Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

Creasy47 wrote:
    001 wrote:
    Watched QOS again.
    What a terrible film it still is.

For those that hate QoS, what are the redeeming scenes/qualities/lines/moments? There must be at least one.

What do you think of QOS Creasy?

• edited July 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote:
    001 wrote:
    Watched QOS again.
    What a terrible film it still is.

For those that hate QoS, what are the redeeming scenes/qualities/lines/moments? There must be at least one.

It's my least favourite in the series, but I like the opera house bit, the part when Bond steals the motorbike, the fight in the hotel room and Craig's performance.

Watched Doctor No last night. It was alright. I basically felt the same as I always have, I respect it more than I enjoy it. It gets boring at parts and Connery isn't at the same level he is in some of his later films. FRWL next.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @001, It's not the best, but I quite enjoyed it. I think I liked it so much because that's when I was getting to the age where I started to see Bond films in theaters and could actually follow them beforehand; I wasn't young and clueless anymore.

I will admit, some things irk me: the film left me questioning quite a few lines and scenes, and I wasn't too crazy about the plot or the villain - the whole movie just felt like one big action piece to another. Other than that, it's pretty enjoyable. The fight between Bond and Slate is very cool, I love the Italian parkour chase, and it does have a few other redeeming qualities.
    The QOS parkour chase wasn't great, especially compared to the one we got in CR.
    FRWL.

Really enjoyed it much more than I did last time. Alot of members on here have it as no 1, and I've never got why it was loved more than some of Connery's other films, until now. The fight on the train is the highlight of the film and there's a great story. The action is really good, especially when you think about how old the film is. Brilliant.

2012 Bond ranking

1) From Russia With Love
    2) Doctor No
    Liscence to Kill

Some thoughts:

I liked Dalton better in this movie than I did in TLD. It's nice that he dropped the 'If I got fired, they'd be doing me a favor' attitude. I know it's probably consistent with the books but I still didn't like it. However, like I said, I liked Dalton in this one. His attitude is softer.

I felt so bad for Leiter. What happened to him and his bride was brutal. It's too bad that he was injured--he could have helped go after Sachez. I liked Hedison and I would liked to see more of him. However, I know why that couldn't happen. It's Bond's movie.

I do have a question. Was M really going to have Bond killed if he didn't surrender his weapon. That's harsh but I guess that's how it goes in intelligence agencies. I just hope hat he didn't plan on getting rid of Bond even if he did surrender his weapon.

It was great seeing Q in the middle of the film. I liked how he posed as Bond's uncle. Him comiing shows that he does care for Bond. What's more, Bond seemed to care about him too.

Sanchez was an interesting villian. I liked the fact that the American DEA wasn't the only orginization after him.

Using an evanglelist as a means to communicate between drug dealers is a novel concept. It's so wrong but inentive.

One note--Sanchez's death was the best death ever in the Bond series.

Leiter seemed awfully chipper at the end of the movie considering that his wife had just died and he'd been mauled by a shark.

Lupe and Bouvier bvoth make very good Bond girls. But I like Bourvier better. As an DEA agent, She was most capable.

So, in all, I'd say I liked this movie better than LTD and wished Dalton had done one more film.

Creasy47 wrote:
    @001, It's not the best, but I quite enjoyed it. I think I liked it so much because that's when I was getting to the age where I started to see Bond films in theaters and could actually follow them beforehand; I wasn't young and clueless anymore.

I will admit, some things irk me: the film left me questioning quite a few lines and scenes, and I wasn't too crazy about the plot or the villain - the whole movie just felt like one big action piece to another. Other than that, it's pretty enjoyable. The fight between Bond and Slate is very cool, I love the Italian parkour chase, and it does have a few other redeeming qualities.

I agree with you about the bad things you said about the film.
    I hate the editing , what about you? Where do you rate it to other bond films.
    I rate it as the worst bond film eon has made.

Whoever follows up after this can have the honor of being the 1000th person to reply to this particular thread

Redeeming features of QOS?

#1 Craig plays a no-nonsense tangible portrayal of Flemings creation, not as good as 2006, but still straight faced, cold, and overall a job well done. But still nowhere near the best James Bond we ever saw

#2 Return of Rene Mathis

#3 Struggling now, some decent action bits and pieces, the Tosca event in Bregenz being such one example, albeit short lived

#4 Olga Kurylenko was not a bad looking woman

#5 Judi Dench does another good job as M. But age is clearly evident

that's about it, the negatives, far outweigh the positives

If I were to elaborate on them, I'd be here until Thanksgiving

:-<
  • Goldfinger.

Maybe it's because I watched it not long ago, but I was struggling to sit through this.

Anyway, it's good, but it's massively overrated by the public and by some Bond fans. It used to be my favourite Connery, then it was my 2nd favourite, and now it looks like I'll have to place FRWL ahead of it.

It's just not that exciting. And I know I'll get some fans saying "bah, you're just not used to the slow pace because of video games, you just want action", etc, but fact is, this isn't an exciting film.

Locations are a big letdown, a big step down from FRWL imo. Connery is great as Bond, the girls are ok, Frobe makes a good villian and Oddjob a brilliant henchman. Overall, this is a very good Bond film, the story is good, the music is good (although I hate the theme, also overrated), the villians are good, the James Bond is good, but I don't think this is anywhere near the best Bond ever like the media make out.

2012 Bond ranking

1) From Russia With Love
    2) Goldfinger
    3) Dr No
    @thelivingroyale: I too hate being branded as a "machine-gun/explosion action kid" who must be constantly entertained with violence to enjoy the movie. You're right though, Goldfinger is just simply too boring to be any fun. Sleepy with a quicksand-slow pace. Makes for a terrifyingly dull hour and fifty minutes, that's for sure.
  • @00Beast Goldfinger is good and has exciting and iconic moments, but it is still boring and massively overrated, at least, that's how I feel.
    Dr no
    What a great movie this is.
    Great acting,locations,script,sets.
    Connery deserves a lot of the credit for the success of this film with his fantastic performance of bond.
    As terence young said "the 3 things that make the bond movies great are Connery,Connery and Connery.
    If it had been another actor as bond in dr no maybe there would not have been a second film.
  • Thunderball

Awesome. Just brilliant. Connery at his best, great gadgets, girls, locations, humour, action, villians, everything about it just screams classic Bond. Largo is the best part of the film, he's really memorable and menacing. Unlike GF, this was very exciting to watch, and is easily the best so far in my 2012 Bondathon.

2012 Bond ranking

1) Thunderball
    2) From Russia With Love
    3) Goldfinger
    4) Dr No
  • FRWL
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    You Only Live Twice

Really enjoyed it, as usual. I don't get it when people say "Connery looked bored", he was fine to me, but part of me thinks Lazenby should've been in this. That way, he gets a less challenging film acting wise, with enough classic Bond stuff to please the public, then he can do OHMSS and DAF, so he gets a proper little trilogy.

Still, Japan is awesome, Blofeld is as menacing as ever, the girls are hot, the gadgets are cool, and I like how Bond fakes his death. The only bad part of this, is when Bond decides to turn Japanese.

2012 Bond ranking

1) Thunderball
    2) From Russia With Love
    3) You Only Live Twice
    4) Goldfinger
    5) Dr No

I'll probably be going out tommorow night (friday, drinking night), but I'll watch OHMSS saturday, then there'll be a bit of a pause since I don't have DAF and a few of the Moore films on DVD. Probably should've thought to buy them all before starting this.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @thelivingroyale, I think I may have to copy your idea. After all of these years of loving Bond, I still don't have a full list of my Bond films, and I need to make one. I was planning on waiting for school to start up again so I could watch them all before SF, but I still have a few days left before I return to college, so I should start while I have the time.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 185
    Dr. No

Better than I remember. Has so many iconic lines, songs and the beginning of so many bond traditions (gun-barrel, ect.). Easily the best Felix Leiter and the Jack lord and Sean Connery combination is the smoothest and coolest in the whole series. And Honey Rider need I say more.

Dr. No 8\10

From Russia With Love

An actual spy mission with mystery and very faithful to the novel. First of the real Q and his gadgets that aren't over the top. One of the best allies Kerim Bey and another great Bond Girl. One of the Best Theme songs as well.

From Russia With Love 9/10

2012 Ranking (leading up to Skyfall)

From Russia With Love 9/10
    Dr. No 8\10
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Let the mayhem begin. Time to continue my Bondathon...

Tomorrow Never Dies
    My first big screen Bond, and despite having Brosnan in the lead, I still really like this flm... well most of it. Hatcher really does nothing for me, so i'm grateful that she doesn't get much screentine. I'll give Brosnan credit, he does look in better shape here than GE, but still not exactly intimidating.

I still don't like the idea of Bond in a BMW, but whereas the 750iL makes Bond like like an estate agent (watch out, he might try to sell you a semi-detached, one bedroom slum in hackney), the Z3 made Bond look like hairdresser (shampoo and set for everyone).

2012 Bond Ranking
    1. The Living Daylights
    2. Licence To Kill
    3. You Only Live Twice
    4. From Russia With Love
    5. Dr No
    6. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    7. For Your Eyes Only
    8. Tomorrow Never Dies
    9. Thunderball
    10. The Spy Who Loved Me
    11. GoldenEye
    12. Live And Let Die
    13. Octopussy
    14. Goldfinger
    15. Diamonds Are Forever
    16. The Man With The Golden Gun
    17. Moonraker
    18. A View To A Kill

Next Up: The World Is Not Enough
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Trying a new method to reviewing here:

Bond- Apart from Lazenby's physicality with his fight scenes, he really doesn't deliver anything to the role. Sure, he was inexperienced and was playing a harder position of Bond with OHMSS, but he still didn't cut it with me.

Action- A huge help to this movie whenever there is some! I love the beach fight, the hotel fight, the office fight, the ski chase, the car chase, and the fight with Bond and Blofeld at the end. The raid on Piz Gloria disappointed me a little bit; I didn't feel like it was exciting enough, whereas the previous release of YOLT in the volcano lair really delivered!

Locations- The beach PTS, the Portugal hotel, and Piz Gloria are easily the best out of the lot. Everything else is rather bland.

Soundtrack- Mediocre; only stand-out to me is the OHMSS theme music

Villains- Telly Savalas' Blofeld is simply awesome! Certainly the best Blofeld of the lot. Irma Bunt was a decent henchwoman; she served her purpose adequately. Grunther was pretty forgettable, sadly.

Pace- Starts out well, but then gets dreadfully slow from Draco's birthday party up until Bond is discovered as Sir Hilary Bray in disguise. After that it gets much better, thankfully.

Ranking so far:

1. From Russia with Love
    2. Thunderball
    3. Dr. No
    4. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    5. You Only Live Twice
    6. Goldfinger

Yes folks, read it and be amazed. I didn't think it was capable either. That must really tell on GF and YOLT is they're worse off than OHMSS. I doubt anything else will be worse, it'll probably stay where it is for the rest of the time being. Still though, a bit of an improvement.
    Let the mayhem begin. Time to continue my Bondathon...

Tomorrow Never Dies
    My first big screen Bond, and despite having Brosnan in the lead, I still really like this flm... well most of it. Hatcher really does nothing for me, so i'm grateful that she doesn't get much screentine. I'll give Brosnan credit, he does look in better shape here than GE, but still not exactly intimidating.

I still don't like the idea of Bond in a BMW, but whereas the 750iL makes Bond like like an estate agent (watch out, he might try to sell you a semi-detached, one bedroom slum in hackney), the Z3 made Bond look like hairdresser (shampoo and set for everyone).

2012 Bond Ranking
    1. The Living Daylights
    2. Licence To Kill
    3. You Only Live Twice
    4. From Russia With Love
    5. Dr No
    6. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    7. For Your Eyes Only
    8. Tomorrow Never Dies
    9. Thunderball
    10. The Spy Who Loved Me
    11. GoldenEye
    12. Live And Let Die
    13. Octopussy
    14. Goldfinger
    15. Diamonds Are Forever
    16. The Man With The Golden Gun
    17. Moonraker
    18. A View To A Kill

Next Up: The World Is Not Enough
    Good to see some appreciation for Tomorrow Never Dies, a flick that is constantly destroyed on these forums. It's not great by any means, but I always thought it was a good bit of fun. And, as always, a great #1 choice.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @SJK91 That's exactly what TND is, fun. That 1 hr 54 runtime certainly did fly by. It felt as if no sooner had I started the film, Bond & Wai Lin were allready making their escape from Carver's skyscraper.
  • I always enjoy TND. Plus, as a bonus, it's part of my "golden age" of Bond, 1987-1999.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    You Only Live Twice

Right then, on to You Only Live Twice. The first hour has some nice FWRL style intrigue to it. After that it all got bit spectacle-y to me. The plot is nonsense, but a terrifically inventive and innovative bit of nonsense, nonetheless. Nevertheless it gets propelled along by Gilbert's stylish direction; Dahl's script is the most underrated in the series, even if the plot does veer too heavily into science fiction, and relies too much on the hardware, on the plus side, however, the sets, the music, the locational work all are top notch. The weakest of Connery’s golden five, but someone had to fill that spot.

A quick note on the Bond girls; I really like both, especially Aki. Very competent agents and, for me, very charismatic. The bad thing is their interchangeability. Kissy replaces Aki and hardly a beat is missed.

OHMSS.

I really liked it, as usual. Lazenby makes a decent Bond I think and if he'd been given another film or two he could've improved. I think he did better than Connery would've done *hides from @SirHenryLeeChaChing*

Anyway, still really good, but as always, the one thing I don't like is the story. The whole angels of death thing just seems stupid to me. But the action, the villian, the girl, the locations and the overall film make up for it.

2012 Bond ranking

1) Thunderball
    2) On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    3) From Russia With Love
    4) You Only Live Twice
    5) Goldfinger
    6) Dr No

I'm buying DAF, LALD, TMWTGG, AVTAK and FYEO tommorow, as they're the only Bonds I don't have on DVD, and I'll watch DAF tommorow night. Wish me luck...
    @thelivingroyale: It'll be fun though! I too have DAF up next, and I'm looking forward to it!
    00Beast wrote:
    @thelivingroyale: It'll be fun though! I too have DAF up next, and I'm looking forward to it!

We agree on lots of the Bond films @00Beast, but it doesn't look like DAF is one of them. I don't really like it.
    DAF next? You poor poor soul. The film wallows in it's bloated sweaty-ness so much, I had to take a shower afterwards just to feel clean. ;)
    With the exception of Moonraker, pretty much from here on out, every one of the Bond movies I have left in my Bondathon I have no problem watching and being very entertained with. GF, YOLT, OHMSS, and MR are the real four that I have difficulty getting through each time I watch.
    Majesty's. A completely underrated film and to me, follows the first four Connery films in quality. I like Twice, but Majesty's a better film.

Lazenby was a fool.
    Diamonds Are Forever

Some good moments just aren't enough to save this. I like the PTS, Connery isn't as good as before but he's having fun, the theme is so much better than GF, and it can be entertaining. But it's just too campy, and a big step down from OHMSS. Grey is easily the worst Blofeld imo, and the finale on the oil rig was built up to be much more epic than it was. I still think it's one of the weaker films.

2012 Bond ranking

1) Thunderball
    2) On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    3) From Russia With Love
    4) You Only Live Twice
    5) Goldfinger
    6) Diamonds Are Forever
    7) Dr No