Anders in Bed, Goodnight in the wardrobe

edited November 2012 in Bond Movies Posts: 1,052
Having watched the Man with the Golden Gun over the weekend, I couldn't help thinking in some ways is this not one of the darkest moments in the series, shoving one girl in the cupboard whilst you get in on with another?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Having watched the Man with the Golden Gun over the weekend, I couldn't help thinking in some ways is this not one of the darkest moments in the series, shoving one girl in the cupboard whilst you get in on with another?

Possibly one of the funniest moments in the series. Personally I don't think anyone could have got away with it but Roger. It's borderline misogyny but I think even a hardened feminist could see it was played for laughs. It's got Mankiewicz written all over it.
    I agree it is a really funny scene, i just think it shows what a B'stard Rog's Bond could be, just like tricking Solataire into the sack.
  • I find Bond's scenes with Andrea in The Man With the Golden Gun quite hard to watch.

There's this woman who's trapped in a relationship with a man who would kill her if she ever left him, she goes to a secret agent for help who smacks her around, uses her to gain information, she then prostitutes herself to him and he accepts. I find it all the more difficult to sit through because I never get the impression that Andrea has the hots for James at all. She's sleeping with him because she's running out of ways to plead with him to kill Scaramanga.

Then she dies and no one mourns her. She's a tragic character and I dislike the flippancy with which she is portrayed and then dispatched of. But then, hey, this is the Bond film where we have a racist, American Sherrif pushed over by a baby elephant...
  • I find Bond's scenes with Andrea in The Man With the Golden Gun quite hard to watch.
    It's scenes like that which make me wonder how the movie would have been with Connery....
  • RC7RC7
    There's this woman who's trapped in a relationship with a man who would kill her if she ever left him, she goes to a secret agent for help who smacks her around, uses her to gain information, she then prostitutes herself to him and he accepts.

I hate the bit where he slaps her, it's too obvious an attempt to make Moore seem Connery-esque. Aside from that I think it's just a sign of the times. You'd never get away with it now but for the most part Bond was a sexist pig, Moore just took the sting out of it and made it more humorous than offensive. Although TMWTGG does stands out as being the most awkward of the bunch in terms of character direction.

• RC7 wrote:
    There's this woman who's trapped in a relationship with a man who would kill her if she ever left him, she goes to a secret agent for help who smacks her around, uses her to gain information, she then prostitutes herself to him and he accepts.

I hate the bit where he slaps her, it's too obvious an attempt to make Moore seem Connery-esque. Aside from that I think it's just a sign of the times. You'd never get away with it now but for the most part Bond was a sexist pig, Moore just took the sting out of it and made it more humorous than offensive. Although TMWTGG does stands out as being the most awkward of the bunch in terms of character direction.

Yes, totally. Connery could kind of get away with the sexism. He could spank Dink in Goldfinger and it was fine. If Moore did that it'd just be weird... They have different kinds of natural sexuality I guess. But then I couldn't imagine Connery doing the Carry On style, shoving Goodnight in a closet while he bangs Andrea. It's a weird one...
    I've always really liked the scenes with Andrea Anders, always felt they were really well acted and showed Bond having to get down and dirty to get information.
  • I've always really liked the scenes with Andrea Anders, always felt they were really well acted and showed Bond having to get down and dirty to get information.

I get that that's what they're going for. But I just don't think it works with Moore.
  • I've always really liked the scenes with Andrea Anders, always felt they were really well acted and showed Bond having to get down and dirty to get information.
    That's really the only movie where I believed Roger Moore could be James Bond.

• RC7RC7
    I've always really liked the scenes with Andrea Anders, always felt they were really well acted and showed Bond having to get down and dirty to get information.
    That's really the only movie where I believed Roger Moore could be James Bond.

Could be Ian Fleming's James Bond. To be fair to the guy he put his own spin on it and was hugely successful.
  • RC7 wrote:
    Could be Ian Fleming's James Bond. To be fair to the guy he put his own spin on it and was hugely successful.
    Oh, I'm not trying to take anything away from Sir Roger; clearly he was successful in the role.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I find Bond's scenes with Andrea in The Man With the Golden Gun quite hard to watch.

There's this woman who's trapped in a relationship with a man who would kill her if she ever left him, she goes to a secret agent for help who smacks her around, uses her to gain information, she then prostitutes herself to him and he accepts. I find it all the more difficult to sit through because I never get the impression that Andrea has the hots for James at all. She's sleeping with him because she's running out of ways to plead with him to kill Scaramanga.

Then she dies and no one mourns her. She's a tragic character and I dislike the flippancy with which she is portrayed and then dispatched of. But then, hey, this is the Bond film where we have a racist, American Sherrif pushed over by a baby elephant...

This. Although I watched it with my ex-girlfriend and she laughed. I guess she laughed as it was the sign of the time.

C'est la vie.
  • royale65 wrote:
    This. Although I watched it with my ex-girlfriend and she laughed. I guess she laughed as it was the sign of the time.

C'est la vie.

People deal with stress in different ways.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 4,813
    I almost wonder if Anders should have been strictly for comic relief- like the 'Bad Luck Brian' of the time.

<center>Bad Luck Brian
    th?id=I.4939694215463167&pid=1.7</center>

Sort of like, so much goes wrong for this character that it becomes funny.
    I feel like such an idea would have been right at home in a Moore movie
  • I have a bigger issue with what Bond did to Patricia Fearing or forcing Pussy Galore down in the hay kissing her than what Moore did in TMWTGG. At least the Moore incident (and Connery's slap in FRWL or the Galore incident) was for information/big picture cause. The Fearing thing had nothing to do with a cause at all.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2012 Posts: 17,687
    She's sleeping with him because she's running out of ways to plead with him to kill Scaramanga.

Then she dies and no one mourns her. She's a tragic character
    And in keeping with Fleming's tone, IMO. An underlying seriousness, a dangerous territory, causalities along the way...
    Actually, it bothered me more when Aki died in YOLT and Bond shed not a tear as he was on to Kissy straight away...
  • Ekland got treated horrible by Bond at times in that release, "don't worry darling, your time will come I promise", after she's been stuck in a closet for two hours as Bond has his way with another girl, literally right under her nose and thinks nothing of it

Poor Adams (Anders) did look quite miserable during most of the release, which was well done, as she spent most of the time worrying about Scaramanga or being taken advantage of. Thankfully she would have a more pleasing demeanor some years later in Octopussy