Windows, Linux or Mac? The Operational System Thread

X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
edited March 2013 in General Discussion Posts: 2,635
Currently i'm using Windows 7 Home Basic on the system, but at this exact minute, i'm upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate. I'm trying to test it and see if the additional resources of it are good. I'll use the Anytime Upgrade, but I'm just a bit ansious and worried, because i'm afraid of losing everything i have.

Which system you use, and, what do you like on it?

This thread also is effective for any problems you encounter. Share it with us and we might solve it. :)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2012 Posts: 17,691
    I'm using a 2011 macbook with os x lion (planning on upgrading to mountain lion) and a vm of windows 7. Best of both worlds, and pretty smooth experience all and all. Have a ubuntu computer around as well, planning on switching to linux mint. They all have their benefits as operating systems.

-ori0nbeta
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I use Linux Mint 13 with some features from 14 (I didn't want to upgrade the system), amazing OS. I had several computers with windows before that and also used several Linux distros but Mint is the best OS I ever worked with. Lightweight, smooth, good-looking, all hardware is plug-and-play with no need for drivers, plus it starts in just a few seconds.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited December 2012 Posts: 2,635
    I've just changed to W7 Ultimate, and it's awesome. But I'm planning to change my SO again, for Windows 8. Seems that Microsoft made the 'no losing archives while changing the Windows Version' system, and that makes me like W7 and W8 even more.
    I'll test Windows 8 in the VirtualBox program, if i like it, i'll make it to the real PC.

A few questions, are Linux and Mac all that good? I think that their appearance are good, but can't be compared to Windows, i think. I never liked Linux, can't say anything of Mac.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    I've just changed to W7 Ultimate, and it's awesome. But I'm planning to change my SO again, for Windows 8. Seems that Microsoft made the 'no losing archives while changing the Windows Version' system, and that makes me like W7 and W8 even more.
    I'll test Windows 8 in the VirtualBox program, if i like it, i'll make it to the real PC.

A few questions, are Linux and Mac all that good? I think that their appearance are good, but can't be compared to Windows, i think. I never liked Linux, can't say anything of Mac.

No, they can't be compared to Windows as they are both much better ;)
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Never knew about that, @Sandy. Actually Linux and Mac can run some specific programs (such as Final Cut, in Mac) but, they can't run most of the programs that Windows does. In compensation, Linux and Mac has a very minor problems with virus.
    That's everything i know.
    Both Linux and Mac have almost no problems with virus because there is no such thing as .exe files in them, you always have to authorize every change, every update, every install. So if some virus, trojan etc that tries to run in one of these systems the use has to allow it to enter by typing the password, which makes it a little bit difficult to say the least. Mac is based on UNIX, which has a similar architecture to Linux, which makes them much more stable than the windows one. Linux can actually run most programs from windows using a program called Wine, but some Linux-specific programs are much more powerful than the windows equivalents so I almost don't feel the need to use them. There are also things that can only be run in Linux, especially in science. In addition GNU/Linux gives a different kind of freedom, since it's an open software so think the power of a Mac OS but without the Apple "dictatorship". And last but not least supercomputers run on Linux, there is a reason why!
    Sandy wrote:
    X3MSonicX wrote:

No, they can't be compared to Windows as they are both much better ;)

I wouldn't say better, just different. They all do different things in different ways. Having worked with them all they all have their ups and downs.
    I use mac the most, because I have a mac, but I plan on finding a way to get a decent pc to get some more games. (let's not start a what-is-better argument, please)

Mint is my favourite linux distro, what are some other good ones? (other than the generic ubuntu)
    Sandy wrote:
    Both Linux and Mac have almost no problems with virus because there is no such thing as .exe files in them, you always have to authorize every change, every update, every install. So if some virus, trojan etc that tries to run in one of these systems the use has to allow it to enter by typing the password, which makes it a little bit difficult to say the least. Mac is based on UNIX, which has a similar architecture to Linux, which makes them much more stable than the windows one. Linux can actually run most programs from windows using a program called Wine, but some Linux-specific programs are much more powerful than the windows equivalents so I almost don't feel the need to use them. There are also things that can only be run in Linux, especially in science. In addition GNU/Linux gives a different kind of freedom, since it's an open software so think the power of a Mac OS but without the Apple "dictatorship". And last but not least supercomputers run on Linux, there is a reason why!

I must agree, however I'm still waiting for someone to remake an LCARS tablet ;)

-ori0nbeta
    My Son, the computer wiz I let post in this thread, just inadvertently created a double post, sorry. :\"> :\"> :\">
    I don't work in IT so my opinion is purely as a user. I have worked with just about anything, learned to use a computer using the plain old MS-DOS believe it or not, which was what my mother used at the time, when I was about 6. I was very surprised when I found out there were graphic interfaces :-)) In university I worked in UNIX for a semester, not enough to see how it is, just for simple programming. I mostly had Windows systems but I keep seeing them getting heavier and heavier, not better. I work with a Windows at work and a Linux at home, and still have a laptop with dual boot WXp-Linux (works great on the latter, drags like hell in Xp). I'm not saying Windows is bad, I'm not fundamentalist, but I think people should try several systems to see what fits. Some people claim that Linux is complicated, only for tech people, etc. That time is gone, there are distros that can be used for anyone without any prior knowledge, much easier than Windows, like Puppy Linux. Some are very complicated and I don't even think of going there.

Personally I love Mint, I think it is flawless. I did try Ubuntu but honestly I think it is also getting very heavy, using too much resources, and the interface is a bit odd. I heard very good things lately about Kubuntu, I might give it a try soon. And I keep hearing about good-old Fedora, Archlinux, Slack, Caixa Mágica.
    I was about to create a thread for this, but since i already have one, i'd use this one.

First, sit down and get some popcorn...

I have Windows 7 Ultimate, i've installed it day before yesterday, with a serial key by Windows Anytime Upgrade; and later, i've downloaded Windows 8 Pro [Portuguese-Brazil], and tested it by VirtualBox so i could see if it was working well.

First, i've tried to install it within another version of Windows, by the Virtual System of Windows 7 Ultimate, which i've already had on VirtualBox. The instalation gave me a Driver Error, but nothing wrong with that, since VirtualBox really don't let all of the drivers in the program's disposal.

Then, tried to install it by a new Virtual System, and it worked fine.

615025_533797633297932_2111488097_o.jpg
    Allright until that point. Then, today i've gone to install Windows 8 on the Real machine. I've burned it into a DVD, since W8 it's small, less than 4 GB. The installation had runned well, until an error called PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA happens.

Windows had asked me to search about it later. I've did it, and read some things about RAM and memory, but i didn't understand it so well.

But Windows 8 was alone using the computer on the installation, i wasn't running nothing else than it. Could someone know what has happened?

Thanks since yet.
  • Windows on a laptop, Ios on a tablet and Android on a phone.
    Windows on a laptop, Ios on a tablet and Android on a phone.

Which android you've got? I still have 2.2.
  • I'm not even sure...i have an HTC Desire HD and I know I have the most current version available on it. Two years old and I still love the phone.
    I'm not even sure...i have an HTC Desire HD and I know I have the most current version available on it. Two years old and I still love the phone.

Any version of Android could work, it is great. Windows Phone sucks imo.
    Aught, great. Another problem...

I'm completely desperate. I don't know what to do anymore.

I have two Windows installed in my Computer. Windows 7, and Windows 8. Today my internet had some connection problems, so i restarted the PC and entered on W8 to see if there was any problems in the internet there too. Some minutes later, it had restored.
    Then, i restarted again, and selected Windows 7. Suddenly it created a temporary logon, and now i don't know what to do!!

I've tried to delete the REGEDIT's of the TEMP user, but it didn't worked. I restarted and it gave the same problem with a temp user.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm a common Windows person. Had my best experiences with '95, especially with XP and nowadays I'm fairly pleased with how '7 has turned out. Not too big a fan of Vista or NT.
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Aught, great. Another problem...

I'm completely desperate. I don't know what to do anymore.

I have two Windows installed in my Computer. Windows 7, and Windows 8. Today my internet had some connection problems, so i restarted the PC and entered on W8 to see if there was any problems in the internet there too. Some minutes later, it had restored.
    Then, i restarted again, and selected Windows 7. Suddenly it created a temporary logon, and now i don't know what to do!!

I've tried to delete the REGEDIT's of the TEMP user, but it didn't worked. I restarted and it gave the same problem with a temp user.

Not really my speciality but have you tried restarting in security mode?

@DarthDimi Xp was very good, still the one we use at work. Didn't have much experience with the newer versions, except for the crappy W8 laptop my parents bought last Christmas that droves us crazy until my mother decided to return it and buy a W7 instead, much better.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 172
    I use Linux. Probably because of its customising abilities, fastness and... user-friendly terminal.
    I like 1990s design (whole - OS, cars, etc.), so it looks like that:
    i56_Nuotrauka-2.png .

I have also used Windows 8 - they are unusuable on my netbook. Neither classic desktop is full (there isn`t Start menu...).
    What distro do you use @W_PPK?
    LM 14. (the latest)
    With MATE.
    And, on my Samsung smartphone I have Android 4.2.1.
    (with Linux kernel)
    Sandy wrote:
    Not really my speciality but have you tried restarting in security mode?

Actually not, but i've made to fix it. Thanks :D
    W_PPK wrote:
    LM 14. (the latest)
    With MATE.

I also use Mint, but Cinnamon. I'm sticking with Maia for now with some features from Nadia. Linux has this amazing thing that although we are using similar OS mine couldn't look more different from yours! My Android is 4.0.4.

Good to know you solved your problems @X3MSonicX.
    Sandy wrote:
    W_PPK wrote:
    LM 14. (the latest)
    With MATE.

I also use Mint, but Cinnamon. I'm sticking with Maia for now with some features from Nadia. Linux has this amazing thing that although we are using similar OS mine couldn't look more different from yours! My Android is 4.0.4.

Good to know you solved your problems @X3MSonicX.

My computer isn`t friendly to GNOME 3 or Cinnamon.
    But that`s the point: you can have GNOME 2 or 1980s look, but the software is up-to-dated! Not like Windows.

Sandy, could you upload a screenshot? And how many years do you use Linux?
    I had my first contact with Linux and Unix over 10 years ago, I had mandatory programming in Uni (though my degree had nothing to do with it) and worked in different systems but at the time using Linux was not as easy as today, most things weren't compatible so I kept using Windows until about 2 years ago.

I'm planning to upload a screenshot for the Show us your desktop thread, after I change the silly one I have now.