Fleming / WW2 related books

007InVT007InVT Classified
edited October 2013 in Literary 007 Posts: 893
I've finished reading 'The Irregulars' about the OSS exploits of Fleming, Roald Dahl, Ivar Bryce and others. It's fascinating and a trove of anecdotal quotes. Bryce in particular, but if you own or have read Bryce's 'You Only Live Once' you will see the author took quite a bit from that.

Next on my hit list are these and wondered if anyone else had an opinion on each?

IAN FLEMING'S SECRET WAR
HISTORY OF 30 ASSAULT UNIT, THE: Ian Fleming's Red Indians
IAN FLEMING AND SOE'S OPERATION POSTMASTER: The Top Secret Story behind 007
Ian Fleming's Commandos: The Story of 30 Assault Unit in WWII
For Your Eyes Only: Ian Fleming and James Bond

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I may have to check out 'The Irregulars.' I know it isn't Fleming related, but in terms of WWII, 'Black Cross' by Greg Iles was a phenomenal WWII novel.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I may have to check out 'The Irregulars.' I know it isn't Fleming related, but in terms of WWII, 'Black Cross' by Greg Iles was a phenomenal WWII novel.

I have that book and there's a fair bit of Fleming in there too, @Creasy47.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Ahh, good. It really is a fantastic read, took me a long while to get into another book because I knew whatever I read next wouldn't top 'Black Cross.' I'm a big fan of WWII, so any novel recommendations for that time period are more than welcome.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Ahh, good. It really is a fantastic read, took me a long while to get into another book because I knew whatever I read next wouldn't top 'Black Cross.' I'm a big fan of WWII, so any novel recommendations for that time period are more than welcome.

Sorry. I think I misread your post there @Creasy47. I was referring to The Irregulars there.
    Apologies. Well, 'The Irregulars' is only $4 used on Amazon, so I might have to secure a copy here soon. But first, I really need to complete my Fleming Bond collection and get to reading all of them.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Apologies. Well, 'The Irregulars' is only $4 used on Amazon, so I might have to secure a copy here soon. But first, I really need to complete my Fleming Bond collection and get to reading all of them.

Are you reading them for the first time the, @Creasy47?
    edited October 2013 Posts: 40,473
    @Dragonpol, I have CR, DN, FRWL, and GF. I know I've read CR and DN, and I want to say I might've read FRWL, but I'm not too sure. I'd like to just get all of them, even the short stories, and read them all in a row. I feel bad for being such a massive Bond fan, yet I haven't tackled all of the novels.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Dragonpol, I have CR, DN, FRWL, and GF. I know I've read CR and DN, and I want to say I might've read FRWL, but I'm not too sure. I'd like to just get all of them, even the short stories, and read them all in a row. I feel bad for being such a massive Bond fan, yet I haven't tackled all of the novels.

There's still time. I need to re-read them myself (for the third/fouth time).
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

There's still time. I need to re-read them myself (for the third/fouth time).

They're so good. I just need some money to pick up all of the others.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2013 Posts: 15,690
    not really fitting with this topic, but earlier this year I read that huge book 'World War II' by Antony Beevor. I'm quite fascinated by this period of history, so I'll be on the look-out for WW2 books about Fleming
    not really fitting with this topic, but earlier this year I read that huge book 'World War II' by Antony Beevor. I'm quite fascinated by this period of history, so I'll be on the look-out for WW2 books about Fleming

I have that one too. I really need to read that one as Anthony Beevor is a great historian.
  • 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Only read this one so far but it's a cracker: Ian Fleming's Commandos: The Story of 30 Assault Unit in WWII
    007InVT wrote:
    Only read this one so far but it's a cracker: Ian Fleming's Commandos: The Story of 30 Assault Unit in WWII

Yes, I have that one - I especially like the content about the 'Octopussy' short story near the end.