killjoy - anyone else disappointed with Skyfall?

edited November 2012 in Skyfall Posts: 1,052
Watched it on the weekend and well, it wasn't bad but for me it missed a sense of excitment and am I alone in thinking that the PTS was the best action scene in the film?

I'm not saying there were not good moments and the film was shot beautifully, just something missing for me, also the group of people I watched it with all thought it was "ok" and nothing more.

It must be said that Daniel Craig was very good though.

Am I in the minority with this opinion?

Comments

• edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    @Getafix Feels the same as you so you're not on your own.

I don't think the film was perfect or the best Bond ever but I think it was great, the best since GE, Craigs best and it's in my top 5.
    Watched it on the weekend and well, it wasn't bad but for me it missed a sense of excitment and am I alone in thinking that the PTS was the best action scene in the film?

I'm not saying there were not good moments and the film was shot beautifully, just something missing for me, also the group of people I watched it with all thought it was "ok" and nothing more.

Totally agree with you. I did start another thread for having a bit of a moan about SF but then GL (watch your back!) arrived and started trying to gauge my eyes out, so I've been posting in the review thread instead, although not sure that's the right place.
  • i confess to feeling slightly underwhlemed on the first viewing but I saw it again Thursday and thoroughly enjoyed it; it's right up there in the top few ever, for me.

my biggest issue was what happened with Severine; that scene could of ended the same way with Silva but surely without that happening to her....?
  • Watched it on the weekend and well, it wasn't bad but for me it missed a sense of excitment and am I alone in thinking that the PTS was the best action scene in the film?

No you are not.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited November 2012 Posts: 3,497
    We already know you don't like this film.

I provided a link.

Yes you are. ;)
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe

Yes you are. ;)

But you're in the majority when it comes to Craig being very good.
  • I'd say Skyfall met, if not slightly exceeded my expectations, but the amount of Silva we got disappointed me a little.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,279
    Sandy wrote:

Yes you are. ;)

But you're in the majority when it comes to Craig being very good.
    Sure I am. One look at the UK BO figures for Skyfall tells me this.....

High BO figures don't mean quality mate.
    JamesCraig wrote:
    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't...you are right.
    JamesCraig wrote:

Ok, so we don't judge by BO figures. How about reviews then, or do they not count either....?
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 1,215
    JamesCraig wrote:

Ok, so we don't judge by BO figures. How about reviews then, or do they not count either....?
    Well you can't judge entirely by BO figures. Reviews reflect directly on the quality of the film, BO figures reflect on how many people went to see the film. There isn't exactly a direct correlation between the two.
    Personally, I had my own expectations in my mind, I never actually take any notice of the reviews as I know critics tend to follow the crowd etc.

I am not for one minute suggesting it was rubbish, it was ok, there were some decent scenes, I enjoyed the "latest thing from Q Branch, it's called a radio" line and there were some nice nods to the past. But the most telling thing for me was that it didn't really hold my attention and I found myself fidgeting, I heard quite a few groans on the way out of the cinema.

I will of course watch it again as it may well grow on me!
    No, I don't judge by BO figures. Twilight and Transformers come to mind.

I judge by myself only. And I didn't hear any groans at all on the way out.

JamesCraig wrote:

Do you judge by reviews?

• Did someone's mummy not love them enough here?

Even if it wasn't a Bond film - it's still a great film in itself. Stop messing around and dye your hair green if you really need the attention.

JamesCraig wrote:

Do you judge by reviews?

Not anymore since Roger Ebert bashed QOS for the same reasons he liked CR.
    shore you all have an opinion as wrong as you all are i respect your opinions but skyfall was grate simples!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Personally, I had my own expectations in my mind, I never actually take any notice of the reviews as I know critics tend to follow the crowd etc.

I am not for one minute suggesting it was rubbish, it was ok, there were some decent scenes, I enjoyed the "latest thing from Q Branch, it's called a radio" line and there were some nice nods to the past. But the most telling thing for me was that it didn't really hold my attention and I found myself fidgeting, I heard quite a few groans on the way out of the cinema.

I didn't hear any groans, but there weren't any laughs at the supposedly amusing one liners or much of an audience response where I saw it. The atmosphere was flat.

I agree with what you said. I sat down determined to enjoy it and yet after half any hour was looking at my watch. The constant cutting back to London and MI6 didn't help. Even when Bond is chasing Silva through the underground he's constantly talking to Q. I know this reflects the 'reality' of today but for me it really detracts from your identifying with Bond.

The irony is that although they insist on earpieces etc and supposed authenticity right at the start, by the end he is alone with an old woman and groundsman in a remote Scottish glen and has no ability to call in support or back up. This is despite Q having actually lead Silva to the location via some trail of breadcrumbs. Somehow 3 British helicopters manage to show up on a remote Chinese island but when Bond's in the UK he can't even call the local police, let alone get the SAS in take out Silva. I know I'm nit-picking, but the inconsistency and stupidity of it (despite is supposedly being 'serious') just bugs me. If the film had carried me along I wouldn't have minded, but as Bond rushed from room to room in the final scenes with the house burning around him, all I could think was - 'you total idiot - you took M, in order to save her, to some remote house with virtually no weapons and no back-up and therefore to her inevitable death'.

Not that I was sorry to see Dench die. At last!

And what a rubbish end to Silva. He deserved a lot better. One minute Bond is grappling some guy 20 metres below the surface of a frozen loch. The next second he's miraculously made it back to the surface, somehow clambered out of the freezing water onto the disintegrating ice and then he's there just in time to throw a knife in the villain's back... one of the most anticlimactic ends to a villain in the series. Silva/Bardem really deserved better as his performance was probably the best in the film.
    I heard plenty of laughs.
    I am also glad to see the Back of Judy Dench, nothing against her personally, the character was just taking up too much screen time as was becoming very tired. Now that some of the familiar elements are back in place i am hoping for an exhilirating mission for Bond 24!

Also there were next to no laughs in the screening i went to, although I had a few chuckles mysel!
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 229
    My father didn't hear any laughts when he saw the Connery's Bond at the time. ;)
    Maybe Bond's humour is not meant to be Austin Powers' humour after all.

Anyway that doesn't mean anything, because there were lots au laughs during DAD screenings (especially the surfing scene)lol
    I am also glad to see the Back of Judy Dench, nothing against her personally, the character was just taking up too much screen time as was becoming very tired. Now that some of the familiar elements are back in place i am hoping for an exhilirating mission for Bond 24!

Also there were next to no laughs in the screening i went to, although I had a few chuckles mysel!

I've found myself saying the same thing after all the recent Bonds... next time they'll get it right...
  • Getafix wrote:

I didn't hear any groans, but there weren't any laughs at the supposedly amusing one liners or much of an audience response where I saw it. The atmosphere was flat.

I agree with what you said. I sat down determined to enjoy it and yet after half any hour was looking at my watch. The constant cutting back to London and MI6 didn't help. Even when Bond is chasing Silva through the underground he's constantly talking to Q. I know this reflects the 'reality' of today but for me it really detracts from your identifying with Bond.

The irony is that although they insist on earpieces etc and supposed authenticity right at the start, by the end he is alone with an old woman and groundsman in a remote Scottish glen and has no ability to call in support or back up. This is despite Q having actually lead Silva to the location via some trail of breadcrumbs. Somehow 3 British helicopters manage to show up on a remote Chinese island but when Bond's in the UK he can't even call the local police, let alone get the SAS in take out Silva. I know I'm nit-picking, but the inconsistency and stupidity of it (despite is supposedly being 'serious') just bugs me. If the film had carried me along I wouldn't have minded, but as Bond rushed from room to room in the final scenes with the house burning around him, all I could think was - 'you total idiot - you took M, in order to save her, to some remote house with virtually no weapons and no back-up and therefore to her inevitable death'.

Not that I was sorry to see Dench die. At last!

And what a rubbish end to Silva. He deserved a lot better. One minute Bond is grappling some guy 20 metres below the surface of a frozen loch. The next second he's miraculously made it back to the surface, somehow clambered out of the freezing water onto the disintegrating ice and then he's there just in time to throw a knife in the villain's back... one of the most anticlimactic ends to a villain in the series. Silva/Bardem really deserved better as his performance was probably the best in the film.

Spot on it was a TV show ending it needed a showdown with Bond
  • I heard plenty of laughs in various cinemas from England to Sydney(Australia) when I first saw Sean Connery and George Lazenby 'Bonds' as a schoolboy , Aussies particularly liked the scene in You Only Live Twice where Karen D'or berates Bond about 'Keeping a healthy chest' (he is smoking) Connery's sideward glance at her bosom and his murmured 'Oh,really' cracked us all up , amid much laughter Aussies shouted at the screen 'Good old James!'.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Jason19 wrote:
    I heard plenty of laughs in various cinemas from England to Sydney(Australia) when I first saw Sean Connery and George Lazenby 'Bonds' as a schoolboy , Aussies particularly liked the scene in You Only Live Twice where Karen D'or berates Bond about 'Keeping a healthy chest' (he is smoking) Connery's sideward glance at her bosom and his murmured 'Oh,really' cracked us all up , amid much laughter Aussies shouted at the screen 'Good old James!'.

Yeah, whoever's dad it was who wasn't laughing in the 60s must have had a pretty high laughter threshold.

I did actually laugh a couple of times in SF, although some moments were reminiscent of the worst Rogerisms. The couple on the platform as Bond jumps onto the back of the train was mildly amusing but, really...

I liked the line in the PTS about the wing mirrors. Just a bit throw away and spur of the moment. It felt quite believeable.

The Connery witticisms were in a league of their own though, and he delivered them so well.
    Connery is still the Bond. But DAF is laughable and not because of it's humor.

I can even re-watch YOLT with a certain, albeit little, amount of pleasure, but DAF... it's just dust in the wind.
    JamesCraig wrote:
    Connery is still the Bond. But DAF was laughable and not because of it's humor.

I can even re-watch YOLT with a certain, but little, amount of pleasure, but DAF... it's just dust in the wind.

I'm a big YOLT fan, but agree with you on DAF. And coming after the excellent OHMSS it is particularly poor and makes even less sense.
This discussion has been closed.