If you are a fan of "_________" you're clearly daft.

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited March 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 17,691
I have a lot of fun here, and have learned many amazing tidbits of information, but one thing boggles me a bit; why, when someone gives reasons for being a fan of a certain movie, is there always someone who feels that person needs to be reprimanded in some way? I've seen people say they love DAD shot to pieces. And qualifying it with "I know it's not great, but I still have fun with it" seems to mean nothing; you're a moron if you like it. Now, I dislike the movie myself, but I can totally understand somebody who can squeeze some high-octane entertainment out of it no matter what I think.
On the flip side, point out one of the many plot holes of Skyfall, and the heat seekers get launched. What? You can't like a movie AND acknowledge its flaws? Like my favourite Bond (TLD) has no plot holes? Seriously, I can't point out a single plot hole in Bourne Identity through Bourne Supremacy. Why? Because I just don't care enough to give any of them a second look. We pick on stuff in movies WE WATCH & LIKE.

Bottom line, before you whip out the put down list (your credibility is gone/how old are you/you're clearly daft/good taste isn't among your attributes), remember, somewhere in your closet lurks a movie that you like and many others do not, and that it doesn't mean you're an idiot for liking it, okay? I've heard reasoned arguments for liking Howard The Duck (not joking) that make sense.

Just a treat those how we wish to be treated thing. :)>-

Comments

Or you can take the criticism and move on like the rest of us. You be you n' all that.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Or you can take the criticism and move on like the rest of us. You be you n' all that.

You miss my point, how is "You're clearly daft" criticism? In my mind, criticism implies some sort of reasoning, discussion possibly, but to toss out a put down because you can't or won't argue or understand a point is the stuff of school yards. I've often heard the term "We must agree to disagree then" used, it's far superiour to "How old are you?" as parting remark conducive to intelligent conversation on future topics. B-)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I agree, @chrisisall. People can too often comes across as mean spirited and not allowing others to express their opinion. The language on both sides can get dragged down quickly, sad to say.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think you make a good point. If somebody said DAD or QOS was their favourite Bond movie I'd probably call them mental, but then I love some movies that aren't thought of highly such as Rambo 3, TWINE and plenty of slasher sequels others would consider terrible.

I also agree on your SF point. Some things (mainly SF and Daniel Craig right now) seem immune to criticism on this site because the majority love them and can't tolerate people criticising them, but it is possible to like something but also point out flaws in it (even LTK, my favourite Bond movie, I can find flaws in).
    I agree, @chrisisall. People can too often comes across as mean spirited and not allowing others to express their opinion. The language on both sides can get dragged down quickly, sad to say.
    And don't get me wrong, an occasional "Are you INSANE???" or the like does serve to liven up a discussion, as long as the actual discussion continues. :))
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    I'd probably call them mental, but then I love some movies that aren't thought of highly such as Rambo 3, TWINE and plenty of slasher sequels others would consider terrible.

Hey, i love TWINE. :D
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    I do as well, but one must admit its many flaws. Except the "pain face" thing; that's up for interpretation IMO.
    ;)
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    chrisisall wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    I do as well, but one must admit its many flaws. Except the "pain face" thing; that's up for interpretation IMO.
    ;)

The pain face's the best thing of the film hahaha

About your point; I guess that the people should reconsider the critics and make construcitve ones instead of trying to judge everyone just because of their tastes. It's just something awful, no one respects that anymore.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    instead of trying to judge everyone just because of their tastes.
    One of the funniest things I ever saw on Saturday Night Live was a review of the period movie "Reds" by a dentist. He said the movie was a terrible failure because people of the day had mostly broken, yellowed & missing teeth and that all the people in that movie had pretty straight white teeth.
    So much for objectivity, eh?
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited March 2013 Posts: 1,329
    The annoying thing I find is the fanboys that each of the 6 bond actors have. There is a willingness to slaughter anyone who says anything positive about all but people's favourite actor. So for instance someone who loves dalton , can't love lazenby, or brozzers and so on. I loathe this approach and as much as its a free country , why can't people just find something's to appreciate and enjoy from all of the bonds tenures. This goes for the films as well.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Unfortunately, there are several people who, if you say something they perceive to be 'out of line' or 'stupid' or 'makes no sense,' they seem poised at a seconds notice to hit you with sarcasm. It's as if they stay on this site, keep hitting refresh, just to pounce. Must make them feel better. I can think of two who do it all..the..time.
    DCisared wrote:
    The annoying thing I find is the fanboys that each of the 6 bond actors have. There is a willingness to slaughter anyone who says anything positive about all but people's favourite actor. So for instance someone who loves dalton , can't love lazenby, or brozzers and so on.
    Precisely!! And I don't get that because I like ALL the actors, just some more than others.
    @=bg= I don't mind sarcasm in shots, but when it's fully automatic it's usually hiding an inability to actually argue the point(s).
    edited March 2013 Posts: 1,400
    @chrisisall
    You are right on that. I mean, I've been here awhile- I had well over 2500 posts or so in the previous site format, so I know how it works. It just seems the vitriol has increased.
    While I think this site is extremely diverse in taste, I think it's one of the more friendly fan sites of any series that I've visited. Yes, there are arguments on here, but it's mainly a clash of tastes, Who's the better bond, realism vs. fantasy.

A few other sites I've been to, namely a Ghostbuster and Metal Gear forum, had people arguing over literally nothing. People being mean spirited for the sake of being that way. I mean Ghostbusters, lets argue over the two movies and a cartoon.

Anyways, I think the only unwritten prerequisite of being on here is to be somewhat knowledgeable of what you're talking about. Some would be better lurking for a while and joining discussion posts and not starting them, until you get the feel of the site. Beside that it's all fun here.
    chrisisall wrote:
    DCisared wrote:
    The annoying thing I find is the fanboys that each of the 6 bond actors have. There is a willingness to slaughter anyone who says anything positive about all but people's favourite actor. So for instance someone who loves dalton , can't love lazenby, or brozzers and so on.
    Precisely!! And I don't get that because I like ALL the actors, just some more than others.

Completely agree with both of you here.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You couldn't make this stuff up. :-w
    edited March 2013 Posts: 17,691

Care to elaborate, or is it just a toss off comment to the troll I see was cleaned up?

Has some one been masquerading as you on here mate.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    It's about the troll.
    It's about the troll.
    Silva stuff... okay. Thanks!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Yes, sorry for the comments; it was in regards to the Silva wannabe. Apologies, dear agents.
    No problemo.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2013 Posts: 4,399
    i personally love SF, it's up there with FRWL and CR as my favorites right now..... but i am also fully aware of it's plot holes, misnomers and what have you - but IMO, that doesn't stop it from being a beautifully orchestrated film.. the acting, direction, cinematography - all of it is top notch.... no film since the invention of film has gone without it's share of mistakes, continuity errors, plot holes, or ridiculousness that seems to defy logic.. its just part of movies in general.... that is why when one posted up that video "Everything Wrong with Skyfall in 4 minutes" video, i made the comment of -the only real joke is the people who take this seriously- ...the video is comedic fluff.. he does bring up points in regards to plot holes, but nothing that i, or anyone else probably didnt already ask themselves, or even wasn't fully aware of... but because those people who will point to SF as being a terrible film will point to everything said in that video and go "see see, told you it was bad." - nevermind the fact that one could do the same thing to every film ever made - so in doing so, that would then mean that every film is terrible, if it is not perfect?.... nevermind that probably their favorite Bond films have even worse gaping plot holes?... GE looks like swiss cheese shot with a buck shot it has so many - but does that stop myself or others from enjoying the hell out of it? No...

i am a fan of James Rolfe (the angry video game nerd) especially when he does movie reviews, and while reviewing a particular movie he made an interesting point about people (in general terms) on the internet and the way they criticize films nowadays... he mentions that today, a lot more people nitpick and judge films based solely around small individual moments or scenes, instead of looking at the full body of work - people are too quick to go "that scene doesn't make any sense, therefor this movie is terrible.".. and i completely agree... i see this all the time - not just on this site, but on countless others, and even in public.. it's how people have become today...

i've enjoyed all of Craig's Bond films thus far, even QOS... despite it's lousy shot action scenes there is still a lot of positive i can find it from the performances by the actors, some of the exquisitely shot scenes, there is enough there to keep me entertained on the whole...

the only film that i've seen get universally slammed on here other than QOS, is DAD - and rightly so IMO.. it's a steaming pile.... if someone likes it over FRWL, so be it, that is their opinion... i like QOS and LALD more than i do other Bond films, but that is just a personal preference, i am aware of their faults and why people wouldn't enjoy them as much as i do - but i try not to get into holy wars about it, because there is no point in doing so
    I thought DAD was OK
    til the CGI hit. How did they think it looked good?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2013 Posts: 4,399
    things were going decent up until Bond hit the gene therapy clinic in Cuba... from there, it was a fast descent into a hellish abyss. lol

Well said, haserot.

That's so true about many people apparently looking at movies not as whole but as bits and pieces. Some seem to enjoy stuff like "what's wrong with such and such a movie", listing things that they think is wrong, little details, errors and such, even competing about "did you notice all the errors I noticed" sort of stuff. If I like the movie I wouldn't bother (why concentrate on that if I enjoy the whole?), if I don't like the movie I also wouldn't bother (why waste time on something I don't care about anyway?)
    =bg= wrote:
    I thought DAD was OK
    til the CGI hit. How did they think it looked good?

I thought it was okay until Madonna started singing. But yeah, the CGI. The terrible, terrible CGI. Can you imagine what that's going to look like with a few more years of age. Maybe in the Bond 100 collection they'll have a feature where they say they were really trying Bond out in a cartoon setting. :-/

I also agree on your SF point. Some things (mainly SF and Daniel Craig right now) seem immune to criticism on this site because the majority love them and can't tolerate people criticising them, but it is possible to like something but also point out flaws in it (even LTK, my favourite Bond movie, I can find flaws in).

To be fair, some people go crazy when you criticise goldeneye so it cuts both ways.
    actonsteve wrote:

To be fair, some people go crazy when you criticise goldeneye so it cuts both ways.

Not me :-\" (personally I think SF is a little better anyway)
    OHMSS and/or Peter Hunt
    John Barry
    Daniel Craig
    Pierce Brosnan

i've found that criticizing any one of the above mentioned will stir a lot of hornet nests around here..