Never Say Never Again..."Yes, But My Martini's Still Dry"

Comments

That movie got Blofeld right.

Kind of shame he wasn't given more scenes to be included in, because Sydow did a pretty decent job as Ernst. Sometimes I felt he was a little cheesy and difficult to take seriously, but then again, so was Charles Gray, hahaha.
  • To me, Telly Savalas was the only good Blofeld.
  • To me, Telly Savalas was the only good Blofeld.

He was probably the best one, but I also liked Pleasence and Von Sydow. Grey and the FYEO guy are the only Blofelds I don't like.
  • Von sydow reminded me of The unseen blofeld of the early movies..
    To me, Telly Savalas was the only good Blofeld.

He was probably the best one, but I also liked Pleasence and Von Sydow. Grey and the FYEO guy are the only Blofelds I don't like.

The problem with Pleasance is that we don't see him until the last twenty minutes or so, and he has little time to make an impact, and because of his corny delivery of lines such as "Goodbye, Meesta Bond!", we just don't have a lot to go on. As for Gray, I thought he did a remarkable job.....when he acted the part seriously. During those excessive campy moments, however, he ruins the character. The one from FYEO did a decent job with the lines he was given, and it's a just a shame we didn't get to see his face like we did with the prior three. He might have been memorable had he gotten a few more minutes with his face shown and if he had been given a less cheesy death, which for such a powerful character, really comes off as stupid. Savalas was a terrific Blofeld, and it's just a shame he had to be in such a crock of a Bond movie to deliver his great performance.
    I actually like the film, but watching it with the awful soundtrack drives home the point of how critical music is to these films. Has very much of a fluff 70s vibe. It'll never happen, but I'd like someone to re-release this film with an edgy soundtrack better suited for a Bond film. I know it can't be Barry, but it could be a whole lot better.
    CrabKey wrote:
    I actually like the film, but watching it with the awful soundtrack drives home the point of how critical music is to these films. Has very much of a fluff 70s vibe. It'll never happen, but I'd like someone to re-release this film with an edgy soundtrack better suited for a Bond film. I know it can't be Barry, but it could be a whole lot better.

I agree, the soundtrack really doesn't do the movie any justice. It really does sound like someone threw in a fake substitute for Bond music and hoped we wouldn't notice.
  • CrabKey wrote:

The NSNA soundtrack is even worse than GE. It sounds like a 70's American police show. Awful stuff. Legrand usually did a lot better than this.

CrabKey wrote:

The NSNA soundtrack is even worse than GE. It sounds like a 70's American police show. Awful stuff. Legrand usually did a lot better than this.

Upon watching NSNA for the first time last year I actually put on GE afterwards to cleanse myself.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Legrands score is sub-par, but I did enjoy "The Tango of Death" and "Largo's Waltz."
    ...And for the record, Serra's score is miles above Legrand's.
    @BAIN123 Any official Bond composer's score is miles above Legrand's. :D
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    NSNA has a quite awful score and the opening song is so bloody awful it was as if the producers didn't want people to like the film from the get go. A rousing instrumental would have been so much better. Mind GE has a pretty horrific end title song, I have to hit the STOP button as soon as possible!
    NSNA has a quite awful score and the opening song is so bloody awful it was as if the producers didn't want people to like the film from the get go. A rousing instrumental would have been so much better. Mind GE has a pretty horrific end title song, I have to hit the STOP button as soon as possible!

I actually quite enjoy the title song for NSNA, or at least somewhat. It's the best part of the soundtrack, for sure. Everything else just sounds overly dated and corny.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I like it. Probably a bit more than some of the "official" films.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 1,146
    I think Never Say Never Again is a classy return to what made Bond cool and it just embarrasses View to a Kill and Octopussy. Is it a perfect film? No. But it tries to return OO7 to more realistic, tough character.

I think the opening sequence is better than most of the so-called 'action' in any Bond film from the previous ten years, excluding Majesty's.

The score does let the film down, but I enjoy some of the Jazz cues.

I like it a lot and prefer it to any of Moore's films.

This might be the best Bond film of the 80's.
    I think Never Say Never Again is Embarrassing to the Name James Bond.
    As opposed to wearing a clown suit, yelling like Tarzan or firing a weapon with your eyes closed?
    As opposed to wearing a clown suit, yelling like Tarzan or firing a weapon with your eyes closed?

The Clown Suit was a disguise to stop a bomb. The Tarzan yell was stupid, but Never Say Never Again had it's share of dumb moments. Like Bond Playing video games or suddenly losing his clothes when jumping off a castle.
  • The clown suit gets a lot of flack that is not needed. the tarzan yell was stupid.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I dislike the opening sequence as it portrays it self as something it is not, i.e. James Bond doing his thing, then you find out it is only a training mission so nothing was 'real'. I hate that. About the only one that works for me is the one at the start of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
    And Rowan Atkinson is just so bloody awful!
    I like the movie as a standalone film and I find the atmosphere to be nice. What bugs me is that it looks so cheap and feels so unlike the Eon movies IMO. I included it in my first Bond marathon, but have excluded it since. The reason is that it feels like a movie with basically no budget after watching the likes of TSWLM, MR, FYEO and OP.
    I love Connery's performance though and the motorcycle chase, plus Rowan Atkinson among other things.
    I like the movie as a standalone film and I find the atmosphere to be nice. What bugs me is that it looks so cheap and feels so unlike the Eon movies IMO. I included it in my first Bond marathon, but have excluded it since. The reason is that it feels like a movie with basically no budget after watching the likes of TSWLM, MR, FYEO and OP.
    I love Connery's performance though and the motorcycle chase, plus Rowan Atkinson among other things.

I love the scene with Connery and Atkinson when Smallfaucet yells out for Bond in the large crowd, and Connery calls him out on "shouting his name across the harbor", to which Smallfaucet didn't even realize he did it. Incredibly hilarious, and certainly one of the better scenes in the movie in regards to humor.
    Yes, I agree that about that scene. Overall I like the humour in the movie. Too bad that it otherwise feels so cheap. It could have been a really good Bond film.
    Yes, I agree that about that scene. Overall I like the humour in the movie. Too bad that it otherwise feels so cheap. It could have been a really good Bond film.

Possibly, yes. The big thing that bugs me is not that it is "unofficial", but rather it is the same storyline from Thunderball, and thus ruins the continuity of the series, even if you do not treat it as an actual Bond movie. If they had stuck with an original idea with Connery's return, then I believe something much better could have been made.
  • Murdock wrote:
    I think Never Say Never Again is Embarrassing to the Name James Bond.

=D>
    I do give McClory credit. He showed us how "Not" to make a James Bond movie.
  • it's better than DAF
    it's better than DAF

I don't think so, not at all. If we are talking about the villains and the soundtrack, DAF blows NSNA out of the water! As far as locations and Bond are concerned, they're both somewhat equal, but at least on the locations, DAF wins for the awesome Vegas shots and the sets of Whyte's penthouse, the oil rig, and the actual house used for Willard Whyte's summer house. As for Bond, Connery did a good job with both in terms of acting, but because he was more physically fit in NSNA, I'll give this point in favor of NSNA. As for plot, pacing, and action, those goes to DAF also. All in all, DAF whoops NSNA.

Diamonds are Forever is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than Never Say Never Again.

Bond driving a Moon Buggy is much more appealing than Bond Playing Cylon warrior laser tag.