Cowboys & Aliens (2011)

Comments

• CatCat
    I certainly won't miss this for anything. I jotted down the opening day in my calendar. Harrison Ford and of course my favorite, Daniel Craig. What more do you want this Summer? Waiting with great anticipation.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Only a $36.4 million opening weekend when $50 million was thought possible a few days ago. What a shame. The Smurfs went the other way, from $29 million to $35.6. That's a very close call for the number one spot!

And to top that all off the film wasn't that good either. Some are saying this is another Green Lantern sized bomb and doubt Craig can be an "action hero" for a film. It'll earn it's money back - just - but that seems to be all. No sequel here I guess.

Here's Deadline's take and analysis on what happened:

This much-hyped high concept pic from DreamWorks and Relativity and Imagine and Universal (distributing domestic only with Paramount taking foreign) couldn't do even the predicted $45 million for the weekend, but it didn't even get to $40M either. "Cowboys & Aliens did not get any late night young male business -- hence the reason Universal's estimates were so far off," a rival studio exec explained to me Friday night. I've been saying for months this actioner should have been done as a comedy! But that idea was only briefly discussed and quickly rejected. Problem is that the budget has been pegged by insiders at a low of $163M (because of filming rebates) and a high of $200M. That's partly because Cowboys endured a tortured 14-year development history involving more than a dozen writers. (Just five writers received screenplay credit after the Writers Guild not surprisingly held an arbitration trying to figure out who did what.) So here's yet another Hollywood case study of too many cooks spoiling the broth.

Awareness had been strong for the title and interest had been best with older males. But tracking had been lagging especially with women of all ages until last Thursday when it popped up. This weekend's exit polls showed the audience was 53% male vs. 47% female, with 63% of moviegoers age 30 years and older vs. 37% who were under age 30. Good thing Universal is only on the hook for 25% financing with DreamWorks taking 50% and Relativity Media 25%. DreamWorks oversaw production, and the marketing was managed as a partnership among Universal and DreamWorks. The film itself is based on a 100-page Platinum Studios graphic novel created by Scott Mitchell Rosenberg and written by Fred Van Lente and Andrew Foley.

It's going to be hard for anyone involved in the movie to shrug off responsibility for it underperforming because even the studio was gushing pre-release about its pedigree "because of its deep bench of heavyweight filmmakers and stars, and the most fan-engaged because of involving them directly at every step, particularly through director Jon Favreau, the big-ticket director most active in social media and direct interaction with his followers. Every step of the campaign kept many hands on the wheel, shared by Universal, DreamWorks and the filmmaking team, who all worked in close collaboration on every decision." Oops! As for marketing, the first teaser trailer was placed on Part 1 of Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows last November, followed by a Super Bowl teaser. The first full trailer made its debut on American Idol on April 14th and in theaters on April 29 with Universal's big hit Fast Five. The TV campaign included season finales for Top 10 Nielsen shows and sports events.

The publicity campaign launched at last year's Comic-Con even though the film had only been in production for a few weeks, Favreau used his Iron Man connection with fans to debut nearly 8 minutes of footage, including the first alien attack on the pioneer town in the film. While Harrison Ford made his first-ever appearance to a huge reception. This year's Comic-Con featured a full-frills world premiere featuring Favreau as well as Spielberg, making his own first appearance at the Con. But it's interesting how the movie disappointed despite favreau whoring himself out to The Hollywood Reporter (which nobody reads) and Ain't It Cool News (which nobody believes). The director even dragged along producer Ron Howard and producer/co-writer Bob Orci to some events, showing more and more footage each time. I heard from Universal that Daniel Craig was a royal pain in the ass when it came to doing publicity, but he did enough with Harrison Ford to merit one magazine cover line, "When Bond Met Indy". (Barf!)

The usual talk show circuit was highlighted by Jimmy Kimmel Live's "Cowboys & Aliens Week" promotion which had Favreau revisiting his Dinner For Five cable show and personally interviewing his lead cast members and filmmakers for a series of online segments. Favreau also helped create and star in a special skit with YouTube vlogging personality Freddie Wong, who specializes in action-packed and parody videos especially popular with boys. The film became the first ever to be a primary sponsor of a Nascar across multiple races as well as a tie-in with Coca-Cola in theater concessions via drink cups, and popcorn bags and buckets over the course of the summer in 8 of the top theater chains in North America. Other promotions with leading brands included 7-Eleven, Nestlé, Comcast, NCM/Sprint, Pemmican, and Hilton. And in addition to all that, the film made a significant Hispanic outreach across specialized media and publicity, highlighted by a closing night screening at the Los Angeles Latino International Film Festival. Well, you can't fault anyone for lack of trying.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/first-box-office-cowboys-aliens-40m-smurfs-29m-crazy-stupid-love-18m/
    I half suspected this. Outside of Bond, Craig just isn't a huge crowd-drawer . I have a hunch that had the movie been done with Robert Downey Jr in the role, the movie would have drawn more audience. This just goes to prove that Daniel Craig isn't a huge megastar in the states. Not one for the big blockbusters. All his movies seem to fail.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Personally, I enjoyed it. Was a fun summer blockbuster. But yes, I can see what everyone is saying - Craig isn't too popular outside of Bond. Maybe 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' will change that, who knows.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This movie has been treated harshly by the critics. I saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. One of the criticisms that has been leveled is that it moves too slow in parts. Today's audiences have become so conditioned to constant action and MTV style editing that any movie that does not fit that mold is called slow. With that said, there is plenty of action. The director has stated that it was his intent to shoot a classic western that had a scifi element. If you look back at the classic westerns, many have stetches where the pace slows down . It would be very easy to nit pick and point out "plot holes" but we are talking about a movie called Cowboys and Aliens!! As far as Craig, he does a very good job. He projects a dynamic confidence and is also able to convey tenderness, confusion and terror. He really has cultivated a trademark fighting style. This is a fun popcorn movie
    Even new westerns are slow. Movies like the Jesse James one with Brad Pitt was more like a slow drama (okay, it was a slow western themed drama) compared to even some of the older westerns.

Anyway, about the subject. It's still on my need to watch list. Despite how it performs in the states or how critics react/have reacted. It's still over a month until it get to my part of the globe.
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I don't think it's that Craig can't draw in audiences, the whole level of everyone involved seems not to have worked with this film. I think The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo will do the opposite, doing very well indeed and lead to it's two further sequels being produced.
    I don't think it's that Craig can't draw in audiences, the whole level of everyone involved seems not to have worked with this film. I think The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo will do the opposite, doing very well indeed and lead to it's two further sequels being produced.
    Probably. I'm very excited for it, just from both the regular teaser and the red-band teaser. I really want to read it before December comes.

• edited August 2011 Posts: 4,622
    I think Craig could be a hit with audiences but he needs a real top billing such as , Daniel Craig in _______________. No ambiguity. Make it clear the film is a Daniel Craig action film or whatever. In C&A he seems overshadowed by the title of the film and also has to share billing with Harrison Ford whose no longer A-list outside of his last Indiana Jones film.
    I plan on seeing this film, although I guess I better hurry. ;-)
    I generally enjoy Craig's films with exception of Golden Compass. Otherwise they've all been pretty good as has Craig's performance. Even the unheralded Flashbacks of a Fool.
  • I heard good things about Flashbacks of a Fool - I keep forgetting about it (and Defiance). I was pleasantly surprised by Golden Compass - my girlfriend rented it one night and I thought they would have gutted the story. It was a lot more faithful to the books than I expected.

Just watched Munich again as it was on (luckily unedited) TV a few nights ago. Craig is very solid in his supporting role and you could see he was destined for bigger things. Interesting to see him and Bana together on screen as Bana was tipped as a "possible" Bond. If Bana was ever seriously considered by EON, that is.
    Flashbacks of a Fool was really good, I enjoyed it. Enduring Love was also excellent in my eyes. Defiance, very good, and Munich = best film I've ever seen. So many roles here and there Craig has had that, while not necessarily big, were very entertaining to experience.
    Cowboys and Aliens deserves all the bashing its getting. It an horrendous film. Save your money for rental if you must see it.
    They have this unique idea, cowboys fighting aliens, and then they do nothing interesting or original with it. The whole movie is blah and boring. Not one interesting character in the bunch. The relationships are cliched not to mention every single character being a weak western cliche. The Oliva Wilde character is incomprehensible. Harrison Ford morphs from baddy to goody as we knew he would. Craig is real lame as outlaw trying to go good. The aliens couldn't be lamer nor their purpose less intriguing. Count the alien cliches while your counting the cowboy character cliches.
    The only interesting part of the film is keeping track of the stray dog. Favreau does a good job, making sure we are kept up to speed with who is looking after the dog. Thank you for that at least.
    The Razzies should have a field day with this bomb.
    Cowboys and Aliens deserves all the bashing its getting. It an horrendous film. Save your money for rental if you must see it.
    They have this unique idea, cowboys fighting aliens, and then they do nothing interesting or original with it. The whole movie is blah and boring. Not one interesting character in the bunch. The relationships are cliched not to mention every single character being a weak western cliche. The Oliva Wilde character is incomprehensible. Harrison Ford morphs from baddy to goody as we knew he would. Craig is real lame as outlaw trying to go good. The aliens couldn't be lamer nor their purpose less intriguing. Count the alien cliches while your counting the cowboy character cliches.
    The only interesting part of the film is keeping track of the stray dog. Favreau does a good job, making sure we are kept up to speed with who is looking after the dog. Thank you for that at least.
    The Razzies should have a field day with this bomb.
    Whew!
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    If you look back at the classic westerns, many have stetches where the pace slows down .

clearly these so called critics hasn't seen one of the best western ever made and it's sooooo slow, sooooo slow!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049730/
    edited August 2011 Posts: 40,465
    'The Searchers' = fantastic film. The problem with critics these days is that they just cannot sit through a summer blockbuster and take it for what it is. I'm a giant movie fan, myself, and less of a critic like some of the 'professional' critics, so maybe that's why I don't pick apart every second of the film and make it terrible.

But I must say, to those who watched Cowboys & Aliens: did anyone find themselves enjoying it more in the initial 25 or 30 minutes than they did when the aliens attacked? I think I may have liked it much more if it were a straight-up western, sans aliens.
    I saw Cowboys and Aliens last night in theaters, and MAN! What a movie! I loved every minute of it. Sure, the concept of cowboys clashing with aliens was a bit far out, but they pulled it off quite nicely.
    I saw Cowboys and Aliens last night in theaters, and MAN! What a movie! I loved every minute of it. Sure, the concept of cowboys clashing with aliens was a bit far out, but they pulled it off quite nicely.
    About time I've seen someone who liked it - I enjoyed every second of the film. Granted, throughout the first thirty minutes or so, I realized I would have enjoyed it a bit more if it were a straight western, but wow, was that a fun movie.
    @Creasy47: Exactly right! A real, "edge-of-your-seat" action movie.
    @00Beast, absolutely. Bet it's going to look great on blu-ray, hopefully it comes out by the end of the year.
    @Creasy47: I was wondering whether or not people would like it, and it seems to be that it's getting hammered. Honestly, I didn't know what reaction to expect, and it's unfortunate that it's not well-received.
    @00Beast, Quite unfortunate. But, people have different tastes. I just wonder what movies the people who hated this type of film like.
    This weekend's box office in America will tell us if it's got legs plus we'll know what the numbers for the first non-US markets are. All may be not lost yet as positive word of mouth may spread.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    <<blockquote rel="Creasy47">
    But I must say, to those who watched Cowboys & Aliens: did anyone find themselves enjoying it more in the initial 25 or 30 minutes than they did when the aliens attacked? I think I may have liked it much more if it were a straight-up western, sans aliens.

I felt the same way. I liked the aliens element. But there is a really great movie here as a stand alone western. Another movie that I felt this way about was From Dusk Till Dawn. i liked the movie but liked it more before the vampire element came into play.
    @talos7, I agree with both of those. If Cowboys & Aliens was just Craig and Wilde on the run - Craig forgetting who he is or why he is being pursued - with Ford right on their tail, it would have made a great film. Sounds a lot like 'Seraphim Falls', with Brosnan and Neeson.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can't comment on the film itself, as I have not seen it and have no interested in doing so. But the title sounds like it could have made a great 70's or 80's cult film. The kind of film that would now be put onto DVD by Arrow or Shamless.
    All may be not lost yet as positive word of mouth may spread.
    On the contrary I think word of mouth will kill the movie. The film ultimately degenerates in to a real bad alien invasion film. The movie started with promise. It had a nice slow build and then it fell real flat and failed to deliver on its promise. One clue as to why this movie ultimately turns out so bad is found in the credits. There are about 6 guys given credit for the script. The movie itself was subject to re-write after re-write because no-one could come up with a decent story that delivered on the promise of the premise and it shows in the final product. The screenwriters guild even had to go through a long process to figure out who would actually get a credit for the screenplay. There were other writers whoses names were dropped from the official credits.
    Problem was they had a unique idea, a good cast, a big budget but couldn't figure out an interesting story. Ultimately they had to throw something up on the screen, and this dog's breakfast potpourri of cheeseball alien and western cliches is what we got.
    Yes there might have been a movie here if the whole alien angle had been dispensed with, but they were stuck with it, and couldn't figure out what to do with it.
    Has sci-fi ever created a lamer more contrived character than the Olivia Wilde character from this film? The aliens were lifted right from Hollywood central casting.
    The star of this movie is the stray dog. It's the only character worth taking an interest in, as it drifts from keeper to keeper.
    Good on Favreau for looking out for the dog. 1 out of 5 stars for watching out for the dog.
    All may be not lost yet as positive word of mouth may spread.
    On the contrary I think word of mouth will kill the movie. The film ultimately degenerates in to a real bad alien invasion film. The movie started with promise. It had a nice slow build and then it fell real flat and failed to deliver on its promise. One clue as to why this movie ultimately turns out so bad is found in the credits. There are about 6 guys given credit for the script. The movie itself was subject to re-write after re-write because no-one could come up with a decent story that delivered on the promise of the premise and it shows in the final product. The screenwriters guild even had to go through a long process to figure out who would actually get a credit for the screenplay. There were other writers whoses names were dropped from the official credits.
    Problem was they had a unique idea, a good cast, a big budget but couldn't figure out an interesting story. Ultimately they had to throw something up on the screen, and this dog's breakfast potpourri of cheeseball alien and western cliches is what we got.
    Yes there might have been a movie here if the whole alien angle had been dispensed with, but they were stuck with it, and couldn't figure out what to do with it.
    Has sci-fi ever created a lamer more contrived character than the Olivia Wilde character from this film? The aliens were lifted right from Hollywood central casting.
    The star of this movie is the stray dog. It's the only character worth taking an interest in, as it drifts from keeper to keeper.
    Good on Favreau for looking out for the dog. 1 out of 5 stars for watching out for the dog.
    Didn't you essentially re-write this from previously in the topic?
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 4,622
    No I provided added insights for your fan-boy enjoyment :p
    At no point did I state or show that I was a fanboy of the film; how am I just because I liked it? That isn't fair.

All I stated was I think some people overly-criticize summer blockbusters like this, when you should just go in and enjoy it. If you didn't like it, fine, I respect that. But don't call me a 'fanboy' over me liking the film.
    My family saw it and loved this popcorn film, thought they mixed the two very well. Like how they didnt make the aliens god like (Stargate) and about gold, Daniel as a cowboys works very well, would love to see him in a western as an english man! :)

My favorite character was the 2nd son of ford... :)