THE WILD GEESE (1978) coming to North American Blu-ray

edited November 2012 in General Movies & TV Posts: 615
FYI, my fellow Yanks... The 1978 action/adventure film THE WILD GEESE -- starring Roger Moore -- is getting a two-disc Blu-ray/DVD "combo pack" release in North America on December 11, 2012. (I believe it has been available on Blu in Europe for awhile now.)

Got a chance to screen the set a few weeks in advance of release and it looks and sounds great. The only previous Region 1 DVD release wasn't even anamorphic.

A thoroughly "old school" action pic that still holds up very well, the film certainly has its share of Bond connections, which I'm sure have been discussed in other threads here. (If only that godawful theme song could be replaced!)

While watching the film again for the first time in many a moon, I noted that Roger Moore could play a genuine "tough guy"... or at least a tougher guy than his Bond was. I actually like him better as mercenary Shawn Fynn than 007.

Comments

great film. In fairness to Rog, he made quite a few films around this time where he actually came across tougher than 007 and nobody could fathom why he never did the same in the Bond films.
    I guyss the dye was set down a more funnier Bond and the box offic obviously backed it up.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • Godawful theme song? It's brilliant, esp over the Binder credits.

I'd like to see Craig in a film like this, maybe with Hugh Grant as the Roger Moore guy! Actually, go on to imdb and he is in a movie along these lines, The Monument Men I think it's called, with an all-star cast. Due out 2014.

I do see Craig as a Richard Burton figure. Ironically, for the younger generation, there are few Burton films you can point to, to say, 'that's what he did'. If he was going to do potboilers or non-credible fare (and he did a lot of it) he should have done more stuff like The Wild Geese and Where Eagles Dare, imo. He was good at it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I've always loved the poster for The Wild Geese.