The name's 25. Bond 25, or rather, it's NTTD.

Comments

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    w2bond wrote: »
    @IGUANA That would be cool, but would require an OTT name. Imagine it being called Greene, or Carver, or Graves. And would you believe only one Bond film has been named after a villain (2 if you count references TMWTGG)
    Don't forget Dr No and Goldfinger! :)

:-S Yeah I got Goldfinger. Missed Dr No DOH!
    There's a potential problem with Shatterhand. Due to his identity, they might have to:
    - pull a OHMSS/DAF on us and pretend SP didn't exist
    - recast with a different actor and pull the wool over our eyes
    - Have Shatterhand in name only
    None of those options will sit well on this forum. Plus they rarely use the source material in large chunks
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BOND WALKS THE TALK
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    SHATTERHAND

display.jpg

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Is that you wiping yourself the muslim way?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    You know? I always loved the way Fleming shaped his titles that were neutrally descriptive of the story while also being philosophically intellectual that didn't speak directly to someone or something, in three-or-four words. I want the titles to follow that trend rather than something cheap and easy to understand.
  • CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States
    How about SNAPBACK? Or even..... BACKPACK? A new villain name maybe, haven't had those in a long time.
    Snapback's theme would be Lose Yourself by Eminem, I assume?

@ClarkDevlin that is the secret formula to a good title and harder to come up with than it looks.
    A GRUNT OR ONE WORD IS NOT ENOUGH
    The World Is Not A Nut. ;)
    Absolutely. http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/16657/the-world-is-not-a-nut-fan-trailer-2016

And friends, I just thought of a new Villain title. SLURPEE AMPERSAND. He struggles with hair loss.
  • Shatterhand is good but... please not a third one-word title beginning with 's' in a row...
    @ClarkDevlin that is the secret formula to a good title and harder to come up with than it looks.
    Indeed. I've tried. And it's unbelievably hard and head-scratching. Well... Fleming took the art of creating great titles away with him.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 676
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Aah was it ? I didn't know that Mathis1....well that kills that option then ....

Actually,this one just literally popped into my head,i don't know why : 'The Trigger Decides'.
    Bizarre but catchy.
    I really like the idea of using the word "trigger."

How about The Finger on the Trigger (a chapter title from Dr No)?
    Too chapter title-like. It's not meant to be a simple title, but kind of a motto converted from Latin to English. Fleming kind of did that.
    Milovy wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Aah was it ? I didn't know that Mathis1....well that kills that option then ....

Actually,this one just literally popped into my head,i don't know why : 'The Trigger Decides'.
    Bizarre but catchy.
    I really like the idea of using the word "trigger."

How about The Finger on the Trigger (a chapter title from Dr No)?

Reminds me too much of AWTD lyrics
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,423
    How about Danger Is My Pleasure? or First Among Equals?
    The Hildebrand Rarity
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 676
    Can one make a formula for creating a Fleming title? I'm not sure. He does evocative compound words sometimes - Moonraker, Thunderball, Goldfinger - I think GoldenEye was a good title in this vein. Not so keen on things like Nightfire or Skyfall - they don't have much weight, probably because they're only two syllables. John Gardner's Icebreaker title is better, but not quite unexpected enough.

I really like Fleming's twists on common phrases, too - live and let live and you only live once. A title I've liked for a long time now is Blood from a Stone - it doesn't twist the common phrase, but it could be seen as a reference to the difficulty of drawing "blood" from the "stone" that is Bond - basically, the difficulty villains have cutting to the heart of a cold, blunt instrument. Of course, the existence of the Blood Stone game makes this title less likely. (Everything or Nothing was another great title taken by a video game.)

Another Fleming twist on a common phrase: Seven Deadlier Sins. I quite like that one.

Some other bits of Fleming that could make evocative titles: The Death Collector, Hell is Here, Naked Warfare, Death Leaves an Echo, Blood and Thunder, A Whisper of Love...
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    oh god... i grow so tired of people tossing around "A Whisper Of Love, A Whisper Of Hate" as possible titles... it works for a chapter title, but not a Bond movie title - same thing with "Mondays Are Hell" - and even Fleming himself realized this as he retitled the book Moonraker.... Skyfall was a very good non Fleming title - it is very Fleming-esque in it's sound, and ultimate usage in the plot of the film.. Spectre on the other hand was just kind of lazy (which seemed to suit the theme of the film as well lol.)

Bond titles are a tricky beast.. on one hand, it can't sound too cliche' (ie: having words like Gold(en), Death, Die, Kill, etc.).. and on the other hand, it can't sound too pretentious....
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 6,432
    Maybe chapter titles from Fleming is the way to go next...

The Secret Agent. A title that would bring things back down to basics.

Whisper of love, Whisper of hate.

The Silver Phantom.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,423
    HASEROT wrote: »
    oh god... i grow so tired of people tossing around "A Whisper Of Love, A Whisper Of Hate" as possible titles... it works for a chapter title, but not a Bond movie title - same thing with "Mondays Are Hell" - and even Fleming himself realized this as he retitled the book Moonraker.... Skyfall was a very good non Fleming title - it is very Fleming-esque in it's sound, and ultimate usage in the plot of the film.. Spectre on the other hand was just kind of lazy (which seemed to suit the theme of the film as well lol.)

Bond titles are a tricky beast.. on one hand, it can't sound too cliche' (ie: having words like Gold(en), Death, Die, Kill, etc.).. and on the other hand, it can't sound too pretentious....
    I'm definitely with @haserot on this one. Same thing that also bugs me is The Death Collector, which is no more than a serial killer crime thriller novel title. There's a reason why the producers have opted out of using chapter titles as film titles so far, because they don't cut it. I don't see either Risico nor The Hildebrand Rarity falling into the right piece of the puzzle, either.

If no Fleming title is left, they should create their own. Fleming's titles had the feeling of all those Latin mottoes and phrases translated into English and a word or two changed from them in order to be more creative. Bond titles should have that aspect: Indirectly addressing the story while having a three-four word intellectual approach to it as they remain anonymous and don't make much of a sense unless you're out of the "third-grade-English-speaking" league. They can say whatever they like, I still love Quantum of Solace and the Brosnan era titles as well! Skyfall was another great one, despite not having much to do with the story until the third act.
    @haserot I'm not a big fan of A Whisper of Love - but I do like that it suggests romance in the same way as titles like From Russia, With Love and The Spy Who Loved Me. Of course, the full phrase (a whisper of love, a whisper of hate) is too unwieldy for a film title.

@ClarkDevlin I just Googled "The Death Collector" - which I hadn't thought to do before - and it appears to be the name of several pieces of media already. Most of them appear to be in the vein you mention. You have a point. I also see your point about titles that sound like mottos, somewhat intellectual, addressing the story. Some great examples are The World is Not Enough and Tomorrow Never Lies (a fantastic title with double meaning... unlike Tomorrow Never Dies, which seems to mean nothing). Regarding Skyfall... The title does evoke the phrase "the sky is falling," as well as Bond's ancestral home. I like it for that reason.

• In Defence of the Realm
    ...using the Brit spelling of "defense", of course.
    I did like Tomorrow Never Dies as well as Die Another Day. Both of them have that template that I mentioned. TND's title does make sense as it addresses Carver's media company while also saying that there always will be a 'Tomorrow' to come. The film has that aspect to it.
    TND's title does make sense as it addresses Carver's media company while also saying that there always will be a 'Tomorrow' to come. The film has that aspect to it.
    Well, the idea that Carver's company never dies certainly doesn't make sense. And the idea that tomorrow will always come is... not very insightful. I much prefer Tomorrow Never Lies, which seems to say something like "what does fate have in store? only tomorrow will tell." In addition to the amusing idea that Carver's paper never lies.
    Milovy wrote: »
    TND's title does make sense as it addresses Carver's media company while also saying that there always will be a 'Tomorrow' to come. The film has that aspect to it.
    Well, the idea that Carver's company never dies certainly doesn't make sense. And the idea that tomorrow will always come is... not very insightful. I much prefer Tomorrow Never Lies, which seems to say something like "what does fate have in store? only tomorrow will tell." In addition to the amusing idea that Carver's paper never lies.
    I agree with Lies and I concur it's the better one. But, as Tomorrow never dies, I was referring more onto the tomorrow that will always come after day after night. Indication to Carver's "Tomorrow" however in never dying makes very little sense. But, it still has a good ring to it, as opposed to... say The Undertaker's Wind. A title favoured by some in here which I don't see becoming a Bond title anytime soon, if at all.
    OVER THY DEAD BODY. Sounds more like Nero Wolfe tho :)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited September 2016 Posts: 4,399
    i always liked the title from one of the comics - The Man Who Saved Britain..

but i've had my fill of Britain/London centric plots... definitely needs to be given a rest for a little while.
  • Death or Glory.

Face of Death.
  • edited September 2016 Posts: 15,785
    Maybe chapter titles from Fleming is the way to go next...

The Secret Agent. A title that would bring things back down to basics.

Whisper of love, Whisper of hate.

The Silver Phantom.

I suppose one could say SPECTRE was taken from a chapter title. I like a lot of those titles: THE SILVER PHANTOM isn't bad. THE ELEGANT VENUS from DR NO , SEASCAPE WITH FIGURES from OHMSS, although that really sounds like museum art piece. Could be plot point as well. 007 meets ups with Q at his favorite museum to investigate the stolen Seascape With Figures. The investigation leads to ............Pierce Brosnan!!! He returns to the series only this time as Thomas Crown in a long awaited sequel to his 1999 hit. B25 could mark the first Bond crossover film a'la Marvel!!
    Okay, I'll admit it wasn't THAT funny. I fear something like that could actually happen in this day and age if the wrong distributor gets their hands on 007. Let's not jinx this shall we?
    The Sins That Glow On Thorns

The notion "Think On Your Sins" came to mind.