Who or What Poses the Biggest Threat To The Future of James Bond

2»

Comments

• 00Ed wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I think being able to keep Bond rooted in the 50's/60's yet at the same time his world modern is the biggest challenge as we continue to move further away from that time.

Indeed, the trick is to keep the series respectful of its tradition without turning Bond into an outdated relic, like a drunken playboy who fell off a time machine.

:)) Other than the part which I struck out, this sounded just like parts of the Brosnan era! There were times that I kept thinking, so this is what they really wanted to do in 1987. They got a younger guy with the right hair color and toughened him up a bit, otherwise he's Moore with the corny one liners and rampant womanizing.

• RC7RC7
    Bounine wrote:
    Certainly it would be unwise to have him drink too heavily with what we know today regarding the health concerns not to mention that he must have a high level of fitness but it's still his character to be a heavy drinker and they need to remain faithful to this.

I was talking with a friend who worked on SF who suggested Dan was quite the drinker. If he can do it and stay in shape, then I guess it's perfectly feasible for Bond to do the same.
    For me? Too much unrealistic CGI use. The DAD Ice surfing sequence is THE casing point. Other than that? I think the world is still a very dangerous place to live. The real growing crisis in Syria is another obvious situation to highlight.

So in that instance keep the plot storylines credible and not venture off into fantasy.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    I hope it not but a fantasy plot in addition to a weak Craig's general perf (they're going on a lighter tone, see MI6 HQ) counting his look and age COULD eventually threaten the continuity of the serie...or, IMO another QOS.
    And as the Bond tenures are in general, it's like the sun shines more at the begin rather than at the end, logical indeed but true (I mean DAF, AVTAK, DAD).

Or like in 2010, money problems. Actually, this can be avoided these days thanks to Skyfall's success. Other possibility ? I don't see it yet.
    I hope it not but a fantasy plot in addition to a weak Craig's general perf (they're going on a lighter tone, see MI6 HQ) counting his look and age COULD eventually threaten the continuity of the serie...or, IMO another QOS.
    And as the Bond tenures are in general, it's like the sun shines more at the begin rather than at the end, logical indeed but true (I mean DAF, AVTAK, DAD).

Or like in 2010, money problems. Actually, this can be avoided these days thanks to Skyfall's success. Other possibility ? I don't see it yet.

If you DON'T want a lighter tone, then I agree with you. Nor do I. They can have a bit more natural humour that stems from normal conversation if that's what Craig wants so badly and still have a darker Bond. This was how it was done in the books. There was some great humour in the books that wasn't corny like the one liners. It was natural and allowed for a darkly toned Bond yarn laced in parts with the right brand of humour. There weren't cheesy one liners that got in the way of the wonderfully, darker tone.

• edited September 2013 Posts: 2,598
    RC7 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    Certainly it would be unwise to have him drink too heavily with what we know today regarding the health concerns not to mention that he must have a high level of fitness but it's still his character to be a heavy drinker and they need to remain faithful to this.

I was talking with a friend who worked on SF who suggested Dan was quite the drinker. If he can do it and stay in shape, then I guess it's perfectly feasible for Bond to do the same.

Amen to that RC7! Skal! (the "a" in Skal should have a small circle on top of it but I don't have a Danish keyboard)
  • Bounine wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

Amen to that RC7! Skal! (the "a" in Skal should have a small circle on top of it but I don't have a Danish keyboard)

I vote for "get plastered you bastard" but that's just me I guess.
  • RC7RC7
    Bounine wrote:
    RC7 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

I vote for "get plastered you bastard" but that's just me I guess.

:D me too. Any vice that I share with Bond is one worth keeping, in my book.
  • Threat: when Mendes leaves together with his cinematic style. CR, my favorite Bond movie, was big because it "rebooted" Bond after Brosnan's laughable tenure, giving us the grittier, post-Bourne Bond. As evidence by QoS, the prods struggled to keep Bond movies fresh and critically successful right after the big "reboot". Thank God, for Mendes's sleek style and psychological themes (Bond and Silva's mommy problems) in Skyfall.

I don't think they can successfully repeat the SF psycho-themes in the near future (next 2-3 movies). So, what will be the theme/s in the next films? Will the themes be critically great? Mendes may leave after 25. Will Craig do another one after 25? If not, who will be worthy to replace him, and his charisma plus acting chops? Will the prods "reboot" like CR again with post-Craig Bond?
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Bounine wrote:

If you DON'T want a lighter tone, then I agree with you. Nor do I. They can have a bit more natural humour that stems from normal conversation if that's what Craig wants so badly and still have a darker Bond. This was how it was done in the books. There was some great humour in the books that wasn't corny like the one liners. It was natural and allowed for a darkly toned Bond yarn laced in parts with the right brand of humour. There weren't cheesy one liners that got in the way of the wonderfully, darker tone.
    Indeed, I think a lighter tone (do you mean one-liners especially?) would be illogical after Skyfall, which was quite dramatic with some touch of humour. On the other hand, I'm not against that idea, perhaps in a few films (1 or 2 more, probably after Craig's tenure). As you said above, you can still have a darker tone and some sense of humour that respect the books content. How it should be. So, wait and see...

For me, whatever the tone, I wish a great quality film and interpretation.
    I like Sir Roger Moore's one-liners as I like the serious of Dalton and the darkness of Craig, BTW. Pierce Brosnan's flegm and elegance as well, so do Connery's style, Lazenby's punch.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 2,598
    "For me, whatever the tone, I wish a great quality film and interpretation.
    I like Sir Roger Moore's one-liners as I like the serious of Dalton and the darkness of Craig, BTW."

I agree.

One liners in Moore's films are fine as these films revolve around comedy and he does it well. I don't think the one liners belong in a Craig or Dalton film though.
    The ghost of Kevin McClory.
    I think after Craig's run they must do something different. They need to go a different route to keep things fresh and fun. If this is gritty Bond they have to go lighter. Not too light but in a different direction. If not, it will just be a pale imitation of Craig and that won't work in the long run.

It's worked so far. Heavy Bond with Connery, lighter Bond with Moore, heavy with Dalts, lighter with Brosnan, heavy now with Craig. Sorry for not including Laz but he's floating around there with just one so I don't include it with the swings in tone with the series.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I may be wrong, but I believe the copyrights expire in 2034, 70 years after the death of the creator of Bond. Who knows what will happen when the character is up for grabs?
    Two years later, another copyright expires, that of Walt Disney s creations.
    Maybe we will see a mash-up, James Bond vs Mickey Mouse. Anyhing is possible.
  • I may be wrong, but I believe the copyrights expire in 2034, 70 years after the death of the creator of Bond. Who knows what will happen when the character is up for grabs?

With due respect, i hope you won't become a movie producer. :)>- Kidding aside, the direction after Craig is a major cause of concern. I kinda agree with the lighter-darker tone alternate. And also, the prods need to keep in mind the action movie trends by that time. Craig's Bond is inspired by Bourne's less unrealistic action and spying.
    I may be wrong, but I believe the copyrights expire in 2034, 70 years after the death of the creator of Bond. Who knows what will happen when the character is up for grabs?

Actually it is 95 years since the work was published prior to January 1st, 1978.