CGI in QoS not that good...

Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
edited December 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 403
I'm specifically refering to the scene where Bond and Camille are freefalling. Yes this isn't as bad as DAD, but I knew what was transpiring on screen never happened. Don't know, this just really irked me; I mean the skins are so obviously pasted on. And how do Camille's high heels not fly off?

Comments

The CGI on the plane was pretty bad. I caught that when I first saw it in 2008.

Here's an article on the VFX in that film:
    http://www.fxguide.com/featured/Bond_part_2_Quantum_of_Solace_vfx_photo_album/
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Interesting article. Did not know about the freefalling.
  • The CGI in DAD was bad but since then it has been acceptable. Sometimes I think we expect too much, it's a movie not real life.
  • CGI has no place in Bond I feel. Take the dragons from Skyfall as one example. I'd rather have no dragons than computer generated imagery ones. The CGI from Die Another Day has been debated to death, and just contributed to an overall poor release. I don't remember too much the plane sequence in question from Quantum of Solace as I usually try to erase anything that occured in that movie from mind, but once again, would ideally like to see no such effects in todays Bond if they can help it
    I don't think they could have actually blown up MI6 in London, so that had to be CGI.

I'd rather have that in the film than not. I didn't mind the dragons, either.
  • I didn't mind it. I still like QOS because it shows us Bond cutting loose. I always wanted to see that, but the CGI doesn't look too bad, however it'll probably age terribly in the next 5 years.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    CGI has no place in Bond I feel.
    So then, like me, you are a dinosaur and feel that actually photographed images are the mainstay of the Bond franchise?
    LOL, we have moved from cheap, fake rear-projections in the earlier movies to expensive, fake CGI in the latest ones?
    The difference to ME is, that fake stuff was used sparingly in the past- now it's all over the bloody place.
    the cgi wasnt the worst thing about QOS...everything in that film sucked
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    The most obvious statement of the year goes to....

Smartarse comment aside, the scene in MR and OP poops all over it (I'd rather watch Jaws fall into the circus). The only reason why it's better than DAD's surfing scene is because it's shorter, I thought the producers learnt their lesson but obviously not
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    This isn't news. *sigh*.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    This isn't news. *sigh*.

That's

B-)

news to me.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Yes, that scene was poorly done - CGI has no place in a Bond film!
  • Just to nitpick with regards to the terminologu - the freefalling was an EFFECTS shot, but that doesn't necessarily make it CG. The actors were filmed on greenscreen and then composited onto a sky environment, but daniel craig and kurylenko weren't generated by a computer like Toy Story which IS Cgi. Whereas the wave in die another day is CGI because it was generated in a computer, it's not real water that pierce was composited onto
  • The CGI in SF was worse.

The free falling scene looked pretty bad and Bond and Mitchell falling through the glass looked a bit naff but overall there's not much to complain about effects wise in QOS imo.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    That shot always looked so artificial to me, but yes, I went to the site and lo and behold, it was in front of greenscreen. Who knew
  • Strange, the Bond and Mitchell falling through the glass was actually real. They used a thing called a snake cam to follow then as they dropped over the side of the belltower...
    overall there's not much to complain about effects wise in QOS imo.
    The hanging upside-down gag was dopey, worse than any CGI.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    chrisisall wrote:
    overall there's not much to complain about effects wise in QOS imo.
    The hanging upside-down gag was dopey, worse than any CGI.
    I love that piece. One of my favorites of the series is the Sienna chase and then the scaffold fight.

I love that piece.
    First time I HATED it. Second time I reluctantly accepted it. Third time I let it go. Next time I might actually like it a bit, who knows.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    I love that piece.
    First time I HATED it. Second time I reluctantly accepted it. Third time I let it go. Next time I might actually like it a bit, who knows.

I'm nutty for chases. 8-}
    You must love the movies "Vanishing Point" and "The Chase" then, eh?
    chrisisall wrote:
    You must love the movies "Vanishing Point" and "The Chase" then, eh?
    Are they from the 40s or 50s?

The 70's & 90's, respectively.
    chrisisall wrote:

Then no.
    chrisisall wrote:

Then no.
    I dismiss your dismissiveness.

chrisisall wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Then no.
    I dismiss your dismissiveness.

Sorry, I just mean I wouldn't be familiar with them then.
  • I love Vanish Point. Good story/characters, some great veichle action, and that car is beautiful.

Sorry, I just mean I wouldn't be familiar with them then.
    Seek out Vanishing Point dude! Seventies intensity...