Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2015 Posts: 7,527
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Laz isn't actually that bad. Ok he's pretty bad early on and it doesn't help he's dubbed, but he gets better and is excellent with the physical stuff.

Watching it again last night though reminded me how truly GREAT Rigg and Savalas were indeed.

Totally agree! And having seen Laz and Rigg together, I really can't imagine Connery or any of the other Bond actors matched up with her.

The other weird thing is every time I watch this I can't get the image of the way Savalas holds his cigarette out of my head :P Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, lol
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I heard somewhere Savalas had a missing finger on one of his hands. Whether it was the one holding the cigarette I'm not sure but it would make sense.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    finger06.jpg

You can see the deformity in his left index finger. It probably wasn't the reason he was cast, but that fits the Fleming theme of deformed villains.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    But he uses his right hand when smoking? Looks like he smokes something else.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    That's what you know about San Francisco?
    Bullet, Dirty Harry & Starfeet...
    ;))
    What about The Rock?
  • Chalk up three more Bond films on my Bondathon: YOLT, DAF, TMWTGG.

As posted previously I'm trying to create as much continuity between films as possible. So far, I've watched CR, QOS, DN, FRWl, GF, LALD, TB, YOLT, DAF, TMWTGG.

You Only Live Twice is an oddity of a Bond film for me. There are sections of the film that are just plain iconic James Bond but then there are moments that completely detract from the film (Bond becoming Japanese?! WTF?! That's the most unconvincing thing in any Bond film. Connery is 6' 2" with a Scottish accent!)
    However, that all said, there is a lot of great moments and characters. The best Blofeld, Donald Pleasance, makes his only appearance here. He plays Blofeld with a low-key menace that makes the most out of his little screen time. Little Nellie is a great gadget and oddly enough, feels less gimmicky than the Jet Pack in Thunderball. The ambition and scope of the film is something of a marvel. The production design and Ken Adam's sets are incredible. The Volcano Layer and the subsequent battle at the climax of the film are easily two of the most iconic things in the entire series. Tiger is a strong ally. John Barry delivers another excellent Bond soundtrack. It's hard for me to rank this one. I want to say that I like it more than Thunderball but I'm unsure. For now, I'm placing it here. Maybe watching a few more films will help me put it in perspective.

From Best to Worst:
    FRWL, GF, CR, DN, QOS, TB, YOLT, LALD

I placed You Only Live Twice here in my chronological timeline since it's obviously the next step in the Blofeld/SPECTRE timeline. I'll explain my "theory" of everything later.

Ugh, Diamonds...where do I start?

There isn't much to say about this one, folks. Uninspired villains, a lackluster script and direction? Tiffany Case starts off interestingly but she becomes a one-dimensional bimbo. Connery is probably the highlight of the film, whose weight gain is clear but he manages to inject his brand of wit into the proceedings.

From Best to Worst:
    FRWL, GF, CR, DN, QOS, TB, YOLT, LALD, DAF

I placed Diamonds Are Forever here because it has to be placed before OHMSS. It starts in Japan which links it nicely to the end of YOLT. Bond shows no anger towards the man who killed his wife. I think it's crazy that Blofeld managed to predict that Bond would be coming after him and was able to stick one of his clones into the Japanese Secret Service as a Mr. Henderson and was able to set up a "puppet" in the form of Pleasance's Blofeld, which he was able to control behind the scenes.

Next one is TMWTGG. I love Scaramanga. He's a great villain. The direction is subpar, the supporting cast is all pissed off. This film is a huge missed opportunity!

Probably the best fist fight in the entire Moore era may have appeared in this film, however, in the belly dancer's makeup room. It's fast, violent and surprisingly brutal. The Funhouse is also a very cool set.

From Best to Worst:
    FRWL, GF, CR, DN, QOS, TB, YOLT, LALD, TMWTGG, DAF

I put this one before OHMSS as well. The whole juvenile tone just seems to fit better after DAF. Also, the mobster, Rodney, from DAF, returns in the pre-title sequence on Scaramanga's Island in a nice bit of continuity.
    Donald Pleasence would have been a better Blofeld without the dwarf voice. He sounds like Nick Nack when he shouts "Kill Bond now!"

Savalas was the best Blofeld for me, besides the unseen version in FRWL/TB.
    IMO Savalas is the best Blofeld, despite Pleasence being so iconic; very menacing.
    What about The Rock?
    Oh yeah.
    :)>-
  • Donald Pleasence would have been a better Blofeld without the dwarf voice. He sounds like Nick Nack when he shouts "Kill Bond now!"

Savalas was the best Blofeld for me, besides the unseen version in FRWL/TB.

This may possibly be the best introduction to a Bond villain ever. Certainly up until GoldenEye, at least.
    Best introduction to a villain is still Dr No, I think.

Totally agree. But I do love when Pleasance yells "Kill Bond! Now!!"

Are you referring to when we first see him in person or when we hear him talking to Dent?

Are you referring to when we first see him in person or when we hear him talking to Dent?
    The former for me.
    chrisisall wrote: »

The former for me.

Yeah that is a classic intro. Personally I do prefer the Goldeneye one marginally though. Love the sinister atmosphere and the "Whispering Statues" soundtrack.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    SF for me in the recent past. Love the monologue by Silva about the rats.

The former for me.

Yeah that is a classic intro. Personally I do prefer the Goldeneye one marginally though. Love the sinister atmosphere and the "Whispering Statues" soundtrack.
    @BAIN123 it's insulting to think I haven't anticipated your every post.
    Silva's intro was grand but I think Renard's was also pretty good out of the modern ones.

Sanchez's was brutal.

"What did he promise you? His heart? Give her his heart!!"

Nice!
    The Living Daylights

I've never been able to figure out why I'm not crazy about TLD- there's really no reason for it. It boasts an intricate, detailed plot, some fairly memorable adversaries, a pristine soundtrack, solid action, excellent location work, and a worthy introduction to the series with Timothy Dalton; even still, with all of those perks, I still am never dazzled like I am with other Bond adventures. It's certainly good enough to have much more re-watch value for me than the likes of MR, OHMSS, GF, etc, but there's something missing. I'll probably never figure out what it is! Alas, TLD is usually doomed to middle ground status; it could be worse though!

2014/2015 Winter Bondathon

1. From Russia with Love
    2. Tomorrow Never Dies
    3. Thunderball
    4. The Living Daylights
    5. You Only Live Twice
    6. The Spy Who Loved Me
    edited February 2015 Posts: 17,693
    00Beast wrote: »
    The Living Daylights

I've never been able to figure out why I'm not crazy about TLD- there's really no reason for it. It boasts an intricate, detailed plot, some fairly memorable adversaries, a pristine soundtrack, solid action, excellent location work, and a worthy introduction to the series with Timothy Dalton; even still, with all of those perks, I still am never dazzled like I am with other Bond adventures.
    It's a smallish Bond movie, its main strength coming from Tim's Bond & his chemistry with Kara. Still, that's more than enough to earn it the co-top spot for me. But I can see how non-Dalton fanatics could find it a bit lacking due to some pacing issues.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @BAIN123, I totally forgot about Sanchez. Yes, he is up there for a modern intro that kicks 'a'. I remember when I first saw that I was in shock at the sheer brutality of it all - for the relatively tame (up to that point anyway) Bond universe.

@00Beast, I can relate to your thoughts on TLD. For me, it's one of the best for the positive reasons you note, but I find Kara underwhelming, I miss more babes (TLD was lacking in the babe factor for me - darn late 80's PC) and the villains were somewhat uninteresting (except Necros). I still rate it very highly for the positive reasons you mention however, but see your point.

The former for me.

I just watched Jupiter Ascending (against my will) and Sean's first line is "Back from the bloody dead" :P Highlight of the movie ;)
    =)) That was pretty damn funny....
    Nice one Birdleson!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2015 Posts: 13,894
    Oh my god, oh.. that was to much. :))
    I've heard a similar one where clips from Kindergarten Cop were played. The person who answered the phone clocked on and played along :))

Surely the woman would twig when the caller says their name is Mr Bond and they have a Sean Connery-like voice.
    HAHAHA! Thanks for posting.
    00Beast wrote: »
    The Living Daylights

I've never been able to figure out why I'm not crazy about TLD- there's really no reason for it. It boasts an intricate, detailed plot, some fairly memorable adversaries, a pristine soundtrack, solid action, excellent location work, and a worthy introduction to the series with Timothy Dalton; even still, with all of those perks, I still am never dazzled like I am with other Bond adventures.
    It's a smallish Bond movie, its main strength coming from Tim's Bond & his chemistry with Kara. Still, that's more than enough to earn it the co-top spot for me. But I can see how non-Dalton fanatics could find it a bit lacking due to some pacing issues.

Now that you mention it, that does factor into my opinion on TLD- the pace is sometimes hard to roll with, particularly in the scenes in the first half with Koskov's fake defection and Bond and Kara's trek around Austria. Things never really pick up for me until Bond interrogates General Pushkin in his hotel room. After that, the pace moves itself along much better than before.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @00Beast, I can relate to your thoughts on TLD. For me, it's one of the best for the positive reasons you note, but I find Kara underwhelming, I miss more babes (TLD was lacking in the babe factor for me - darn late 80's PC) and the villains were somewhat uninteresting (except Necros). I still rate it very highly for the positive reasons you mention however, but see your point.

I have always found Kara to be disappointing as well; she's not that attractive (in my opinion) and, in her scenes with Bond, comes across like a ten year old girl with a crush on her school teacher. That whole "puppy love" aspect to her character kind of kills her chances at being taken seriously as a Bond girl. She has never been one of my favorites, to say the least!
  • I've always loved Kara. She fits into the mold of my favorite type of Bond girls (with a few exceptions). She's innocent, intelligent, and capable but by and large in way over her head. I also feel that she and Dalton have a wonderful chemistry together. He's really the only Bond that would have worked with her character and her as an actress so I think it works great.