Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Being ( 1983 ) on Amazon.
    A low budget creature feature, which can't seem to make up its mind whether it's a spoof or a serious horror film. Not great just what you'd expect from a low budget horror but it has a couple of big stars in it like Martin Landau and Jose Ferrer.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    5354057.jpg
    Godzilla vs Kong Superb action and visual effects though that's about it, I had the most empathy for Kong and Godzilla, the plot is none existent and the humans have even less to do than usual. The final battle was awesome.

The other 3 films in the series are certainly better written.

Once again, we completely agree, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns . About everything, it seems. Well, perhaps not the ranking. Here's mine:
    1. King of The Monsters
    2. Skull Island
    3. Godzilla
    4. GvK

That's the ranking I would probably go with, Godzilla is a visually stunning film by Garath Edwards though loses points as Godzilla is not in the film enough. King of Monsters is fantastic Godzilla's enemy's and allies appearing elevate it further. Skull Island I rewatched recently, the ensemble cast is decent, John C. Reilly is a lot of fun.

In Godzilla v Kong I wish they had explored the idea and the actually place
    Hollow Earth
    more.

I expect that'll be explored further in later Kong films.

My ranking would be

1. Godzilla
    2. King of the Monsters
    3. Godzilla vs Kong
    4. Skull Island

I enjoyed all of them, so this isn't an indicator that any are terrible.

Agree I found all the films good and improving upon further rewatch, the only one I have not rewatched recently is Godzilla, that may climb my ranking.

When watching Godzilla vs Kong for a moment Doug Mcclure popped into my head, Doug made some fun movies.
    Don't Blink ( 2014 ) on Amazon
    An intriguing mystery, a group of friends head off to an isolated holiday resort but on arriving find it like the Mary Celeste. Half finished meals, cars left running so they run out of petrol, no animal life etc. Then members of the group start to disappear which leads to arguments and tension spreading across the group.
    A good start and mystery but it does fall a little flat, with a disappointing ending,
    One great quote from it is .....
    "I don't know where they go when they disappear, but I've read enough Stephen King to know that nothing safe comes back from that dark place."
    It's been about a week since I saw it but I forgot to come on here to mention it. I get the impression most people here don't care for the Fast & Furious movies anyway, but I wanted to double down on F9 and urge all of you to avoid it like the plague. Whatever your feelings about this franchise, whichever entry you consider the worst... this one is a cinematic travesty.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's been about a week since I saw it but I forgot to come on here to mention it. I get the impression most people here don't care for the Fast & Furious movies anyway, but I wanted to double down on F9 and urge all of you to avoid it like the plague. Whatever your feelings about this franchise, whichever entry you consider the worst... this one is a cinematic travesty.

What makes it the worst installment for you?
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Is it a cop out if I say "everything"? 🤣
    @StirredNotShaken Put it this way, is it worse than Hobbs and Shaw ?
    @StirredNotShaken Put it this way, is it worse than Hobbs and Shaw ?

That's actually the only one I haven't seen, but from what I've heard about Hobbs & Shaw, that movie is Citizen Kane compared to F9.
    :))
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    The Fast films are a guilty pleasure for me, I bought all the other 8 films and Hobbs and Shaw so I will inevitably buy F9 even if its terrible... most of the films are terrible :))
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    The Fast films are a guilty pleasure for me, I bought all the other 8 films and Hobbs and Shaw so I will inevitably buy F9 even if its terrible... most of the films are terrible :))

Likewise, I bought the F&F Blu-ray box set to get up to speed ahead of F9. I am more familiar with F5 through 8 so the first four were fairly fresh to me. I enjoyed the first much more than I expected, I preffered the smaller scope of it and the focus on street racing. Tokyo Drift was also good except I though the main lead actor’s accent was very stoopid.

Anyway, rankings so far

1. Fast Five
    2. The Fast and the Furious
    3. Tokyo Drift
    4. Fast and Furious (4)
    5. 2 Fast 2 Furious
    edited June 2021 Posts: 23,369
    Mallory wrote: »

Likewise, I bought the F&F Blu-ray box set to get up to speed ahead of F9. I am more familiar with F5 through 8 so the first four were fairly fresh to me. I enjoyed the first much more than I expected, I preffered the smaller scope of it and the focus on street racing. Tokyo Drift was also good except I though the main lead actor’s accent was very stoopid.

Anyway, rankings so far

1. Fast Five
    2. The Fast and the Furious
    3. Tokyo Drift
    4. Fast and Furious (4)
    5. 2 Fast 2 Furious

Fast 5, 6 and 7 I tend to rewatch the most they really hit there stride with these movies. I am watching Hobbs and Shaw now, it occurred to me I had not watched the film all the way until the end.

If there is one thing I already thought may go against F9 is that Hobbs and Shaw are not in the film, they are two of my favourite characters from the more recent films. Vin Diesel bores me quite a bit, though there is enough other stuff going on around him that makes the films entertaining.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 2,057
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

It is increasingly obvious that it is the Vin Diesel show going forward, and for me, Dom is the least interesting character. I much prefer Brian (Paul Walker) and the supporting cast (Ludacris and Tyrese are good value, albeit in small doses).

F6 up next and the only thing I can really remember from that is the end chase on a runway seems to go on for about 50 miles.
    :)) yes the longest runway in the world.
    edited June 2021 Posts: 40,473
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Is it a cop out if I say "everything"? 🤣

Not at all! I've dug what the series has become but it's definitely gotten more and more ludicrous and CGI-heavy as the installments have progressed. I'm looking forward to seeing this one eventually but much like the Hobbs & Shaw film, I don't have the highest hopes for it. Might be good for some occasional entertainment and action and that's about it, inevitably wrapped up with a familial dinner scene, I'm sure.

I would argue that most of the films fall more towards the "unremarkable" middle part of the scale, but F9 takes everything bad about the franchise and amps it up to 11.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    She's Out of My League (2010)
    MV5BN2RiZTk3OGMtYzk4MC00OTRmLTk1YmMtZDI5NGM5YmFlYjQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg
    A charming little motion picture with comedic and social motions with fine performances by the players.... 👍
    Rambo Last Blood.

Always an enjoyable gore fest!!! \m/ :-bd

Terminator Dark Fate.

So Judgement Day will happen one way or another! :)) Enjoyable enough though!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SOUL (Pete Docter, 2019)
    Not bad. The animation is at the usual high level, and the story was engaging enough. A little humour, a little emotion. Worth the watch.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    THE CONJURING: THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT

conjuring3_wb.jpg

Ghosts don't exist and the Devil ain't real, but hook me up to a good supernatural horror flick and I'm game. The Conjuring series, another brainchild of boy wonder James Wan, has consistently been delivering the goods since that first film successfully revived a(n un)dead genre eight years ago. Some sequels were disappointing, but the bigger universe in which the likes of Annabelle, Valek and "the Crooked Man" fight Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wildon as Lorraine and Ed Warren, scammers in real life but charming people in their fictional setting, was building fast and kept showing interesting potential.

Yet with The Devil Made Me Do It, the series has hit a new low. The Nun and The Curse of La Llorona weren't particularly good, but literally no scares other than generic jump scares and poorly timed fakeouts is all the recent film in the batch has going for it. Between undeserved "tributes" to The Exorcist and another past-drama-comes-back-for-revenge plot, there's not much here but close to two hours of dull, tenseless spooky horror clichés.

I cannot even recommend this film to fans of the series. The only terrifying thing about it is that it's lost its sharpness. Maybe The Conjuring series needs an exorcism of its own--or maybe it just has to be laid to rest.
    SOUL (Pete Docter, 2019)
    Not bad. The animation is at the usual high level, and the story was engaging enough. A little humour, a little emotion. Worth the watch.

Soul was my #1 last year and, I'm pleased to say, the writers for the film site I occasionally contribute to collectively voted it #1 of the year as well.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Tonight I saw A Quite Place 2 and absolutely loved it ; this film is a great compliment to the original and left me wanting more.

One thing I admire about it is that it isn’t afraid to take….it’s….time. It’s not all about non stop action; it’s also about plot and character.
    SOUL (Pete Docter, 2019)

I enjoyed it, there is one moment in the film that got me and emotionally resonated after the movie finished. Its certainly a film I will watch again.
    the_matrix_4k_75-1.png
    The Matrix 4K One of the very best in the genre and one of my favourite documentaries.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    the_matrix_4k_75-1.png
    The Matrix 4K One of the very best in the genre and one of my favourite documentaries.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    What are your thoughts about the upcoming 4th movie? I'm interested to see how it expands and resurrects Neo and Trinity.
    the_matrix_4k_75-1.png

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    What are your thoughts about the upcoming 4th movie? I'm interested to see how it expands and resurrects Neo and Trinity.

I cant wait, I have intentionally not looked up any details. My guess and probably an obvious guess, it will be another iteration of the Matrix... I still believe Zion was in the Matrix all along... If that is the case It may peel back another layer to something else beyond the machines.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    the_matrix_4k_75-1.png

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns

I cant wait, I have intentionally not looked up any details. My guess and probably an obvious guess, it will be another iteration of the Matrix... I still believe Zion was in the Matrix all along... If that is the case It may peel back another layer to something else beyond the machines.

For what it worth, there are no details besides cast and a potential rumored title. They're keeping it super under wraps. They may take plot points from the mid 2000s online game. I'm thinking along the lines that Trinity and Neo were programs that fulfilled their purpose and then died/deleted, as explained by Rama Kandra in the train station. Somehow they are brought back to life or reborn by the machines that held onto their bodies due to a new threat that takes place in both worlds.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    THE CONJURING: THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT

conjuring3_wb.jpg

Ghosts don't exist and the Devil ain't real, but hook me up to a good supernatural horror flick and I'm game. The Conjuring series, another brainchild of boy wonder James Wan, has consistently been delivering the goods since that first film successfully revived a(n un)dead genre eight years ago. Some sequels were disappointing, but the bigger universe in which the likes of Annabelle, Valek and "the Crooked Man" fight Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wildon as Lorraine and Ed Warren, scammers in real life but charming people in their fictional setting, was building fast and kept showing interesting potential.

Yet with The Devil Made Me Do It, the series has hit a new low. The Nun and The Curse of La Llorona weren't particularly good, but literally no scares other than generic jump scares and poorly timed fakeouts is all the recent film in the batch has going for it. Between undeserved "tributes" to The Exorcist and another past-drama-comes-back-for-revenge plot, there's not much here but close to two hours of dull, tenseless spooky horror clichés.

I cannot even recommend this film to fans of the series. The only terrifying thing about it is that it's lost its sharpness. Maybe The Conjuring series needs an exorcism of its own--or maybe it just has to be laid to rest.

I actually quite enjoyed it as a supernatural mystery-thriller, trying to trace the origins of the curse and connect seemingly unrelated cases. Beyond that, it hits all the usual tropes and is packed with cheap, lazy, telegraphed-from-five-miles-away jump scares that do nothing for me. Surely there must be a better way to scare audiences these days than engaging in this every 5-10 minutes. Lazy.
    Dr. Phibes rises again : Vincent Price hamming it up as only he could, a few very imaginative murders, and a few surprise guest stars Peter Cushing, Beryl Reid, Terry-Thomas, and our own Sandor, Milton Reid. Although inferior to the first movie, still an enjoyably gruesome romp.