Duran Duran Thread

edited March 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 50
Duran are doing ITV's One Night Only next Sunday night, 8.30pm-9.30pm.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/duranduran/week12/default.html

This should be a massive boost for the album, as this show was majorly responsible for getting none other than the unfashionable Phil Collins a number one album out of nowhere at the back end of last year. Collins' show went out on the Saturday night as opposed to the Sunday night, but the Sunday could work better for Duran with the physical release of their album the very next day.

I'm expecting at the very least a top ten album now in the UK, with the only thing possibly preventing this being the possibility of many people having already downloaded the 9-track version of the album and not wanting to fork out more cash for the physical release. But, as far as UK exposure goes, they couldn't get any better than doing this show. This show will promote the band, their legacy and their new material superbly. Really looking forward to watching it, and fingers crossed for a big hit album as a result. Let's just hope that anybody left in the UK who hasn't bought Adele's two chart-hogging albums yet can get it over with and do so this week, clearing the way for a Duran number one the following week.

Comments

This is definitely something everyone should know. I've been hungry like the wolf for more Duran Duran.

P.S. I'm sorry for doing this to all of you.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 4,622
    Quoting Bartleby: I've been hungry like the wolf for more Duran Duran.

P.S. I'm
    sorry for doing this to all of you.
    ==
    No problem. That's the greatest wolf song ever written. Happy to listen to it again!
    Still not sure what to think of the songs, even though the overall vibe is much better than on the last two albums. Guess I´m too fond of the second half of the Cucurullo period ;-) .
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    re: Bartleby

"This is definitely something everyone should know. I've been hungry like the wolf for more Duran Duran."

Please don't come undone. :p
  • http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/80s/content/review-duran-duran-blows-away-fans-critics-sxsw

video on link

"The name of this band is Duran Duran!" shouted frontman Simon Le Bon as his monikered band took to the stage in Austin, Texas, happily playing up their headlining status at Stubb's outdoor stage, during the opening night of this year's SXSW. Kicking off their set with 'A View to a Kill' -- from the 1985 James Bond film of the same name -- Duran Duran played like a band with something to prove. And, indeed, they did have the burden of proof to contend with. But they confronted it head on, by not only showing the kids why they're still worthy headliners, but also by showcasing new tunes that fit right in alongside their old, without skipping so much as a beat.

"This is the beginning of Duran Duran's world tour, right here at Stubb's!" Le Bon boasted, introducing the new song, 'Being Followed.' Which, itself, was followed by the greatest hit, 'Notorious.' And while the crowd only sang along to the latter, they gave equal attention to the former.

To their credit, Duran Duran avoided the dreaded "nostalgia act" label by interspersing chart-topping hits from the '80s with brand new ready-made hits from, well, right now. And given the success of bands like the Killers and Franz Ferdinand, perhaps there's no better time than now for the masters of synth-pop to return and show the young 'uns how it's done. Hence, they were as eager to show off their latest work -- such as the title track from their new album 'All You Need Is Now' (which, by the way, was co-written by Mark Ronson) -- as they were willing to indulge in, say, 'Hungry Like the Wolf,' which drew the expected roar of the crowd.

By the time they encored with their mega-hit 'Girls on Film,' it became obvious that it was a genius call to have Duran Duran down at SXSW -- not only did they get to announce their comeback, but they also got to show everyone, young and old, that they're still relevant and still worthy of a singalong. All told, they killed it. Or, as LeBon phrased it, right before leaving the stage, "That's what we do."

We concur.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    @danslittlefinger Thanks for the link, though maybe that article deserves it's own thread, as it's recent news?
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 886
    Quoting Samuel001: @danslittlefinger Thanks for the link, though maybe that article deserves it's own thread, as it's recent news?
    NP Samuel but this is the DD thread...but please go ahead and open a new one w/article if you wish. :-D
  • Not sure what happened to this board, but I'm still a duranie!

The former dog bond.....
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 5,767
    Wow, the CD holds up great in my player so far! I´m surprised, because I didn´t dig most of the songs too much when listening to them on youtube. Although that video clip contest was a stroke of genius. The CD has a vibe that goes beyond mere song quality and wasn´t there on the last two albums. The difficult-to-explain energy on the album reminds me a bit of Never mind the Bollocks, which is all the more surprising since the latter was recorded over a short period, while this album seemingly took ages to get finished, as the recording dates also allege to.
    Oh, and I listened to the limited edition as well and don´t think the bonus track Network Nation and the Youth Kills Remix of All You need is Now need to be invested in.
    Time for an update here. Rio is one of the greatest, most well-put together, talent-infused albums ever made. That is all.
    Superb! So many great songs! Will be watching this without a doubt! :-bd
  • Duran Duran used to have tea at my late mum's. Tin tin Duffy used to live next door and the boys were given a nice cuppa from my dear mum for their efforts.

Then le Bon took em away to the Rum Runner for proper practice boo boo.
    They were a great band in the 1980s but you don't hear much about them anymore. I would of liked to have seen them featured once again (for a James Bond theme intro) after 1985's A View to a Kill, but it never came to pass. Any group that can produce such decent hits such as Rio, Save a Prayer, Is there something I should know, Skin Trade and Electric Barbarella, can't be all bad. Good to see them have a thread of their own on these pages. One of the greatest musical acts the UK has ever exported to the world
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Yep, love their music and their film clips, which were unlike anything seen before on the then-new MTV. Off the top of my head, my favourite songs are 'Union of the Snake' and the sexy 'All She Wants Is'.
    QBranch wrote:
    Yep, love their music and their film clips, which were unlike anything seen before on the then-new MTV. Off the top of my head, my favourite songs are 'Union of the Snake' and the sexy 'All She Wants Is'.

They gave us some of the most amazing music videos you could ever hope to see. 'Wild Boys' cost almost a million to make I remember, an astronomical sum in 1984, and came after other outstanding videos shot in Antigua and Sri Lanka. Were never the same after the Taylors left to form their own bands and the group had simply lost it's global appeal by 1986 but they're still active and always have time to talk on this particular group subject
    Any of the original five are irreplaceable in order for it to work. I don't care, for example, if there's a singer who can do Simon's parts in a sonically identical way, it just isn't the same.

Also, The Reflex might be the most disappointing song ever made. Forgetting the bad intro, that song has a kickass verse and then things fall apart at the chorus. Seriously, I don't understand how a band who made songs like "Save a Prayer" or "HLTW" or "Lonely In Your Nightmare" can then go on the next year to make rubbish like that. My thoughts, anyway.