Is 007s time up?

edited February 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 338
Following the theme in Skyfall of Bond being left behind by technology, will drones replace the 00 section?

Who needs expensive, high maintenance agents with licenses to kill, when drones can do the job - especially following Obama's new policy of state assassination of whoever he likes, including American citizens. Presumably, the US is not the only Government doing this....

Comments

• I think that what Skyfall did was try to show why human intelligence is still needed and in the 21st century, and acted as a way to justify Bond's continued existence, which has been a battle that writers have been waging ever since the cold war ended. What M was getting after in her monologue at her hearing speaks directly to this, how we still need people to go and investigate what lurks in the shadows.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That was a powerful message, and for this movie to make a billion dollars I hope a great number of folks took it in.
  • I guess showing Q screw up by letting Silva hack in was to show that the new age kids don't know it all. But it was a bit too stupid of him. Likewise, Bond figuring out where Silva is heading by looking up and some swirly Pearl & Dean ad and picking out a random word of an old disused train station, is just too ludicrous for me, I found it depressing.

Generally where they have these brutal heroes entering a world of hi-tech computer boffins, it feels a bit incongruous, as with the last Die Hard.
    A drone cannot infiltrate a cell, and gather hard intel. So to me a man or woman will always have to take that risk and potentially make THE ultimate sacrifice?