Suggestions for MI6 Community Moderators

edited December 2012 in MI6 Headlines & Feedback Posts: 65
I am fairly a newbie to this fantastic forum, but I seem to upset some folks by creating a new discussion when one already exists. There are so many currently, but would it be more user-friendly if there was a craigslist list format (positively shocking name to use as reference ;-) ) that would enable our participants to find existing locations easier versus browsing through 100+ pages?

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Tell me, @mrnate8, do you see the category lists to the right of the screen? ---->

These are what you ask for. There is also a search option.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    You can google mi6community and the name of the thread and that usually works very well. I don't think you needed to open a new thread for this and if you wanted to make a suggestion for the mods why not send a message to the mods? This way you'll get another thread closed down in no time, sorry.
  • All of you have valid points and I am a virgin at this forum since the rest of you seem to have over 1K posts.

However, I was just suggesting it may be easier to navigate if there were more sub categories.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    mrnate8 wrote:
    All of you have valid points and I am a virgin at this forum since the rest of you seem to have over 1K posts.

However, I was just suggesting it may be easier to navigate if there were more sub categories.

Like @Sandy said, Google is your friend. It is the best and easiest way of doing things. Not too much hassle, and it saves the mods time and our posts for the original discussion as opposed to a duplicate that the mods must shut down one after the other. In the same token, if you see a duplicate, be sure to add a link to the original thread or a topic similar and then leave it for the mods to take care off. No reason to add posts to a thread that will inevitably close. No need to preach, mate, but as a long standing members here we have the duty of not only commenting and engaging in discussions, but also helping to inform agents new to the field how things work in headquarter and giving our advice on how to best solve issues or concerns. Thanks, mate, and I can't wait to discuss Bond with you.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    mrnate8 wrote:
    All of you have valid points and I am a virgin at this forum since the rest of you seem to have over 1K posts.

Like @Sandy said, Google is your friend. It is the best and easiest way of doing things. Not too much hassle, and it saves the mods time and our posts for the original discussion as opposed to a duplicate that the mods must shut down one after the other. In the same token, if you see a duplicate, be sure to add a link to the original thread or a topic similar and then leave it for the mods to take care off. No reason to add posts to a thread that will inevitably close. No need to preach, mate, but as a long standing members here we have the duty of not only commenting and engaging in discussions, but also helping to inform agents new to the field how things work in headquarter and giving our advice on how to best solve issues or concerns. Thanks, mate, and I can't wait to discuss Bond with you.

Nothing more needs to be said on the matter. Brady has hit the nail on the head. Welcome to Headquarters, @mrnate8.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Could there be a thread for alerting the Mods to troll behavior?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Flagging is the best way to do this.
    im sorry but i dont want to go through a thousand pages of threads to look for something i want to discuss and i have to scrowl through each page just to make a comment makes it ludicrious
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    002 wrote:
    im sorry but i dont want to go through a thousand pages of threads to look for something i want to discuss and i have to scrowl through each page just to make a comment makes it ludicrious

Google ----> Mi6Community + [insert topic here]

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    When you Google it, you don't need to go "trough each page to make a comment"... You can skip up to the last page.

At least it's what i do.
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    Another tip if you find the layout confusing and non-structured:

1. Go to your profile
    2. Choose "Default index settings"
    3. Switch to "Discussions by Category". Save.

This will make the forums look more traditional and, in my opinion, make things easier to browse and overview.

Hope this + google search will help you guys.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I use the categories button at times; it does help.
  • BenBen
    I know mods like to try to keep all the threads streamlined and have one thread for one topic, in which I agree. However it came to my attention that threads often have more discussion about the topic when they are new threads. For example:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5459/thoughts-on-twine
    This got 24 comments before it was locked (which I do agree with), which I'm sure is more than it would of got if the link had been posted onto one of the The World Is Not Enough threads.
    Also:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/5344/james-bonds-get-free-hotel-rooms-on-oscar-night
    This is at 14 comments at the moment which is a lot more than I think it would of got if it was put onto the News tidbit thread (which arguably it should be put onto).
    The point of a forum is that we talk and discuss (you do make a new 'discussion') and so the more we talk the better, right? But I know that we don't want a spam of threads on similar/the same topics. I know, it's a catch-22 situation. Just food for thought really.

The ironic thing is that this post wouldn't get as much attention if I made a new thread on it.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Thanks @Ben. I do see your point, but because modding isn't an exact science some of it is bound not to make much sense. Threads will occasionally be closed because similar ones exist and it can be frustrating for members who are happy with the new thread. All I can say is if you feel a thread is already a living, breathing entity and doesn't deserve to be closed, then let us know and we can always bring them back.

I have re-opened threads before because the author has pmd me and argued the case.
  • BenBen
    @NicNac Thanks for your reply. I will PM you or another mod if I think it's the case. Thanks.

P.S. I always forgot to look at my notifications so sorry for the late response.