Why is Your Favorite Bond Film Your Favorite?

2»

Comments

Couldn't agree more, except for the part where you say FRWL and TB are better executed.
    OHMSS is no. 1 for me. Classic Bond movie making!
  • I watch OHMSS pretty regularly. It's a great spy film with an epic romance with a woman that matches up to Bond, and somer pretty amazing fight sequences. This was, for me, the pinnacle of classic Bond, and George was a worthy successor to Connery.
  • GBFGBF
    That
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Well the ski sequence is very impressive... when Ol Rogs stunt double is doing it. But when we have close ups of Ol Rog, particularly on the snowbike, he definitely aint in Iceland!
    That is true but the advantage is that Roger is not skiing in that moment so this is not a moving picture. That is why I don't find these greene screen moments not very annoying.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, except for the part where you say FRWL and TB are better executed.
    OHMSS is no. 1 for me. Classic Bond movie making!

I say that because of the oddities of OHMSS that I mention above. FRWL and TB to me have less of these 'eccentricities' and feel maybe a bit more fluid and polished overall. Perhaps execution isn't the right word because the finished product of OHMSS ultimately delivers. OHMSS is more like an unpolished diamond; a little rough and blemished in a few spots but gorgeous and one of a kind on the inside.

AVTAK has really grown on me recently. Rog is too old, sure, but I wouldn't have it any other way. He's totally into what's happening, it's a fun action movie, has a great villain in the menacing Walken, and that finale atop the Golden Gate Bridge is fantastic. I used to think Moore should have stepped away before this film but damn it, I don't care. I'm stoked that he did 7 films that no one will ever beat his record. He's the king as far as I'm concerned. My favorite Bond, hands down.
  • I have Three Favouraites that I cant split. FRWL, TB and OHMSS. I probably like them more than others because of the world that is created in these films and i like how Bond is portrayed within said world.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    AVTAK has really grown on me recently. Rog is too old, sure, but I wouldn't have it any other way. He's totally into what's happening, it's a fun action movie, has a great villain in the menacing Walken, and that finale atop the Golden Gate Bridge is fantastic. I used to think Moore should have stepped away before this film but damn it, I don't care. I'm stoked that he did 7 films that no one will ever beat his record. He's the king as far as I'm concerned. My favorite Bond, hands down.

Yep, this reflects my view to a tee.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Currently, my favourite Bond is The Spy Who Loved Me but, over time, this can always change wherever I go through a Bondathon. Why is it my favourite? Well, it stars my favourite Bond, Sir Rog, who I think gives one of his best performances in the role; it has everything from lovely ladies, amazing cars, great action, super villain and, of course, the most famous henchman of all, Jaws.

I'm not saying it's the best of the Bond movies, or that Moore is the best Bond but, currently, it's my favourite.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,817
    GoldenEye is and has been my favourite for a while... to me it is simply the most perfect Bond film. It gets the most right - action, pacing, characters, finale, gadgets, one-liners - and this really is Brosnan's only classic and one of his two good performances (along with TND). The writing is also top-notch.
    And some moments in the film are just golden to the eye (bad pun). Dam jump, graveyard scene, tank chase, cradle fight, etc. Great stuff!

EDIT: People hate Eric Serra's score, but I found it to have WAY more personality than anything Arnold did... Fit the film very well with that constant metallic sound.
    Licence to Kill has been my favorite Bond film for a very long time. Not even the mostly great Craig films have been able to knock it from the top spot. As for why it's my favorite Bond film, there are several reasons. First and foremost is Timothy Dalton, the best of the actors to take on the role of Bond. The film also has my favorite villain in Robert Davi's Franz Sanchez and my favorite Bond girl in Carey Lowell's Pam Bouvier.

Those things in addition to the harder edge the film has, the (for the time) fresh approach of Bond going rogue, the film's smaller scale, and the Fleming-inspired material help to make Licence to Kill my favorite Bond film.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,130
    The world is not enough

I love the mixture between serious and light hearted take on this.
    I loved the performances from Pierce, Sophie and Judi Dench in it and they made a great and very moving goodbye to Desmond Lewing who played Q for almost 40 years.

I also loved the Chemistry Between Pierce and Sophie. They seemed like they really loved each other at least for the moments where they were together in bed, their connection seemed so real.

And last but not least the twist of making elektra the mastermind villain was something really I didn't see it coming. I liked her backstory and how she was a villain who became one instead of being evil since she was young.

Of course the locations are really nice and at the end it has all the Bond elements in check with one of the most exciting pre tittles sequences
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Goldfinger It was the first Bond film I really liked as a kid. The electrocution of Oddjob stayed in my memories for years.

There are so many iconic moments in it, The PTS, Golfinger caught cheating, the golden girl, the golf match, the steel rimmed bowler, the Aston Martin, the lazer, Pussy Galore and of course the amazing Fort Knox set.

I like that it improves on Fleming's novel in that the plan is to make the Gold radioactive instead of stealing it.

Love the moment Bond catches Goldfinger cheating (a scene straight from the book) and the game of golf (A sport sadly missing from any other Bond film)

The acting is excellent with Connery at his best and John Barry's score is just so cool.

It has all the right Bond elements together.

Never get tired of it (The book is pretty good as well!)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Goldfinger It was the first Bond film I really liked as a kid. The electrocution of Oddjob stayed in my memories for years.

There are so many iconic moments in it, The PTS, Golfinger caught cheating, the golden girl, the golf match, the steel rimmed bowler, the Aston Martin, the lazer, Pussy Galore and of course the amazing Fort Knox set.

I like that it improves on Fleming's novel in that the plan is to make the Gold radioactive instead of stealing it.

Love the moment Bond catches Goldfinger cheating (a scene straight from the book) and the game of golf (A sport sadly missing from any other Bond film)

The acting is excellent with Connery at his best and John Barry's score is just so cool.

It has all the right Bond elements together.

Never get tired of it (The book is pretty good as well!)

You summed it up quite well. There is a special shimmer to that film.
    Yep. GF is just amazing; it's Golden Age Bond firing on all cylinders, with the perfect tone juggling the simmering spy thriller of FRWL and the outlandishness and epic scale of TB.
    From Russia With Love

It's as much a quintessential Bond as Goldfinger, but not as over the top. It has all the Bond-elements: an intriguing PTS, a great title sequence (maybe simple, but very effective), a score that gave us the glorious 007 theme and wonderful locations. Only a Bond-song is missing - I don't count Matt Munro's rendition of FRWL, as it's only heard over the end credits.

The cast is of the very best in the entire franchise. Connery is very much at ease in this movie but still intense. His scenes with Moneypenny are witty, and this movie gave us Q. The Bondgirl seems at times a bit lost in this film, but we're still in a day and age where women needed a bit more rescuing. However, the chemistry with Connery is convincing. Kerim Bey is one of the loveliest characters in the franchise and his rapport with Bond is so cordial, almost paternal (well, he had that many sons that one more probably didn't matter).

The henchmen are also of the most threatening and efficient in the series. Grant doesn't need any metallic teeth, steel-rimmed hat or what have you. Just his determination, slyness and physical strength make him threatening enough. Klebb is certainly one of the most memorable, with a death scene ... to die for.

The movie has many classic moments: the bomb exploding in Kerim Bey's office and his reaction to it, the interrogation of Tanya on the Bosporus ship, the depositing scene in the Hagia Sophia, the punting in the underground canals, the girl fight in the gypsy camp, the shooting of Krilencu as he climbs out of the movieposter's mouth, the train-fight, the North By Northwest-alike moment, the demise of Klebb ...

But above all, the story is very well put together. Bond-scripts now and then lack originality or simplicity (in the good sense), but FRWL tells a credible story angling more on the thriller and (maybe old-fashioned, but plausible) espionage aspect. It's not just a good Bond-movie, it's a good movie overall.

I simply can't fault this movie in any regard.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I simply can't fault this movie in any regard.
    Not even the Popeye hat?
    :))
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Still GOLDFINGER, but I think that I've gone on enough as to why all over these boards.

I can't stop thinking about Guy Hamilton's passing today. He helped bring us the quintessential Bond film... and LALD, another one I really like.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,554
    I have four favorites that I rank tied. In chrono order:

1. GF: Iconic Bond film of the 60s. The storyline is rather ridiculous, but the film is wonderful cinema on several levels: variety of locales; first time cars and clothes are a big deal in a Bond film; Barry's bombastic score; and to top things off: Kentucky Fried Chicken!

2. TB: The ambience of this film is terrific. Two contrasting locales. The fact that Bond is operating in a tight time frame, on an island, really ramps up the suspense. The dialogue (and one-liners) are top-notch.

3. CR: Probably the most realistic plot of any Bond film. We get Bond, back to basics. Daniel Craig shows off his acting chops, particularly in scenes when he isn't saying a word.

4. SF: Bond for the 21st century. A deeper story than most that resonated with me: I was in a deep depression when I saw this film, in Las Vegas. I came out of it with a sense that I wasn't alone in feeling my midlife crisis. It's a changing world in the spygame, and personally, as you get older. Everything's at a crossroads in this film, which makes the "underground map" such a brilliant visual metaphor. Cinematography. Score. Acting. (Am I maybe leaning toward this one being my #1? Perhaps.)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited April 2016 Posts: 4,116
    I have many fond memories with different Bond films.

I remember my introduction to Bond watching the old 60's films on Sunday nights. I remember going to see the new ones in their cinema with my parents.

A very special and fond memory for me even though not my favorite Bond film was going to see QoS with my dad. It was the last Bond film and last film we saw in the theatre together.

TSWLM was my first Bond film to see in the theatre and I loved it!!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I love too see people so passionate for their given film. One of these days I'll give it my shot, and try and break down why Dr No will always be my favourite. Trouble is I'm not very eloquent, so It'll take me a while to express in a way I'm happy with.
    I love too see people so passionate for their given film. One of these days I'll give it my shot, and try and break down why Dr No will always be my favourite.
    Would it have something to do with it's being the best Bond movie?
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I love too see people so passionate for their given film. One of these days I'll give it my shot, and try and break down why Dr No will always be my favourite. Trouble is I'm not very eloquent, so It'll take me a while to express in a way I'm happy with.

Very nice pick. The film that started all and very beginning of tge official franchise.
    Please give it a shot to make you feel better no one here is a journalist and we all make mistakes at writing so have fun and explain why you loved that film so much.

I love Dr No as well its in my top 5 with the 4 Pierce's fims.

• 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    i think its time someone gave Goldeneye some love around here.
    I have a personal connection to that movie simply because it was my first Bond film.
    I got into the Franchise through the n64 game Goldeneye 64 (as many others here) and decided to check the movie out later on. Good memories.
    It still more than holds up.

Goldeneye has some of the coolest characters in the franchise, all the Bad guys are great. Trevelyan is still my favorite Bond Villain simply because he is like Bonds Evil twin, a match in every aspect, especially physically which gave us the most intense fight scene in the entire franchise.

I can't say enough of the Awesomeness that is Xenia, that woman is completely nuts and makes the movie so much better. Natalia is my personal favorite Bond girl, she seems just 'realer' than most of the others and Izabella Scorupco is of polish descent, just like me, that helps :)

The action is extreme and over the top but fun at the same time. It is still very intense and never becomes a parody of itself due to the more than capable hands of Martin Campbell.

The Score is also intense and emotional (which fits the movie anyways) and i honestly don't understand the hate, but to each their own. Also GE has one of the best Titlesongs written by one of the biggest bands in the world.

The locations are great, Monaco and Bond is like a match made in heaven.
    Bond on his own in St. Petersburg, imagine that in the 60's...
    And the finale in Cuba is pure perfection.

Brosnan, IMO, is at his unhinged best, full of energy and wanting to prove himself, much like Craig in CR.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited May 2016 Posts: 16,330
    Right on! @00Agent, GoldenEye is my favorite as well. :-bd
    Murdock wrote: »
    Right on! @00Agent, GoldenEye is my favorite as well. :-bd
    Again, not my #1, but solidly in my top ten (And I severely love all in my top ten... ).
  • 00Agent wrote: »
    i think its time someone gave Goldeneye some love around here.
    I have a personal connection to that movie simply because it was my first Bond film.
    I got into the Franchise through the n64 game Goldeneye 64 (as many others here) and decided to check the movie out later on. Good memories.
    It still more than holds up.

Goldeneye has some of the coolest characters in the franchise, all the Bad guys are great. Trevelyan is still my favorite Bond Villain simply because he is like Bonds Evil twin, a match in every aspect, especially physically which gave us the most intense fight scene in the entire franchise.

I can't say enough of the Awesomeness that is Xenia, that woman is completely nuts and makes the movie so much better. Natalia is my personal favorite Bond girl, she seems just 'realer' than most of the others and Izabella Scorupco is of polish descent, just like me, that helps :)

The action is extreme and over the top but fun at the same time. It is still very intense and never becomes a parody of itself due to the more than capable hands of Martin Campbell.

The Score is also intense and emotional (which fits the movie anyways) and i honestly don't understand the hate, but to each their own. Also GE has one of the best Titlesongs written by one of the biggest bands in the world.

The locations are great, Monaco and Bond is like a match made in heaven.
    Bond on his own in St. Petersburg, imagine that in the 60's...
    And the finale in Cuba is pure perfection.

Brosnan, IMO, is at his unhinged best, full of energy and wanting to prove himself, much like Craig in CR.

Yes, Goldeneye is my favourite too, we do need some more love for that film here.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 2016 Posts: 6,780
    @00Agent GE is my favourite 'modern' Bond film.
    Kudos on appreciating the score too, I often listen to Serra's work.