Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    FoxRox wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    It's dark as hell, an exploration of a man who has lost his soul... God it's an ugly and powerful film.

Shoot, I do love ugly and powerful so I’ll have to see it! I tell you what - I came to this site to join fellow Bond fans, and stayed for for just movie fans in general! We’ve got great collective tastes around here ;)

I agree @FoxRox , lol! When you get around to Bad Lieutenant, please tag me because I'd like to hear your thoughts!!

Thank you, I’ll do that. It feels good to know my thoughts are wanted and appreciated :)

👍🏻 👍🏻 👍🏻
    After sunday's false start, I decided to try my luck again and go see The Boy and the Heron. And I was glad I did. If it's really Miyazaki Sama's last work, it's a really gorgeous way to end a career. Still, one thing puzzles me, though :
    Is Hayao Miyazaki a Whovian ? Because the WaraWara reminded me of the Adipose in the episode "Partners in Crime".
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Gerard wrote: »
    After sunday's false start, I decided to try my luck again and go see The Boy and the Heron. And I was glad I did. If it's really Miyazaki Sama's last work, it's a really gorgeous way to end a career. Still, one thing puzzles me, though :
    Is Hayao Miyazaki a Whovian ? Because the WaraWara reminded me of the Adipose in the episode "Partners in Crime".

Seeing it tonight after having to leave after the first 10 minutes on Monday (slight emergency that became nothing). Saw up to the point where they get to the "new" house and he finds the blocked tunnel. Will report back tomorrow.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 23,530
    maxresdefault.jpg
    A Haunting in Venice a lot has been changed from the book despite that I enjoyed the film, The Halloween Party is low on the list for me.

I think it is the best of the Poirot films by Branagh, his characterization is very far away from Poirot but he seemed more suited to the role in this film. The locations and cinematography are very good, they used many of the same area's that Dead Reckoning did.

Out of all Branagh's films this is arguably his best directed, there were a few shots that made me think of Christopher Nolan, i thought Branagh would make a great looking Bond film. I will definitely be purchasing this, well I tend to buy Christie adaptions.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    A Haunting in Venice a lot has been changed from the book despite that I enjoyed the film, The Halloween Party is low on the list for me.

I think it is the best of the Poirot films by Branagh, his characterization is very far away from Poirot but he seemed more suited to the role in this film. The locations and cinematography are very good, they used many of the same area's that Dead Reckoning did.

Out of all Branagh's films this is arguably his best directed, there were a few shots that made me think of Christopher Nolan, i thought Branagh would make a great looking Bond film. I will definitely be purchasing this, well I tend to buy Christie adaptions.

I thought it was fine. Some shots/sequences did catch my eye, and he's an adequate filmmaker. It was a fun date movie when I saw it months back. I hope he would bring more to Bond tbh.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,530
    day-the-earth-stood-still-1951-dc-1200x675-1.jpg
    The Day the Earth Stood still 1951 in 4K. A masterpiece of the genre, I do view this film differently now than when i was younger (there is one line of dialog near the end I do not like at all).

Robert Wise made three of the greatest science fiction movies of all time, phenomenal director.
    startrektmpde_complete4kuhd.jpg
    Director's Edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture in 4K
    This film is epic greatness, my favorite Star Trek film.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    The Day the Earth Stood still 1951 in 4K. A masterpiece of the genre, I do view this film differently now than when i was younger (there is one line of dialog near the end I do not like at all).

Robert Wise made three of the greatest science fiction movies of all time, phenomenal director.

I concur 100%.
    What surprises me, is how often it is overlooked any time “best of” lists are compiled for science fiction films. And the 2008 remake, while well intentioned, pales in comparison.

BTW: could you give me a hint as to that line of dialogue?
    Dwayne wrote: »

I concur 100%.
    What surprises me, is how often it is overlooked any time “best of” lists are compiled for science fiction films. And the 2008 remake, while well intentioned, pales in comparison.

Its the line where Gort is absolute power of judgement.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 8,723
    Dwayne wrote: »

I concur 100%.

You mean "Gort. Klaatu barada nikto. Klaatu barada nikto"? There are Wikipedia articles in seven languages trying to explore the meaning. There does not seem to be a literal translation of "barada nikto". But it obviously worked as desired.
    The Expendables 3

Finishing up my rewatch of the series. Better than 4, but not as good as 1 or 2. The "PG-13" rating and the crowbaring in of a younger generation of blank face characters really dragged this down.

2 > 1 > 3 > 4
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Mallory wrote: »
    The Expendables 3

Finishing up my rewatch of the series. Better than 4, but not as good as 1 or 2. The "PG-13" rating and the crowbaring in of a younger generation of blank face characters really dragged this down.

2 > 1 > 3 > 4

Exactly my rankings. This was such a great concept but it was degraded by heavy handed attempts at humor and the needless injection of youth.

talos7 wrote: »
    The Expendables 3

2 > 1 > 3 > 4

Exactly my rankings. This was such a great concept but it was degraded by heavy handed attempts at humor and the needless injection of youth.

2 seemed to hit the sweet spot in being its own movie, amping up the veteran action stars, being willing to break the fourth wall with the quips, winks and nods to the camera, and the better directed action sequences.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »
    The Expendables 3

2 > 1 > 3 > 4

2 seemed to hit the sweet spot in being its own movie, amping up the veteran action stars, being willing to break the fourth wall with the quips, winks and nods to the camera, and the better directed action sequences.

I agree, but it started to cross the line. I found some of the stuff done with the Chuck Norris cameo to be particularly groan worthy.

On a positive note, Jean Claude was an awesome villain

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Seeing JCVD as the villain, and Scott Adkins as his henchman, was a bonus.

Though it still bothers me (sound of broken record incoming...), that Stallone hasn't cast Cynthia Rothrock in any of the films. She's in tremendous shape, she can still do her trademark Scorpion Kick, and deserves to be there more than most of the cast of the 4 films.
    Godzilla Minus One : Epic, simply epic. Never has the Big G been so evil. More on that later, in the dedicated thread. Less sure about the 4DX, though. At times, I was more shaken than a vodka martini (I was going to say a bottle of Orangina, but you'd have to be French to understand the joke). Those special seats should come with a safety belt. Frankly, the movie didn't need those bells and whistles.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Godzilla Minus One : Epic, simply epic. Never has the Big G been so evil. More on that later, in the dedicated thread. Less sure about the 4DX, though. At times, I was more shaken than a vodka martini (I was going to say a bottle of Orangina, but you'd have to be French to understand the joke). Those special seats should come with a safety belt. Frankly, the movie didn't need those bells and whistles.

I saw it in a fairly standard theater (very separated rows of seating, and static, which I appreciated) and it was incredible, indeed. When the theme blares when she first sees Godzilla from the train was spine-chilling. I loved the rallying of the merchant marines, the everyman approach, all the speeches were compelling. Really well done. "Not going to war is something to be proud of."
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,943
    I watched The Wrath of Becky...sorry, but...well, yeh. Not funny enough, not fast enough. That Stifler guy was fairly convincing as a menacing alt-right figure surrounded by hapless chumps, though, tbf.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 8,723
    Guess what movie arrived today on Blu-ray.
    81FyPEHtSrL._SL1500_.jpg
    Guess which movie we watched tonight...and once more enjoyed it immensely, including well over an hour 50 minutes (but still!) of making-ofs divided into the five chapters of the film. I like DOD better with every additional viewing, and my wife seems to share this feeling.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    81FyPEHtSrL._SL1500_.jpg
    Guess which movie we watched tonight...and once more enjoyed it immensely, including well over an hour of making-ofs divided into the five chapters of the film. I like DOD better with every additional viewing, and my wife seems to share this feeling.

Nice! I had to order the 4K version online, as no stores at all near me had it! Though 4K isn’t as common in stores, usually big new releases like this would still be available. I think mine probably arrives(d) today.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,641
    I finally got a chance to see the GODZILLA: MINUS ONE.

My one-word review? Superb.

When it was announced that the latest Godzilla offering from Toho would be a period-piece set in the years immediately following WW2, I was apprehensive. Yet, writer/director Takashi Yamazaki made it work by first focusing on (wait for it …….. ) not the 200 foot tall monster, but on the humanity of how people deal with defeat and try to finding meaning amidst the rubble of war. As a result, when Godzilla does finally appear just as the main characters are in the middle of rebuilding their lives, things feel real and compelling.

The two main characters are Koichi (Ryunosuke Kamiki) a kamikaze pilot that aborted his mission and returns to Japan in shame and Noriko (Minami Hamabe) – a woman that has taken to caring for an orphaned baby girl. Together, with few other options, they form an informal family unit (they don’t get married BTW). Eventually, he gets a job on a minesweeping ship and she a position as a store clerk. Things are looking up, but then a certain monster appears and plunges them again into despair and war.

Godzilla-Minus-one-Main-Cast-.jpg

The Godzilla action is really well handled, and movie goers will notice nods to JAWS and Christopher Nolan’s DUNKIRK. Finally, within Toho’s Godzilla cannon, GORIJA (1954), GODZILLA, MOTHRA and KING GHIDORAH: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001) and SHIN GODZILLA (2016) were clearly inspirations for balancing the monster action, human drama as well as the underlying “political” context.

In short GODZILLA: MINUS ONE works because it never forgets the human characters and it makes them – not cookie cutter outlines – but people that we grow to care about.

Highly recommended.

j_w_pepper wrote: »
    81FyPEHtSrL._SL1500_.jpg
    Guess which movie we watched tonight...and once more enjoyed it immensely, including well over an hour of making-ofs divided into the five chapters of the film. I like DOD better with every additional viewing, and my wife seems to share this feeling.

Nice! I had to order the 4K version online, as no stores at all near me had it! Though 4K isn’t as common in stores, usually big new releases like this would still be available. I think mine probably arrives(d) today.

We won't get the DVD until january 10th 2024 here. Dammit !
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 2,075
    Wonka

Really enjoyed it. Great cast, great visuals, some really solid gags (a "night out" sweet provides a great visual gag as well as a reoccurring one) and some great new songs along with a good old fashioned orchestral big band soundtrack. My only (minor) quibble is that Chalamet cant really sing. He can hold a tune just about but not much more. That, and Hugh Grant as the Oompa Loompa is criminally underused.
    Wonka

Really enjoyed it. Great cast, great visuals, some really solid gags (a "night out" sweet provides a great visual gag as well as a reoccurring one) and some great new songs along with a good old fashioned orchestral big band soundtrack. My only (minor) quibble is that Chalamet cant really sing. He can hold a tune just about but not much more. That, and Hugh Grant as the Oompa Loompa is criminally underused.

The question I keep coming back to for this is what is the appeal to me? Why would I go see this? I like Gene Wilder and the concept of a mean candy maker who hates kids but has to find a suitable replacement. This new movie is so far from that it seems unrecognizable. I hate Paddington style feel good stuff typically so I'm probably just a cynic.
    DRAGONSFOREVERBLU_d7c9fb37-3f6d-4048-843c-39e7aef6af9d_1024x.jpg?v=1649474301
    Jackie Chan, Sano Hung and Yuen Biao are hilarious in the crazy film, i loved these movies as a kid when they were originally released and this is one of the best. The three stars are insanely talented with unbelievably good action scenes, the fight between Jackie and Benny 'the Jet' Urquidez is top tier.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 6,868
    Wonka (2023)
    Took my service users to see this today! Certainly more palatable than the awful 'Marvels' film we attended recently! Had high hopes from Paul King as 'Paddington 2' was brilliant! Well though it doesn't reach those heights, it is indeed very entertaining! Chalamet is an engaging lead, and there are a host of supporting actors from 'Paddington' in there, but I agree with @Mallory that there isn't enough Hugh Grant as the Oompa Loompa! Musicals are a tricky one for me, it all hangs on the songs, and though they are not hummable, they are well written ( genius move to get Neil Hannon of 'Divine Comedy' to pen them!) Production values are high, and though its a tad long, its well worth a view and destined for regular Christmas watch!
    Duel (1971)
    I haven't watched this in a long time. It turned up on Telly few weeks ago and I taped it. Spielbergs debut, with a story by Richard Matheson, it tells the simple tale of a salesman called Mann!!! (Man vs Machine, geddiit?!) who is menaced on his car journey by a monster of a truck! That's basically it, but Spielbergs keeps the tension going, and there are great setpieces. The one with the school bus is great, building to a tense and spectacular finale! The truck itself is a great design, totally menacing, we never get to see the driver, only a glimpse of an arm, or at one point, his boots as he walks behind it! Dennis Weaver plays the put upon Mann, a million miles away from his 'McCloud' character!
    Duel is a masterpiece, and it rightly caused Spielberg's breakthrough by making the studio realize he could do almost nothing wrong, and putting him at the helm for Jaws. The rest is history.

As for "Mann" vs. machine, Mann's first name is David (as in "vs. Goliath") as well. Then again, according to the German Wikipedia article on Duel (which is far more elaborate than the English one!), Spielberg is quoted as having stated, „What I was really striving for was a statement about American paranoia. Duel was an exercise in paranoia.“ This is backed up by citing Andrew M. Gordon, Empire of Dreams – The Science Fiction and Fantasy Films of Steven Spielberg, 2008.
    Duel is still a Top 10 Spielberg film for me. I wish he had done more horror, but Duel and Jaws are both excellent to have at least.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Duel is still a Top 10 Spielberg film for me. I wish he had done more horror, but Duel and Jaws are both excellent to have at least.

Yes, excellent film! Very tense. The truck feels like the shark from Jaws; both play with stalker horror themes expertly.