Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    GoldenEye
    It's been about a year since I've watched any Bond film so I decide to indulge myself. It should be no surprise that I still love this movie. Everything about it just makes me happy. I have very good memories of this movie. Not only is it my favorite Bond movie but was my late father's as well. We watched it together for the first time and I shall cherish those memories forever. I think I shall watch YOLT next as that's another one of my favorites. :)

Oh one more thing. Don't blow it all at once. ;)
    goldeneye_mines_wip_3__by_comandercool22-d6mkgy6.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    TND is okay until the second act, then just falls apart.
    You sound like a professional reviewer.
    :))
    I'm tired of this anti-Brosnan crap. It does not 'fall apart'. DAD falls apart. You of the Church of the HOLY Cow Does Brosnan Suck need to be able to OBJECTIVELY distinguish between what you are not drawn to and what actually is 'bad'. I personally don't care much for FRWL- it pretty much bores the crap out of me, but I can also say it's one of the BEST Bonds ever made. Just because I don't like something does NOT indicate its lack of objective worth. You people really NEED to divorce your understandable mega-dislike of DAD from BROSNAN himself.
    Geeze. =;
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 7,500
    chrisisall wrote: »
    TND is okay until the second act, then just falls apart.
    You sound like a professional reviewer.
    I'm tired of this anti-Brosnan crap. It does not 'fall apart'. DAD falls apart. You of the Church of the HOLY Cow Does Brosnan Suck need to be able to OBJECTIVELY distinguish between what you are not drawn to and what actually is 'bad'. I personally don't care much for FRWL- it pretty much bores the crap out of me, but I can also say it's one of the BEST Bonds ever made. Just because I don't like something does NOT indicate its lack of objective worth. You people really NEED to divorce your understandable mega-dislike of DAD from BROSNAN himself.
    Geeze. =;

So you, of all people, are the one to decide whether TND is objectively good or not? No offense, but your comment comes across as incredibly childish. I, speaking for myself and many, think TND is a medicore film at best both subjectively and objectively. And that has NOTHING (yes, I can write in caps lock aswell...) to do with Die Another Day...
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,691
    jobo wrote: »
    So you, of all people, are the one to decide whether TND from an objective viewpoint is good or not? No offense, but your comment comes across as incredibly childish..
    No, what's childish is your sad attempt to put words in my mouth. I invited people to rate films NOT based on an inherent dislike of the star. I said TND DOES NOT 'fall apart'. Calling BS on BS is now 'childish' I guess, according to YOU (and all the others that would have you speak for them).
    My demand that a movie be reviewed without undue prejudice is in no way out of order.
    Also, I'm happy that you can write in caps, but, I mean, can't everyone?
    jobo wrote: »
    So you, of all people, are the one to decide whether TND from an objective viewpoint is good or not? No offense, but your comment comes across as incredibly childish..
    No, what's childish is your sad attempt to put words in my mouth. I invited people to rate films NOT based on an inherent dislike of the star. I said TND DOES NOT 'fall apart'. Calling BS on BS is now 'childish' I guess, according to YOU (and all the others that would have you speak for them).
    My demand that a movie be reviewed without undue prejudice is in no way out of order.

Your saying that anyone who thinks TND falls apart in the second half are manipulated by 'an inherent dislike of the star', because its 'objectively' not true. What puts you in the position to make that claim? You're basically proclaiming that everyone who doesn't share your view on TND are biased. Sounds very childish to me...
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I can say with complete sincerity that for me TND does fall apart at the half,
    It really doesn't. You just don't like the written & directorial choices is all. OMG, so many people need to make their OPINIONS fact.
    Anyway, that's my opinion.
    But it's also a FACT. And not just because I want it to be.
    Because it IS. See my CAPS?
    Not everyone can do this, you know (I just found that out...).

:)) I'm really having entirely too much fun tonight...
    I said "for me", how am I making opinion fact? Read, slow down, stay on point.
    No, you're making that clear to a point. Sorry, I had a Hell week making my Son's PredatorSANY0010_zps9b97642e.jpg costume, and I'm blowing off steam here. But having a BLAST in the process! (See those caps?)
    I threw together Frankenstein's Monster this morning and it was a big hit
    Cool!
    (I teach high school).
    Wow, you do HARD work. HS teachers are like firemen or soldiers (to a slightly lesser degree)IMO. :)>-
    I like TND @chrisisall. It's in my top 10 for sure. :)
    Murdock wrote: »
    But is it near GE on your list?
    But is it near GE on your list?

Not so much. GE is #1 TND would most likely be at 5 or below.
    Oh, and Happy Birthday!! \m/
  • Dalton12 wrote: »
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    My condolences @Dalton12. Nobody should have to suffer through that mess. :))

Thankfully, I survived :D
    I drink like Fleming's Bond after watching The Man with the golden dud. :))

I was drinking while watching it :))

I was drinking while reading your reply. :))

I was drinking because I can't handle your stupidity.
  • There are moments, especially in the first third of DAD, that were fine.

There are moments in the first third of DAD that are more than fine. The first third is some of the best stuff of the entire Brosnan era in my opinion.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Darn tooting! The PTS, the torture, the bridge scene, the conversation between Bond and M on the boat in Hong Kong harbor, "I'm not that kind of masseuse" etc all very good, a highlight of the Bronsan era.
    Recently I watched :
    Moonraker : Okay, it's very camp, but it's a very fun film if you don't take it seriously. Barry provided a wonderful score, and, with the exception of the space-men battle, the space scenes were done reasonably believably.

For Your Eyes Only
    This is best represented in Moore's best performance as Bond. Gone are the quips and smugness that ruined his performance in 'Moonraker', and instead we have a toughness, edge and depth that was Connery's trademark. Just watch the scene where he disposes of an assassin by quietly reminding him of who he's killed before his face twists and he boots him off a cliff. It's a remarkable scene and Moore's single-best moment as Bond. The treatment of women has also noticeably improved. He doesn't want to bed Melinda instantly and is far more concerned with getting her out of danger. He also turns a girl down at one point because - gasp! - he's too old for her.

The plot's intelligent too, actually going back to proper spying and intrigue instead of being gadget-laden (hardly any gadgets and Bond doesn't even know who the villain is for the first hour).

But if all this sounds boring, then you should also bear in mind that this contains some of the finest action sequences seen in a Bond. John Glen shows all his experience of working on previous Bonds, as he shows a steady hand and great eye for a action that's thrilling, but never silly or out of tone. A car chase with Bond and Melinda in a VW Beatle stands out for the sheer fact that the car's about to drop to pieces any minute. And action such as a ski/tobogan chase and a vertigo-inducing assault on a monastery, are comparable with anything seen before or since.

Boquet stands out as a Bond girl that's genuinely beautiful, and not just sexy, with real brains and purpose to her exceptionally-written character. There's a sad lack of M here after Bernard Lee's death (two faceless Defence ministers step in) but we get far more of Q instead. Glover and Topol go for understated and over-the-top for their roles to make them effective, if unmemorable. Although the villian does display a great sadistic edge by keel-hauling Bond and Melinda. Michael Gothard as the ruthless hitman Locque gives the film a cold core of villainy the main villain perhaps lacks, saying a lot with no dialogue at all.

All in all, the characters display the virtue of great writing over cartoonish writing.

Octopussy
    I think most people don't appreciate how much serious is in this film. Yes, half of it is typical Roger Moore Bond, complete with an alligator submarine. But by being a follow-up to FEYO, it follows on that film's seriousness, and that is none more evident in Moore's most balanced performance as Bond since TSWLM - at once as heardened as in FEYO and as witty and lighthearted as in MR. This should've been his last Bond and for a good reason.

The "space-men battle" is one of the few scenes that i really like (probably my favorite) in all of MOONRAKER. I actually bought it and still do. I only wish that Bond had been involved in it to some extent, as he was in Christopher Wood's novel adaptation based on his own screenplay.

Good reviews.

Yeah I enjoyed Moonraker more than I thought I will such a fun ride .
    The "space-men battle" is one of the few scenes that I really like (probably my favorite) in all of MOONRAKER. I actually bought it and still do. I only wish that Bond had been involved in it to some extent, as he was in Christopher Wood's novel adaptation based on his own screenplay.

Good reviews.
    Fascinating. That makes me want to seek out the novel and see what differences there are. :)
    The "space-men battle" is one of the few scenes that I really like (probably my favorite) in all of MOONRAKER. I actually bought it and still do. I only wish that Bond had been involved in it to some extent, as he was in Christopher Wood's novel adaptation based on his own screenplay.

Good reviews.
    Fascinating. That makes me want to seek out the novel and see what differences there are. :)

Both of his novelizations rock!! To eBay my boy!!!

Good reviews.

Both of his novelizations rock!! To eBay my boy!!!

I will seek them out very soon. :)
    I've heard good things about Wood's TSWLM Novel. Not so much for Moonraker but I am very curious to see the differences. I like those little "what if" sort or things.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'd love to see this; I just don't know how I can. Thanks for all the great detail!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Good heavens, thank you! :) I'll watch it today!
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 7,500
    'Clarence' Leiter actually might be the most worthy version of 'Felix' Leiter that we ever got. (At least up until Jeffrey Wright... but he is not really a close incarnation of the literary character either...) Which is a bit of a shame really, when you think about it...
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 1,107
    THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH - I watched this one again recently and I was surprised how good it was. Most people discount it because of Denise Richards . But she's not in the movie that long, and Sophie Marceau is great! Great character, and her final scene with Bond is one of Brosnan's finest moments as 007. It still has it's problems, Robert Carlyle's not that great and the ending's a bit of a letdown, but the opening boat chase is the best in the franchise, and there's plenty of other great action where that came from.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I love THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH. I think it just makes my top ten.
    The PTS is my favourite from the whole series, and it is also my favourite Brosnan performance.
    If you take out those silly X-Ray glasses, then you have classic Bondian greatness.
    If you take out those silly X-Ray glasses,
    I actually get a laff out of those!
    :D
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,691
    it occurred to me that Moore's Bond is the only one of the six to never talk back to his boss.
    Interesting! I shall take note upon my next Mooreing.
    I will no longer try to ween myself off of these movies, meaning the whole franchise. I have realized that I will continue to watch them all perpetually for the rest of my life.
    I see an intervention in your future...
    I guess this wouldn't be the place for that, huh?
    No, we are the enablers.