The "Before" Trilogy

edited August 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 2,400
There's a series of romantic films starring Ethan Hawke known as the "Before" trilogy; Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, and Before Midnight. All I know about them is that they all take place in real-time, they're part of a single narrative, and they've been released nine years apart (1995, 2004, 2013) with the films taking place in their respective year of release. Are they any good? This is a trilogy I've had recommended to me and all three films have outstanding critical acclaim.

Comments

They are very good, but only if you like movies about real romance.
    Oh yeah, I'm looking for a genuine romance film, not some teen, fake, lovey-dovey b.s. I just mean, is it a quality film?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    They're fantastic, a must watch @StirredNotShaken.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The first two were fantastic. I have yet to watch the last one but heard from very good sources it's just as good.
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 96
    They're very good, but be advised: they're ALL dialoge. No action, no chase scenes, nothing blows up, there's no dufus "best friend" character that's played for comic relief, there's not even any physical or broad humour of any kind (although there are some truly funny moments, even those moments are very reality-based). But the dialoge is totally captivating and the movies go by much quicker than you'd expect for such a talk-heavy film. Great scripts, great acting, great locations. What more could you want?

By the way, I hated - HATED - Ethan Hawke in the 90's, so I didn't see his movies at the time of release. But I've come to reconsider my opinion and now think of him as one of my favorite actors.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I agree with Quarrel. Great scripts, some of the greatest dialogues about love or relationships ever written.

Don´t miss any of them...
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 2,400
    Quarrel wrote:
    They're very good, but be advised: they're ALL dialoge. No action, no chase scenes, nothing blows up, there's no dufus "best friend" character that's played for comic relief, there's not even any physical or broad humour of any kind (although there are some truly funny moments, even those moments are very reality-based). But the dialoge is totally captivating and the movies go by much quicker than you'd expect for such a talk-heavy film. Great scripts, great acting, great locations. What more could you want?

By the way, I hated - HATED - Ethan Hawke in the 90's, so I didn't see his movies at the time of release. But I've come to reconsider my opinion and now think of him as one of my favorite actors.

He's terrible at action films, I find. Just not convincing at all with fights or gunplay. It's his dramatic roles that I find him to be good in. He was fantastic in Dead Poets Society, and I've heard from numerous people that Before Sunrise is his career-defining role.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I've wanted to see these for quite some time. Everyone praises them as some of the better romance films out there, and they look really enjoyable to me.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Never heard of them until now. I'll definitely check them out
  • I think the Before Trilogy is over, now ?. ;;)
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    I think the Before Trilogy is over, now ?. ;;)

I hope not. In nine years a lot of things can happen in the world and between a couple...
  • edited August 2013 Posts: 23
    I hope you are right, they are too good to waste . ;;)