I don't understand the difference between American and English humor

13»

Comments

• edited August 2013 Posts: 11,189
    A great explination given by Stephen Fry. Personally I'd add Victor Meldrew to that list of "downtrodden" British characters. Meldrew is even more of a sad case than the likes of Fawlty and Delboy because he simply wants to GET BY in life. He's not a snob like Basil yet is mocked all the same. Most of the time he's not in the wrong - it's the idiots around him.

An American Victor Meldrew would probably be somewhat different.

I think the difference between American and British humour can be described in one word: cynicism.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I didn't mind veep but The Thick of It is in another class.

For instance consider how Spaced has been so influential over the pond, that references from films were never so obvious in U.S shows, the likes of how I met your mother and the big bang theory undoubtedly owe it a debt.

Considering when it was broadcast it was no more than a cult program that has grown since the Peggy/Frost phenomenon kicked in, it's influence good or bad has filtered into more American comedy writers than I care to mention.

Would we really have got Zombieland without Shaun of the Dead?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Shardlake wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    Frankie Boyle can be very crass and is one of the most controversial comics in the UK but when he says something intelligent and incisive he puts most comics to shame. The thing about Boyle is stands up for what he believes in and he's not used his stand up like countless Brit comics to launch their TV career like the likes of John Bishop, Micky Flannagan or the totally unfunny Russell Howard and don't get me stared on Mcyntire he's just like the late great Bill Hicks said been sucking Satan's c**k.

Most Brit comics sell out as soon as they get some success, Boyle like his hero Hicks has never done that.

Fair enough. What do you think of Stewart Lee, then?

I like Stewart Lee I remember him from the Lee & Herring days, not seen much of his stand up though. I am aware that he said something about Boyle and he retaliated in typical Frankie fashion.

I have seen that puppet show abortion and it is beggars belief what passes for humour in this country these days.

I must say though one series caught my eye and I think it might be a marmite show. Count Arthur Strong with our own Bill Tanner the hugely talented Rory Kinnear.

It's particularly sit com like but it's co written by Graham Lineham with the title character star Steve Delaney. The beauty of the show that the Count on his own could become tiresome and annoying but due to Kinnear's humanity it becomes or did for me incredibly likable. Delaney's creation evolves into far more than he initially appears with Kinnear's gravitas.

I'm not sure it would translate that well over the pond but it's full pathos something us Brits can do very well, be warned it might not be your cup of tea as initially could be dismissed as yet another cookie cutter UK sit com.
    The series ended in a way that it should be left but I've no doubt it's going to get it a 2nd series although 1 would be more than enough as it's likely to descend into formula.

Yes, I remember listening to Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show on BBC Radio 4 I think it was, in 2006 or so. That's another thing - have you ever noticed how the most cutting-edge British comedy begins on radio before it transfers to TV. Perhaps this is another difference from America, though I've never researched it. Sadly I missed the TV sitcom version.
    Has anyone seen Mrs Browns Boys. About as funny as a burning orphanage.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,808
    Matt007 wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly. Most offensive to the island of Ireland which I happen to be a part of. Crude and most unfunny. Crudeness just for the sake of it, it seems. Typical BBC 1 dung that goes for comedy on there now. Ohhhh, edgy, I must say! Keep it on BBC 2, the home of the (uncrowned) saviour of British Comedy - Stewart Lee.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Matt007 wrote:

I actually thought this was the worst thing I had ever seen but Puppet Game Show makes it look like Fawlty Towers.

The sitcom Fleksnes is loosely based on British sitcom "Hancocks half hour".......

Anyway , I view wrestling as a sort of comedy......Macho Man or Warriors ramblings lol ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    [quote="Shardl

Iake"]Frankie Boyle can be very crass and is one of the most controversial comics in the UK but when he says something intelligent and incisive he puts most comics to shame. The thing about Boyle is stands up for what he believes in and he's not used his stand up like countless Brit comics to launch their TV career like the likes of John Bishop, Micky Flannagan or the totally unfunny Russell Howard and don't get me stared on Mcyntire he's just like the late great Bill Hicks said been sucking Satan's c**ki
    Most Brit comics sell out as soon as they get some success, Boyle like his hero Hicks has never done that.

Fair enough. What do you think of Stewart Lee, then?

I like Stewart Lee I remember him from the Lee & Herring days, not seen much of his stand up though. I am aware that he said something about Boyle and he retaliated in typical Frankie fashion.

I have seen that puppet show abortion and it is beggars belief what passes for humour in this country these days.

I must say though one series caught my eye and I think it might be a marmite show. Count Arthur Strong with our own Bill Tanner the hugely talented Rory Kinnear.

It's particularly sit com like but it's co written by Graham Lineham with the title character star Steve Delaney. The beauty of the show that the Count on his own could become tiresome and annoying but due to Kinnear's humanity it becomes or did for me incredibly likable. Delaney's creation evolves into far more than he initially appears with Kinnear's gravitas.

I'm not sure it would translate that well over the pond but it's full pathos something us Brits can do very well, be warned it might not be your cup of tea as initially could be dismissed as yet another cookie cutter UK sit com.
    The series ended in a way that it should be left but I've no doubt it's going to get it a 2nd series although 1 would be more than enough as it's likely to descend into formula.

Yes, I remember listening to Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show on BBC Radio 4 I think it was, in 2006 or so. That's another thing - have you ever noticed how the most cutting-edge British comedy begins on radio before it transfers to TV. Perhaps this is another difference from America, though I've never researched it. Sadly I missed the TV sitcom version. [/quote]

I know quite a few classic UK comedies have come from radio, I recommend Count Arthur Strong though if you get a chance to see it. Another cult show I'd recommend that might not translate is Garth Marenghi's Dark Place, Richard Ayoade and Mathew Holness as well as the brilliant Matt Berry, One Track Lover is sublime comedy genius.

• edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Matt007 wrote:

I actually thought this was the worst thing I had ever seen but Puppet Game Show makes it look like Fawlty Towers.

I think Badults might be crapper than Mrs Brown Boys.

It's the only time I've tuned into a show just to see how shit it is. It somehow managed to be even worse than the trailer.

Despite nearly all of them being awful BBC 3 continue churning out comedies. I haven't seen most of them but I don't think I need to, I've heard nothing good about any of them.

The only reason I ever watch BBC 3 anymore is for Family Guy (yes it's obvious and stupid but it's funny) and Him And Her.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,808
    A lot of TV comedy is far too safe and repetitive on British TV these days and so there is little need for risk or innovation.