What editions of the Fleming novels do you own?

Comments

To my shame I haven't read them yet! Keep an eye out, though, as there are editions that'll match your set.

258697256_233544128870572_6426342540010991622_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=wqm8-RRudU8AX8c_WTE&_nc_oc=AQkKpXSkqleJNWeq8Hj1m1L8PeNhB-3mMfhtj38Dytuw870jhFREGwr9RTr-DiNP3co&_nc_ht=scontent.fcxh3-1.fna&oh=d9e9226c71fa3b21cf75c90f8e83ffb1&oe=6199E9AB

Looks awesome - thank you for the heads up. I very well may reread the Bond series before B26 seeing as we’re likely in for another big movie gap. Also excited about the upcoming game.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 2,161
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @haserot, I only have four or five of the Penguin editions, and one of them is GF. I have bad OCD when it comes to things like this, so I really want to round out the Penguin editions instead of those terrible new editions they have with the dull, uninspired covers. But, I feel like these days I'll settle with whatever, just so I can own the entire collection.

I grew up with the Penguin editions, but even those have several runs with various alterations. I would grab them for 50 cents apiece at the used book store. Only the late ones had the faux pages flipped at the top corner, as in the sample pictured above. The earliest ones were published before Fleming died, so those editions have a different photo and biography on the back. The ones after he died mention that YOLT would soon be released. At least three different Penguin editions. Then YOLT, OHMSS and OP were released later by Penguin in an entirely different format.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 624
    @NickTwentyTwo here ya go!

I'm trying out imgur because I really want you all to see my collection. :D

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

Those look great on the shelf.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

Does that Penguin Blofeld Trilogy come with an introduction?
  • @NickTwentyTwo here ya go!

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

Thanks, they indeed do. So colorful and vibrant. They're my favorite covers of any Flemings I've seen. They were also the current editions when I first read them.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

I don't recall. I'll check when I get home from work and let you know!

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

Thanks, they indeed do. So colorful and vibrant. They're my favorite covers of any Flemings I've seen. They were also the current editions when I first read them.

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

Thanks! :)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited November 2021 Posts: 7,518

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

Beautiful collection! Love that cover for FAAD.
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

@Dragonpol Nothing on my copy of The Blofeld Trilogy says “introduction.” The very first page is a paragraph titled “A Triple Dose Of Spectre’s Most Famous Evil Genius” followed by a short quote from Kingsley Amis. The next page is 4 paragraphs about Ian Fleming. Then the novels come next. Is that what you were talking about?

By the way, thanks @NickTwentyTwo!
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 9,737
    i need a better bookshelf to showcase my books better

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

@Dragonpol Nothing on my copy of The Blofeld Trilogy says “introduction.” The very first page is a paragraph titled “A Triple Dose Of Spectre’s Most Famous Evil Genius” followed by a short quote from Kingsley Amis. The next page is 4 paragraphs about Ian Fleming. Then the novels come next. Is that what you were talking about?

Thanks for checking for me, @TopGearJB007. Much appreciated. I'm curious as to what the share quote from Kingsley Amis says. That doesn't sound like the introduction I was thinking of. The one I've seen has an actual introduction about the Blofeld Trilogy that runs to a few pages. Perhaps yours is a US edition or a different printing altogether?
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 372
    Got those two for 15 bucks shipped. They are pristine, so it's nice. French editions.

13942bdd192f001f681750f5a40e58385b3fe591.jpg
  • Dragonpol wrote: »

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

Thanks for checking for me, @TopGearJB007. Much appreciated. I'm curious as to what the share quote from Kingsley Amis says. That doesn't sound like the introduction I was thinking of. The one I've seen has an actual introduction about the Blofeld Trilogy that runs to a few pages. Perhaps yours is a US edition or a different printing altogether?

It is a US edition, and yeah, I don’t think it’s the introduction you were thinking of.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 17,729

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

JKU7ZjV.jpeg

It is a US edition, and yeah, I don’t think it’s the introduction you were thinking of.

Yes, I remember getting the UK version of that book out of the library once years ago to read that introduction. I think I bought it after that but it's probably in storage currently. Good to know of the differences between the UK and the US editions though. Sometimes introductions aren't reproduced for copyright reasons.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Continuing my collection with FRWL and DN...

PFCUfC4.jpeg
    (L-R Top) Pan PB 1959, 10th Printing 1963; Pan PB 1959, 12th Printing 1963; Pan PB 1959, 20th Printing 1965
    (L-R Bottom) Pan PB 1959, 23rd Printing 1972; Triad/Panther 1977 PB, 1978 Printing; Penguin PB 2002, 2006 Reissue with an introduction

D0ojGJL.jpeg
    (L-R Top) Pan PB 1960; Signet PB, 20th Printing 196?; Triad/Panther PB 1977, 1978 Printing
    (L-R Bottom) Coronet PB 19??; Penguin Classics PB 2004
    Many of those are new to me.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Most will, naturally, be British editions, except for the Signet paperbacks, which are from across the pond.
    Here's another I got for peanuts recently:

250812989.jpg

I have a preference for female covers. I wonder why.
    This weekend I'm going to photograph mine.
    Question for everyone:

If you could only have ONE First Edition Fleming, which one would it be?

Or maybe if you are lucky enough to already have a few of these,

If you had to give up all of your First Editions but ONE, which one would you keep?

you-only-live-twice-ian-fleming-first-edition.jpg?fit=1000%2C800&ssl=1

Without a doubt, for me.
    I'd have to go with CR, simply because it came first.
    I already have DAF, YOLT and TMWTGG. YOLT is probably my favourite. If I had to pick another, probably OHMSS. Or CR, for it's significance in the series.
    I already have DAF, YOLT and TMWTGG. YOLT is probably my favourite. If I had to pick another, probably OHMSS. Or CR, for it's significance in the series.

Amazing! Very jealous.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'd have to go with CR, simply because it came first.

The first of the first!

Amazing! Very jealous.

To be honest, my DAF is a tatty copy, I like to think that I rescued it. TMWTGG fares a little better but the dust jacket has no interior flaps and has been bound to the book. YOLT is the best of my three, with only the price written in pen inside, being the only thing stopping it from being mint.
    I would get them all. Or any re-release using those same original covers.
    Stamper wrote: »

Well, obviously. But that wasn't the question. ;)

A re-release with those covers would be really cool though.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 3,273
    Stamper wrote: »

I have the full set of 60's Pan Hawkley covers (to me the definitive collection), and the full set of the HB first editions that were reprinted as a set a few years ago, and come in nice protective box covers.

I'm tempted to buy the new illustrated Folio editions though. Does anyone have them? Are they worth buying?
  • I have them all except three. They're lovely, but pricey. Collecting them now would be quite an outlay. I wish I'd started collecting them back in 2015.
  • Stamper wrote: »

I'm tempted to buy the new illustrated Folio editions though. Does anyone have them? Are they worth buying?

They’re gorgeous and well-designed even beyond the illustrations. If you’re a fan of literary Bond and have the means to afford them I think they’re well worth owning. I do wish there were a few more illustrations per novel though (I think they all have around 7, including the cover?) and occasionally I feel like there are some big missed opportunities with what was chosen to, or not chosen to, illustrate. But that’s a minor nitpick when even the more mundane illustrations are so beautiful — Dalton’s style is perfect for Fleming.
  • They're also true to the original UK first edition text. Something not all Fleming hardbacks have been in recent years.