Post-Fleming Bond novels that should get movie treatment

mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
edited November 2012 in Literary 007 Posts: 259
I'm reading Carte Blanche. I'm on chapter 32 and as I'm reading that book I do see a potential plot (and also Bond 24's name) for Bond 24 film. Carte Blanche is a literally a modern day reboot of James Bond, I do see this book to film adaptation can fit into Daniel Craig's continuity (as a matter when I see Bond in Carte Blanche, I see Daniel Craig in the novel). I like the characters in Carte Blanche (Bheka Jordaan, Ophelia Maidenstone, Percy Osborne Smith, Severan Hydt, and Niall Dunne) and the characters' development in the novel. Does anybody else think Carte Blanche should serve for Bond 24? Because when I read the book, it feels like this novel was made for Daniel Craig.

Beside Carte Blanche, I noticed that other Bond novels from John Gardner, and Raymond Benson hasn't gotten any screen treatment. I read some of the plot and they look interesting for a movie treatment, I thought why hasn't EON adapt some of the post Fleming novels to be on film.

For Special service-the plot in For Special Service is somewhat interesting. I think it deserve a movie treatment. The only thing I would change for the movie is SPECTRE to Quantum (or if EON has plan to bring back SPECTRE for the Daniel Craig's continuity), and replace Cedar Leiter (Felix's daughter in the novel) to a beautiful female CIA agent who worked with Felix Leiter.

Scorpius-I find the villain and their plot and motive interesting for a future Bond film.

Win, Lose, or Die-The plot is very intreresting but let's replace top-secret British Royal Navy aircraft carrier-based summit in the novel with something else and more modern. The Brotherhood of Anarchy and Secret Terrorism really need a screen appearance.

High Time to kill, Doubleshot, and Never dream of dying-Benson was sort of creative for making The Union. I think it's about time The Union should get a screen treatment, and they would be an interesting enemy for Bond to fight. For Le Gérant/Olivier Cesari I would love Olivier Martinez to play as that person. Again, I would love to see The Union to appear in a Bond film.

The Man with the red tattoo- The plot is very interesting, and if EON wants to bring back Tiger Tanaka (Ken Wantanabe anyone?), Benson's last novel could serve as a way to bring back Tanaka on film.

Are there any post-Fleming Bond novel you would love to see as a potential Bond films? I like to hear it from some of you.

Comments

• I would be very interested in a movie adaptation of Colonel Sun. Also would not mind seeing Gardner's Icebreaker get a movie translation.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 42
    I would be very interested in a movie adaptation of Colonel Sun. Also would not mind seeing Gardner's Icebreaker get a movie translation.

Agree completely with an adaptation of Colonel Sun - a hard-edged, brutal thriller that would fit Daniel Craig like a glove. The only snag may be the fact that the story is propelled by M's kidnap; if that could be re-worked in a plausible way, then bring it on.
    mdo007 wrote:
    For Special service-the plot in For Special Service is somewhat interesting. I think it deserve a movie treatment. The only thing I would change for the movie is SPECTRE to Quantum (or if EON has plan to bring back SPECTRE for the Daniel Craig's continuity), and replace Cedar Leiter (Felix's daughter in the novel) to a beautiful female CIA agent who worked with Felix Leiter.

The first three Gardner novels - Licence Renewed, For Special Services and Icebreaker - are all worthy of being adapted for the screen. My own choice out of those three at this time would be For Special Services, as the novel's North American setting would make a change from the European/South American/Far Eastern settings of Craig's first three films (bar the Miami Airport scenes in CR, which frankly could have been filmed anywhere).

Given the fact that EON have now regained the rights to SPECTRE, For Special Services would also provide a (fairly) straighforward way to re-introduce them - and Jeffrey Wright's Felix Leiter - to the franchise.
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    For Colonel Sun, I think some element of it did appear on 2 Bond films:

-The kidnapping of M in Colonel Sun made an appearance in The World is Not Enough

-For Die Another Day, I read it on Wikipedia that Tan-Sun Moon was originally going to be named Sun Liang-tan named after the title villain in Colonel Sun. But Fleming estate insisted on royalties for the use of the name, they changed the name to Colonel Tan-Sun Moon. Speaking of that

I read it on another site, an interview with Daniel Craig spoke on why EON never use any of the Gardner or Benson's Bond novel titles for future Bond film.

http://www.thebookbond.com/2007/11/craig-says-eon-doesnt-own-gardner.html

Is there any truth to this, EON doesn't want to pay additional fee for using titles from Gardner or Benson Bond title. Is this why I don't see any of the Bond film titles taking name from Gardner or Benson?
  • Doubleshot
    Never Dream of Dying
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It wouldn't surprise me, though I thought they did have some level of ownership over the Gardner books, and I thought they flat out owned Benson's.
  • DB5DB5
    I would definitely go with "High Time to Kill." The settings (The Bahamas, England, Brussels, and finally Nepal) would make for a very good film. Plus the storyline and the characters (Roland Marquis, Dr. Harding, Hope Kendall, Chandra) would almost guarantee dynamite box office results.
    I'd love to see film adaptations of Never Send Flowers, For Special Services, and The Facts of Death.
  • Benson's novels should be turned into films (except for Red Tattoo)
    edited January 2013 Posts: 259
    It wouldn't surprise me, though I thought they did have some level of ownership over the Gardner books, and I thought they flat out owned Benson's.

Yeah I'm surprised when I heard it from the interview from DC. I always wondered why none of Benson and Gardner novel titles ever been used for. Well I hope EON can get licenses to use these post-Fleming titles for future Bond novels. I would love Bond 24 to be titled Carte Blanche. That book fit well in Daniel Craig's continuity.

@JamesBond: What's wrong with Red Tatoo, that's the only way for EON to re-introduce Tiger Tanaka in the rebooted continuity.

The problem with Gardners first novels is that parts of them were used in AVTAK and TLD already.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Gerard wrote:
    The problem with Gardners first novels is that parts of them were used in AVTAK and TLD already.

All kinds of material from Fleming is present across the whole series.
    Gerard wrote:

A View to a kill did take some part from Gardner's License Renewed (Zorin's cheating on the horse race came from Anton Murik's cheating on horce race). the ending of AVTAK was similar to the ending of Gardner's Role of Honour. But other then that, no other part of Gardner's novel got a screen adaptation neither Benson's novel got screen adaptation, which is a shame because The Union would be an interesting enemy for Bond to fight on screen.

• I would like to see adapted Icebreaker ( would be a great movie) or Role of Honour. There's really some great material on the Gardner novels. I can't comment on Benson, because I've never read any of his novels.
    I wouldn't like to see Carte Blanche to be adapted. It was a good book, but I feel that as a movie would be a bit too generic and maybe too creepy ( because of the necrophilia story) for a Bond movie.

• "Colonel Sun" aside, the only post Fleming books worthy of screen adaptation are "The Moneypenny Diaries" and Charlie Higson's fabulous young Bond series.
    Both the "Diaries" and "Young Bond" would make amazing BBC drama adaptations were as
    "Colonel Son" would be a perfect big screen vehicle for Daniel Craig.
    Will any of this happen? Not a chance in hell. Eon and IFP wouldn't know a new business opportunity if one got up and kicked them in the arse!
    mdo007 wrote:
    Gerard wrote:

A View to a kill did take some part from Gardner's License Renewed (Zorin's cheating on the horse race came from Anton Murik's cheating on horce race). the ending of AVTAK was similar to the ending of Gardner's Role of Honour.

Oh, it's a bit more than that. From memory :

Snowmobiles in the PTS of AVTAK (like in Icebreaker)

Seeing the villain in ascot (License Renewed, like you noted)

Villain being involved in computers (Role of Honour)

Bond having to take part in a race where the competition cheats (Of course, there were cars in For Special Services, instead of horses, but still)

Bond and Bond Girl trapped in an elevator sabotaged by the villain (like in For Special Services)

The Blimp (Like in Role of Honour, which you noted as well)

The arms deals between a soviet general and a capitalist villain in TLD (like in Icebreaker)

And the finale of License Renewed used as the final for TLD.

As Goldfinger said, "Once is happenstance, twice a coincidence, third is enemy action". Wonder what he would have said about eight.
    mdo007 wrote:
    For Colonel Sun, I think some element of it did appear on 2 Bond films:

-The kidnapping of M in Colonel Sun made an appearance in The World is Not Enough

-For Die Another Day, I read it on Wikipedia that Tan-Sun Moon was originally going to be named Sun Liang-tan named after the title villain in Colonel Sun. But Fleming estate insisted on royalties for the use of the name, they changed the name to Colonel Tan-Sun Moon. Speaking of that

I read it on another site, an interview with Daniel Craig spoke on why EON never use any of the Gardner or Benson's Bond novel titles for future Bond film.

http://www.thebookbond.com/2007/11/craig-says-eon-doesnt-own-gardner.html

Is there any truth to this, EON doesn't want to pay additional fee for using titles from Gardner or Benson Bond title. Is this why I don't see any of the Bond film titles taking name from Gardner or Benson?

I think EON should look at Colonel Sun as a full-on adaptation, like they did with CR. It is the only book outside of the Fleming canon that I think worthy of the man himself. I could very much imagine Fleming writing that novel, and therefore should be adapted properly, not just reference it or nick a scene or two from it.

Having said that, there is still enough unused material from Fleming to fill another couple of films at least.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,598
    License Renewed, For Special Services (my favourite Gardner Bond book), Icebreaker, Nobody Lives Forever, No Deals Mr Bond and Scorpius. There are also alot of good sections in many, if not all of the Gardner books which would make great scenes in films. I'm fairly certain Eon ripped off the blimp scene in AVTAK from Gardner's Role of Honour.

"I think EON should look at Colonel Sun as a full-on adaptation, like they did with CR. It is the only book outside of the Fleming canon that I think worthy of the man himself."

I don't agree and I definitely think that a few of Gardner's books are better than Colonel Sun. I think CS is a little overrated amongst Bond fans. It's a bit ploddish in parts and when Bond finally makes it to Sun's island it doesn't last very long until it's all over. Bit of an anti-climax. Amis is a great writer but his style seems more suited to drama than thrillers. Still, it would make a good film too.

I've only read Benson's books once except for Zero Minus Ten. This book and High Time To Kill would make good films but dialogue would have to be changed. The Man with the Red Tattoo might be nice too but I don't remember much from it like Benson's others. The plot involving the insects is good.

Screenplays for all these books would have to have a few changes obviously.

Something I read: (The part highlighted in bold I never knew but I can't say I like it. I prefer Bond's mother to be Swiss-French)

"But James Bond was no English gentleman—he wasn’t even English. His father was a Scot, and his mother Swiss—though in a last interview Fleming revealed that Bond’s mother, too, was Scottish."

The link:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/11/literary-bond-superior-to-movie-version.html
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited December 2012 Posts: 5,962
    mdo007 wrote:
    Having said that, there is still enough unused material from Fleming to fill another couple of films at least.

Agreed. Not sure if they could adapt DAF, MR (despite MR/GE/DAD), YOLT, and TMWTGG more faithfully, but I'd sure like to see them try.
    I don't read non Fleming Bond so I should not give my opinion on this one. Anyway I much prefer to take advantage of the yet unused Fleming material.
    0013 wrote:
    I don't read non Fleming Bond so I should not give my opinion on this one. Anyway I much prefer to take advantage of the yet unused Fleming material.

Why not?

Bounine wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Why not?

I don't like continuation stories. For example, The Godfather's Revenge by Winegarder which is a disaster in comparison with Puzo's The Godfather. I don't want to read someone writing on Bond other than his creator, which by the way is fantastic.
    By the same logic I wouldn't read a Holmes of another author than Conan Doyle or Montalbano by someone who isn't Camilleri.
    I respect the classics too much and because of that I won't be reading cheap impressions.

• I don't like continuation stories. For example, The Godfather's Revenge by Winegarder which is a disaster in comparison with Puzo's The Godfather. I don't want to read someone writing on Bond other than his creator, which by the way is fantastic.
    By the same logic I wouldn't read a Holmes of another author than Conan Doyle or Montalbano by someone who isn't Camilleri.
    I respect the classics too much and because of that I won't be reading cheap impressions.[/quote]

Although I salute your purist tendencies, you are missing out.
    "Colonel Sun" is probably the fourth or fifth best adult Bond novel (behind FRWL, OHMSS, etc.) and both the young Bond and Moneypenny series are simply superb.
    With regard to Holmes, Andrew Horowitz's "The House Of Silk" is up there with the best of Doyle's work.
    None of the above can be categorised as "cheap impressions".
    edited July 2015 Posts: 259
    thelion wrote:
    I would like to see adapted Icebreaker ( would be a great movie) or Role of Honour. There's really some great material on the Gardner novels. I can't comment on Benson, because I've never read any of his novels.
    I wouldn't like to see Carte Blanche to be adapted. It was a good book, but I feel that as a movie would be a bit too generic and maybe too creepy ( because of the necrophilia story) for a Bond movie.

I don't think Carte Blanche wouldn't be bad as a movie. It depend on the screenwriter and a good director to make a movie adaptation of Carte Blanche. I also like the novel it's James Bond in modern day and I know it can fit well into Daniel Craig's Bond. I like the plot in Carte Blanche and it suitable for a movie adaptation. Beside when is the last time a Bond film was filmed in South Africa? Never. Also they can probably tone down the necrophilia fetish like how Goldfinger tone down the lesbian and Goldfinger's gold fetish for the film.

Gerard wrote:

Oh, it's a bit more than that. From memory :

Snowmobiles in the PTS of AVTAK (like in Icebreaker)

Seeing the villain in ascot (License Renewed, like you noted)

Villain being involved in computers (Role of Honour)

Bond having to take part in a race where the competition cheats (Of course, there were cars in For Special Services, instead of horses, but still)

Bond and Bond Girl trapped in an elevator sabotaged by the villain (like in For Special Services)

The Blimp (Like in Role of Honour, which you noted as well)

The arms deals between a soviet general and a capitalist villain in TLD (like in Icebreaker)

And the finale of License Renewed used as the final for TLD.

As Goldfinger said, "Once is happenstance, twice a coincidence, third is enemy action". Wonder what he would have said about eight.

Ok well looks like EON took more ideas beyond License Renewed. But still I would love EON to use more of Gardner and Benson's idea (and titles) for future Bond films.

I think EON should look at Colonel Sun as a full-on adaptation, like they did with CR. It is the only book outside of the Fleming canon that I think worthy of the man himself. I could very much imagine Fleming writing that novel, and therefore should be adapted properly, not just reference it or nick a scene or two from it.

Yes I agreed there are plenty of unused material from Fleming that can still appear in future Bond films. But I want to see ideas/plots, bad guys, and Bond girls from Benson and Gardner on screen:

-The Union from Benson's 3 Bond novels sound very creative for a villain organization. I would love to see them on film.

-if EON want re-introduce SPECTRE in te rebooted continuity, they can used For Special Service plot for that. Should we have QUANTUM and SPECTRE teaming up to take down Bond (Can we have The Union teaming up with both of them), they can use Gardner's Nobody Live for ever for the plot and a title for a possible film trilogy.

-Carte Blanche is an excellent novel for a Bond 24, the novel would really fit well for DC Bond. Both Craig's Bond and Deaver's Bond are in modern time and when I read Carte Blanche I can see Daniel Craig's Bond in my mind as the plot thicken.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 2,598
    0013 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Why not?

I don't like continuation stories. For example, The Godfather's Revenge by Winegarder which is a disaster in comparison with Puzo's The Godfather. I don't want to read someone writing on Bond other than his creator, which by the way is fantastic.
    I respect the classics too much and because of that I won't be reading cheap impressions.

I don't know. I think people should atleast try reading 3 or 4 of the continuation novels, then if they decide that they don't like them, fine, don't read any more.

In terms of Carte Blanche, adapting the story for screen would be alright but it would be an atrocity if they made Craig's Bond like the 007 in CB. Deaver changed the character so much that you can barely recognise that he's James Bond. They would have to stay true to Craig's portrayal of the character. Not that you could ever say that Craig's Bond is a faithful representation of the literary character but he's much closer to Fleming's original conception than Deaver's Bond is, that's for sure.

In terms of unused Fleming material, I would love to see the Hildebrand Rarity story woven into a Bond film. This would be fantastic. I really love this short story. Probably my favourite. What Bond does in terms of getting rid of Krest's body and his reasons for it offers a fascinating insight into the character. This is a wonderful form of character movement.

The collapsing chalk cliffs at Dover as in the Moonraker novel would be very cinematic.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Bounine wrote:

In terms of unused Fleming material, I would love to see the Hildebrand Rarity story woven into a Bond film. This would be fantastic. I really love this short story. Probably my favourite. What Bond does in terms of getting rid of Krest's body and his reasons for it offers a fascinating insight into the character. This is a wonderful form of character movement.

The collapsing chalk cliffs at Dover as in the Moonraker novel would be very cinematic.

I love your idea of a faithful adaptation of THR. Unlike a lot of unused Fleming, it isn't dated. The Krests' names could be changed to avoid confusion with LTK.

As much as it pains me to admit it, we got a loose adaptation of the collapsing Dover cliffs in the infamous DAD surfing scene.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    0013 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Why not?

Well, not all continuations are cheap attempts at an original character or world. I do see your logic, as Fleming is the word of God here, and what he put in his books in unspeakably the golden text for Bond upon which everything after it should follow. As for non Doyle Holmes stories, I was admittedly intrigued by The House of Silk, an Anthony Horowitz Sherlock novel in the proper Victorian setting. I have set to see it in my nearest bookstore, but has anyone read it and would recommend it to a loyal Doyle fanboy such as myself?
    Bounine wrote:

In terms of Carte Blanche, adapting the story for screen would be alright but it would be an atrocity if they made Craig's Bond like the 007 in CB. Deaver changed the character so much that you can barely recognise that he's James Bond. They would have to stay true to Craig's portrayal of the character. Not that you could ever say that Craig's Bond is a faithful representation of the literary character but he's much closer to Fleming's original conception than Deaver's Bond is, that's for sure.

Don't worry I would like Daniel Craig's Bond to be kept the same as his previous third film if Carte Blanche does ever become Bond 24. That's the only differences I want for the screen adaptation. I have couple of ideas for the Carte Blanche screen adaptation:

-Bring back the gunbarrel sequences for this one, and yes Carte Blanche will take place a few years after what happen in Skyfall.

-the incident 20 in Serbia for the first 5 chapter could serve as a pre-title sequences.

-remove the subplot involving Bond's investigations into a KGB operation code-named "Steel Cartridge". Bond believes that his father was a spy for the United Kingdom during the Cold War, and that he was killed by Russian agents. and his mom being a mole.

-I'm not sure if we should keep the the Sudans conflict from the novel to appear on screen. Can we replace it with a fictional countries (but it can make analogies to Sudan).

Overall, I want the plot, and characters to be kept intact. I do want the adaptation to be filmed in Serbia and South Africa (the same setting in the novel).
    0013 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Why not?

Well, not all continuations are cheap attempts at an original character or world. I do see your logic, as Fleming is the word of God here, and what he put in his books in unspeakably the golden text for Bond upon which everything after it should follow. As for non Doyle Holmes stories, I was admittedly intrigued by The House of Silk, an Anthony Horowitz Sherlock novel in the proper Victorian setting. I have set to see it in my nearest bookstore, but has anyone read it and would recommend it to a loyal Doyle fanboy such as myself?

Well I admit that calling them "cheap impressions" was a little harsh. However I prefer to re-read Fleming than began with new authors. And by the way, I have a huge amount of literature other than Bond to read...
    0013 wrote:
    0013 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    0013 wrote:

Why not?

Well I admit that calling them "cheap impressions" was a little harsh. However I prefer to re-read Fleming than began with new authors. And by the way, I have a huge amount of literature other than Bond to read...

I am with you on that. You can't beat Fleming when it comes to Bond, quite obviously. I am stacked for reading material too. I am debating whether to read the third and final book in Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy, return to Fleming with DAF, or read the 1, 450+ page Les Misérables to prepare for the film (I want to read the Hugo novel first but don't know if I can in time for the film's release). I usually don't read over break and I have a whole month off from campus, so I am debating whether or not to read at all.
    echo wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

I love your idea of a faithful adaptation of THR. Unlike a lot of unused Fleming, it isn't dated. The Krests' names could be changed to avoid confusion with LTK.

As much as it pains me to admit it, we got a loose adaptation of the collapsing Dover cliffs in the infamous DAD surfing scene.

Yeah, I'd thought about whether changing Krest's name would be necessary but since it's a reboot and Moneypenny and Felix Leiter have been re-introduced for example, I'm not sure how much it would matter. I suppose it's better to change it. It would be strange if all these characters in future Bond films shared the same name as previous characters. Infact it wouldn't be good. I'd like to see Fidele Barbey on screen. Great name too.

Well, they've had similar action scenes throughout the franchise. I'm not sure how many non die hard Bond fans like us would even think of DAD if they had such a scene. The Dover cliffs are a good location for a Bond flick. Actually, I just thought of that chalk quarry at the beginning of QOS. Not similar enough though.