Last album you listened to?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    WHITE RING_BLACK EARTH THAT MADE ME
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2019 Posts: 23,369
    Six-Five Special Soundtrack

JB's vocals were never his strength
    SIMPLE MINDS_NEON LIGHTS
    PIANO MAGIC_HOME RECORDINGS
    SPIRITUALIZED_LET IT COME DOWN
    LINTON KWESI JOHNSON_BASS CULTURE

Love this album. The first 3 Black Sabbath albums were on such an amazing level.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    LAIBACH_NEU KONSERVATIW
    MINISTRY_FILTH PIG
    BORGHESIA_CLONES
    DEADBOLT_BUY A GUN-GET A FREE GUITAR
    KING DUDE_FEAR
    In preparation for my next trip to London in December, I listened this morning to the soundtack of White Christmas. Got it some thirty years ago for 200 francs (30 € now). Yes, it's the version where Rosemary Clooney was replaced by Peggy Lee, because she was under contract at another studio.

BTW, got a surprise last week : I learned that Michael Brandon (of Dempsey and Makepeace fame) was going to play the General. So, I'll have a chance at seeing him on stage.
    RADIOHEAD_KID A

Already loving The Who after tuning into their first album. This is just one cut in particular I enjoyed a lot. I owe @Birdleson thanks for his enthusiasm and recommendations to me about the band. I decided to just go through the albums in chronological order for the full exploration.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Very nice Japanese "city pop"

THE OSCILLATION_BEYOND THE MIRROR

My favorite track off The Who's second album, A Quick One. I preferred the debut album overall, but still had some fun with this interesting song collection. Much of it reminded me of early Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett!
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 12,269
    Birdleson wrote: »
    You'll notice change when you get to LIVE AT LEEDS.

Interesting. I normally just listen to studio albums, but I'll have to check that one out too. I got to fit in The Who Sells Out tonight as well, which was definitely a step above A Quick One! One track I liked a lot:

Some other strong ones included I Can See For Miles (Of course. It's the most popular one off this album, but for good reason; it's awesome), Our Love Was, Armenia in the Sky, and Melancholia. One thing that stands out to me that I love about The Who is their sense of humor - one great example being a couple lyrics in Tattoo, and also the commercial gag. Pretty excited to dive into the next few albums, which are regarded as the band's greatest (Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia, The Who By Numbers...).
    Yes, don’t skip LIVE AT LEEDS , it’s essential. It’s that necessary link between TOMMY and WHO’S NEXT.

By the way, The Who (well, the remaining two) are playing here tomorrow night. I have to work in the morning, but I’m debating going. I haven’t missed them on a tour beginning with the ‘82 “Farewell” tour.

Two other albums you don’t want to miss are MEATY BEATY BIG AND BOUNCY (a collection of the early singles, some not on other albums) and ODDS ‘N’ SODS (unused tracks; excellent stuff, several became live standards).

Sounds good; I’ll definitely incorporate those. I’ll be sure to listen to Live at Leeds after Tommy. That’s awesome that they’re playing near you; I hope you can catch them! Pretty exciting that they have a new album out later this year. Hopefully it’ll be a success!
    THE CULT_DREAMTIME
    BEAK>_>>>

Tommy. I was pretty blown away by this album. Underture, the above song, is the longest track - an instrumental tune that I particularly loved (has to be my favorite of the album). Some of my other favorite tracks include Pinball Wizard, We're Not Gonna Take It, Sally Simpson, I'm Free, Amazing Journey, Cousin Kevin, Christmas, and Welcome. Really though, this is an album that is best listened altogether! It's exactly what a concept album should be - a meaningful story told by excellent music. I was totally engaged with the story the whole time while listening to the music too, which was very emotional and intriguing to me.

There were plenty of tracks I enjoyed from the first 3 albums, but without question Tommy is on another level as an album and display of musicianship for The Who. I'm extremely excited to see what else lies ahead, because this album was a big win all around.
    FoxRox wrote: »

Tommy. I was pretty blown away by this album. Underture, the above song, is the longest track - an instrumental tune that I particularly loved (has to be my favorite of the album). Some of my other favorite tracks include Pinball Wizard, We're Not Gonna Take It, Sally Simpson, I'm Free, Amazing Journey, Cousin Kevin, Christmas, and Welcome. Really though, this is an album that is best listened altogether! It's exactly what a concept album should be - a meaningful story told by excellent music. I was totally engaged with the story the whole time while listening to the music too, which was very emotional and intriguing to me.

There were plenty of tracks I enjoyed from the first 3 albums, but without question Tommy is on another level as an album and display of musicianship for The Who. I'm extremely excited to see what else lies ahead, because this album was a big win all around.

Got to love Tommy. It's definitely one of The Who's most essential albums.

I'm very much a Who fan myself, and I can only agree with @Birdleson's post above about the importance of Live at Leeds. Besides being a link between two of their most important albums, it's also a fantastic live album. A must listen. Strangely enough I don't own a copy of the album…

From The Who's discography, I personally really dig their early works a lot (The Who Sell Out has always been a favourite). The 70's contained some of their most recognisable work though, with Who's Next probably the standout album of that period. Quadrophenia is probably my favourite of the 70's albums.
    REVOLTING COCKS_COCKED AND LOADED
  • edited October 2019 Posts: 17,291
    I can agree with all of that, but I have to throw WHO BY NUMBERS up there on that level as well. I think it often gets overlooked because it isn't an concept opus as TOMMY, QUADROPHENIA and WHO'S NEXT are.

The Who by Numbers is definitely a very good album as well. It's never been a personal favourite, but it's very much an album to be mentioned. I think I read somewhere that The Who by Numbers is Roger Daltrey's favourite of their albums.

The Who just released this on Youtube, by the way; Won’t Get Fooled Again, from Shepperton Studios, 1978. As written in the video description: "Sadly this was to be the very last performance ever by Keith Moon."

TRICKY_ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES
    In the middle of Live at Leeds by The Who now. Really good stuff; I'm not normally a big fan of live albums, but The Who are particularly good here. Makes me wish I could have seen them live - especially in their heyday.