Tennyson - the key to understanding Skyfall? (contains spoilers)

13»

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands

Eliot Carver meet M Skyfall style at 1.48
  • DariusDarius UK
    Anyway, I think Craig's interpretation of the Bond character has taken what was previously entertaining; and elevated it to the level of art. It exemplifies what makes Britain great.

Curious if anyone else sees it this way. Anyway, best wishes.

I certainly do, and I think you've hit the nail on the head here. I can't imagine this depth of theme in any of the earlier pre-Craig movies, especially when it alludes to sentiments expressed by such a revered source as Tennyson.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    A thought from an American. Loved the film and the threads here (just downloaded the film on Ipad).

Had a question. I'm not sure of English protocol, and if I give offense, I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

It seems that everyone else is interpreting the film to be about England's post imperial decline. There's food for thought in that, but for me M's character represented an allegory for the Queen. It makes me think of the film as a symbol of hope and endurance, not decline.

I guess the Bond escapade during the Olympics got me thinking about it, but if I were British and had a Queen, I would want her to be like M.

Standing the test of time, making the hard decisions, and continuing on in the face of adversity. She shows that even though she asks much of those who serve her, she expects no less of herself.

Which leads me to think of Mallory's character in light of Prince Charles. Regarded as a lightweight by those who don't know him well, but stands the test of fire when given.

Having now read the Tennyson poem in it's entirety, this also makes me think of the film as a statement about the inevitability of mortality, no matter how royal the head.

Anyway, I think Craig's interpretation of the Bond character has taken what was previously entertaining; and elevated it to the level of art. It exemplifies what makes Britain great.

Maybe it's our lack of royalty here that compels us to look across the water for inspiration, but know that English fortitude still matters. Strive on!

Curious if anyone else sees it this way. Anyway, best wishes.

That is indeed a brilliant analysis, @ColonialLeo. I hope you return to our community here soon - we need posters like you! :)
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,600
    I agree that the use of this piece is central to the theme(s) of Skyfall and it is also one of my favourite scenes of the whole Bond series. Just wonderful and its great to read that I am not alone
    BUT IMHO I think it could have been used to even better effect.
    Bear with me for my alternative version.

On the way to the select committee meeting in the back of the car, we see M reading to herself a well thumbed book of poetry and highlighted by an asterisk or similar is this verse. Its a brief glimpse but it gives something for the clever fans to grab on to first viewing and something to review on second viewing if missed. We don't know if M is reading it to inspire her or she plans to include it within her presentation at the meeting but we see the book on the desk during the meeting. We don't see/hear her say the words. (of course the meeting is interrupted)
    IMHO the use of her words and the significance is masked by the action going on and the music played over the words.

During the final scene, Moneypenny gives Bond the Bulldog AND the book (with bookmark still in place). Bond is left on his own with that now iconic scene looking over the rooftops of London with multiple Union Jacks fluttering in the breeze. He opens the book at the bookmarked page and smiles. We see the text for a couple of seconds. As the camera pulls out, we hear DC in an emotional voice over.
    This would give more focus on the words and more meaning in that M was sending a message to Bond to "stand firm" plus it would mean that Bond was aware of the sentiment (he did not hear the words in SF).
    We could see the book on Bond's shelf or desk in future movies
  • DariusDarius UK
    @patb

I believe such a foreshadowing scene was originally planned, but had to be dropped due to time constraints. Weighing in as a whopping 143 minutes, SF is a long movie by anyone's standards and Eon (and any other film production company) are always under strong commercial pressure to keep the movie within pre-agreed time limits.

I'm not sure of the nature of this Tennyson foreshadowing scene, but my money would be a continuation of the scene in M's house where Bond leaves to find a hotel and she picks up the Tennyson book, turns to "Ulysses" and looks away thoughtfully.
    Wow, that is interesting ,
    I had not heard that. That scene is too early IMHO to reference the piece. I like her reading it around the time of the committee meeting as it has the extra dimension of reflecting on her own personal position: being pressured by the committee and not yielding in running the dept how she wanted to,
    very interesting, do you have a reference to that alternative use?

PS another option would have been to have J Dench do the voice over as, in Bond's head, he knows that it is M sending him the message so he imagines (with us) how M would say the words (from the grave). Immensely powerful IMHO, if SP gets anywhere near that intensity and depth I will be "well chuffed".

PPS Four Weddings and a Funeral did a similar trick in using a poem to introduce a level of depth, cleverness and meaning that none of the characters could have brought to the film in themselves.
  • DariusDarius UK
    @patb

Sadly no concrete reference, but I was chatting to someone involved in the production some years ago and, being a literary type, I mentioned the Tennyson quote and M's late husband (possibly the man we saw in bed with M briefly in CR). The reply was that it was a "scene that could have been better developed, but still works well in the time allowed". Whilst I can't argue with that, I've spent the intervening years wondering (like you) how I would have developed the Tennyson scene, maybe at the cost to a few seconds elsewhere in the movie.
    Looking into this some more, there are some stonking quotes that could be used in future to show that Bond had become a fan (reminding us of the influence that M had had on his life) whilst at the same time, being used to have more insight into his character?:

"I must lose myself in action, lest I wither in despair."

PS My hero N Meyer used a similar trick in ST5 with Shakespeare although in a far more cheesy way but it does work. I can easily imagine a Bond villain who is a Shakespeare fan, lots of potential for quotes.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I think I've suggested before that Shaking things up is usually a good idea.

Bumping this thoughtful thread as related to recent discussion.