Sanchez v Silva

edited January 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 2,782
Latest is the greatest...and Silva is certainly flavour of the month here. No doubt he was an outstanding Bond baddie...some have called him the best...but I think there are two above him.

Grant. Played so well by Robert and the best Villian imo, Sanchez.

Sanchez played by a modern day Bogart, Ravi, is sensational. Charm, wit, charisma and real menace he almost stole the film from TD.

Silva is certainly menacing but he lacks charm, wit and was laden with a death wish because M let him down...a bit wishy washy.

Sanchez wit is brilliant when tells the hench men to launder the money...serious but very much tongue in cheek.

Silva at the lake came up with 'Do you see what comes of all this running around, Mr. Bond? All this jumping and fighting, it's exhausting! Relax. You need to relax... Ah well, mother's calling. I will give her a good-bye kiss for you'. Dull.

Sanchez for me.

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Sanchez is great but Silva all the way for me.

As for Grant he still remains the bench mark but he seems more of a henchman unlike the boss that Sanchez and Silva are.
  • Damn that is a very tough choice for me, they are both awesome in their roles.
    silva was a very good villian(top 7 for sure Richard kiel thinks he is the best all time) but sanchez was better the guy was a total gangster he was loyal to his workers,he did not want to rule the world or did not have a insane plan he just did his thing and ran his business plus i actually met Robert Davi and the guy is a great man,respectful,classy,humble,friendly and overall great guy. He even signed a great photo for me

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww171/jdjabou/Celebs Ive Met/DSC00102.jpg

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww171/jdjabou/Celebs Ive Met/Scan0001.jpg

oh ya btw i told him you come third in my list of greatest villians after Goldfinger and Scaramanga and he laughed his like i agree those two were great
  • Data_ThiefData_Thief Banned
    What was so great about Silva? He hardly even had any dialogue. He mostly just ran around shooting things or was standing around gazing at Bond with a cliched stare.

Why couldn't Javier Bardem play Silva without a stupid retro costume, and just look like Javier Bardem. The blond wig looked ridiculous , like a cheap gimmick. Javier Bardem is a handsome gritty looking guy, there was no need to alter his appearance to the look of a 70's pedophile.

To answer you're question Sanchez would kick Silva's a$$ , it wouldn't even be a fight. Silva would run away crying just at the sight of Sanchez.

Not to mention Sanchez was one of the best realistic villains of the franchise, much appreciation for Robert Davi.
    I'd probably say Franz Sanchez, simply because he seemed a bit more menacing and a slight bit less campy than Silva. Now, Silva was not the king of camp or anything like that; I am certainly not saying he was cheesy or anything. I'm just saying that Sanchez was played a little bit more straightforward, which I enjoyed. However, this is an excellent match-up, since both are magnificently cast and played!
    Two great Bond villains, but as Silva is my favorite Bond baddie of all, I gotta go with Silva.
  • I'm glad to see LTK getting the love here, as I feel it's a real under-rated gem in the series. I think Sanchez may indeed be one of the best villians of them all, second possibly only to Goldfinger. As much as Blofeld was Bond's arch foe, I never felt there was ever a definitive Blofeld performance. Although I like them all, they never lived up to the promise of Dawson's mysterious performance in FRWL and Thunderball. And as much as I love Chris Lee, I honestly don't feel he was given nearly enough to work with. Same goes for Chris Walken. And actually Bardem as well, although he may win the best villain introduction award with that rat speech.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Silva is all fine and dandy but my favorites will always be men like Dr No., Grant, Goldfinger, Largo and the like. Gentlemen villains who didn't spend the film trying to kill Bond in insane ways, but instead invited him to a 5 star dinner, made small talk over a train meal, played 18 holes, or engaged with him in some cards. I will always like that Bond/villain relationship, and that is one thing Bond does that nobody else does. I have never seen any other film hero treated so well by the men he is facing off against, and who he must eventually fight to the death with. Another reason why the 60s are the Alpha and Omega of Bond.
  • Franz Sanchez is a great Bond villian, but I like Silva. Javier Bardem was a cool Bond villian, but also scary at times. Silva really did enjoy wrecking havoc in Skyfall.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Silva was the best part of his film, he managed to be both creppy & camp . But Sanchez was on a whole other plateau, if you crossed him, he'd really make you pay.
  • AliAli
    Pffft. Both are rank amateurs next to the great Gustav Graves. For a start, neither dressed up as Robocop, owned a death ray or had a cheesy English accent. Must try harder.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    LOL. I detect sarcasm...
  • Sanchez. Silva was great but you can't beat Sanchez. His insanity, his dedication to loyalty, etc, all make him the best Bond villian.
    Gentlemen villains who didn't spend the film trying to kill Bond in insane ways

Strapping him to a table and slowly moving a laser towards him, feeding him to sharks, these weren't trying to kill him in insane ways?
    Samuel001 wrote:

But that hasn't been active for a long time and there's a Silva vs Trevelayn thread that lasted ages so why not this one?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That thread was opened before the idea of merging all 'villain vs villain' threads into one place I believe.
    A real toughie this one as i love both! But i will JUST opt for Silva just because of his cunning and forward planning.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Strapping him to a table and slowly moving a laser towards him, feeding him to sharks, these weren't trying to kill him in insane ways?

Hell no, that's tame!

• Love it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sanchez easily. What I love about Sanchez is, he kept it real without being boring and that's saying something compared to the great megalomaniacs in the series. Sanchez wasn't about world domination or gargantuan genocides, he was just a dedicated criminal with a charming personality (Dominic Greene, take bloody note on how it's done) who was engaging to watch without the aid of theatrical gimmicks. He was a villain that new how to play the game, almost like a latter day Micky Cohen.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 23,536
    Samuel001 wrote:
    That thread was opened before the idea of merging all 'villain vs villain' threads into one place I believe.

Indeed it was. We are not going to tie over a 1000 different threads to all possible X versus Y permutations in the Bond villain pantheon. I'm sorry, people, but as much fun as this is, dangerous precedents can easily be created this way. Please follow Sam's link as posted above.

Also, this isn't a General Discussion. General Discussions are about non-Bond topics only.

This discussion has been closed.