MI 6 following MI 5's Lead ? (Spoiler inside)

edited November 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 5,812
Okay, this is just a theory I've had after watching the movie, and it's not a particularly good one, but follow me here (if you dare)

All right, in the movie, Silva (one of the creepiest villain, if not the creepiest in the whole series) calls M "Mother". But what if... M wasn't his mother at all ? What if it was a code name ? M for... Mother ?

Maybe. But don't we know another Mother in the Secret Services world ? You know, MI 5's boss, the one who gave their orders to John Steed and Tara King (at least, if MI 5 was the service for which they worked, it was never really clear) ?

Which prompts me to ask the question : did MI 6 (or Skyfall's writers) took its (their) lead from The Avengers in naming its chief ? Discuss.

Comments

Judi Dench's M was never meant to be seen as Silva's mother. They're not related at all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    M never was Silva's mother. He said that in context of how M is seen in Bond's world.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Silva called her "mommy" to reference how Bond was her golden boy, as he used to be. Just another joke amongst many between them.
  • RC7RC7
    Gerard wrote:
    But what if... M wasn't his mother at all ?

Say whaaaaaaaaaaat?

Seriously, you're kidding right?
    M wasn't his mother but he felt a strange (as you said, creepy), maternal desire towards her. He felt abandoned by his parent. She's not actually his mother, he just says that because of the maternal relationship he felt she abandoned and that he recognises between Bond and M.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    It's threads like this one that make me want to bash my head against the wall.

When I first saw this thread I read the original post, then re-read it, then shook my head with disappointment and hoped for it to be a troll..
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Volante wrote:

When I first saw this thread I read the original post, then re-read it, then shook my head with disappointment and hoped for it to be a troll..

How I understand you!
    Nope, no trolling meant here. Just something that came to my mind and screamed to get out, that's all. Still, it would have been a nice tribute. Ah, well...

BTW, in France, Mother was called "Mère-Grand" (granmother, although Grabby" would be a better translation). Which was used to good effect in a comic book spoof of The Avengers. Suffice to say that the villain was called Lobo, and... Well, it didn't end happily for Mother.