Danger Man's (aka Secret Agent's) final two episodes...

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited January 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 17,694
Were KOROSHI and SHINDA SHIMA an attempt to mould John Drake into a more James Bond-like character by Sir Lew Grade because of the success of YOLT?
This certainly seemed like the straw that caused Patrick McGoohan to retreat from the series to create The Prisoner IMO.

Thoughts?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I just actually watched these episodes (I got the DVD since I posted this last year) and I have to say it was painfully evident that they were cashing in BIG TIME on YOLT. Especially the second one, Shinda Shima. Peter Yates directed it, who would go on to big feature films like Bullitt. Lots of nice location stuff and nice to see Danger Man in living colour, but it just didn't all feel right. An interesting curiosity, but give me the proper Danger Man episodes.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,850
    Interesting. Can all of Danger Man be bought on DVD now? Perhaps The Prisoner was McGooghan's reaction against the encroachment of such blatant Bondism onto what he saw as his pigeon?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Interesting. Can all of Danger Man be bought on DVD now?
    Yes. And it's not that expensive any more. http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Agent-aka-Danger-Man/dp/B000KLQUT4/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1396129913&sr=1-2&keywords=danger+man+complete+series
    US $40
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Perhaps The Prisoner was McGooghan's reaction against the encroachment of such blatant Bondism onto what he saw as his pigeon?
    After seeing the two final colour episodes I have no doubt such was the case. They were turning his adult sophisticated show into another OO7 cash-in, and he must have been pretty unhappy.