whats on your to read pile?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Library flea market today, so got hold of some books for practically nothing. By John Le Carre, Dean Koontz, William Golding, E.L. Doctorow, Wilbur Smith, Knut Hamsun and Joseph Heller.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Library flea market today, so got hold of some books for practically nothing. By John Le Carre, Dean Koontz, William Golding, E.L. Doctorow, Wilbur Smith, Knut Hamsun and Joseph Heller.

Bond Connection: E.L. Doctorow edited Ian Fleming's You Only Live Twice (1964) for the American market, of course.
    Never knew that, and have not read him before either. Thanks for the tidbit, @Dragonpol. Bought Billy Bathgate. (Saw the film ages ago)
    Never knew that, and have not read him before either. Thanks for the tidbit, @Dragonpol. Bought Billy Bathgate. (Saw the film ages ago)

Yes, I think Lycett mentions this and that E.L. Doctorow thought that Bond's depression in the novel had affected the real-life Fleming, when he wrote that it must surely have been the other way around!

Plus, I too buy a lot of different books where and when I find them - they always help out with blog articles!
    Lycett was probably right. The other theory sounds ludicrous.

Yes, I think they pooh-poohed his theory in the small (but very good) Book of Bond (2002).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dragonpol wrote:

Yes, I think they pooh-poohed his theory in the small (but very good) Book of Bond (2002).
    I agree. If Fleming wanted Bond to be happy, he could've just written him that way; he had complete control over where the character went. On the flip-side, Fleming's real-life melancholia couldn't just be written out like in the pages of a novel and his own feelings at the time of writing definitely could've influenced how he chose to portray Bond in the novel. Definitely the latter, I'd say as well. I can't wait to read the later Bond novels, especially post OHMSS.

I'm also curious, gentlemen: Was there anything going on in Fleming's life at the time of OHMSS's creation that could've influenced him making Bond fall madly in love, only to tragically kill off his new wife later? Maybe his own sadness drove him to make Bond feel as he did. It wouldn't be the first time that character mirrored creator.
  • Resident Evil: The Umbrella Conspiracy by S. D. Perry (Finishing tonight)

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter by Michael Reaves

Limitless (The Dark Fields) by Alan Glynn
    Licence Renewed by John Gardner
    Solo, and also the Gardner novels from no deals mr bond onwards
    edited April 2014 Posts: 17,816
    Dragonpol wrote:

I agree. If Fleming wanted Bond to be happy, he could've just written him that way; he had complete control over where the character went. On the flip-side, Fleming's real-life melancholia couldn't just be written out like in the pages of a novel and his own feelings at the time of writing definitely could've influenced how he chose to portray Bond in the novel. Definitely the latter, I'd say as well. I can't wait to read the later Bond novels, especially post OHMSS.

I'm also curious, gentlemen: Was there anything going on in Fleming's life at the time of OHMSS's creation that could've influenced him making Bond fall madly in love, only to tragically kill off his new wife later? Maybe his own sadness drove him to make Bond feel as he did. It wouldn't be the first time that character mirrored creator.

Yes, you are of course right. Fleming was very literally dying at the time he was writing YOLT and I think that it does show as the novel is somewhat offbeat and obsessed with the subject of death throughout.

I believe that the reason that Fleming had Bond marry in OHMSS only to have his wife killed at the end was because his thriller writer friend Raymond Chandler announced that he was going to do exactly the same thing in his next novel in a conversation aired on BBC Radio in July 1958 on 'British and American Thrillers' which was conducted by Ian Fleming himself and which is available to be listened to on You Tube. Chandler had started to write the story of Philip Marlowe's married life but it was left uncompleted before his death in March 1959. The Poodle Springs Mystery was later completed in 1989 by another author beyond the four chapters or so that Chandler had left behind at his death. I think this is where Fleming probably got the idea of Bond marrying, but it's just my own theory, so make of it what you will. I'm afraid I don't know anything more than this.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Yes, you are of course right. Fleming was very literally dying at the time he was writing YOLT and I think that it does show as the novel is somewhat offbeat and obsessed with the subject of death throughout.

I believe that the reason that Fleming had Bond marry in OHMSS only to have his wife killed at the end was because his thriller writer friend Raymond Chandler announced that he was going to do exactly the same thing in his next novel in a conversation aired on BBC Radio in July 1958 on 'British and American Thrillers' which was conducted by Ian Fleming himself and which is available to be listened to on You Tube. Chandler had started to write the story of Philip Marlowe's married life but it was left uncompleted before his death in March 1959. The Poodle Springs Mystery was later completed in 1989 by another author beyond the four chapters or so that Chandler had left behind at his death. I think this is where Fleming probably got the idea of Bond marrying, but it's just my own theory, so make of it what you will. I'm afraid I don't know anything more than this.

That's fascinating, @Dragonpol, thanks. Have you written any blog articles dealing with Fleming's physical and mental state at the time of YOLT's writing? I'd love to read more.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 4,622
    I'm catching up on some later Ann Rice titles. Finished The Wolf Gift. Now reading Of Love and Evil. Liked the Wolf book. Not bad. Too long as usual though. She refuses to enlist an editor.
    When done, hmmm, maybe another old Le Carre classic, or some of the new Destroyer and/or Jim Mullaney stuff that has been published in e-book-only format in recent years, or go back and finish off the last two David Stone titles that @perilagukhan recommended. First two Stone books were excellent, so I do intend to finish the complete quartet.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 17,816
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

That's fascinating, @Dragonpol, thanks. Have you written any blog articles dealing with Fleming's physical and mental state at the time of YOLT's writing? I'd love to read more.

Thanks. No, nothing on that yet, really, apart from this article on the film and novel versions of YOLT:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/ian-flemings-thrilling-inspiration-for.html

On Fleming's physical and mental state during the writing of YOLT, yes I have planned an article or two on this for my blog at a later date.

To close, I'll say this: Fleming interestingly revised most of YOLT in an English pub called the Duck Inn in Pett Bottom:

http://www.dover-kent.com/Duck-Inn-Pett-Bottom.html

I intend to incorporate this information into a future blog article on YOLT that will also cover Fleming's research in Japan for his penultimate novel.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Not so much me reading but the luscious voice of Rosamund Pike reading to me: The spy who loved me. 4 disks long :D

FYI 2nd hand bought at our Kingsday freemarket madness for €5,00.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:

Thanks. No, nothing on that yet, really, apart from this article on the film and novel versions of YOLT:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/ian-flemings-thrilling-inspiration-for.html

On Fleming's physical and mental state during the writing of YOLT, yes I have planned an article or two on this for my blog at a later date.

To close, I'll say this: Fleming interestingly revised most of YOLT in an English pub called the Duck Inn in Pett Bottom:

http://www.dover-kent.com/Duck-Inn-Pett-Bottom.html

I intend to incorporate this information into a future blog article on YOLT that will also cover Fleming's research in Japan for his penultimate novel.

Whcih reminds me: I have a few Raymond Chandler books to read.
  • Finished the hunger games , not bad ,couldn't help picturing the movie though , think i gave 4/5 on goodreads.
    Currently reading The Batman Vault by Robert Greenberger and Matthew K. Manning. My son got this from his grandma in Australia. Enjoyable read for any Batman fan, and contains a lot of rarities.
    Currently reading The Batman Vault by Robert Greenberger and Matthew K. Manning. My son got this from his grandma in Australia. Enjoyable read for any Batman fan, and contains a lot of rarities.
    What's it about?
    What's it about?

It is part of a series called "Museum-in-a-book" It is a summary of the first 70 years of Batman history, both comics and films. There are lots of illustrations and pictures and little known tidbits. Also 19 plastic-encased plethora such as Bob Kane sketches, posters and other memorabilia. Beautiful cover art by Jim Lee. Definitely something for you, @OBradyMOBatmanfanatic7
    What's it about?

It is part of a series called "Museum-in-a-book" It is a summary of the first 70 years of Batman history, both comics and films. There are lots of illustrations and pictures and little known tidbits. Also 19 plastic-encased plethora such as Bob Kane sketches, posters and other memorabilia. Beautiful cover art by Jim Lee. Definitely something for you, @OBradyMOBatmanfanatic7
    Very cool; I'll have to check it out. Thanks, mate.
    What's it about?

Very cool; I'll have to check it out. Thanks, mate.

Me too; thanks for the description. I'm kind of interested in the early years of Batman where he was more like a detective.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm actually reading those. The Batman Chronicles collect all the original comics in order of publication. It's a thrill to look into those.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I'm actually reading those. The Batman Chronicles collect all the original comics in order of publication. It's a thrill to look into those.

Sounds like a must-buy then.
    Eleven volumes have already been published, @Dragonpol. I intend to stay with them as long as they keep putting these out.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Eleven volumes have already been published, @Dragonpol. I intend to stay with them as long as they keep putting these out.

Oh, do you mean the original comics from the 1930s?
    Batman was introduced in 1939, so eleven volumes would be way past the 30s.
    Batman was introduced in 1939, so eleven volumes would be way past the 30s.

Oh, sorry. Yes, you are correct. As I said, I'm very new to Batman and far from an expert on the subject.
    Remember though, comics were different back then. They contain more panels per page and are full, and I mean FULL, of text! Much of that literally spells out what we can see or infer from circumstances. Reading through those comics takes a lot of time, believe me. ;-) The colouring is very simple and of course ethics, morale and certain social *rules* are of the times. It's hard to believe that our dark knight started out when Hitler was still expanding his Nazi reich. Also, it takes a very long time for Alfred to become part of the show and Batman's looks, in the first couple of issues, are very different from what we're used to. And lest we forget,
    Batman does kill in the original comics.
    So expect a different Batman all the same. But, Robin, Joker, Catwoman, ... are thrown in the mix fairly quickly. I read these comics with "archaeological" interest. ;-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Is it bad of me to have a shelf that is completely filled with books, but I haven't read in months? I've been thinking about diving back into the 'Resident Evil' novel series again. Read them many years ago and loved them. They're so addictive that I'm hoping they'll get me back into reading.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Is it bad of me to have a shelf that is completely filled with books, but I haven't read in months? I've been thinking about diving back into the 'Resident Evil' novel series again. Read them many years ago and loved them. They're so addictive that I'm hoping they'll get me back into reading.

That is very bad. I have books I have not read in years, and some I have never read at all. But I aim to. Damn you, MI6!- for taking away reading time!