Bond actors that don't suck?

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited May 2013 in Trivia & Games Posts: 17,687
Connery- too confident, too suave, too impervious. He sucked.
Lazenby- too green an actor, too wooden. He sucked.
Moore- too funny, too easy-going, too likeable. He sucked.
Dalton- too emotional, too intense. He sucked.
Brosnan- too Remington Steele, too Brosnan. He sucked.
Craig- too thug-like, too Terminatoresque, too Macaulay Culkin. He sucks.

Hmmm... so there we have it. No good Bond actors.

Am I making any kind of point here, guys?

;)

Comments

• edited May 2013 Posts: 4,622
    Yes sort of, but I can't relate to #1. Connery wasn't too anything. He was just the right confident, suave and impervious. Nice try though, but Sean can't be lumped in with the rest ie having any actual faults, or being too much of anything :P

The others all operate from a starting disadvantage of not being Sean. That's almost an impossible hurdle to overcome.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 5,745
    The point you are making is that not everyone should be allowed to start threads. God forbid we all have different opinions. Sheesh, how rude. Sorry you've been forced to read through our threads, and stay on our forums.

Oh wait, there's the door. And it's unlocked? You must of missed it. Well, see you around I guess, drive safe.
    :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Pray tell what the point of this thread is?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited May 2013 Posts: 17,687
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    The point you are making is that not everyone should be allowed to start threads.
    :)
    I think the point I'm making is one of acceptance of the different takes on Bond. I hear so much about how Moore sucks, or Brosnan sucks, or Craig...ad nauseum.
    There isn't a Bond actor that has made a film that I do not enjoy immensely.
    If my point is stupid, or if my thread warrants no intelligent conversation, then it will be closed.
    And I will accept that decision.
  • Actually, I think the point here is that many of us could stand to be more civil in making our opinions known. And that "sucks" is shorthand for, "This is not to my taste but I don't know how to say so politely." It's a point that some could stand to learn. He that is without suckage, let him cast the first aspersion...
    timmer wrote:
    I can't relate to #1. Connery wasn't too anything. He was just the right confident, suave and impervious.
    After reading the novels, I came to feel that Connery missed the character by enough degrees here & there that I can't consider him as the perfect Bond. But definitely a GREAT one. Dalton came close, but even as much as I love his interpretation, he wasn't 'perfect' either.
    In fact, none of them was.
    So when I see the nit-picky stuff laid onto ANY actor, I guess I just feel like jeeze folks, can we just enjoy their individual takes on the character without tearing down the ones we don't personally connect with?
    I like TMWTGG better than SF, but I like QOS better than FYEO, and I like GE better than FRWL... it has as much to do with the actors as the production and my personal affinity with the outcome in general.

*gets off soapbox now*
    I get the point of your original post. I am having fun with you. To me book-Bond and Connery-Bond are somewhat different animals. And by book-Bond, I mean Fleming Bond. Personally I think Young and Connery perfectly adapted book-Bond to the silver screen, in that they very deftly extrapolated a screen version of the the Bond character from the Fleming source material, thus I hold all other screen-Bonds to the Connery standard as opposed to a Fleming standard.
    I agree with you, none of the 6 actors really quite capture Fleming's Bond. Lazenby might actually be the closest IMO. If one wants pure Fleming Bond, read the books, but I think the original work done by Connery and Young to adapt the character to the silver screen was exemplary, and the Bondmania that was to follow, validates their efforts. Thus I get antsy when actors stray from the Connery persona.
    timmer wrote:
    Personally I think Young and Connery perfectly adapted book-Bond to the silver screen, in that they very deftly extrapolated a screen version of the the Bond character from the Fleming source material, thus I hold all other screen-Bonds to the Connery standard as opposed to a Fleming standard.
    But it was an extrapolation. The first.
    Like your first love is most memorable.
    I grew up with Connery, I stumbled upon Lazenby , I thrilled at Brosnan, I read Fleming and subsequently re-discovered Dalton, It took a while to appreciate Craig, but in turn it let me groove to Moore's near-polar opposite Bond in many of his flicks.

If I were pressed into choosing which movies were closest to the Fleming Bond, I'd not hesitate to say DN & FRWL, because they didn't have the available production choices then to deviate like they did starting with GF. Everything after FRWL (even TLD & CR) are wilder interpretations IMO.
    BUT, the actors in question are almost without fault, even Lazenby, who turned in an amazing performance despite his thespian inexperience. They delivered, even in movies like MR & DAD.
    So, a little kindness to these professionals, please.

I think the first 6 films are all very Fleming worthy, even YOLT, in that they were filmed during the Fleming Bond period or close enough, and were thus able to naturally catch the period vibe.
    In fact all 6 films were released no later than 6 years after their book source material. There was no meaningful timeline separation between book and film in this original decade.
    I think all 6 films caught the vibe of the Fleming books. Even YOLT. Never mind the volcano rocket base, which actually did include elements of Blofeld's castle and the Garden of Death, YOLT did catch much of Fleming's book. Both book and film incorporated much that was authentically Japanese for example.
    By DAF though, there was now 15 years separating the film from the source book, so from this point, while the films could be Bond-worthy, they were no longer of the Fleming Bond period.

"But it was an extrapolation. The first." Of course, but being the first and being wildly successful, I like to consider it the screen standard. The movies are different animals than the books obviously, and Young and Connery set the screen standard. I also don't think Laz varied in any meaningful way. His template was Connery. It wasn't until the casting of Rog, that suddenly Bond seemed different. I often wonder, if Eon had gone with a more Connery like Bond for LALD or if Laz had continued thru the '70s and into the '80s, ie if there had never been a Rog period, if Eon might have insisted on casting in the Connery vein only - if the Connery standard might have become entrenched.
    But Rog threw the range wide open with his lighter and less dangerous approach to the role. Although I don't think Rog was actually able to play menacing Bond the way Connery did, so he had to adjust the role to his own strength.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Well, this doesn't belong in the news section. ;-) Moved!
    timmer wrote:
    Yes sort of, but I can't relate to #1. Connery wasn't too anything. He was just the right confident, suave and impervious. Nice try though, but Sean can't be lumped in with the rest ie having any actual faults, or being too much of anything :P

The others all operate from a starting disadvantage of not being Sean. That's almost an impossible hurdle to overcome.

Well Connery was "too fat" by the time he did DAF ;)
    chrisisall wrote:
    There isn't a Bond actor that has made a film that I do not enjoy immensely.

Same here. I think all the Bond actors did a great job and all of them have made films that I can enjoy on some level.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Yes he was a bit of a porker. Probably the oldest looking 40-year-old in the history of 40-year-old actors too.

• 007InVT007InVT Classified
    Close this discussion?
    Certainly. That point has been made, I think.
    I got the point of the thread chrisisall :)
    Good point
    But seriously folks, each Bond had faults:
    SEAN: a real grub esp. In TB
    GEORGE: couldnt act.
    ROGER: too gay.
    TIMOTHY: physically weak.
    PIERCE: fat and depressed in DAD & TND
    DANIEL: ugly, mumbly, not funny.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 11,189
    timmer wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Yes he was a bit of a porker. Probably the oldest looking 40-year-old in the history of 40-year-old actors too.

You can see his chest wobble under his shirt when he walks down steps in one scene.

I hate to say this but I wonder whether Broz is the physically weak one. There are times in GE and TND when he does look a little weedy (the green camoflage gear in GE and the commando outfit at the end of TND). He does move better than Moore though.

Funnily enough "too gay" was exactly how one of my friends described Moore.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    chrisisall wrote:

;)
    I see you dont like Bond actors.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    chrisisall wrote:

;)

You're making the point that you really shouldn't be here?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

;)

You're making the point that you really shouldn't be here?

Well this is for opinions thats his opinion my opinion is that and that 1st 3 were terrible last 3 were cool.
    This thread will only go one way, arguments and negative comments. We're all entitled to our opinions but why Bond fans feel the need to keep bashing the lead actors over and over again, it been done to death already. Personally I have my preferences but in no way would I say any of then sucked. I enjoy all the cinematic versions of Bond and each actor brings an enjoyable worthwhile interpretation of the character I love. Each have done us proud.
    This thread will only go one way, arguments and negative comments. We're all entitled to our opinions but why Bond fans feel the need to keep bashing the lead actors over and over again, it been done to death already. Personally I have my preferences but in no way would I say any of then sucked. I enjoy all the cinematic versions of Bond and each actor brings an enjoyable worthwhile interpretation of the character I love. Each have done us proud.
    Thats what I was trying to say.
    chrisisall wrote:

;)
    I was trying to make the point that subjective negativity should be kept to one's self. If you don't appreciate a particular actor's interpretation it's enough to give reasons why he is not your favourite, while keeping in mind each actor has a strong fan base here (& everywhere else).
    In essence, NONE OF THEM SUCKED- you just might have personal bias that prevents you from enjoying them is all. :-\"
    I just still don't understand all the love for Connery from a good majority of fans! I mean yes, he was the original, obviously, and did have many great advantages to bring to the table, but in all honesty, what makes him the supposed #1 007? You all know who I give that award to!
    00Beast wrote:
    You all know who I give that award to!
    Umm, Dalton? b-(
    chrisisall wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    You all know who I give that award to!
    Umm, Dalton? b-(

Hahaha! While I do enjoy ol' Tim a great deal, that's not my #1! Guess again! ;)
    That great actor from QOS?
    chrisisall wrote:
    That great actor from QOS?

Bring it back about ten years!
    Not my co-second favourite The Broz!?!!
    Might aswell critiscise a few
    Connery-Too Scottish,Too fat by DAF,you heard his accent a few times
    Lazenby-Had no acting experience,Not European, had a bum-chin,heard his Aussie accent too many times
    Moore-Nothing like Bond in the books,too funny,not serious enough,did too many films,too British,had a bum-chin too
    Dalton-Quite serious,too welsh you head his accent a few times too,had a bum-chin again
    Brosnan-Not Handsome enough,his Irish accent slipped a lot of times,too old by DAD
    Craig-He wasnt really that funny until SF,mostly really serious,his eyes are too blue.

best to worst:Craig,Brosnan,Dalton,Moore,Connery,Lazenby. Its basically backwards.