The 'How Do I Use This New Site' Thread

Comments

How do i :

a) Get emoticons

b) Be able to type things in Bold or Italics or a colour change ?
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    a) emoticons are visible by clicking the tiny smiley in the upper right corner of the box I'm currently typing in, i.e. the comment box.

b) < b >bold< / b> without the spaces = bold. < i >italic< / i > = italic. HTML.
    Hmm there is no tiny smiley in the box in typing in now.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Really? Should be about an inch upwards of the Post Comment button.

Standard ones will work (remove the space)...
    : ) = :)
    : ( = :(
    ; ) = ;)

Oh WOW! Metal! \ m / = \m/
    Ok thanks chaps - i think i'm in the same boat in that this PC doesnt like them so i cant see or access them.
    I'll live without them or type one in if absolutely neccessary.
    Yes, I never used the smiley "guide" before either, I always typed the common ones manually :)

I'm with you Luds \m/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If you want to jump-through pages... Look at the URL of the page you're at, ( for example, http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/13/new-members-introduce-yourself/p2), and type the number of the page you want to go to at the end of said URL... Atleast it's better than the old forums, where the page # wasn't featured in the URL, but instead it was the number of post (15 for page 2, 30 for page 3, 45 for page 4...
    @DaltonCraig007 yes that's a good tip for now, but I'm sure latest post and page number will be improved very soon :)
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    How do I change the time in my profile so that I the post times look like my local time?
    Quoting retrokitty:

How do I change the time in my profile so that I the post times look like my local time?
    Hm, mine was wrong from the start too, but was fixed by itself. Seems this new, wonderful software recognizes your timezone automatically ;)
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting retrokitty: How do I change the time in my profile so that I the post times look like my local time?
    I didn't know the answer to that kitty, but like Disco it looks like it syncs with your operating system's locale and gets the timezone info.
    edited March 2011 Posts: 380
    :O How do it know?! ! :-?

(It was wrong last night but has righted itself - but I didn't think it was so late in the day so thought it was still wrong. *runs for some coffee*)
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Well IE browsers are build in the Operating System's "core" if you will, that's why if an IE window crashes, it makes the entire Explorer crash.

Anyhow, I'm on chrome, and it does too, not sure how!
    Sorry if I missed this but will there be a last viewed button... and do we have an ETA... this scrolling through the page to get to the bottom to click to the last page of threads we've read a dozen times is growing old. Hard to keep up.
    Is there some way to see a particular member's posts like we used to be able to? There is no link to that on the profile page.

Also, what is the Activity button for? I click it and there are updates of sorts. Just wondering what we should be using it for or checking it for.
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    edited March 2011 Posts: 443
    @retrokitty When you go to someone's profile on the right hand side you should see three buttons: Activity, Discussion, Comments. Comments is the button to see people's posts and Discussion is the button to see people's Topics. Granted, it does not seem to appear for everyone and I made a note of this. The admins are looking into it. Not sure why it's happened but I'm hoping it gets fixed with the "jump to last post" button.

Not seeing it. Doesn't matter. I just thought that might be an easier way to navigate since I used to do that on the old forum... I'd pull up the posts of an interesting member and see what they had to say on certain things. Navigation here is still really difficult so I'm trying to figure out ways around it.
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    Quoting retrokitty: Navigation here is still really difficult so I'm trying to figure out ways around it.
    Yes. Finding older posts is actually quite easy when the system allows it. I'm not sure what's stopping it but I hope it's fixed.
    Where is the famous search button/window?
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Humm, this will take some getting used to.

But HTML seems to be fairly similar to the old code. It's mainly just replacing "[" with "<".

Would like a "new posts" "your posts" "todays posts" kind of navigation and a jump to the latest comment. I guess I just feel the last place was second nature and totally intuitive, but I know I'll get used to it.
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 110
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Quoting retrokitty:
    Where is the famous search button/window?

When viewing all of the discussions, it's at the top of the screen as a long search box.

EDIT: @Bartleby You've said all that needs to be said!
  • I've just bookmarked my fav threads so far and when a new post pops up, it appears in yellow in that list.
    That saves me a lot of time.

How do I choose a new avatar?
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    @Cdr_Bond, you can upload an image file from your computer via the profile.
    Thanks MI6, i take it we dont have access to the selection of avatars from the old forum?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting Cdr_Bond: How do I choose a new avatar?

Hi @Cdr_Bond You can't choose an avatar but are allowed any picture you like. On your profile you're able to add the picture of your choice and then resize it.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting Cdr_Bond: Thanks MI6, i take it we dont have access to the selection of avatars from the old forum?
    Correct. Same restrictions regarding copyright material as well so Bond screen caps and official publicity stuff is off, but you can find plenty you'll like anyways!