"Sometimes the old ways are the best"- For My Fellow Lovers of the Retrospective

0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
edited December 2012 in General Discussion Posts: 28,694
Alright, this thread is simple, and for those on here that have a love of the "old", or as I like to say, "classic". This can be old literature, films, music, any and everything from long ago dating decades down the line. Hopefully this will prompt some discussion on our favorite "classic" loves, and why, as Kincade says, "Sometimes the old ways are the best." To give you all a basic taste of what I enjoy:

Film:
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
To Have and Have Not
The Big Sleep
Citizen Kane
Psycho
The Third Man
Some Like It Hot

And obviously Sir Sean's Bond films from 62 to 65

*My main loves are films with Humphrey Bogart (my favorite actor) and Marilyn Monroe (my favorite actress). I also love Lauren Bacall, Hitchcock, John Huston and Orson Welles to name but a few.

Literature:
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories and novels
Anything my Alexandré Dumas (The Three Musketeers, The Count of Monte Cristo)
Fleming's Bonds (I am at DAF right now, but haven't started)
Some Robert Louis Stevenson

Music:
Frank Sinatra (my favorite musician/entertainer of all time)
Dean Martin
Ray Charles
Sammy Davis Jr.
Basically anything with crooners and jazz

Now, your turn. >:D<

Comments

• I can see what you're up to, and not so much a surprise, but in any event, Yes am also a fan and viewer of the movies listed and their period of release

Bogart of course gets a mention with the top two releases, an actor of caliber, Third Man is also one of my favorite releases, but so much a fan of Monroe

Connery in the early years - quite outstanding Bond, apart from Goldfinger

The music names mentioned are all very good, Sinatra needs no introduction, although @TouchmyButtons was threatening to have more comebacks than the great man himself..

My favorite era of music I remember would of been between 1964-69 and then at a later date from say 1978 - 82. Blondie would of played a big part in the latter

Far too late to participate any further, so Goodnight etc I-)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Alright, this thread is simple, and for those on here that have a love of the "old", or as I like to say, "classic". This can be old literature, films, music, any and everything from long ago dating decades down the line.

Shakespeare rocks.
    Richard Matheson as well.
    Forbidden Planet, Maltese Falcon, The Mark Of Zorro, and Buster Crabbe's Flash & Buck, big fan of Georgio Mororder's version of Metropolis.
    Trek & Lost In Space still rule (more Trek), UFO & The Prisoner...
    Beatles (without ear muffs), Rolling Stones, Emerson Lake & Palmer & Blondie.
  • Such a good thread and I'm glad I'll spend the next few minutes here.

Film:
    - "The Kid", Charles Chaplin.
    - "Les 400 Coups", François Truffaut.
    - "A Bout De Souffle", Jean-Luc Godard.
    - "Vivre Sa Vie", Jean-Luc Godard.
    - "Psycho", Alfred Hitchcock.
    - "Manhattan", Woody Allen.
    - "Lolita", Stanley Kubrick.
    - "Top Hat", Mark Sandrich.
    - The classic Bond, for sure.

Literature:
    - Shakespeare.
    - F. Scott Fitzgerald.
    - Machado de Assis.
    - Ian Flaming. ;)
    - Jack Kerouac.

Music:
    - The Beatles. :x (the first on my list, basically for defining my whole life. And yes, without ear muffs.)
    - The Rolling Stones.
    - Serge Gainsbourg.
    - Frank Sinatra. :x
    - Bob Dylan.
    - Charles Trenet.
    - Erik Satie.
    - Muddy Waters.
    - Robert Johnson.
    - Chico Buarque. :x

I left many of my inspirations out, but this is getting too big and I'm getting too embarrassed. :|
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well, obviously, what we now love of 'old' has proven to be such high quality that we still regard it very high. One film that hasn't been mentioned here is of course North by North West.
    When it comes to music, I love indeed those from the Rat Pack, Dylan, The Beatles, etc.
    Lesser nown but to my mind very great artists are Nina Simone, Harry Belafonte and, again not mentioned yet but all time greats like Jaques Bruel and Aznavour. Ah, not forgetting Piaf en Dietrich, of course.

Literature I have little time for, but I will say that though he's still writing, John le Carre's early work is by far his best.

Then I do have a love for older vehicles. First, cars: they at least give you the real sense of driving instead of pointing around a space ship. I'm looking for an Alfa Spider right now.
    Also I prefer older planes to these day's monstrosities. In the 1930's and '40's, even up till the 60's, flying was an adventure and going to the other side of the world would take a couple of days with stops in exotic places. Nowedays they're just huge buses. And the magnificence of those radial engines... Oh well. I'll leave you with a picture of what I'll buy if I do end up a millionaire:
    2+GS.jpg
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    edited December 2012 Posts: 858
    Not as mutch a fan of older movies, I do thoroughly enjoy The Saint and The Persuaders, but that's more because Roger makes it sutch a pleasure to watch.

The Music though, is where I am in great company.

Dean Martin
    Frank Sinatra
    Michael Buble
    Elvis Presley
    Nina Simone
    Beegie Adair

Are only some of the people I listen to on days like this, sitting in front of the fireplace, sometimes even going so far as reading an old Fleming.

I'm also one of the people who think that fashion has went banana's as well. the last time I wore just a t-shirt while not inside my own house or at a gym must have been 5 years ago. Almost exclusively wear shirts, blazers, jackets and an occasional suit when asked for. I have multiple, as every man should have at least 1 black suit in his wardrobe, complete with a black bow- and necktie and polished black shoes. I get called a lot of thing for always being "overdressed" everywhere, whereas I think the other kids my age (19) are sometimes severely underdressed, putting on sneakers under a suit for proms etcetera ~X( .

Anyway, rant over, I'll be sure to watch some of the movies in this thread on the next cold winter day ;)

Oh, and don't get me started about old vehicles, @CommanderRoss ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Alright, this thread is simple, and for those on here that have a love of the "old", or as I like to say, "classic". This can be old literature, films, music, any and everything from long ago dating decades down the line. Hopefully this will prompt some discussion on our favorite "classic" loves, and why, as Kincade says, "Sometimes the old ways are the best." To give you all a basic taste of what I enjoy:

Film:
    Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon
    To Have and Have Not
    The Big Sleep
    Citizen Kane
    Psycho
    The Third Man
    Some Like It Hot

*My main loves are films with Humphrey Bogart (my favorite actor) and Marilyn Monroe (my favorite actress). I also love Lauren Bacall, Hitchcock, John Huston and Orson Welles to name but a few.

Literature:

Your lists are pretty sound.

I would add the 39 Steps (book and film - Hitchcock version only) and North by Northwest.

Also if you like Hitchcock these two films - Les Diaboliques and Les Salaires du Peurs - by Henri Georges Clouzot (labelled the French Hitchcock) are as good as anything by Hitch himself.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Great lists everyone. Wonderful to see so much Hitch and Nina Simone, who did one of my favorites, "I'm Feeling Good."
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 822
    Movies:
    -Classic Bond
    -Psycho
    -Any other Hitchcock film
    -Some Like it Hot
    -The 3rd Man
    -Casablanca
    -From Here to Eternity
    -Anything with Bogart

Music:
    -Sinatra
    -The Rolling Stones
    -Beatles
    -McCartney

Literature:
    -Bond
    -Sherlock Holmes

Not bad for a teenager, eh?

• Film:
    Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon
    To Have and Have Not
    The Big Sleep
    Citizen Kane
    Psycho
    The Third Man
    Some Like It Hot

Literature:

Music:
    Dean Martin
    Ray Charles
    Sammy Davis Jr.

Be still my beating heart! I love every single one of these things! to quote Archer: "Every single noun and verb in that sentence totally arouses me!" haha!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 7,653
    I personaly prefer Bing Crosby over Frank Sinatra most of the time as I find Bing the better singer and the more innovative of the two.
    The Who are in my humble opinion better than either the Beatles or the Stones.

As for the b/w movies
    The Thin man (and it sequels)
    The Saint b/w movies
    The Falcon
    Mr Moto
    Charlie Chan
    the Whistler series
    Boston Blackie
    the Lone wolf b/w series
    Tarzan (weismuller and Barker years)
    Of course quite some Bogart movies, as well as Errol Flyn movies
    the Marx brothers
    Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers movies
    The wizard of OZ

literature
    Leslie Charteris (The Saint) have quite a few 1st editions
    Sherlock Holmes and the lost world
    Philip Marlowe
    Also the Caleb Carr novels / Matthew Pearl novels
    Fantomas/ Joseph Rouletabille (Le mystère de la chambre jaune) / Lupin
    I've got the three Raffles novels
    Tarzan novels
    and quite a lot of pre-WOII detective novels, which are often quite cheaply to come by as there seems to be few buyers interested.
    Agatha Christie (have a few 1st editions as well)
  • Alright, this thread is simple, and for those on here that have a love of the "old", or as I like to say, "classic". This can be old literature, films, music, any and everything from long ago dating decades down the line. Hopefully this will prompt some discussion on our favorite "classic" loves, and why, as Kincade says, "Sometimes the old ways are the best." To give you all a basic taste of what I enjoy:

Film:
    Casablanca
    The Maltese Falcon
    To Have and Have Not
    The Big Sleep
    Citizen Kane
    Psycho
    The Third Man
    Some Like It Hot

Literature:

Music:
    Dean Martin
    Ray Charles
    Sammy Davis Jr.

You have pretty much the same list i would have.

Would include majority of hitchcock movies, Marx brothers films made at universal.

Night of the hunter
    kiss me deadly
    asphalt jungle
    touch of evil
    Chinatown, ok that one is in the seventies. :-)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh, I am happy to see this thread! But I have to leave in 10 minutes for work. So I will post my list in about 14 hours or so.

I agree with so much that is already listed in these posts.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It is great to see so much love for Bogie, Frank, Orson Welles, Marilyn, Sherlock and so much more! So many great classics films to see, so little time. Does anyone here have a favorite classic writer, actor, singer, etc.? I would be interested to hear it.