Strengths and Weaknessess in Moonraker (1979)

2»

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2013 Posts: 17,816
    I actually think Dolly is really pretty! DAF is a much worse film than MR. As a kid MR used to be my favourite film! How things have changed, though I still love it.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Well it doesn't seem to bother Dolly in the slightest so god alone knows what she's got going on under that white dress that's compatible with Jaws' steel tool!

Obviously Drax didn't spend enough time thinking this one out. Cyborgs are clearly the way to go, not supermodels.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I think Corinne's death was actually a strength, reminiscent of Rosie Carver's death from LALD.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I actually think Dolly is really pretty! DAF is a much worse film than MR. As a kid MR used to be my favourite film! How things have changed, though I still love it.

Agreed. MR was the second Bond I saw, shortly after TSWLM, when I was 6 years old so I still have quite a soft spot for it. (It's amazing when you're 6 that you tend not to care about character and plot but a giant laser battle and a big ass space station :)) )

Just like DAD it has some truly awful moments, probably the low points in the series, but unlike DAD I find there is a certain charm about it. I really like the cinematography and I find it enjoyable.
    It's just a moment of humor isn't it - along with a vast majority of the rest of that years release, but the bottom line is, Kiel should never have returned in the first place. The bit where Dolly assists him in lifting the wheel from him wasn't amusing, although it was a relief to hear him say a few words towards the end

Once again, a truly fine adventure, never gets dull. Fair enough Moore goes into overdrive with the humor in this one every now and again, and the Saint Marks square sequence is almost unwatchable, but componsates with a fine pre credits sequence, Lonsdale is a good villain and the background scores are perhaps the best of the entire franchise. Never was one for Bassey's music, but it's probably the best of the lot, over Goldfinger and Diamonds are Forever
  • AgentCalibosAgentCalibos Banned
    At least this movie is a good example of when turning a henchman into an ally fails. The Director claimed that he recived letters from kids asking him why Jaws does not help Bond instead of fighting him, that led to him making Jaws into a good guy for the final half of the film.

Since when did Bond become a kids movie? I bet he was the same person that created the James Bond Jr cartoon.
    At least this movie is a good example of when turning a henchman into an ally fails. The Director claimed that he recived letters from kids asking him why Jaws does not help Bond instead of fighting him, that led to him making Jaws into a good guy for the final half of the film.

Since when did Bond become a kids movie? I bet he was the same person that created the James Bond Jr cartoon.

Lewis Gilbert mentions a few times on MR commentary that it was a family movie.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Lewis Gilbert mentions a few times on MR commentary that it was a family movie.

It seems TMWTGG was too, then, with its lower levels of violence. "Sadism for all the family" as someone once said.