Purvis and Wade's Next Project Revealed

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    bondbat007 wrote:

Oh god I hate it already... 8-|
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited December 2012 Posts: 9,117
    Sounds like they've reached their natural level.

So much for the lie that they decided it was 'time to move on' rather than sacked. Generally if you have a billion dollar smash hit you can probably cherry pick your next project. To wind up scribing dross (like this is certainly going to be) suggests people in the industry know your true worth guys.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    edited December 2012 Posts: 1,380
    @TheWizardOfIce please can you cease your unfounded (and libelous) accusations otherwise you will be banned in quick order. We are not going to protect you from legal problems.

P&W were not sacked. Writers are contracted for a certain number of films. After completing a two film conrtract for CR & QOS they had another contract for what became SKYFALL. Whatever projects they are working on now would have probably been inked before SKYFALL even hit theaters. Consider this a final warning. And consider your usual knee jerk reaction carefully.
  • RC7RC7
    Weren't they supposed to be producing a film set in Sardinia? Can't remember the details but they wrote a script and said they were producing?
    This isn't the first reboot of Kojak, the last one was with Ving Rhames in 2005 which only ran for 1 season on TV. I can see they're sticking with the bald actor prototype set by Telly Savalas once again. Should be interesting, so long as they can give Kojak a murder case worth bothering about.
    I will check out this Kojak if the trailer looks good.

(everyone in Mi6 stares blankly at me)

What i said IF the trailer looks good
    Good for them. They are still getting the work. I wish them success.

Reflecting on their tenure with Bond: I don't think their writing abilities alone were able to carry a Bond script. I think it's been tossed around before: Purvis and Wade are good 'ideas' guys, but the execution wasn't there. So I think writers like Paul Haggis and John Logan were essential for bringing the scripts up to quality feature film standards. To their credit, I think they had talent in developing original story lines, they just needed a writer with more professional writers experience to provide the polish. It will be interesting to see what they do with Kojak. Who knows it could be decent.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Someone loves them, baby! Here's hoping this is good and I'm certain they could well return to Bond at some stage should they want to.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    G Purvis and Wade are good 'ideas' guys, but the execution wasn't there. So I think writers like Paul Haggis and John Logan were essential for bringing the scripts up to quality feature film standards.

Or adversely Lee Tamahori or Michael Apteds wife to send the film in the other direction.

Good luck to them. If it doesn't work out there is always cbeebies.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I love Ving Rhames. I never saw that show, though.
    I always loved the original Kojak. Vin Diesal? God no. Can't act his way out of a paper bag, so to speak.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    JamesPage wrote:
    @TheWizardOfIce please can you cease your unfounded (and libelous) accusations otherwise you will be banned in quick order. We are not going to protect you from legal problems.

P&W were not sacked. Writers are contracted for a certain number of films. After completing a two film conrtract for CR & QOS they had another contract for what became SKYFALL. Whatever projects they are working on now would have probably been inked before SKYFALL even hit theaters. Consider this a final warning. And consider your usual knee jerk reaction carefully.

You are quite correct JamesPage - my comments were indeed libelous as there is indeed no evidence to suggest Neal Purvis and Robert Wade were sacked by EON so I therefore retract my earlier statement fully and extend my heartfelt apology to Neal and Robert for any distress caused by my comment.

I am sure (in order to reassure casual readers that you are totally impartial and not singling me out for some reason) you will also be similarly publicly castigating Agent007391, Getafix and Shardlake for the following comments along similar lines which have been allowed to stand for nearly two months without similar impassioned admonishment:

Nemesis had a good script, and good execution, its problem was that we were tired of Star Trek movies at the time. The film's gotten better with age, I think.

On the news of Purvis and Wade getting tossed

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MOTHER [BLEEP]ERS! OH [BLEEP] YES!
    Shardlake wrote:
    I think the writing was on the wall for these 2 when their last 3 scripts were either polished or re-written by more talented and capable writers.

It was inevitable that they would get the push at some point, I can't imagine it's particularly encouraging to have your work changed or re-written regularly. I wouldn't mind betting they went at their own volition as they wanted to do something new, I can imagine they are deemed some what of a joke in their profession despite been made quite rich in the process.
    Getafix wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Great news. The story is shaping up it seems, the key players know what it is and the plan is for an October/November 2013 filming start, fantastic!

The article states "they felt it was time to move on" referring to Purvis and Wade, maybe they weren't pushed?

Yeah right! If they felt it was time to move on it was because they'd effectively been made redundant already.

I'm no lawyer but these comments seem to also suggest they were sacked so to avoid the risk of the site being sued you will probably want to remind the above people the same as you told me.

No need to thank me - I see it as the duty of us all to point such things out as conscientious members of the community as we dont want to risk lawsuits being brought against the site.
    Thanks again for pointing out my factual error and I certainly will be careful in the future about posting without gathering evidence to support my conclusions.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    My comment was made with no real information of their being fired, it was pure assumption, based on the title of the thread it was posted in (which, if I remember correctly, was "Purvis & Wade out, Logan in for Bond 24"). But, if my comment ruffles any feathers, I'll take whatever is dished out on me.

And did I actually use the [bleep] censors? Wow... that surprises me.
  • i can safely say i will never watch this movie.
  • I look forward to seeing their future projects. With CR and Skyfall they wrote two of the very best entries in the series
  • I never actually understood the hate Purvis and Wade has recieved. I mean, they wrote some of the best movies in the series. Some of the worst as well, but they can still deliver.
    I would LOVE to get my hands on some of their original TWINE and QOS screenplays before Apted and Haggis got a hold of them. From what I've heard they're quite different (and maybe better?)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bondbat007 wrote:
    I would LOVE to get my hands on some of their original TWINE and QOS screenplays before Apted and Haggis got a hold of them. From what I've heard they're quite different (and maybe better?)

I agree. That's why I have never outrightly finalized my opinion of P&W. I simply don't know the look of their scripts before they were looked at by other hands, and therefore edited. It is fishy, going from DAD to CR? The biggest jump in quality between films since the 80s, it must be known. It makes one suspicious, that's all. /:)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Perhaps Brosnan will one day return and do a really good version (somehow) of DAD, in a backwards-Connery type of way with TB and NSNA.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    If Brosnan returned in 2014, the same time will have passed since Connery left in Diamonds Are Forever, somehow I don't think it would work though.
    I want Diesels Riddick, this Kojak project does nothing for me like the last remake tv series of Kojak.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SaintMark wrote:
    I want Diesels Riddick, this Kojak project does nothing for me like the last remake tv series of Kojak.

Diesel has a new 'Riddick' film coming out in 2013.