TWINE: Did Brosnan offer a definitive characterisation of 007?

Comments

Don't bother.

Even though he apparently loves the serious films and hates it when Bond becomes a "cartoon character", the only OTT films @actonsteve seems not to like are Brosnans.

yes, personal attacks are a brilliant way to form arguments.

Getafix wrote:
    [q
    I think it's unfair to compare with GE - you're setting the bar too low! ;)

=)) =)) =)) very true.
  • Don't bother.

Even though he apparently loves the serious films and hates it when Bond becomes a "cartoon character", the only OTT films @actonsteve seems not to like are Brosnans.
    Sounds reasonable to me. After all, Brozza did have the poor misfortune to appear in the worst films in the entire franchise, and also had the unenviable position of being in the Official Worst Movie Ever...DAD.

Poor old Brozza. It's not his fault he starred in such gut-wrenchingly awful trash.

That's a bit strong, I think. I agree with you on DAD...I pretend that one never even happened...but there are worse movies than Brozza's...AVTAK...DAF...MR...

But again...I don't think they can even really be compared. Totally different eras, totally different Bond's. I think with time people will grow to love Brozza as much as the other fellas. This is just the inevitable backlash.
    actonsteve wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    [q
    I think it's unfair to compare with GE - you're setting the bar too low! ;)

=)) =)) =)) very true.

GE was a very low bar that was set for Brozza, but unfortunately somehow EON managed to stoop even lower with the 3 films that followed, concluding with an All-Time Low in DAD.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Totally different eras, totally different Bond's. I think with time people will grow to love Brozza as much as the other fellas. This is just the inevitable backlash.
    Well I STILL love the Broz Age! TND will forever be in my top 5. And he's not even my favourite Bond.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    I quite like TWINE, after TND it is Brosnan's best film/performance. I must say that I am quite surprised by the hate it seems to elicit from some 'fans', I love Sophie, she's gorgeous and gives a great performance, have no problem with DR either, very easy on the eye and why shouldn't a nuclear scientist look like that!
    As for a definitive performance…I don't really think so, PB is a charming, good-looking man but for me Tim Dalton gives best Bond performances ever.
    But I still enjoy TWINE and always will.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    It was one of his best, it showed his dark face as much as his human side (Craig's fan must recognize that), he was so classy in suits and dinner jacket, very close to Connery's Goldfinger sometimes but the way they delivered lines as typed above, like "there's no point in living if you can't feel alive..." when Bond gets angry is a bit too "soap".
    The duet with Sophie Marceau is just juicy ! Robert Carlyle is a great typical villain, Robbie Coltrane is a huge comedian and proved it again since "GoldenEye". Kleinman's job is outstandingly great as almost usual. Garbage's song is close to perfect. The plot is quite realistic and historically very good making us remember OHMSS, but the dialogues not pushed at their best. Pierce Brosnan lead the film, as he did before, with perfection as Craig just did in Skyfall, "FINALLY" in this latest case, even if CR was close to as well.
    It's his best performance as an actor, the deepest, but his best in Bond would stay for me in "GoldenEye". My definite top 3 is GE, TND, TWINE. This film made me a real Bond fan. He offered the characterization.

The very first comment I read all is rightly so described and I almost totally agree : Denise Richards charcater is a waste ! They were some silly moments but it was the continuity of Moore's era, in some light ways...
  • = I must say that I am quite surprised by the hate it seems to elicit from some 'fans',

I know what you mean, all this Brozza hatred is pretty ridiculous. It's just since CR, we're seeing Bond like he always should have been...and as Pierce is the most recent 'other' Bond, he's the target for the backlash...People will forgive everyone else's shortcomings simply because enough time has passed for those shortcomings to be forgivable.

= I must say that I am quite surprised by the hate it seems to elicit from some 'fans',

I know what you mean, all this Brozza hatred is pretty ridiculous. It's just since CR, we're seeing Bond like he always should have been...and as Pierce is the most recent 'other' Bond, he's the target for the backlash...People will forgive everyone else's shortcomings simply because enough time has passed for those shortcomings to be forgivable.

Not for me. I hated Brozza's tenure as Bond. It was my most depressing time as a fan, a decade which I have now disregarded as part of the official franchise. Seeing DAD at the cinema was the first and only time I was very close to walking out of the cinema half way through a film, in utter disgust.

For me the movies ended with LTK and started again with CR.
    Wow that's pretty harcore dislike there.
    chrisisall wrote:

Totally agree with jetset
    chrisisall wrote:

Sorry, but for some of us 1995=2002 were the dark years.
  • chrisisall wrote:

I think the word you're looking for is hate. I'll defend him & TWINE. He will never be the best Bond nor will that movie ever be considered a classic but I think he was a good Bond for his time and the movie whilst flawed was still very enjoyable and any true fan should embrace his era for what it was as oppose to trying to erase it from existence. Remember back in the Ninetys he was considered only second best to Connery by popular opinion.
    1995 & 1997 SHINED as far as I'm concerned. ^:)^
    And 1999 wasn't so bad either. ;)
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    actonsteve wrote:
    Don't bother.

yes, personal attacks are a brilliant way to form arguments.

I'm not personally attacking you, it's just something I've noticed. You said Bond shouldn't be a cartoon character and the films should be like the books but then you also like DAF and MR. I just don't get why.
    chrisisall wrote:
    1995 & 1997 SHINED as far as I'm concerned. ^:)^
    And 1999 wasn't so bad either. ;)

Switch round 97 and 99 and I agree with you.

How about just "1995 - 1999 SHINED" then?
    [. I just don't get why.

"well, we wouldn't want that....would we?"

• chrisisall wrote:
    How about just "1995 - 1999 SHINED" then?

Yeah I can go with that.

Don't get me wrong I like TND but it feels a bit too, normal. There's nothing terrible about it but there's nothing great about it either. To me it feels like a slick but average Bond film with some cool moments/scenes. I like GE and TWINE better.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    True and 2002 shined at the box-office ! I still like it too ! They're golden years to me. So did all of them before, except 2006 and 2008. 1985 wasn't quite vintage neither.
    There's nothing terrible about it but there's nothing great about it either.
    Oh come now...
    "HOO, HA, HWAH. HA. Pathetic." That was awesome. :))
    Getafix wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Glad we agree on something Getafix..... B-)
    I think the word you're looking for is hate.
    Correction - hate, but with a passion.... ;)

Poor old Brozza. It's not his fault he starred in such gut-wrenchingly awful trash.

AngryMonkey.jpg
    chrisisall wrote:

AngryMonkey.jpg

:))
    Getafix wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Glad we agree on something Getafix..... B-)

When all other common ground is lost, there's nothing like giving Brozza a good kicking to bring people together.
    Getafix wrote:
    When all other common ground is lost, there's nothing like giving Brozza a good kicking to bring people together.
    I agree. A little bit of Brozza Bashing goes a long way in helping unite the world together as one.

http://www.morphthing.com/showimage/2/0/0/11013/Morph-of-Pierce-Brosnan-and-Pink.jpeg

= I must say that I am quite surprised by the hate it seems to elicit from some 'fans',

The probelm with Brozza is that yes he looked like Bond but didn't have the acting chops like a DC to back it up. His films stunk simple no matter if he was the Bond fan's wet dream it simply never worked.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    He did give the definitive "pain face" in TWINE.

I kid, I kid.
  • One major complaint I always have is, Marceau should of been the good girl, and Richards the one who went Bad, if possible. What I mean is, kill of Richards as soon as you are able, or at least have the pleasure of watching her demise, and let King remain good and have her stay until the end of the movie

It's the exact same with Jiacinta Johnson and Miranda Frost in Die another Day respectively. "They killed off the wrong girls"
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I've no regrets watching and enjoying Brosnan's films growing up. Yeah I've got older and I can see the flaws in them...but they had their moments. I do still enjoy certain scenes in each of them. Craig's films have set the bar a lot higher though...god I'm sounding like @actonsteve