Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2011 Posts: 13,882
    Frankenstein's Bloody Terror (1968)

Not only did this film mark a career defining move for Naschy (it was his first horror film), but also it marked the first time he would play the part of his most famous role, the lycanthropic, Waldemar Daninsky. A role that he would play in a total of 12 films, between 1968 and 2004. What's more surprising, is that the role wasn't even written for Naschy, but Lon Chaney jr. When the filmakers saw the frail 61 year old Chaney jr, they knew they had to recast. Naschy, who wrote the film, stepped in at theh last minute, and the rest is as they say, is cult movie history.

The film follows Count Waldemar Daninsky, after his attacked by a wolf, fearing the changes happening to his body, Daninsky seeks help from a mysterious scientist and his wife. It turns out that they're vampires. Don't ask where Frankenstein comes into the story, because he doesn't. US cinemas promised a Frankenstein film, and when they couldn't secure one, they picked this one up, renamed it, and packaged it as such.

16. Paul Naschy
    1. Panic Beats (1983)
    2. Frankenstein's Bloody Terror (1968)
    3. Crimson (1976)
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

The original piece of anti-communist propaganda by Hollywood. Starring Kevin McCarthy ("they're here already! You're next! You're next!), the film tells the story of a small town whose residents are taken over by extra-terrestrial pods. The replicas are the same as normal people except completely devoid of emotion or character.

Subtle? Of course not. Hammy? Certainly. However IOTBS is crucial for those interested in the history of Hollywood.

p.s. it was remade most recently most recently in 2007 (The Invasion) with Danny Craig and Nicole Kidman.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 139
    On the flight home from Florida last week I watched:

Tron Legacy: Really enjoyed it. Don't think it deserved the mauling it's taken. After the first movie's origninal release, I always dreamed of a sequel. And for me it didn't disappoint (especially the flashback of Tron bravely defending Flynn).

&

True Grit: Again, really enjoyed it as it felt much more true to the novel.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Thor (2011)

At last a superhero film with character, well worth watching in my opinion. A great start to the "Summer".
    The Fighter

It's a very good movie, but at the same time I came away from it a bit disappointed. There could have been a few more boxing scenes in the film, and the storyline at times feels a bit rushed. The acting is quite good in the film, although I thought that Amy Adams was far more deserving of an Oscar for her work than Melissa Leo was in this one.

A good movie, to be sure, but one that I expected quite a bit more from considering it was nominated for Best Picture.

3.5/5
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited May 2011 Posts: 3,262
    TMWTGG Ultimate Edition with the Roger Moore commentary. It's my first UE which I bought since there was a scratch on my SE DVD TMWTGG. I must say, I'm really impressed by the UE digital remastering look of the film. I really enjoyed Sir Rog's commentary and would like to hear his others. I like how he commented at the end he thought TMWTGG was good. He says it was his 1st time seeing it since its premiere. My only disappointment with the UE DVD is it didn't include the deleted footage of the Bond vs. Scaramanga gun duel at the end. Now, I'm debating whether I should buy UEs for TB, TLD, OHMSS, YOLT, OP and MR or wait to purchase a blue ray player.
    THE RESIDENT

Terrible. I was expecting quite a bit more considering the talent involved (Hilary Swank, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and Christopher Lee). The result of all that talent is a jumbled mess of a film that, unfortunately, is quite boring.

1.5/5
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 11,189
    12 Monkeys

A delightfully weird pre-Matrix science fiction tale from surrealist Terry Gilliam. Solid performances from Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt along with inventive, elaborate cinematography ensure a rewarding experience.

8/10
    THE KING'S SPEECH

A very good film, although one that I'm not convinced should have won Best Picture. A deserving nominee, sure, but of those nominated, I'd place several ahead of it in the pecking order (The Social Network, Black Swan, and 127 Hours are films I'd easily rank ahead of this one). Still, a rather good film with a very good performance from Colin Firth.

4/5
    Kellys Heroes 5/6

Im gonna watch Papillon next , its prolly good......
    Romancing the Stone (1984) and The Jewel of the Nile (1985)

Great adventure films and hey, for once an Indy rip-off worked. A good way to pass 3 and a half hours.

If only another one was made. :-((
  • Turned my brain off and watched 'Crank' on the train this morning.....
    edited May 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Turned my brain off and watched 'Crank' on the train this morning.....
    You'll need it replaced after watching Crank 2.
  • That'll be tomorrow.....
    Just be thankful they're won't be Crank 3 then @The_Preacher711. ;-)
  • Really? I'm devastated!!! No Transporter 4 either then?
    edited May 2011 Posts: 13,350
    DELETED: What on Earth?! I click submit and my comment was posted twice! What's up with that...

When I try to edit both of these posts, I have the above deleted messege appear, even in the intended post - which for some reason is below.

I have no idea what's going on. Sorry all. X(
  • Phew... My day/life was nearly ruined for a moment then....
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited May 2011 Posts: 357
    Deadlier Than The Male
    I won't insult this film by calling it a "spoof" because IMO it's not generally played for laughs
    this is a genuine attempt to copy the "Bond formula" and create an action / adventure which contains humour
    in that sense DTTM has much more in common with the 80s movies who sought to distil the "formula" and replicate the huge success of the Bond franchise, which they were able to do with considerable success,
    than it does with the more familiar Bond spoofs of the period in which it was made (the 60s), where silliness and camp humour was too often allowed to undermine and overwhelm any sense excitement or tension
    in this movie everyone plays it straight, there are no sly nods or winks to the audience, or camp over the top performances and the movie is all the better for that
    the hero is named "Hugh Drummond" (more familiar as Bulldog Drummond, but never referred to as such here), but the character portrayed is pure "Connery Bond" and Richard Johnson is probably the most convincing substitute for the real thing I've seen
    it helps that we are actually still in the 60s and so the period detail surrounding the character is still contemporary
    but the real ace in the pack is Richard Johnson, who's performance displays a fine understanding of the nuances of the "Movie Bond" character, saying as much with the inflection of his voice and a slight adjustment of his facial expression as with dialogue, which he delivers with understated dry wit
    like any good Bond he appears quietly confident in himself, but not smug, not pushing himself forward and demanding attention,
    he is suave, with a dry self depreciating wit and often appearing slightly amused by what's going on around him
    he lets the good things in life come to him, allows things to develop, anticipates most eventualities and has options in mind
    and he is capable of delivering the same flashing, steely glances of dark determination as Connery when comes time to get down to business
    on the down side he's only an insurance investigator…
    he's also saddled with a young American sidekick, to increase his appeal across the ditch, but this works out ok as the actor chosen is also an appealing performer who's eager naivety provides an effective counterpoint to "Drummond Bond's" composed experience
    with beautiful girls, Mediterranean locations, occasional touches of the exotic and bizarre, as far as "ersatz" Bond movies go this is about as good as it gets

looking forward to the sequel, "Some Girls Do", however I see that features robots (female of course), so it may well turn out to be another case of the sequel going to far

Note - apparently Richard Johnson was Terence Young's original preference to play James Bond, but he turned the producers down, as he didn't favour a lengthy contract…(yeah right?)
    I watched an interview with him that was a DVD extra, in real life his mannerisms and demeanour are much like the character he played, so it may have been as much luck as skill that made him so well suited to the role
    his brief marriage to Kim Novak broke up around the time this movie was made… hmmmm, any connection?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited May 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Latest flicks I've watched are...

The Seventh Seal (1957) - interesting and iconic; indeed, but I don't rate it as highly as many
    Elizabeth (1998) - visceral, fast and fine historical drama
    The Darjeeling Limited (2007) - very quirky, stripped-down, yet satisfying spiritual-esque road-trip through India fare
    Escape To Victory (1981) - awesome (in its way)
    Hope Springs (2003) - rather quirky, yet still formulaic rom-com
    Octopussy (1983) - still fun after all these years
    Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999) - Still funny after all these years
    Quantum Of Solace (2008) - still not wholly satisfying after two-and-a-bit years
    and...
    Night Watch (1995) - so bad it's good ;)

In which case, time for an update of my list, methinks...

The flicks I've watched in 2011

CW = Cinema watch
    FW = First watch
    RW = Re-watch

5 out of 5 ~ *****
    Elizabeth (1998) RW
    The King's Speech (2010) CW/ FW
    Layer Cake (2004) FW
    They Shoot Horses, Don't They (1969) FW
    WALL.E (2008) RW

4 out of 5 ~ ****
    Alpha Male (2006) RW
    Beverly Hills Cop (1984) RW
    Los Cronocrímenes (Timecrimes) (2007) FW
    The Darjeeling Limited (2007) FW
    The Departed (2006) RW
    The Killing Fields (1984) FW
    Scener ur ett äktenskap (Scenes From A Marriage) (1973) FW
    Det sjunde inseglet (The Seventh Seal) (1957) FW

3 out of 5 ~ ***
    Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999) RW
    Birthday Girl (2001) FW
    Brideshead Revisited (2008) FW
    Cote d'Azur (Cockles And Mussels) (2005) FW
    Escape To Victory (1981) RW
    Female Agents (2008) FW
    Forgetting Sarah Marshall (2008) FW
    Genova (2008) FW
    The Ghost Writer (2010) FW
    Girl With A Pearl Earring (2003) RW
    Hallam Foe (2007) FW
    Hope Springs (2003) FW
    Monkey Business (1952) RW
    Octopussy (1983) RW
    Proof (2005) FW
    Quantum Of Solace (2008) RW
    Les Rivières Pourpres (The Crimson Rivers) (2000) FW
    Sweet Charity (1969) FW
    Trust The Man (2005) FW

2 out of 5 ~ **
    Déficit (2007) FW
    Lesbian Vampire Killers (2009) FW
    Night Watch (1995) RW

1 out of 5 ~ *

• PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    [b]Deadlier Than The Mail[/b]
    I won't insult this film by calling it a "spoof" because IMO it's not generally played for laughs
    this is a genuine attempt to copy the "Bond formula" and create an action / adventure which contains humour
    in that sense DTTM has much more in common with the 80s movies who sought to distil the "formula" and replicate the huge success of the Bond franchise, which they were able to do with considerable success,
    than it does with the more familiar Bond spoofs of the period in which it was made (the 60s), where silliness and camp humour was too often allowed to undermine and overwhelm any sense excitement or tension
    in this movie everyone plays it straight, there are no sly nods or winks to the audience, or camp over the top performances and the movie is all the better for that
    the hero is named "Hugh Drummond" (more familiar as Bulldog Drummond, but never referred to as such here), but the character portrayed is pure "Connery Bond" and Richard Johnson is probably the most convincing substitute for the real thing I've seen
    it helps that we are actually still in the 60s and so the period detail surrounding the character is still contemporary
    but the real ace in the pack is Richard Johnson, who's performance displays a fine understanding of the nuances of the "Movie Bond" character, saying as much with the inflection of his voice and a slight adjustment of his facial expression as with dialogue, which he delivers with understated dry wit
    like any good Bond he appears quietly confident in himself, but not smug, not pushing himself forward and demanding attention,
    he is suave, with a dry self depreciating wit and often appearing slightly amused by what's going on around him
    he lets the good things in life come to him, allows things to develop, anticipates most eventualities and has options in mind
    and he is capable of delivering the same flashing, steely glances of dark determination as Connery when comes time to get down to business
    he's also saddled with a young American sidekick, to increase his appeal across the ditch, but this works out ok as the actor chosen is also an appealing performer who's eager naivety provides an effective counterpoint to "Drummond Bond's" composed experience
    with beautiful girls, Mediterranean locations, occasional touches of the exotic and bizarre, as far as "ersatz" Bond movies go this is about as good as it gets

looking forward to the sequel, "Some Girls Do", however I see that features robots (female of course), so it may well turn out to be another case of the sequel going to far

Note - apparently Richard Johnson was Terence Young's original preference to play James Bond, but he turned the producers down, as he didn't favour a lengthy contract…(yeah right?)
    I watched an interview with him that was a DVD extra, in real life his mannerisms and demeanour are much like the character he played, so it may have been as much luck as skill that made him so well suited to the role
    his brief marriage to Kim Novak broke up around the time this movie was made… hmmmm, any connection?
    Happy to read you enjoyed DTTM, Seve. I'm sure MajorDSmythe will be also.

This is a good review of it-

http://doubleosection.blogspot.com/2009/01/movie-review-deadlier-than-male.html
    Ha ha, it was actually OHMSS last night!
    Before that it was Greystoke : the Legend of Tarzan on Saturday & Thor on Friday.
  • Once Upon A Time In America: 10/10

Wow...just wow. Sergio Leone's last great film, Ennio Morricone's last great score...poignant in more than one way. I loved how the hauntingly brilliant 'old man' scenes were interspersed with the frantic 'young man' scenes and the memorable 'child' scenes. Ooh, the word 'scenes' three times in one sentence there. Robert De Niro was utterly superb, the first time I've seen an actor convincingly play the same character years apart since Citizen Kane :P

Once Upon A Time In The West: 8/10

Similar title, same director, same composer, wildly different film. Fonda puts in one of my all-time favourite villain performances, and it's one of the few films that manages to combine a clever plot, wonderful cinematography and superb acting. It doesn't quite top The Good, The Bad and The Ugly for the best Western ever, but it's bloody close.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2011 Posts: 13,882
    [b]Deadlier Than The Mail[/b]

Happy to read you enjoyed DTTM, Seve. I'm sure MajorDSmythe will be also.

This is a good review of it-

http://doubleosection.blogspot.com/2009/01/movie-review-deadlier-than-male.html
    I am indeed. :) A very fine review, the writer knows their onions and it shows. 'Blonde. Brunette. Redhead' I'll take the blonde, please.

It's nothing against Koscina, but if I had to make any change to DTTM, i'd have to replace her with Virna Lisi. Sommer and Lisi, for me, would make a perfect female assassin duo. I think it's a shame that Johnson wasn't Bond, and Sommer a Bond Girl. Two missed opportunities, right there, IMHO. Some Girls Do was... alright, just don't compare it to DTTM.:-D

Last film I watched was...

Burning Bright (2010)

That was rather good. An interesting concept (a young woman is, during a hurricane, trapped in her house with her autistic young brother and a very hungry tiger) that I wasn't sure could be pulled off without ending up as unintentionally funny, but it actually worked, and with a straight face, too.
    Thomas Crown Affair (original)

I'd seen the '99 remake and really, really enjoyed it. Love this one as well. And Faye Dunaway looked absolutely amazzzzzzzzzzing. ;-)
    Thor!!!! and the 3d didn't suck too bad either which is a nice bonus because usually it does.
    Also saw Scream 4. Its a hoot. As good as any of the originals.

Both movies get 5 out of 5!! May see Thor a couple more time on big screen.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    The Thomas Crown Affair (1968)

5/5

did you know Sean Connery was initially offered the role and he turned it down and then later said he regretted not making this film?
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited June 2011 Posts: 357
    JCVD
    JCVD was an action star of the 90s, who never quite managed to make it to the very top of the mountain
    critics were scathing about his acting abilities and he wasn't able to bring the tongue in cheek charm that allowed others, like Arnie and Roger Moore, to make up the difference
    by the new millennium he was in "straight to dvd purgatory"
    toward the end of the decade he got lucky with "Till Death", which while still no masterpiece, somehow rose above it's origins to be better than it really had any right to be
    and this novel concoction, which is part action, part satire, part thriller, part heist, part personal confessional
    it has some action, but most of that is during the opening credits, thereafter it attempts to work on multiple levels, as thriller and a satire, and IMO largely succeeds
    performed largely in Belgic-French (Waloonese?) it offers JCVD his best opportunity yet to demonstrate some acting ability
    the soliloquy he delivers, while breaking the fourth wall near the climax of the movie, may be muddled, but the conviction in his delivery of it is genuinely impressive, displaying a wide range of passion and emotion to the edge of breakdown and back again
    is it the benefit of age and experience? or the result of having the opportunity to work largely in his mother tongue for once? or was he always tragically held back by those in the industry who saw him only as "the muscles from Brussels" and handicapped by the one note material he had to work with… (yeah right)
    it would have made a nice swansong for his career, but of course he's kept going, flogging his franchise movie "Universal Soldier" for all it's worth and beyond
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I agree about JCVD, it's a surprisingly decent flick and performance by the man. Made me want to order a bunch of his old films too. :-bd
    Pirates of the Caribbean 4. Easiest review I can give is that they still should've stopped after the first one. It amazes me how much I love the first film and hate the next three.