Bond movies more violent, says NZ university

edited December 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 5,812
The Otago University in New Zealand compiled the acts of violence found in Bond movies, from DN to QOS, and discovered that the Bonds of today are more violent that the ones of yesterday. According to the article I just read on a french site, if the number of low level violent acts has stayed pretty much the same, the number of high violence acts (susceptible to lead to death or maiming) has tripled.

BTW: The less violent Bond movie ? LALD. Make of that what you will.

Source: http://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/article-297175-cinema-james-bond-de-plus-en-plus-violent-au-gre-des-films.html

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm not sure where this could go - News tidbits, maybe? - but I'll let the mods decide.

They needed a study for this? Coming up soon:

"Study shows that Daniel Craig has brought a darker, grittier feel to the Bond films than that of Roger Moore."
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    How many people are killed in Thunderball again?! This 'study' doesn't hold that much water, methinks, as @St_George would say...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 23,553
    How does one rate the level of violence? By the number of kills, the total time spent on killing or torturing or beating up people, or by the audacity of the violent acts themselves? Craig's Bond certainly seems to be putting his muscles to work quite a lot and not always with a feeling of remorse afterwards. But - lest we forget - Connery's Bond shoots Dent in cold blood, and more than once - even in the back of his already dead body. He too doesn't appear to cry a tear of guilt over the matter. LTK reached a few violent heights as well if you ask me.

Even if we discount all the desensitizing we've been suffering since long, I find the level of violence in the Bonds to be on a more or less steady course. Connery and Lazenby were brawlers, Moore wasn't to the same extent. Dalton went dark at times, Brosnan as well but less frequently. And now there's Craig. There seems to be a periodicity in all of this. Who knows - our next Bond might just be a wimp compared to Craig. ;-)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'm afraid this isn't really a good commercial for the University of Otago. I may love NZ and it's people, but if your universities come up with 'studies' like this, you do come over rather... not good. (See? iI like Kiwi's too much to be unkind).