s song has a certain Bondian flair. It’s a bit of a downer song lyrically ("this is the end...hold your breath and count to ten" etc... actually it's positively uplifting next to the dreck imho that was revealed yesterday for SP) but it fits the pretitles perfectly. It kind of reminds me of Bassey’s MR.
    -Score: This is a very good first effort by Thomas Newman. I found it fit the scenes in the film and was suitably atmospheric. Criticisms that it’s just elevator music are too harsh - it's certainly a bit more than that. It’s true that it needs more orchestra (realizing EON slashed the musical budget for SF vs. QoS), and should have been ‘amped up’ more, but there are some very interesting motifs and ideas in the score. I liked the Middle Eastern sounding part at the start, and the China score. I also enjoy the theme for Severine and several other elements of the score, but I hope for more classic orchestration in SP by Newman to give it a more Barry’esque Bondian sound.
    -Daniel Craig: He has notably aged in the 4 years between QoS and SF. This is irrespective of his hair (which is horrible here, as has been noted) and some of his suits (which were laughably tailored by Jany Temime). Craig gives a good performance. It’s not his best (I still think that was in CR, & I actually even prefer him in QoS to be honest). He is however definitely very assured and embodies a more mature and cynical James Bond here compared to the angry one in QoS and the naive/cocky one in CR. The difference in his manner is clear, and even in his voice in the earlier parts (he sounds croaky…like a heavy smoker in the parts before he gets his close shave….). He imbues Bond with a jaded, played out cynicism throughout. This is definitely her majesty’s terrier….but one with regrets. One thing I noticed however: the element of danger and ferocity that he so readily & naturally exhibited in QoS (and which I indicated in my review of that film that I have only seen before with Connery) seems to be missing here. He’s more an ‘action man’ rather than a cold, dark ‘spy’. The glint that was in his eye in CR (and that was in Connery and Moore’s eyes throughout their tenure) is missing here too, and I think that is an essential ingredient of the best cinematic Bond. That almost natural playfulness.
    -Naomi Harris: I am not happy with her as MP. I found her interactions with Craig to be somewhat forced (as if they just had to insert the innuendos to recall the storied past between these two characters) and unnatural. I also do not find her credible as a field agent or as a ‘behind the desk’ MP (quite frankly, I just think she’s a poor actress and they could have gone with any number of different alternatives). She gives a very affected performance. I’m hoping for a massive improvement in her for SP or else I’ll be banging the drums for her to be gone.
    -Berenice Marlohe: I think she does a fantastic job as Severine. I was captivated by her from the minute she appears in the tower in Shanghai, staring down Bond after he dispatches Patrice. Her interactions with him in the casino are some of the best bits in SF, and add resonance to her character, so that when she is killed by Silva, we feel for her despite her short screen time. I also noticed when watching it that I actually understood her more clearly than Craig in that casino part (he was mumbling some words imho) and that’s a testament to her acting here.
    -Ben Whishaw: I enjoyed his ‘Q’ when I first saw the film in the theatre. The more times I’ve watched it however, his character has become less appealing. This is not a knock on Whishaw, as I think he does great work in making Q real and believable. My problem is more with the character himself. I just think the young, geeky computer nerd who saves the day on his keyboard has been ‘played out’ on shows like 24 and in films like Misson Impossible. I really can’t tell the difference between MI6’s Q and MI’s Benji. I would have preferred if EON had made Q more like Morgan Freeman’s Lucius Fox….i.e. an older character with more gravitas. Since Nolan’s Batman has been gone for 3 years now, enough time has passed so that people wouldn’t necessarily accuse EON of cribbing. Anyway, that’s my gripe on Q.
    -Javier Bardem: Silva is a very interesting character and a lot of that is down to Bardem’s performance. Is he one of the great Bond villains? I don’t know about that, but he certainly has the elements that make a great Bond villain, namely he is a little OTT, a little camp, has great lines and is a suitable foil for our hero. Bardem’s accent & delivery gives Silva a certain charisma, as does his hair and clothing. He’s an eccentric, revenge driven man his introduction and monologue are one of the series best.

Other Notables (imho):
    -Cinematography: This is, as has been noted, a beautiful film to look at. The night scenes in particular are excellent, and this could be on account of Deakins and co. going with digital cameras. Having said that, I don’t think it’s necessarily better than QoS or CR (in some ways, those films are far more beautiful, particular in day time), just that one can actually make out what’s on screen better in SF due to the tragedy of predecessor QoS’s editing. Some of the England shots in SF are quite drab actually but it’s made up for by the excellent night work elsewhere.
    -psyche test: This is really great stuff. Craig’s acting during it is excellent. Such cutting cynicism from Bond
    -meeting with Q: another great scene. Super dialogue between them, and Bond’s biting humour is at play again, which Craig does so well.
    -scene in Shanghai from the airport to the Patrice kill. This to me is one of the definitive scenes in SF. It really is beautifully framed and shot, and it is suspenseful and intense, while also incredibly ‘cool’. Newman’s score for Shanghai is very modern and accurately reflects the city Bond is in.
    -scene when Bond and Severine approach Silva’s island in the Chimera. Newman’s score again soars and is quite Barry’esque…..there is also a sense of foreboding
    -Silva’s introduction. As mentioned, one of the best intro scenes in Bondom imho and his rat story is very entertaining and well acted by Bardem. The homoerotic bit is also quite salacious

Worst bits:
    -he infamous flashlight. What were they thinking?
    -the unconscious drop from a massive height without instant death in the pretitles
    -Home Alone ending is so uneventful
    -subway chase. Quite boring and could have been done so much better. Don’t get me started on the fortuitously placed train
    -Bond crying (never again,……please…I don't care what nonsense he has to endure)

Notable Lines
    “Gun and a radio. Not exactly Christmas. Were you expecting an exploding pen. We don’t really go for that any more“
    “She sent you off to me knowing you were not ready and that you would likely die. Mommy was very bad”
    “See what she’s done to you….Well she never tied me to a chair…..her loss”
    “Age is no guarantee of efficiency. And youth is no guarantee of innovation.”
    “I'd like to start with some simple word associations. Just tell me the first word that pops into your head. For example, I say day and you might say.......Wasted.”
    “Are you sure this is about M?...... It's about her... and you, and me. You see, we are the last two rats. We can either eat each other... mmm... or eat everyone else."

Final Impressions:
    -The film continues to entertain me immensely. I’ve always enjoyed it and this recent rewatch was no exception. Having said that, it did not thrill me as much in the 'back to back' viewing, and actually wasn’t as much fun to watch again as QoS. Standouts for me this time were OTT Silva, Severine & the China sequence.
    -Q seemed less interesting (since I’ve seen the most recent MI-RN with the oh so similar Benji), and MP continues to let me down in many ways. Dench acted well but I’ve never been all that keen on her character (after the sentimental debacle that was TWINE) and so I just continued to look forward to her character’s death (morbid I know, but she really has been a turn off for me for all these years). She has too much screen time as well.
    -Craig is quite good here, but his performance is a ‘little off’ compared to the other films. I can’t quite put my finger on it. He’s really good with the non-verbal stuff (his eyes alone tell a lot) like when he’s moping about on that Island in the beginning, or when he’s staring at himself in the mirror, or staring down Severine in the casino etc.
    He’s also very good with the cynical, cutting humour (this is a DC trademark and I think it’s part of his own personality, which is why he projects it so well on screen). Examples include the Q intro meet, the MP dress down at the new MI6 and even the meeting with M after he returns to London.
    Apart from that though, I think he really comes across very robotic in SF. He’s also cynical and jaded – so there is very little of the spark/glint that characterized his earliest outing and which endeared him to a new generation of fans as the true successor to Connery. I do think this is his worst performance as Bond. I hope that he can bring more of that endearing CR sparkly to the table in SP, or it looks like he may have already maxed out in terms of his portrayal, which seems a little one-dimensional/dreary here to me compared to exuberance of early Connery and Moore.
    -The more exciting elements (Silva, Severine) had to pay second fiddle to jokers like Q, M and MP. I sincerely hope that won’t occur in SP.
    -there really isn’t much action in this film, and that’s unfortunate. There’s great character interactions, but it lulls a little in comparison to other great films like TSWLM.
    -In the end, it’s entertaining, but seems to be losing some of its lustre on each successive viewing. QoS on the other hand seems to improve with each viewing.

Current Bondathon Ranking (with 1 more to go)!:
    1. FRWL
    2. TB
    3. TSWLM
    4. DN
    5. OP
    6. GE
    7. OHMSS
    8. SF
    9. LTK
    10. LALD
    11. FYEO
    12. TLD
    13. TMWTGG
    14. QoS
    15. GF
    16. TND
    17. DAF
    18. YOLT
    19. MR
    20. AVTAK
    21. DAD
    22. TWINE

Next up is the final film in my Bondathon, and one thought by many, including myself, to be one of the best in the series: Daniel Craig’s introduction to Bondom: CR
    After LALD my eighth movie in my Bondathon was GOLDFINGER

For the first time I let it slip down this year in my ranking and out of the Top 10 because I felt I ranked it too high out of respect of its legacy.

After seeing it anew, I have to correct that.

GOLDFINGER is nearly as flawless than From Russia With Love.

Every single scene is iconic and Goldfinger might just be the best Bond villain ever on screen. And one thing is certain: Pussy Galore was and always will be the best and most iconic Bond girl.

If anything can be criticised it's the fact that neither Fröbe nor Connery have been in Miami, the heavy use of back projection in the Miami sequence is awful, it is sure very good edited but nowadays when we are watching those things in High Definition the back projection just looks bloody stupid. Probably the only downside to HD where such things become clearly visible.

So my ranking now is as follows:

1. FRWL
    2. GF
    3. FYEO
    LALD (I still can't decide where to put it)
    4. MR
    5. TSWLM
    LALD (I still can't decide where to put it, see my OP above about LALD)
    6. YOLT
    7. DAF
    Excellent deductions!

Thank you (if you meant me :P )

If that was your ranking where would you put LALD?
    I totally enjoyed that movie and suddenly can't believe I have ranked it so low all that time (No 21) which seems like an insult to it now. Maybe with age I see those movies differently...
    Yes you. LALD has never left my top 7.

That does it.

Therefore my ranking is:

1. FRWL (the epitome of a Bond movie)
    2. GF (iconic from start to finish)
    3. FYEO (down to earth not too silly action suits Moore the best)
    4. LALD (the second two thirds of that movie are just perfect)
    5. MR (somehow too silly, if highly entertaining)
    6. TSWLM (horrible score, I never liked that underwater station, just looks fake, otherwise ok)
    7. YOLT (perfect endgame sequence but the rest is somehow a bit dull)
    8. DAF (too silly, too cheap looking, only the lift fight saves this from being a total disaster)
    The ninth movie in my Bondathon DR NO

I see this movie for what it is: The first Bond movie that started it all. There are many of the beloved iconic Bond features in it, like Moneypenny, M, Bond...James Bond, the casino sequence, the villain's larger than life headquarters, the women, the epitome of a Bond girl Ursula Andress, Felix Leiter, exotic places, car chases...etc...
    It would probably be easier to list what was different from FRWL on... Q, PTS.

Other than being the movie that was responsible for having at least 23 sequels I can't see much in it that would stand out to put Dr. No to the level of the best of the franchise.

Sure, Connery looked suave...dynamic...sexy as hell, even in torn clothes crawling in tubes ;;)

But Felix...oh good God, those sunglasses... :((

The endgame and Dr. No's elaborate headquarters have less than 10 minutes screen time which seems a bit sparse.

Still, I enjoy watching Dr. No every time and it has something, well someone, that I love dearly in this franchise.
    The very first and most beautiful Bond girl in the series which I absolutely adore: Eunice Gayson as Sylvia.
    Her entrance in the stunning red dress is awesome and I love every second of her screen time and having her back in FRWL is a real treat!

My ranking so far:

1. FRWL (the epitome of a Bond movie)
    2. GF (iconic from start to finish)
    3. FYEO (down to earth not too silly action suits Moore the best)
    4. LALD (the second two thirds of that movie are just perfect)
    5. MR (somehow too silly, if highly entertaining)
    6. TSWLM (horrible score, I never liked that underwater station, just looks fake, otherwise ok)

7. DN (Connery sexy as hell, Syliva and Honey Rider just make this movie highly re-watchable)

8. YOLT (perfect endgame sequence but the rest is somehow a bit dull)
    9. DAF (too silly, too cheap looking, only the lift fight saves this from being a total disaster)
    Next up is the final film in my SPECTRE Bondathon, 2006’s Casino Royale. I have been waiting to watch this film again, since it’s been a couple of years since I’ve put it on. It was a revelation to me on its release. Not since 1995’s GE had I been so satisfied and happy to be a Bond fan. It was, as far as I was concerned, once again acceptable to openly embrace Bond without shame. Having been impressed with QoS on my recent rewatch, and also SF (but less so) I did wonder how CR would hold up. I always thought it was DC’s best, but is that still the case?

Notable Impressions (imho):
    -Pretitles: I think this is as good as it gets. After the somewhat overblown (and overlong) Roger Moore’esque pretitles of his predecessor, DC steps into Bond’s shoes beautifully with a simple, no gadgets minimalist opener that brilliantly evokes Connery’s signature kill of Dent in DN. Here instead we have icy cold DC, calmly dispatching ‘bent’ Dryden simply and effectively. The black and white was a great idea imho, and sets the scene in the past. The lavatory fight is as good as the one in True Lies, and is so incredibly kinetic and raw…especially the breaking of ceramic fixtures against bone.
    -Title Song: This is absolutely brilliant. Everything about it is fresh and inventive. I firmly believe Cornell’s song is one of the best 'up beat' tracks since LALD, and in my opinion it’s better AVTAK. The title sequence by Daniel Kleinman is also outstanding and innovative (I’m pretty sure it inspired Mad Men). A+ in my book and a far cry from that truly disappointing effort that was released by Smith the other day for SP. World’s apart.
    -Martin Campbell: He, like Terence Young and Lewis Gilbert, deserves a special mention. Not since Young or Gilbert have I been so impressed with a 2nd time director. He gets the best out of his cast (like Young) and especially (and most notably) also out of his star (Craig in this case, and Brosnan in GE). This man must be called back (even if in a wheelchair) when the new Bond is introduced. It’s now clear to me that Mendes is not even close to Campbell when it comes to James Bond. I now understand tha criticisms from those who don’t like SF but love CR. Having watched both SF and CR in quick succession the difference is quite clear.
    -Daniel Craig: He probably has the best debut of all the Bonds outside of Connery in this film. He displays an incredible amount of confidence and verve. From the opening scene in Dryden’s office, to the Madagascar sequence, to Nassau, to Montenegro with Vesper, to the casino, to the nutcracker, to the incredibly delivered "Bond, James Bond"…….he just acts his pants off in one moment of classic Bondage to another. His delivery is perfect, the Bond smirk and gusto is there, & the sparkle / glint is also there. Moreover, it’s all subtle, and not in your face…..not overacted. It’s a near perfect performance because he projects a fully formed character with depth and feeling
    -Eva Green: What can I say? Wonderful actress and from her opening scene to her closing scene, she owns the screen. I had seen her in Kingdom of Heaven before CR, and knew she had potential. Well, in CR she realizes that potential fully. She looks intelligent, and so when she plays intelligent it works and is believable. She’s beautiful, but not necessarily in a ‘beauty pageant’ way. It’s easy to believe that Bond could fall for her. The opening interaction in the train is one of the great Bond moments, and when she ‘skewer’s’ Bond in that encounter, he was 'owned'. There is superb chemistry between Craig and her.
    -Giancarlo Giannini: I thought he was fantastic in Hannibal, so when I heard he was cast in CR I was hopeful he would put in a great performance. Well, he does not disappoint. A highly charismatic actor, with a great screen presence, he really plays well off Craig & Green. I thought he is great here and in QoS. As good as Kerim Bey imho.
    -Mads Mikkelson: He does a great job at portraying a desperate man trying to beat the clock to get his money back. Mikkelson is able to project the necessary menace without descending into overt campiness (none actually) or excess. It’s really magnificent to see a villain hold the screen purely on the basis of his charisma, rather than some exaggerated element of his persona
    -Judi Dench: My views on her M haven’t changed. I’m glad she’s gone with SF. However, she isn’t half as annoying here as she is in other films. That’s saying something.
    -The casino scene, despite being quite lengthy, is notable for being very gripping during most of it. Campbell should be commended for incorporating the Obano stairwell fight, the Bond poisoning and the Vesper shower sequence as breaks in the card game, thereby holding the viewer’s attention
    -The nutcracker scene is one of the most iconic Bond moments. Craig is marvelous in the scene, no doubt, and demonstrates the necessary ‘chutzpah’ while being tied naked with his balls hanging out (quite a feat). However, Mikkelson is also brilliant in this scene and his acting here is a match for Craig. One feels his desperation as Bond fails to ‘yield’.

Other Notables (imho):
    -Madagascar parkour: This ‘post-titles’ sequence is out of this freaking world. I’ve always loved this sequence, and wondered how it would hold up now, having seen the other 22 Bond films. Well, it is still fresh and incredible to me after all these years. What a masterstroke to go with parkour. Craig is absolutely 'bad ass' and the chase and crane sequence is among the top 5 In the entire 50 yr franchise. Brilliantly shot, lit and filmed, this is masterpiece filmmaking imho. Campbell uses nearly all filming angles possible to really put us into the action, and more importantly we are able to ‘make out what is going on’ very clearly. It evokes the wide angles of the best classic Bonds like TSWLM & OHMSS.
    -Bond arriving in Nassau by sea plane. It’s great to see a Bond landing on location on a mission in his first outing. David Arnold’s score is memorable here, and uses the title track very well.
    -Bond in the Nassau: One of DC’s great iconic moments as Bond, and one that endeared me to him in that film. Starting with him bashing the German guy’s Range Rover to set of the car alarms as a distraction, to coming out of the pool and checking out Solange, to the card game, to the Aston, to seducing Solange…. This is all terribly Bondian stuff and so Connery’esque. Craig is just so damn incredibly cool during that card game with Demetrios.
    -Bond seducing Solange: This scene is worthy of early & iconic TB Connery (which it emulates). Craig hasn’t had a scene even half this good since. Not in QoS and not in SF. He really needs one in SP to re-establish his bona fides, imho.
    -Miami sequence: It’s a bit long, but this is the only criticism. I actually found it very entertaining this time around and intense. I really enjoyed the vintage Bond moment ending, and so have a new found appreciation for this scene. It’s brilliantly directed by Campbell.
    -That Aston twist and crash, done in one take, is just incredible. I was impressed that they had something iconic happen to an Aston, but did not crib from the previous films (in terms of using gadgets etc. with the car). That crash is quite memorable, but incredibly unique as well.

Worst bits:
    -obvious set work at the embassy in Madagascar (exterior sequence before Bond blows the place up)
    -Venice sequence. I just didn’t like this all that much. It was one set piece too much and a bit too much for a film that, up to that point, was very down to earth and realistic
    -Bond eating and talking with his mouth open after having won the card game. I realize he’s a rookie, but manners please, especially in front of a woman like Vesper!

Notable Lines:
    “Do you believe in god, Mr. LeChiffre? No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return”
    “Well then you’re an idiot. Sorry? I said you’re a bloody idiot! Look in my eyes…..I can beat this man.”
    “I’m sorry but that last hand….nearly killed me…”
    “Rolex?.......Omeeeega”
    “But this one overcompensates by wearing slightly masculine clothing. Being more aggressive than her female colleagues. Which gives her a somewhat *prickly* demeanor, and ironically enough, makes it less likely for her to be accepted and promoted by her male superiors, who mistake her insecurities for arrogance.”
    “The job’s done. The bitch is dead”
    “Am I going to have a problem with you, Bond?: No, don't worry, you're not my type. Smart? Single.”
    “The name’s Bond……….James Bond”

Final Impressions:
    -This film is a work of art. It has it all. Everything I want in a Bond film. Romance, romantic feel, brilliant, vibrant colours and an intense, believable and an extremely cool Bond. The cinematography is really good too and the director did a superb job on everything (action, casino scenes etc.). It has an old school vibe but with a new cast, and is updated for the new century. Truly a magnificent piece of work.
    -DC is just brilliant in CR. The best performance since Connery in DN/FRWL/TB & Moore in TSWLM. Cool as a cucumber but with a dangerous edge. In QoS he was just angry and lethal………in SF he was dejected, depressive action man……..here he is a definitive James Bond.
    -The entire cast is incredible. I have nothing negative to say about any of them. They are totally on cue. All of them.
    -What’s most impressive about this film is it has limited campiness or OTT characters, yet all the actors are able to hold the screen and project their characters formidably. That is almost unheard of in the recent Bond films (charisma without OTT). Either the villains are realistic but boring/forgettable (e.g FYEO) or OTT (nearly all the other Bond films). In CR, the villains are not OTT, but they are certainly not boring/forgettable either. That is impressive.
    -The score is superb too. Arnold’s best work, along with QoS. The title song is fantastic and ballsy.
    -I was seriously thinking about ranking this higher because it’s an excellent film. However, it falls short at the end for me. A little too melodramatic and formulaic in Venice, particularly with the collapsing building etc. That part didn’t do much for me at all. The Vesper romance also seemed a little contrived, so I’m afraid I have to knock it down a bit, especially since this occurred at the end and so impacted my overall view.
    -Having said that, it’s still brilliant overall. Congratulations to everyone who worked on this film, and thank you for ending my Bondathon on a resoundingly high note!

Bondathon Ranking (Final):
    1. FRWL - everything and everyone is brilliant
    2. TB – Connery and the supporting cast are brilliant. Pacing could be better
    3. CR – the best debut by a Bond since Connery in DN. Near perfect, if not for the Vienna ending. A work of art by Martin Campbell with Craig almost rivaling Connery. Magnificent.
    4. TSWLM – everything and everyone is brilliant but it is a little OTT and derivative
    5. DN – everything and everyone is brilliant but needs a better score. A bit sparse
    6. OP – everything and everyone is brilliant. Action is great as is pace. Should have had less stupid jokes though
    7. GE – supporting cast is brilliant. Brosnan is ok. Very entertaining and fun adventure that doesn’t take itself too seriously. A light Bond film with a fast paced, tight plot
    8. SF – Craig is very good. Supporting cast is brilliant. Lacking in action but makes up for it in cinematography, atmosphere and character development. Weak finale & too much time on M bring it down
    9. OHMSS – beautiful film to look at (perhaps the best cinematopraphy with TSWLM…just lovely). Great narrative. Rigg is brilliant. Lazenby is ok. Score is the real star of the show
    10. LTK – Dalton redefines intensity here. Excellent narrative and superb work by Davi & Dalton, but lacks glamour
    11. LALD – Great, fun adventure with very charismatic villains, OTT humour and excellent work by Roger Moore. Dated due to blaxploitation and 70’s fashion
    12. FYEO – stunning to look at. Stripped down, bare thriller. Some great action here. Needs a liitle more humour and OTT villains as well as a better score.
    13. TLD – excellent Dalton debut. First hour or so is brilliant apart from tricked out Aston that does not fit in. A bit unbalanced (keeps too many Moore’isms) and has one of the weakest finales. Very weak villains and Bond girl
    14. TMWTGG – very quirky film with an excellent performance by Moore and Lee. Very charismatic cast does a great job keeping it entertaining and exotic
    15. QoS – shoot the editor in the head and then hang him up by his balls. If that job was done better this would be a top 5 Bond film. It’s that good. Excellent work by everyone except that bleeding editor. Needs stronger narrative flair but it’s gorgeous to look at.
    16. GF – quite overrated. Boring 2nd half. 1st half is very good. Incredibly iconic scenes in it that define the franchise. Not Connery’s best though
    17. TND – great action and a great first half. Goes downhill after Hamburg. Weak villain. No sexual tension with Bond girl. Too derivative.
    18. DAF – another quirky entry. Great lines and dialogue. Cheesy settings and filming. Good pacing however that keeps it interesting. Some great henchman/women.
    19. YOLT – ambitious and the first large scale Bond. First half is superb. Second half looks like everyone fell asleep. Very weak Blofeld brings it down, as does a poor Connery in the 2nd half
    20. MR – could have been so much more. Starts off excellent and then decides to shoot itself in the foot by parodying itself and the predecessor film. Such a pity because it’s gorgeous to look at. Again, could have been an all time great if they had just played it straight. Idiots.
    21. AVTAK – Moore is way too old for it even though he does his best. Looks like a tv movie in many parts (especially US scenes). Tanya is too young for Rog. Grace was good as was Walken, but it’s really quite forgettable as it’s been done before better.
    22. DAD – truly a parody, and an entertaining one at that. This is EON trying to top MR for comedy and farce…and succeeding in dramatic fashion. Great fun but also a train wreck.
    23. TWINE – this is unquestionably for me the worst Bond film. Nothing about it really sits well with me. Brosnan is extremely poor in this, & everyone else is also useless imho, except for Marceau in the earlier half (she descends to the level of the rest near the end). Thank goodness it’s reasonably short..

Sorry about the deletes below (computer problems).
    DELETE
    DELETE
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    edited September 2015 Posts: 2,252
    Worst bits:
    -obvious set work at the embassy in Madagascar (exterior sequence before Bond blows the place up)
    -Venice sequence. I just didn’t like this all that much. It was one set piece too much and a bit too much for a film that, up to that point, was very down to earth and realistic
    -Bond eating and talking with his mouth open after having won the card game. I realize he’s a rookie, but manners please, especially in front of a woman like Vesper!

It's a testament to what a great film this is when all you can come up with is - he eats with his mouth open

:-bd
    yes @w2bond, I agree. I had not seen CR for a while (maybe 3 yrs) so I was really interested to see if it was as good as I remember..

Well it is actually better than I remember, and that is clear in the back to back viewings with the other films. Truly a benchmark movie, and not just Bond film. It recaptures perfectly the 'essence' (which had been at that point lost for some time) of James Bond in every way, from song (so important after the recent downer) to scenery to mood etc. etc. They've got to wheel Campbell back in a wheelchair when they get a new actor to replace Craig.....he's the only one from the recent past who really knows what he's doing when it comes to James Bond imho.