SPECTRE: Thomas Newman is Back! (appreciation topic)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I bet it blows a waterfall out of the sky.
  • zerozerozerozero The far far east
    If we can't have Newman back for the film after SPECTRE, I'd quite like Alexandre Desplat to have a go.
  • bondsum wrote: »
    From what I'm hearing from undisclosed quarters that shall remain nameless, Mr Newman's upped his game and gone big and brassy, @PeterGreenhill. I'm willing to bet my house SP blows SF out of the water.

I really liked the score for SF. If this is true then I can't wait to hear it.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I sincerely hope you're right. We need that sound of sweeping magic.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    bondsum wrote: »
    From what I'm hearing from undisclosed quarters that shall remain nameless, Mr Newman's upped his game and gone big and brassy, @PeterGreenhill. I'm willing to bet my house SP blows SF out of the water.

Which is what I suspected and have been saying here for some time. People have unfairly had a go at Newman in my view, without realizing that his orchestral budget was cut off for SF....so he had to do what he could with what he had at his disposal. That is not the case with SP (where everything is bigger and far more expensive due to the riches from SF). So Newman will definitely bring his 'A' game and we are in for a treat. I am really looking forward to this....
  • I apologize if this has already been brought up, but scrolling through the last several pages I haven't seen any mention of it - but does anyone know when the track listing for the soundtrack is supposed to be revealed? Or when we can reasonably expect to hear excerpts? I'm itching for this score now!!
    I apologize if this has already been brought up, but scrolling through the last several pages I haven't seen any mention of it - but does anyone know when the track listing for the soundtrack is supposed to be revealed? Or when we can reasonably expect to hear excerpts? I'm itching for this score now!!

I don't know. And to be honest.....I am quite impatient now. I really need to HAVE this score!!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I have really grown to love his SF score. Looking forward to what he's done with SPECTRE.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I have really grown to love his SF score. Looking forward to what he's done with SPECTRE.

I'm really excited about it yes. Actually, I WANT TO HAVE IT NOW!!

• aaron819aaron819 Switzerland

CAN OCTOBER 23rd COME FASTER - I WANT THE MOVIE AND THE SOUNDTRACK!! :) :) :)
  • MyNameIsMyBondRnMyNameIsMyBondRn WhereYouLeastExpectMeToBe
    Last October Reserve..!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    aaron819 wrote: »

I cannot wait too, i just hope the Tracklist does not spoil anything.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,588
    aaron819 wrote: »

Samples probably a bit sooner. Remember these?

http://www.amazon.de/gp/recsradio/radio/B0096233ZW/ref=pd_krex_dp_001_001?ie=UTF8&disc=001&track=001
    Gonna buy the soundtrack asap!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I'm ordering it this week.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Does anyone know if it's the complete score?
    Something I made using the "Old Dogs, New Tricks" cue from Thomas Newman's Skyfall soundtrack.
    Murdock wrote: »

Not sure. It doesn't have the Sam Smith song, but it does have an instrumental version of it. This could be a good sign that it is interwoven (the melody) into the score. All the best scores in the series have this in common.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Been waiting impatiently like everyone else to hear some of Thomas Newman's new material and not even so much as a film clip or track listing yet. Therefore I've taken matters into my own hand and written some inferior demo material to keep us all going until the real thing hits!

Next week we'll probably get the first sneek peaks of the score.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 10,588
    Next week we'll probably get the first sneek peaks of the score.
    I'd say sooner, within the next 4 or so days. By this time, for Skyfall, we already had the sample previews for each track. Also we should be getting the track listings even sooner.
  • Let's hope for sooner rather than later!
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

Not sure. It doesn't have the Sam Smith song, but it does have an instrumental version of it. This could be a good sign that it is interwoven (the melody) into the score. All the best scores in the series have this in common.

I'm hoping so. As well as the opening instrumentation I can even imagine the " How do I live? How do I breathe?" part of TWOTW being re-worked into an action theme.

Perhaps the song will be better thought of too if it's ingrained in the soundtrack.
    My copies on order.
    Glad to learn that the title song is on the soundtrack too.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Glad to learn that the title song is on the soundtrack too.

Is it? I thought it's only the instrumental version of it. But I do know that Thomas Newman's long-time friend and collaborator J.A.C. Redford worked closely together with Sam Smith and Jimmy Napes. And the fact that the score so specifically mentions an instrumental version of it could indicate that we do find a lot of instrumental parts of the song throughout the film

It doesn't have the Sam Smith song, but it does have an instrumental version of it.
  • The song is available for 99p on Amazon. I'd rather have more of Newman's score.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    As long as it doesn't contain both the vocal and instrumental versions!

The marketing for this seems as confused as the announcement of the release date. If I didn't know better I'd say there there is either a conflict of interest or a total lack of communication going on behind the scenes! ;)
    Massive news: Classic FM will air the score (unknown how much of it through) tomorrow 10:30am
    http://www.classicfm.com/composers/newman/news/james-bond-spectre-soundtrack/