Craig and the Convent of Solace

Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
edited May 2013 in Actors Posts: 13,350
When Daniel Craig was shooting his second Bond film, he recuperated in some unusual surroundings.

James Bond, with his long line of female conquests, is not the first person you would associate with nuns.

So you might be surprised to learn that Daniel Craig, the current Bond, stayed at a convent when making his second 007 film, Quantum Of Solace, in 2008.

Craig rented a three-bedroom apartment in the converted St John the Baptist convent in Windsor while filming took place at Pinewood Studios, a 20-minute drive away.

Craig’s flat was originally the show home in the complex, partly because it is the largest of the flats but also because of its huge central ornamental fireplace.

The Grade II listed complex, parts of which date back to 1853, was home to the Community of St John Baptist, also known as the Sisters of Mercy, an Anglican religious order of Augustinian nuns. In 2001, the order moved to Oxfordshire, and the buildings were converted into 70 apartments.

The flat where Craig stayed was a peaceful haven for him to return to in the evenings after an arduous day’s filming.

The apartment, which is currently owned by Tom Morgan, 29, a telecoms product sales manager, and his girlfriend Stacie Nickless, 23, a hairstylist, has views over the peaceful internal courtyard of the former convent, and its impressive chapel.

The chapel has yet to be converted – plans have been lodged to turn it into a spa and swimming pool for the current residents, but permission has not been granted.

Tom and Stacie are seeking a home with more outdoor space and are now selling the property for £660,000.

With its cast-iron spiral staircase leading up to a mezzanine level, Tom and Stacie’s flat has all the right credentials for a bachelor pad. Each bedroom has its own en suite bathroom, even the one on the mezzanine level, which Tom says is often used as ‘Stacie’s dressing room’.

Tom has lived in the property for three years and he and Stacie have changed much of the original decor. When he bought it, two cast-iron chandeliers hung in the high-ceilinged drawing room, giving the room the air of a medieval banqueting hall.

Tom had these replaced with crystal-like ones, which were painstakingly hung, piece by piece, giving the room a brighter, more modern feel.

He made other attempts to make the room appear lighter, such as painting the dark wood decking in the drawing room a pale green. He based this colour on a Farrow & Ball shade that he had mixed by a local paint company to save money.

Although Tom and Stacie have put a lot of effort into styling the apartment, they say it could be presented in any way.

‘You could make it look really modern, with all white furniture,’ Stacie says. ‘We joke that it could easily be redecorated by its next owners in sleek, James Bond style.’

The outdoor space in the complex, which is appropriately called Convent Court, is all communal and maintained by a property management firm. There is no concierge but there is a gated entrance. It certainly feels very safe.

‘I never feel afraid if Tom is away on business,’ Stacie says. Tom and Stacie, who are ‘very sociable’, say the courtyard at Convent Court is ideal for parties.

‘Summer is lovely here,’ Tom says. ‘You can sit out in the courtyard all day – we use it for barbecues. The main room here is great for entertaining too. If we didn’t need more outdoor space for our dog, we would probably stay.’

Convent Court is perfectly situated – far enough from the centre of Windsor to avoid the hustle and bustle but convenient for access. It is also close to the M4 motorway for Heathrow Airport, London and Bristol.

Brian Warren, Regional Director at Fine & Country, Windsor, says: ‘James Bond would be at home in this stunning and unusual apartment. The decadent chandeliers, Gothic features and high-rise ceilings embody celebrity style – from Windsor with love.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2326717/007-Convent-Solace-When-Daniel-Craig-shooting-second-Bond-film-recuperated-unusual-surroundings.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

article-2326717-19DA4192000005DC-203_634x395.jpg

article-2326717-19DA414B000005DC-305_634x423.jpg

article-2326717-19DA415D000005DC-584_634x432.jpg

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    What can I say? No I had no idea Craig has stayed in a former convent.
    The photos show a lovely property indeed.
    And sure, I wish I could afford something like this.
    That's about it. I do love old buildings and appreciate it when they are renovated and maintained.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I initially thought this thread was about a new Bond 24 plot scoop, but this is pretty cool regardless. I would love to live at a place like this, in and around architecture from long ago. I am an old soul, after all.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Interesting, I live just a few miles down the road from Windsor, shame I didn't bump into him in Sainsbury's or somewhere.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Wow. It looks incredibly beautiful and relaxing. I'm sure it truly was a great place to escape to after a long day of filming.
    Beautiful place. When I was working in Windsor I had heard that Daniel Craig was living somewhere nearby. But that was after QOS.