Was the final scene with Janet Brown portraying Margaret Thatcher, appropriate, in FYEO?

2»

Comments

• edited May 2013 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:
    As someone who watched it on release in the summer of 1981 I have always enjoteyed this coda. Thatchers policies were beginning to bite and we had terrible riots in Brixton down to mass unemployment and 'stop and search'. The audience howled with laughter as it was taking the piss out of Thatch.

After the tension of the race for the atac it was right to have abit of light relief. The final scene of the moonlight swim amongst the underwater temple has a classy sheen enhanced b beautiful music.

It is kind of silly now though isn't it really!? You can't really imagine the producers going for that sort of thing now with the likes of Cameron. It would just be...silly.

I will admit I do like it as a standalone scene though.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2013 Posts: 12,459
    I bet Thatcher did see it.
    And I agree with @actonsteve that the underwater moonlight swim ending was very well done, it did look classy, with lovely music - and fit the story beautifully.

The Thatcher gag was just a bit of fun and I was okay with it. I love FYEO.
    actonsteve wrote:
    As someone who watched it on release in the summer of 1981 I have always enjoteyed this coda. Thatchers policies were beginning to bite and we had terrible riots in Brixton down to mass unemployment and 'stop and search'. The audience howled with laughter as it was taking the piss out of Thatch.

After the tension of the race for the atac it was right to have abit of light relief. The final scene of the moonlight swim amongst the underwater temple has a classy sheen enhanced b beautiful music.

I suspect the audience laughed because the scene was damned funny, not because it shared your anti-Thatcher views.

I think some did, some did not. Interestingly enough, in North Sea Hijack (or Ffolkes as it was titled), shot two years earlier and starring Roger Moore, also featured Margaret Thatcher, albeit she was never named.