Brosnan in 87 or Brosnan in 95

124»

Comments

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,243
    BAIN123 wrote:
    @acoppola. You make good points about Bond setting Sachez on fire. However Bond HAD strangled someone on film before - in FRWL in 62 and again in TB in 65. I think the difference between Craig and Dalton can be summed up in two word: raw brutality. Craig was "raw" Dalton had his tougher moments but I wouldn't say he was raw.

Brosnan was "slick".

I think it's interesting to note that Bond was never a particularly "cultured" man. However he has a rather prestigious upbringing. I'd say he's middle to upper class.

Yes @Bain123 Bond now I remember did strangle Jack Bouvier in TB. FRWL has been some time now for me.

But the strangling in CR is more nastier. But the choreography of the stunt men played a part in that. New Bond has different choreography so it is unfair to compare. Bond was catching up with modern cinema. I remember the first Bourne film and Jason was very brutal. The fights in that upped the Bond series action elements.

Look at Bond before Bourne and then Bond post Bourne with Craig. Bourne was the pioneer of that realism. Sony knew that was the competition and that is who they went up against.

Craig is very much a special forces type Bond. More SAS than Royal Navy. Vepser even calls him an SAS type. No accident from the script writers. Dalton played him as Commander James Bond. Dalton studied Fleming forensically. He even went into the man's private life to gain as much knowledge on who Bond is.

Craig was shown as a rookie Bond who makes big mistakes and is not in control of himself or seasoned. Rookies are rawer by nature.

Had Leiter not stopped him in CR, he would have killed Le Chiffre with a table knife. An example where his emotion clouded his judgement. Hot headedness gets you killed.

Dalton's Bond had a sinister overtone. Behind the charm and image was a man who calculated everything and how it would benefit him. He had that cold bloodedness and in the Pushkin scene it is implied he has done this type of execution many times.

Bond was a snob in the books and has a rough edge to him. Dalton pulled that off. He had manners but they were a cover. Bond did not like who he was or was doing.

The blunt instrument is one description by Fleming but not to be taken so literally. GQ Magazine even picked up on that description of Craig and said Bond is way more complex than that. Bond is not a thug either. He can be incredibly romantic as demonstrated in the amusement park in TLD. That was well shown that he was not all work and no play. He loved the company of a woman but something would always put a spanner in the works.

As for raw. Statham could cover those qualities too as he is a pioneer of that style. See you say raw. Well, Statham personifies that rawness. He is way f'ing raw and no question does he fit the new Bond template. But who was there first? DAD was an example of why Bond was way behind. The manners are just a question of direction if Statham had been cast, but those ingredients of the hard geezer are there. And new Bond is amplified as the hard geezer. I doubt Craig was cast for his humour or natural wit.

And Bond is not like that in Fleming. Yes he is tough, but he does not walk about in a way that is going to attract an enemy taking extra pleasure in kicking the sh*t out of him. If you give off a "Come on then vibe", then some men are going to challenge you.

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,243
    chrisisall wrote:
    Regan wrote:
    Actually, no. Daniel Craig is 5'10''
    Really? He looks more like 5' 9" to me.

Regan wrote:
    Hmmm... wonder what single word would describe Dalton. I think he was raw in that I sensed so much raw emotion from him at different times (Saunder's death, the pursuit of Sanchez, the death of Kilifer, the ragged, relieved breathing after Sanchez dies, "watch the birdie, you bastard", etc.). If that's not raw emotion, I'm not sure what is. However, it all depends on what you mean by raw. If you mean "rough and tough" then yeah, Craig does come off more thuggish. (By the way, I don't mean this in a bad way, I think every Bond has qualities that make them stand out, and Craig being more thuggish isn't necessarily a bad thing to me). In fact, I think that's exactly what they're going for with the whole "blunt instrument, half monk, half hitman" angle.

To circle back to Dalton, I suppose "dangerous" is a good summation, either that or "intense". In any case, he's a great balance between the gentleman and the killer.

And not to deviate too much from Brosnan... I do believe he was insanely beautiful when he was younger. I've said this before, but most teen girls in my high school circa '95 had a major crush on the new James Bond.

Like it @Regan I wouldn't change anything what you wrote. And I have strong opinions as you may have noticed :) Nice perspective. Brosnan and Dalton to me were the best looking British actors of the 80's scene which is when they were getting really noticed. They must have had no difficulty in getting dates.

To put down the looks of those two is nothing other than jealousy. :) I laugh when I see a dweeb judge them. And I met many dweebs who would struggle paying for it. Good luck is all I can say!

And Dalton pushed the boat out for the franchise. There was nothing like his take going on at the time. Was he like Stallone or Arnie who were the biggest action stars? Dalton copied no one. He got a way tougher media kicking than Craig. Once Craig did his first, the media credited and liked him for the very things they criticised Dalton. Talk about stupid and hypocritical.

Though some in the media are smart enough to know what went down like the highly informed GQ Magazine who are not afraid to say it how it is. A tabloid will kiss ass and be economical with the truth.

Funny enough, some in the media said Owen would be another Dalton and too humourless when he was seen as a strong contender. I think it was Roger Moore's son who said that though not him alone. Well watching Shoot 'Em Up, I cannot agree. Owen is Dalton's younger brother almost! Feature wise they are more similar than dissimilar. They are almost the same height and body type.

How many have asked why Owen did not become Bond? Because I am sure I am not the only one out there who thought he was the total package! I am sure Madonna would have agreed too!

I don't think Monica Bellucci would have complained either! :)

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Clive would have been MY choice!
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,661
    " I see Craig as the Jason Stratham of Bonds."

:))

Is that a compliment or an insult? :P

Daniel Craig does have one advantage over Jason Statham - his voice. I can't imagine Bond talking like Statham but I can imagine him talking (sort of) like Craig.

I reckon Brosnan would have made a credible James Bond in 1987.

"You make good points about Bond setting Sachez on fire. However Bond HAD strangled someone on film before - in FRWL in 62 and again in TB in 65."

Connery's Bond strangled that woman in DAF's pre-credit scene. He didn't kill her but he sure made her choke! That seemed rather extreme for 1971! There's no doubting James Bond can be a nasty chap but he does it for good old England so we can forgive him.