Bond unshaven

Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
edited January 2013 in Bond Movies Posts: 2,721
Is Skyfall the longest bond is unshaven in a single film? I think so - he is onscreen for most of the time from 22 minutes til nearly half an hour later before Eve helps him with the cutthroat razor. Maybe in QOS he is unshaven for a while? Of course there is the DAD Brozza beard and Connery with a five clock shadow after being captured in Goldfinger but Moore would have never appeared that rough and even Dalton seemed pretty well kept.

Comments

• I believe it is. It seems like such a small thing, but I actually like it when a male character in a film is shown to have five o'clock shadow if he hasn't been able to shave for a couple of days. Not because of the way that it looks, but because it makes it more believable that real time is elapsing.

Also, Bond having the stubble and when he chose to shave it off was used to great effect in SF to show when he was "back" as the Bond that we know and love.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I had this this nagging thought during the scene in M's house. I couldn't help but feel that the Bond of the novels would never even dare appear looking so unkept in front of M.

But I digress, I agree that it was the longest time Bond has been unshaven onscreen, and it worked in the context of the story.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited January 2013 Posts: 11,139
    I think Dalton had a bit of stubble in LTK, when he thinks Pam is working with Sanchez.
    I would say most likely yes? But i have to say it did not bother me too much.
  • I'd agree but I'm not a fan of Bond with a beard. Don't mind the unshaven look to show him looking rough when under pressure but this should be for as shortest time as possible on screen.
  • Wasn't there a great beard thread somewhere. If I remember correctly some awesome beard puns. Hunt it down.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
  • Live and Gillette Die was my fav.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I am surprised that thread was allowed to go so far off the rails.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,935
    I must say I had no problem whatsoever with the abundance of facial follicles. As others have said, it works for the story, plus we've seen Bond much shaggier in the past. Hairstyle-wise, upon seeing pictures of his short cut for SF, my first reaction was that it's okay, but on a personal level I'd rather it something like CR or QoS- or a length in between. Mind you, I didn't worry about it enough to lose any of my own hair, or even to kick up a stink like some members did in the highly controversial beard thread. As long as Bond's hair is of adequate length to stick across the wardrobe doors hiding his belongings. ;)

Favourite pun: "Shaven, not furred."
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    General discussions are for non-Bond related discussions.
  • I didn't mind the Craig facial growth for this years release, as in fact I thought it rather suited him. Works for some Bond actors, not so for some others. I too thought of Dalton in License to Kill when he goes after Bouvier and questions her about working with Sanchez. But was it the longest time Bond has gone unshaven ?

Wait a minute, it could well be Brosnan in Die Another Day above all else. I'll have a watch next time and make some judgments
  • I had this this nagging thought during the scene in M's house. I couldn't help but feel that the Bond of the novels would never even dare appear looking so unkept in front of M.

But I digress, I agree that it was the longest time Bond has been unshaven onscreen, and it worked in the context of the story.

Well, Bond was still angry at her for what happened so he didn't care how he looked - and he was a little drunk too. But he was also wearing the same clothes as when he first saw the news report on the MI6 bombing so he obviously went straight from the bar to an airport. No stopping to change or get his shaving kit...

I'm glad Bond didn't shave, otherwise we wouldn't have had that scene with Eve and the razor. There's some nice little banter there.
  • Data_ThiefData_Thief Banned
    Both. but mostly shaven .
  • QBranch wrote:
    I'm glad Bond didn't shave, otherwise we wouldn't have had that scene with Eve and the razor. There's some nice little banter there.

I wouldn't have let Eve get that close to me with a cut throat razor if I had been Bond. They hardly knew each other that well, and didn't Bond learn a lesson from Miranda Frost in Die Another Day about who to trust with women ? Just seemed a little careless from my perspective, that's all

Ah, reboot, reboot... :-<
    I think when Bond decided to give the razor to Eve, it was a symbol that he wanted her to know he did trust her. Also, if Bond didn't have any amount of trust in women, he wouldn't bed them in the first place.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I had this this nagging thought during the scene in M's house. I couldn't help but feel that the Bond of the novels would never even dare appear looking so unkept in front of M.

Well, Bond was still angry at her for what happened so he didn't care how he looked - and he was a little drunk too. But he was also wearing the same clothes as when he first saw the news report on the MI6 bombing so he obviously went straight from the bar to an airport. No stopping to change or get his shaving kit...

Oh no believe me I understand all that, and like I said, it worked in context. But it was sort of un-Fleminglike.