Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited April 2023 Posts: 6,791
    I saw The Third Man when I first got into more than just James Bond (or Peter Pan :))), I must have been 14 or so and even though a film from 1949 must have been somewhat of a challenge at that age, it proved to be extremely watchable and well-paced. The fantastic atmosphere definitely helped as well.

Anyway, now well into my thirties it remains one of my absolute favourites!
  • edited April 2023 Posts: 6,822
    Hue and Cry (1947)
    Said to be the first official Ealing comedy. This is a delightful tale of a group of lads who discover a gang are planning robberies, using a comic book story in 'The Trump' as a code! Charles Crichton makes great use of the post war locations, and the kids are wonderfully etched. Bonus, is the presence of the legendary Alastair Sim, ( as the gin and orange drinking comic writer) and Jack Warner. T.E.B. Clarke was the writer of this, and a lot of the Ealing films, great stories, well told, and Crichton stages a chaotic finale with kids coming from all directions to apprehend the gang.
    As a footnote, Easter Monday, and BBC 2 are showing right now, my favorite Ealing comedy 'The Lavender Hill Mob', followed by 'Passport to Pimlico'
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Dwayne wrote: »
    Somewhere up-thread I also gave the film my recommendation and mentioned the various links THE THIRD MAN has with the Bond franchise. In addition to Bernard Lee, Robert Brown has a small uncredited role, and Guy Hamilton worked on the film as an assistant director, while John Glen served as one of the sound editors. All the film ready needed was a scene in which Kara fights off Harry Lime and the circle would have been complete!

You're right, of course. I also forgot to mention that the BD also contains a kind of making-of, "Shadowing The Third Man", with Guy Hamilton and TTM's second unit and continuity director, Angela Allen. It's actually ninety minutes long and answers all questions (for instance, how did they get the cat to cozy up on Harry Lime's shoe?), and we also watched that last night. Which is part of the reason why I wrote my post at 1:40 a.m. our time. There is also an audio commentary track with Hamilton, Allen and Simon Callow (not sure what his connection to the film is), which I'll tackle in the not-so-distant future.

Parents (1989). This film genuinely scared me and freaked me out worse than anything I’ve seen in a long time. I was expecting more comedy going in, but it was almost entirely just unsettling and disturbing, in key part thanks to the music and a phenomenal performance by Randy Quaid. I enjoyed this quite a lot, recommended to people looking for a good, scary time.
  • edited April 2023 Posts: 1,640
    Gremlins 2 , 4/6....its okay , it mocks itself

Gulltransporten 3/6 , about gold transport in Norway during ww2 so the nazis would not get their hands on the gold , i found this movie meh.....not very exciting
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Parents (1989). This film genuinely scared me and freaked me out worse than anything I’ve seen in a long time. I was expecting more comedy going in, but it was almost entirely just unsettling and disturbing, in key part thanks to the music and a phenomenal performance by Randy Quaid. I enjoyed this quite a lot, recommended to people looking for a good, scary time.

It's a weird little horror certainly. I actually saw this at the cinema! But it wasn't on mass release!

It's a weird little horror certainly. I actually saw this at the cinema! But it wasn't on mass release!

A special rerelease? I certainly wouldn’t mind adding it to my collection. I’m a huge fan of the subgenre of suburb horror, with something evil lurking under the appearance of normality, such as Blue Velvet, Better Watch Out, Summer of 84, Society, It…
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited April 2023 Posts: 8,700
    Tonight it couldn't be helped: The three of us (my wife, her sister and me) agreed that we should watch One, Two, Three again. For me, this is Billy Wilder's funniest movie ever (yes, this considers Some Like It Hot and all his other works). And probably my favourite comedy ever.
    800px-One_two_three43.jpg
    I'm rather sure I wrote this before, since joining the board in early 2017, and also before that in other places. But there is no other film for me as hilarious as this one. I acknowledge that people that were not around in the days when the Berlin wall was built may not grasp the comedy of this. I just can't help that. I could give a host of examples for the sheer genius of Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond.

The movie totally flopped in Germany when it came out originally...because the wall had been built in the meantime (they had to re-enact some scenes at the Brandenburg Gate in Munich studios), and no-one thought that making jokes about the Berlin wall was funny. But being rediscovered around 1985, it was a huge hit.

If you have the slightest impression of how the political situation was in 1961 and still have doubts whether you'd consider this funny, try and find the script on the 'net. And then tell me it's not funny. Fat chance.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Another film to add to my "watch list" thanks to @j_w_pepper ! :))

IMO, while Billy Wilder's post THE APARTMENT (1960) work isn't universally loved, it is in need of some reappraisal. Then again, DOUBLE INDEMNITY, THE LOST WEEKEND (which I just got around to watching two weeks ago), SUNSET BOULEVARD, SOME LIKE IT NOT and ACE IN THE HOLE comprise such a legendary set of films, that how could he have possibly lived up to it? Not to mention SABRINA and THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH!
    SOME LIKE IT NOT
    @Dwayne : Freudian slip? :-)

But I'm fully with you on Billy Wilder's work. I've yet to watch The Lost Weekend and Ace In The Hole (though I have them both on BD), but have mostly concentrated on his comedies, plus the likes of Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity and Witness for the Prosecution.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

A special rerelease? I certainly wouldn’t mind adding it to my collection. I’m a huge fan of the subgenre of suburb horror, with something evil lurking under the appearance of normality, such as Blue Velvet, Better Watch Out, Summer of 84, Society, It…

I think I saw it at the cinema in the late 80's

I too love that subgenre. Blue Velvet is one of my favourite films.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    SOME LIKE IT NOT
    @Dwayne : Freudian slip? :-)

Less a Freudian slip and more a senior moment!!! :))
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I’m watching Operation Mincemeat again and it’s fantastic. It should be required watching for any fan of Ian Fleming.

And the score was done by Thomas Newman, and you can tell.
    Looks good on IMDb. Never heard of it. I'll keep it in mind. There also appears to be a documentary of the real thing.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Just watched it a second time with my dad, it's got a great cast and an interesting true story. Really enjoy it.
    I watched Norwegian war film NARVIK (Kampen om Narvik) the other day.

gU4mmINWUF294Wzi8mqRvi6peMe.jpg

Thought it was pretty good, and it raised some interesting questions regarding the choices one has to make during conflicts, choices that aren't based on their personal ideology or egocentric opportunism, but they're only made in order to protect their loved ones.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2023 Posts: 23,395
    Hollywood-Bulldogs-x1500-M10.jpg
    People of my generation will recognize many of these tough B@$%+%£$

HOLLYWOOD BULLDOGS THE GREAT BRITISH STUNTMAN Trailer 2021

Highly recommended.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2023 Posts: 13,894
    @NickTwentyTwo - If you liked Operation Mincemeat (I haven't seen it yet), then you might be interested in The Man Who Never Was (1956). It's inspired by the real Operation: Mincemeat.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049471/
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Thought it was pretty good, and it raised some interesting questions regarding the choices one has to make during conflicts, choices that aren't based on their personal ideology or egocentric opportunism, but they're only made in order to protect their loved ones.

Haven't watched this one yet, but probably should as my grandfather happened to be in Narvik during the invasion in 1940.
    edited April 2023 Posts: 6,791

Haven't watched this one yet, but probably should as my grandfather happened to be in Narvik during the invasion in 1940.

I was in Narvik a few years ago during the New Year's Eve celebrations and got into conversations with some locals and they told me about Narvik's WW history. It was interesting, in my everlasting journey through Eurocinema, to come across a Norwegian film that deals with this particular subject. For you though, it must be even more interesting than it was for me.

As for the film itself, it's competently made, if not groundbreaking, though it does have some interesting ideas. Especially the way it doesn't look at the situation as a black-and-white / heroes-vs-villains one.
    Blazing Saddles (1974)
    In these days of woke, snowflakes etc, am surprised this Mel Brooks comedy still gets screened on TV. On BBC4 the other night,and still hilarious!
    So rest your sphincters, put on a couple of schitzengrubers, and watch people of the common clay ( you know...morons!) and Lili Von Schtump spoof up the western no end! Randolph Scott must be spinning in his grave 🤣
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Hard Boiled
    After hearing it was one of the greatest action movies ever, my expectations were high and it was finally available on Amazon Prime.

Anyway, I was a little underwhelmed. The action sequences were very good and I enjoyed the end hospital shootout but that aside, I thought the actual plot was a bit boring and it is definitely a product of it time, odd slow mo and freeze frames all over the place.

I do love it when in films basically every gun is way overpowered, especially the shotguns in this film. Guaranteed to explode a motorbike in one hit.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mallory wrote: »
    Hard Boiled
    After hearing it was one of the greatest action movies ever, my expectations were high and it was finally available on Amazon Prime.

Anyway, I was a little underwhelmed. The action sequences were very good and I enjoyed the end hospital shootout but that aside, I thought the actual plot was a bit boring and it is definitely a product of it time, odd slow mo and freeze frames all over the place.

I do love it when in films basically every gun is way overpowered, especially the shotguns in this film. Guaranteed to explode a motorbike in one hit.

I love how the shotguns rip apart walls with explosive effect. It's definitely over the top in many respects but you can't deny how glorious the action sequences are and how well choreographed it all is. I love the opening in the tea shop too, real frenetic stuff that gives you little time to catch your breath.

I was in Narvik a few years ago during the New Year's Eve celebrations and got into conversations with some locals and they told me about Narvik's WW history. It was interesting, in my everlasting journey through Eurocinema, to come across a Norwegian film that deals with this particular subject. For you though, it must be even more interesting than it was for me.

As for the film itself, it's competently made, if not groundbreaking, though it does have some interesting ideas. Especially the way it doesn't look at the situation as a black-and-white / heroes-vs-villains one.

What brought you to Narvik during New Year's Eve @GoldenGun? I've never been there myself, but it's on my list of places to visit.

I imagine watching this film will be a nice refresher in WW2 history. I never got to know my grandfather, so I know very little of his own experiences of being there when it all happened.

If you want to see more WW2 films like this one, you might want to check out Max Manus (2008) and Den 12. mann (The 12th Man – 2017). Both would fall under the category "competently made, though not groundbreaking". There's also Krigsseileren (War Sailor – also 2022), though I haven't seen that one.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Blazing Saddles (1974)
    In these days of woke, snowflakes etc, am surprised this Mel Brooks comedy still gets screened on TV. On BBC4 the other night,and still hilarious!
    So rest your sphincters, put on a couple of schitzengrubers, and watch people of the common clay ( you know...morons!) and Lili Von Schtump spoof up the western no end! Randolph Scott must be spinning in his grave 🤣
    God darnit, Mr. @Mathis1, you use your tongue prettier than a twenty dollar whore! It's twue, it's twue.

Saw that movie in the mid-1970s and loved it ever since. Best Mel Brooks film of 'em all

What brought you to Narvik during New Year's Eve @GoldenGun? I've never been there myself, but it's on my list of places to visit.

Well we wanted to go to the snow for this period of the year, since that rarely ever happens anymore over here, and we also wanted to know more of Sami culture. Narvik was the most northern airport that fitted our budget and agenda, so I suppose that's why we went there.
    If you want to see more WW2 films like this one, you might want to check out Max Manus (2008) and Den 12. mann (The 12th Man – 2017). Both would fall under the category "competently made, though not groundbreaking". There's also Krigsseileren (War Sailor – also 2022), though I haven't seen that one.

I will definitely check those out. Max Manus has been on my watchlist for quite some time.

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2023 Posts: 23,395
    ems.cHJkLWVtcy1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzL2U1YTY5NGQxLTUzZTUtNDAxNi05YzQxLTQzYjQyMDFjM2U5MS5qcGc=
    After several rewatches of this version it's the best cut IMO, tonally very different with a lot more subtext. Brilliant movie.
  • edited April 2023 Posts: 1,640
    Matrix Revolutions 4/6 , just average

Winner takes all 4/6 , Ng as unlucky taxi cab driver that ends up in trouble......Sammo plays a japanese sumo wrestler. Its okay

Asterix - secret of magic potion 3.5/6 , tbh this wasnt really that good , the previous movie "A & mansions of gods" was overall better imo
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Ghosted

Given it’s director and cast, it shouldve been better. Some minor gags work but sadly it just another case of “poor cgi overload, awkwardly insert pop songs, and celebrity cameo’s galore”.
    piranha 2 - th spawning , 4/6