Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2011 Posts: 13,350
    You think @St_George, X-Men: First Class is the best of the series? I still think it's X2 but only by a small margin. They're so close for me, I can't seem to really edge one over the other.

Quite an achievement though considering the last two films were devoid of everything that made X-Men good in the first place.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    X-Men First Class: 3.5/5

Super 8: 4/5
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Saw two good films over the last 24 hours.

Brazil: The film which many people claim to be Terry Gilliam's masterpiece stars Jonathan Pryce in a 1984-style world. Darkly comic and very obsure (a little too obscure for my taste), Brazil is an odd but nonetheless impressive experience - 7/10.

Network: ("I'M AS MAD AS HELL AND I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE") To use an old cliche, Network is probably just as true now as it was back in 1976. A damming, satirical look at "trash TV" the film has terrific performances from all its stars, who include Faye Dunaway, William Holden and Robert Duval. 8/10.
    Quite an achievement though considering the last two films were devoid of everything that made X-Men good in the first place.
    I thought X3 was ok but Wolverine was utter tosh.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    "The Green Lantern" directed by Bond cinema's own Martin Campbell. ** out of ****. Campbell's direction was fine. Trouble is, I never really cared that much for the hero and I found the villain kind of weak. "Thor" was a much more enjoyable comic book hero film for me this summer.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Batman and Robin (1997)

I finally watched the last of the old Batman flicks. This one carried on the comic-bookish action packed free for all. Large Budget, spectacular cast, and poor acting all over made this 4th entry in the Batman franchise just as enjoyable, or little enjoyable as the others. Arnold Schwarzenegger portrays perhaps his worst character and delivers his worst performance I've ever seen him. The same could be said about Uma Thurman, which really goes to show that the major flaw in this one just like the previous 3 movies is the poor script. Never mind Batman showing his credit card, this movie is packed with poorly delivered lines and useless action. George Clooney was by far the best of the 3 actors portraying Batman up to date, but Chris O'Donnell's performance as Robin was simply useless, nevermind Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl. The franchise needed an overhaul just as badly as Bond did after DAD.

6/10 for the cast mainly.
    @Luds

Again Opposite
    Batman and Robin (1997)

I finally watched the last of the old Batman flicks. This one carried on the comic-bookish action packed free for all. Large Budget, spectacular cast, and poor acting all over made this 4th entry in the Batman franchise just as enjoyable, or little enjoyable as the others. Arnold Schwarzenegger portrays perhaps his worst character and delivers his worst performance I've ever seen him. The same could be said about Uma Thurman, which really goes to show that the major flaw in this one just like the previous 3 movies is the poor script. Never mind Batman showing his credit card, this movie is packed with poorly delivered lines and useless action. George Clooney was by far the best of the 3 actors portraying Batman up to date, but Chris O'Donnell's performance as Robin was simply useless, nevermind Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl. The franchise needed an overhaul just as badly as Bond did after DAD.

6/10 for the cast mainly.
    I always thought Val Kilmer was the best of the 3 original Batman's/Bruce Wayne's. He had that "brooding", intense quality that suited the character and something which Keaton and Clooney lacked.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    @BAIN123 Kilmer was pretty good as well, what he lacked imo was the extra charisma. Clooney oozes in charisma, I don't care much for him, but I can certainly notice it during his films. He has the star quality folks like Connery, Cruise, and Ford have. I'm still amazed at how his career sky-rocketed after his role in Roseanne.
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 11,189
    "Kilmer was pretty good as well, what he lacked imo was the extra charisma".

That sounds rather like Timothy Dalton ;)

Clooney was ok but his Batman was too camp IMO. Of course he wasn't helped by the completely OTT surroundings but I heard somewhere that Clooney claimed his Batman was gay :-?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Senna

A fantastic documentary... One of the best film I have ever seen. Extremely entertaining. Ayrton : what a legend !! Great footage, interviews from Prost and others... I wanted it to never end... But, alas, you have to relive the 1994 Imola Grand Prix, where Ayrton lost his life at age 34... It's a documentary that goes behind sport, it's a portrait of an icon, a legend, a God for some !! I loved seeing the footage of some fantastic races such as Suzuka 1989, Suzuka 1990, Monaco 1984...

10/10
    Bullit 1968
    The movie is very average but has a very good car chase scene.
    6/10
  • imranbecksimranbecks Singapore
    Currently having a Bond marathon on my own... Last movie I stopped at was Bond 16, Licence To Kill... What a different feel to a Bond movie that was!!! And Bond bled for the first time.... Timothy Dalton was pretty good in that movie...
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited June 2011 Posts: 357
    Iron Man 2
    this is my idea of what a super hero movie should be like, as was the original
    these and the first "Hell Boy" movie are the best I've seen from the genre, with "Spiderman" and "Batman" not bad either, but a bit behind

Salt
    the premise for this had the makings of a good movie, both topical, with the sleeper spy scandal of 2010, and twisty, and I suppose it is reasonably watchable, but like other Phillip Noyce action movies, you are left with the feeling it could have been much better
    of course in order to enjoy this movie you must first be prepared to put aside any misgivings you have about the credibility of stick thin Angelina Jolie as a kickass secret agent
    and be prepared to put aside any misgivings you have about shaky cam and over editing of action sequences
    and be prepared to overlook the occasional glaring plot hole… (and many smaller ones)
    the Russian spymaster turns up and dobs Jolie in why? wouldn't he have been better to just give her a call and tell her we've got your husband, get busy or else
    and having dobbed her in IMO didn't he need to remain quietly in custody, letting the suspicions sink in? rather than kick-assing his way out of Langley and thus blowing any credibility he had as a disaffected Russian
    crouched on the bridge behind a car there was no way Jolie could see the container truck was coming, unlike the camera angle that revealed to the audience her supposed thought process and opportunity for escape
    and so it goes on…
    however I quite like the way the director sign posted little clues along the way, I felt good that I was able figure out the spider venom coma and hostage husband angles within moments of Jolie shooting the Russian President
    and how she never killed any American agents, the way she left a trail of injured men in her wake reminded me of the reformed Arnie of T2
    and Ange also gets to indulge in some tradecraft / homemade weapons improvisation, although it leans more toward "MacGyver" than "Bourne"
    alas the truck jumping got out of hand, but that seems to be the way of things these days, with many directors unable to make the distinction between what is acceptable in a superhero movie and what is credible in a "real" world action movie
    like the recent Star Trek reboot, the film continues to rush along, with increasingly generic action and minimal character development, until the big reveal, which I was "hurry up and waiting" for, having concluded that I knew she wasn't going to be the villain, but having no evidence as to who actually was
    after that I was reasonably good with it until the scene where she knocked off Lev Schreiber in a highly improbable manner
    they should have saved that for later (or for a sequel? yeah right!)
    they are obviously hanging out to make one…

compared with say "Taken"
    the only problem I had with the premise in that case, was the supposed selection of obviously affluent American tourist girls in a luxurious apartment as the victims of the white slavery gang…
    a truly preposterous notion, why on earth would you kidknap girls that someone with money and power is likely to care about, when there are whole countries full of poor women that no one is going to miss? (or no one who can make it count)
    after that I was fine with it, big Liam Neeson was credibly kickass, the stunts didn't get too outragious and his MacGyver / Bourne moments were down to earth
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited June 2011 Posts: 823
    Priest

2/5

where's the other 1/2 of the movie?

without the opening and ending credits, the movie is only 1 hr and 9 min long!!

then they left the ending open for a sequel but this film performed so miserably at the box office, there won't be a theatrical sequel -

maybe a straight to DVD B-Movie sequel without the original stars of the first one!!

What a piece of crap!!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    You think @St_George, X-Men: First Class is the best of the series? I still think it's X2 but only by a small margin. They're so close for me, I can't seem to really edge one over the other.

All the previous X-Men films sent me to sleep, to be perfectly honest, Samster. I'm probably not a fan of the whole thing - it seems very earnest. But Vaughn's effort managed to rise above that and didn't feel as self-important as the others.

Kevin Bacon owned it, though, and must say - unlike others on here, it seems - Fassbender didn't impress me that much. Sorry, guys, he's not Bond-in-waiting for me... ;)
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended

Fassbender didn't impress me that much. Sorry, guys, he's not Bond-in-waiting for me... ;)
    I agree! He is NOT BOND material, not now, not ever!!

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Kevin Bacon owned it, though, and must say - unlike others on here, it seems - Fassbender didn't impress me that much. Sorry, guys, he's not Bond-in-waiting for me... ;)
    I agree. Maybe McAvoy is arguably even more Bond-y than Fassbender... He was fantastic.
    Disneys Robin Hood 4.5/6 , charming

Friday 13th , part 1......4.5/6 , lol I still jump at that particular scene even though seen it before.

Jason X 3/6.....1st time fall asleep seeing it , actually its better than I thought but at the same time stale.

Phantasm 4/6.....thought this was a slasher , its more of a sci fi horror kinda thing though.....couldve been an X-files show.
  • X-MEN: FIRST CLASS
    7/10
    ■Hands down, the best entry in the franchise. I'm really glad the origins of Magneto and Professor X's were further explored, it definately was the drive of the film. James McAvoy certainly is the lead of the movie and enjoys it by showing off his British accent and brand-new reinvention of Patrick Stewart's original calm and down-to-Earth character. These new additions include a sex-drive, hair, and the ability to walk. I personally prefer McAvoy over the last actor to play him, he's more realistic in terms of dealing with the emotions of being different than normal humans. But however, the true attention belongs to Michael Fassbender (played Archie Hitcox in Inglourious Basterds), for his fierce and incredibly realistic performance as the original Erik/Magneto. At moments Fassbender causes you to begin to tear up by the happiness that is brought to his eye by his friend, Charles, and at other moments you can feel the true anger and attempt at redeption coming through the screen of which you watch.
    ■Once you can really take an examination of the plot involving the mutants, it can be compared to the constant struggle of Homosexuals, who often are hated because of their "ways" (being the Mutant's powers), but the heart of the film, is acceptance by the Mutants. The character, Moira (played by Jennifer Lawrence) throughout the film never accepts herself for her "blue" looks, but a kiss from Magneto causes her to realize that she no longer has to hide from her true self. It is a problem that causes internal conflicts in Hank McCoy, and several other Mutants that are introduced into the franchise.
    ■Now, from a filmmaker's stance, the plots and characters are WAY TOO much for one movie, and you begin to think this around the middle of the movie, however, the climax of the movie completely changes you're mind in enjoying this comic book flick. Special effects needed work, and the American and Russian forces needed to be portrayed more realistically by not just standing at the windows and watching Mutants battle.
    ■Overall, this is a great movie and I definately recommend!
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 1,856
    Cars
    Disney/Pixar

The Story of the hotshot rookie race-car that loses and then finds his way, and yes pixar dose it again.Owen Wilson's Lightning McQueen is the ultimate selfish car, putting winning a piston cup ahead of those around him. After a incident (a by-product of McQueen's selfishness) winds him up destroying the little town of Radiator Spring's main road, trying to find his way back to LA.

The Visuals are beautiful at some parts as close to realistic as CGI can get, putting Avatar to shame. The winding hills of radiator springs make you want to go there (i'll get to that in a minute.) and the vastness of the race tracks are an amazing contrast. As a footnote the idea of putting the eyes on the windshield instead of the lights GENIUS!!!!

The characters are well built.McQueen starts as a guy you love to hate but after his encounter with radiator springs turns into a caring car with a heart of gold. The late great Paul Newman as Doc Hudson is sheer artistry starting of as a tough old nut then after McQueen discovers his past he becomes protective. Larry the Cable Guy is Mater McQueen's new found friend in the strange little town is sheer gold at comedy relief and villein Chick Hicks you want to punch in the face, Theres lots more character but i'll end up with the longest post in MI6 history.....

The Story while taking a back seat for about 30 minutes after the events mentioned above. It returns after McQueen serves his sentence and helps and befriends the locals. But soon Doc has the media alerted forcing the McQueen to return to LA. That one simple little scene proves how the media are such *(*)&(*^ to celebs and those around him.

The Film's Highlight is the winner takes all race at the end. A Charictior driven action sequence. It plays with the audience as McQueen has flashbacks to his time in radiator springs. Comedy Relief in this bit is handled by the little Italian Forklift Guido, and this little guy hands it like gold and pulls of his amazing gags. The Final sequence completes MacQueen's Transformation and show's the pull of sportsmen ship in both the players and the crowd.

8.5/10

look out for Cars 2 in cinemas tomorrow, Cars Land opening at disney California adventure next year and spin-off Planes out soon.

#:-s
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Statue (1970)

Strs: David Niven, Virna Lisi, Robert Vaughn, Ann Bell & John Cleese

Alex Bolt (Niven) develops a new universal language, Unispeak, and is awarded the nobel prize. To celebrate this, his sculpter wife, Rhonda (the gorgeuous Lisi) erects (keep reading and you'll get the pun) a statue that to Alex's horror, is like him in all but one area. Upon seeing 'Charlie', Alex is convinced Rhonda has been having an affair and sets of to find the real inspiration behind Charlie, leading to all manner of awkward situations. I can't imagine this film being anything other than a lower point for all involved, especially Niven, who in one scene climbs into a photo booth, and behind the curtain, drops his trousers and undies, and takes photo's of himself.

19. Virna Lisi
    1. How To Murder Your Wife (1965)
    2. The Doll That Took The Town (1958)
    3. Casanova '70 (1965)
    4. La Reine Margot (1994)
    5. The Secret Of Santa Vittoria (1969)
    6. Assault On A Queen (1966)
    7. The Statue (1970)
    St George, you look like a man who knows his eighties movies....... B-)
    Rush hour.
    7/10
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    The Adjustment Bureau 4.5/5
    Unknown 3/5
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited July 2011 Posts: 1,986
    OSS 117 Se Déchaîne (1963)
    Long before Ian Fleming had ever thought of James Bond, Jean Bruce put pen to paper and invented spy hero OSS 117, his name: Hubert Bonisseur de la Bath, an American spy of French aristocratic origins who's parents immigrated to Louisiana. Born in 1949, the OSS 117 spy novels flew off the shelves and it was time to put the hero on the silver screen.

The first OSS 117 flick, OSS 117 n'est pas mort, was produced by Jean Sacha in 1957 starring Ivan Desny. The movie was somewhat popular and a rather comical version of the Jean Bruce novels. The second novel also produced by Jean Sasha, Le Bal des Espions (1960) was produced without rights to the OSS 117 name and therefore the hero was named Bryan Cannon interpreted by Michel Piccoli

It's only in 1963 that producer André Hunebelle manages to get his hands on the OSS 117 franchise for his first of four movies with OSS 117 Se Déchaîne. His big coup: signing american star Kerwin Mathews to portray the hero.

Matthews' version of OSS is very reminiscent of Connery's Bond, a handsome and fierce hero with much appetite for lovely ladies. Nadia Saunders portrays the voluptuous leading lady.

The basic plot of the story is that Agent OSS 117 is sent to investigate the disappearance of fellow American agent Roos in Corsica. Russian agents had set up an Nuclear submarine detecting system which was in the area Roos had been investigating which lead to his death. OSS 117 had to meet with Roos' diving guide Renotte (Henri-Jacques Huet) and his mistress Brigitte (Nadia Saunders).

The movie and plot are like a mix of Doctor No and From Russia With Love, the movie could easily be mistaken for a Bond movie. A strong cast of villains lead by Mayan (Roger Dutoit), the sinister Sacha (aniel Emilfork) and vixen Lucia (Irina Demick).

For anyone who can understand French, after all Kerwin Mathews learned it (!) I'd highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys DN, and 60s action flicks.

7/10
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited June 2011 Posts: 823
    Flashdance (1983)

One of the best movies ever to come out of the 80s.

I haven't seen this movie in almost 20 years and this is my first viewing on the DVD format!!

It's also Jerry Bruckheimer and Don Simpson's first collaboration and one of screenwriter Joe Eszterhas' first scripts and Adrian Lyne's first movies!!

10 out of 10!!

=D>

If you give up your dreams, you Die!
    Flashdance - 1983
    Went to see Stake Land the other night and was quite impressed. It comes across like a Romero zombie flick but with an animalistic take on vampires. Very grim but well worth it.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    "The Cheap Detective" (1978) to honor the memory of Peter Falk. Neil Simon's terrific send up of Humphrey Bogart films which cleverly mixes the plots of "Casablanca", "The Maltese Falcon" and "The Big Sleep" with a terrific cast.
  • Star Wars: The origional Trilogy:

Star Wars: A new hope - 9.25/10 - Great movie, grew-up with this trilogy, (Along with episode 1) nearly 20 years after release, because of this release.

The Empire Strikes Back - 9/10 - Love the ending.

Return of the Jedi - 9.5/10 - Just a really good movie, great end fight scenes too.

Star Wars: Prequel Trilogy:

The Phantom Menace - 8/10 - The weakest in my opinion, though mainly around the start of Tatooine and onwards is pretty entertaining, along with yet another entertaining lightsaber duel, with a fabulously menacing villain.

Attack of the clones - 9/10 - Great movie, i like how it points out the ways of how Anakin is slowly becoming lord Vader, oh and again fabulous battle scenes and pretty decent lightsaber duel, though not in my favourites.

Revenge of the Sith - 9.5/10 - Rememberseeing it at the cinemas, and has always been my favourite of the modern trilogy. It's got a great tone to it, with some dramatic scenes, great for seeing how Skywalker becomes Darth Vader through love and hatered.

Star Wars will always be on my favourite's list, there's nothing else like it, i love the origional trilogy, even having not grown-up in it's origional time, and i quite enjoy the new trilogy too. Great none-the less.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited July 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Banco à Bangkok pour OSS 117 (1964)

Directed again by André Hunebelle and starring Kerwin Mathews as OSS for their second outing, Banco à Bangkok brings more action, more suspense, and more colors. The second outing being shot in colors, the beautiful locations are more obvious in this outing, where most of the action takes place in Thailand.

Villain Dr. Sinn (Robert Hossein) wants to release a plague upon all nations in possession of nuclear weapons. Sent to investigate the murder of fellow American agent Christopher Lemmon (Raoul Billerey), our hero Hubert encounters Leasock (Henri Virlojeux) the American's liaison in Bangkok and his lovely secretary Eva Davidson (Dominique Wilms)

OSS needs to operate with caution as he suspects Miss Davidson of being a leak. Or perhaps should he be careful with Dr. Sinn's lovely sister Lila (Ana Maria Pier Angeli)

Nevertheless, in Thailand, OSS can count on Lemmon's right hand man, Sonsak (Akom Mokranond).

This movie should be very familiar to any Bond fan, it basically follows the same formula as early Bond flicks. There's OSS' chief handing him an assignment, the encounter with the local contact, the flirt with the villainess, the meeting with the main villain, a few fights with henchmen, OSS getting caught, or in this case, faking being drugged, and his rescue with the help of the secondary girl finding out that her brother is evil, as well as an ally.

I'd recommend this to any Bond fan again, who can understand French. This movie is comparable with DN in terms of feel and locations, a very enjoyable adventure.

6.5/10