Has Bond become a bit neo-fascist?

124»

Comments

Yes, but is England still unambiguously a force for good in the DC era? M's actions are distinctly dubious in SF. She is shown as incompetent and willing to sell her agents down the river if it suits her. She stuffed Silva in SF and did the same thing to Bond in DAD. Everything is much more about shades of grey in the DC era.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Getafix wrote:
    and did the same thing to Bond in DAD.
    She was not his "mum" then. :))

Seriously, the biz is not anything if not all shades of Grey. Even Nick Fury has his shadier moments.
    For me 007 is a tool used by his country to solve the problems they want him to solve, so he cannot be a neo-fascist unless his goverment is. ;)
    @SaintMark look around you, both our governments are leaning just a bit in that direction these days in this post 9-11 pre-energy/food shortage world, eh?

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    Yes, but is England still unambiguously a force for good in the DC era? M's actions are distinctly dubious in SF. She is shown as incompetent and willing to sell her agents down the river if it suits her. She stuffed Silva in SF and did the same thing to Bond in DAD. Everything is much more about shades of grey in the DC era.

One, the M of Brosnan's era and the M of Dan's era are two different characters. Two, Silva crossed his operational line by endangering his service and M traded him for six more competent and trust worthy agents who could follow orders. What happened to him after that was out of her hands.

Though, I agree to an extent that things are more grey than black and white in Dan's era, but it isn't a new idea at all.
    What happened to him after that was out of her hands.
    Though, I agree to an extent that things are more grey than black and white in Dan's era, but it isn't a new idea at all.
    You work in the spook world, don't you, Brady? I can tell from your tone.
    ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    ;)

I seriously considered it, but thought I'd rather keep my soul and avoid lying to the faces of my loved ones at the end of the day. The only way I would even remotely go into the business is if my life had no more meaning or purpose and taking the job would be a last resort where I could at least be put to good use. Fitting, considering it is indeed a death sentence.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    chrisisall wrote:
    ;)

I seriously considered it, but thought I'd rather keep my soul and avoid lying to the faces of my loved ones at the end of the day. The only way I would even remotely go into the business is if my life had no more meaning or purpose and taking the job would be a last resort where I could at least be put to good use. Fitting, considering it is indeed a death sentence.

I applied for MI6 once (didn't get it) but to be honest I'm glad. The money is an absolute joke. It appealed to my romantic notions of being Bond and protecting the country etc and I think that's how they get away with offering such woeful money to people. Bond is the greatest recruitment ad ever.

Seriously I currently do not a lot at work and spend half my time on here but the wages they were offering would be almost half what I'm for doing that!
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    chrisisall wrote:
    ;)

I applied for MI6 once (didn't get it) but to be honest I'm glad. The money is an absolute joke. It appealed to my romantic notions of being Bond and protecting the country etc and I think that's how they get away with offering such woeful money to people. Bond is the greatest recruitment ad ever.

Seriously I currently do not a lot at work and spend half my time on here but the wages they were offering would be almost half what I'm for doing that!

Insightful comments, @TheWizardOfIce, and I agree fully. Bond really is the best recruitment the MI6 or MI5 services could have ever hoped for. And it really is a shame that those who get in the field and do all the dirty work get the least pay, barely a fraction of what the higher ups make who sit behind a desk all day. Truly shameful. But of course the governments will also act like the field agents never existed if any of them are caught, so why would they bother shelling out money for them? I expect most in the position to be at the end of the road in their life anyway, where they feel no real purpose so the money isn't really a big worry of theirs. But I can't speak for all of them, of course.
    I think the real job is pretty rubbish. They're not allowed to tell close family and friends what they do. Weird existence.