Has this forum helped change your opinion on a Bond film?

Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
edited January 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 2,721
I think the discussions on Brosnan-era on here have made me look back at his films - particularly TWINE. I don't think it has changed my opinion that it is a wildly inconsistent movie but the discussions on this forum did make me go back and watch it with a more critical eye. Also, my defence of MR has strengthened through discussion here. The big one is rewatching OP - there is a remarkable amount of love on here for what I consider a fairly ordinary 007 outing - but that is the next one to be reconsidered.

Comments

• JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    This forum and Charles Helfensteins book changed my opinion on OHMSS. First i found it a bit dull, but now i appreciate it much more. I even think its the best one.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    This forum (& AJB) got me to totally reconsider Timothy Dalton as the supreme Bond of all. Also, peeps here got me to watch OP again, and I really had fun after not seeing it in almost 30 years due to a poor memory of if it being 'bad'. Also, this forum has made me feel better about not considering GF to be a whole lot better than YOLT. :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Surprisingly, yes. I went from someone who wanted DAD erased from Bond history to being glad it was there to serve as a lesson of what not to do. We also got Dan's era/the reboot out of it, so it's a winning gambit for me.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    JWPepper wrote:
    This forum and Charles Helfensteins book changed my opinion on OHMSS. First i found it a bit dull, but now i appreciate it much more. I even think its the best one.

I agree with this I used to hate it , although i don't consider it the best it's in my top 5 easily .
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,492
    Being an old lag who saw most of Moores on original release I like to think i know my Bond stuff ie can tell a pigs ear from a silk purse.

So, no - I tend to get it right first time. Way ahead of the curve on QoS, the casting of Daniel Craig and even Timothy Dalton back in 87.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Yeah - I'm not sure that I could be convinced of too much different. Ive always loved OHMSS and Dalton, disliked DAF. Maybe I'd cut QOS a bit more slack now but the Brosnan era is still a bit of a wasteland for me and I'll never get used to the concept of MWTGG being anything other than boring. OP is the one I want to revisit. Some posters on here love that film - I gotta see what the fuss is about.
    Some posters on here love that film - I gotta see what the fuss is about.
    It's just a good fun time.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 20
    I think the best thing I get out the forum is that encourages me to go back and watch certain films that I have never been a great fan of and try again. Like a few previous comments, Octopussy and the Dalton era especially. I just didn't like Dalton at all in my youth but now I really can appreciate what he was doing.
  • This forum actually has changed my opinion (for the better) for a number of movies-- most of all Tomorrow Never Dies
    TND was actually the first Bond movie I saw in the theatre- after getting introduced to the series as a whole with GoldenEye on VHS. I was 14 and usually even when I see a BAD movie I'll at least *think* it was good until the excitement goes away and I realize it was indeed a horrible movie- Star Wars Ep I was a great example of that ;) !
    But with TND, as I left the theatre with my friend I looked at him and was like 'that movie kind of sucked didn't it?' and he agreed.
    However years later on this forum as TND rested near the bottom of my ranking, I saw more and more praise from a bunch of good guys whose opinions I've come to trust- and upon a recent viewing I found it quite enjoyable! Currently no. 11

Now TWINE on the other hand.....
  • OP I always thought was a bit "meh", good not great, but after reading tons of praise for it on here I went back and rewatched it, and I ended up really enjoying it. It's in my top 10 now.

Other than that, no. Some of my opinions have changed since I joined but not really thanks to this forum.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Despite the praise LTK gets on this forum ( it was ahead of its time bla bla) and despite me initially loving it it has actually FALLEN a bit in my rankings in the last few years. I would seriously put the likes of FYEO, TSWLM, YOLT and OP (especially since I saw the last two in the last few days) ahead of it. They have more class and more of a "Bond touch".

Its not just a thing against LTK. Even my beloved GE has admittingly fallen a few spots (though its still easily in the top 10).
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    OP and TSWLM fair enough but I think FYEO is a bit overrated on here.

I think lots of people just think it's automatically Moore's best just because it's a fairly serious film. I always thought it was pretty average and nowhere near as good as TSWLM, OP or even LALD. In terms of entertainment value I'd say even MR beats it.

I don't see what so many see in FYEO. It has it's moments (ski chase, car chase, car kick, finale) and Moore is great as always but I think there's enough bad stuff in it (forgettable villian, Blofeld gets dropped down a chinmey, Bibi, ice rink fight) to balance it out and make it a middle ranker.

Don't get me wrong it's not terrible and it's not Moore's worst (I'd put AVTAK, TMWTGG and MR below it), I just don't think it's as great as some people say.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I really enjoyed FYEO last time I saw it. I can't put my finger on it but it just feels quite classy. The greek angle, the revenge plot, Roger Moore, Bond talking with Tapol on the boat and the showdown in the monestry.Its got its weaknesses as you say but there's a charm to it I find. And I REALLY like this track too: agree that OP and TSWLM are slightly higher though.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Yes, my opinion over DAD has changed, even though some parts are good, the overall film is the worst ever, unfortunately.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 17,691
    And my opinion of DAF has changed considerably- before joining this forum it tied with TND as my favourite all time Bond movies, since then DAF has slid considerably far down my list, and TND has fallen under TND & LTK. Reading the novels also had a great impact.
    One should always aim at learning new stuff, which consequently does change your perspective. Which can be applied towards the various movies, art and music. However age does come into it as well, sometimes you find yourself disliking stuff simply because you lose interest in something.
    SaintMark wrote:
    However age does come into it as well, sometimes you find yourself disliking stuff simply because you lose interest in something.
    Yeah, I used to love Mr. Rogers... but then I discovered Mr. Bond.
    chrisisall wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    However age does come into it as well, sometimes you find yourself disliking stuff simply because you lose interest in something.
    Yeah, I used to love Mr. Rogers... but then I discovered Mr. Bond.

WHo is mr Rogers? Are you reffering to the talking Mule?

And who is mr. Bond? You are reffering to the writer of the Bird book that served as a source for the name?

Mister-Rogers--5946.jpg
    The name's Rogers. Fred Rogers.
  • lol That image totally messes with my inner child! :D
    I know, it's just so wrong. :O
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    YES !

On Moonraker (which wasn't bad in average), AVTAK's casting and average film, LTK (I found it too "US action" but the detailed plot changed my mind), CR timeline (earlier with Dalton or Brosnan) and Daniel Craig (a better 007 since Skyfall). Mostly.
    Not sure about opinion change? Certainly seen new aspects on some of the films though.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    This forum (& AJB) got me to totally reconsider Timothy Dalton as the supreme Bond of all. Also, peeps here got me to watch OP again, and I really had fun after not seeing it in almost 30 years due to a poor memory of if it being 'bad'. Also, this forum has made me feel better about not considering GF to be a whole lot better than YOLT. :))

Welcome to the club of Daltonites. ;-)

• edited January 2013 Posts: 40
    I only saw a few Bond films when I came to this forum and I didn't know Brosnan's films were so poorly received by the 007 fan base. I had already seen Die Another Day and loved it, still do, despite its ridiculous elements. I watched GE, TND, and TWINE and viewed them much more critically after hearing so many opinions on them. I still loved GE but TND and TWINE fell flat for me.

I also had no idea OHMSS was such a cult classic and that many treasure Lazenby's portrayal and wish he did more. I always assumed that film was a dud because of him. I was wrong!
  • I don't think it's made much difference to be truthful. Opinions are much the same as before, although I do think for example, I have enjoyed titles like Moonraker, Octopussy and You Only Live Twice more in recent years, but that's simply do to with my own viewings, not (necessarily) persuaded, or influenced by any participants on these pages

I had Timothy Dalton as best Bond before I arrived, and it will be so, long after. Nothing can change that
    After joining this forum my opinion of Brosnan's films has deteriorated a little... It's the only thing I think has changed.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited January 2013 Posts: 16,330
    Yes, I used to heavily dislike Licence to Kill. After being convinced to rewatch it again after all these years, It jumped from my bottom 3 to my top 5. :)
    0013 wrote:
    After joining this forum my opinion of Brosnan's films has deteriorated a little... It's the only thing I think has changed.

Me too. I've seen how cheesey they often can be.
  • Actually there is one more thing, GF has fallen in my rankings alot since I joined this forum.