World Exclusive: Sam Mendes in Africa prepping Bond 23

edited April 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 4,619
My new motto is: "Always keep an eye on twitter!" I couple of times every week I search for a few things on twitter like "Daniel Craig", "Sam Mendes" and "Bond 23". One can find very interesting little informations and these little informations can become something bigger put together. Today I discovered that <b>there is a very strong possibility that South Africa is going to be a shooting location for Bond 23</b>. How did I find it out? Let me explain in...

I entered "Sam Mendes" in the search bar 20 minutes ago on twitter and found the following posts:

1. <i>"Sam Mendes told me without ego that he was off to prep the new James Bond." </i> This is from an actor from London. Nothing terribly interesting so far.
2. <i>"Virgin flight was fantastic Sat next to Sam mendes what a lovely bloke and Barbara broccoli James bond owner"</i> This is from Darren Gough, retired English cricketer.
3. Ok, so Sam Mendes is off to prep Bond 23 <b>together with</b> Barbara Broccoli. The question is: where did they go from London? I looked on Darren Gough's twitter page and found this from yesterday: <i>"hi mate in in Africa from tonight"</i> and this from earlier today: <i>"joburg Tonight"</i> So they flew to Johannesburg, South Africa.

<b>Conclusion</b>: Right now Sam Mendes is in South Africa together with Barbara Broccoli prepping Bond 23. And this is a world exclusive! :)

EDIT: Ok, there is a possibility that they took another flight from South Africa if they wanted to go to an African country they could not reach with a direct flight from London. For this reason I modified the title of the thread from "Sam Mendes in South Africa prepping Bond 23" to "Sam Mendes in Africa prepping Bond 23".

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Great news @PanchitoPistoles!

I wonder if Afirca will double for somewhere else or if Bond 23 will indeed be set in Africa? Strange choice in my mind.

Mendes must be getting everything done now before he starts Richard III, which is between 18th June and 11th September. On his return, that month, filming could very well begin.
    Ooh... very interesting, and a distinct possibility. They're probably into the advanced stage of location scouting. I wouldn't say they were definitely going to be there, but it is certainly a possible location. I wonder if they will get over the cost problems that they encountered before they started shooting CR.
    edited April 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Dubai on Sunday?! Maybe Bond 23 will be going to Dubai as rumoured. A great location too.

Between now and Summer news should be coming in thick and fast including casting announcements.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 4,619
    Darren Gough (the retired English cricketer, who flew together with Mendes to Johannesburg) is going to fly to Dubai on Sunday, not Mendes&Broccoli!
    Damn! If only they were. You never know though. ;-)

Sorry for the mix up.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Great find @PanchitoPistoles!

It's good to see things moving.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    edited April 2011 Posts: 1,380
    @PanchitoPistoles - This is fantastic detective work!

Off topic, I listen to Gough's radio show over the 'net (he's off right now on vacation) and can testify to the authenticity of that account.
    In the most recent article just posted, will the adverts become a regular feature?
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    South Africa would make a fascinating location for a 007 film. I remember there being talk that it previously was considered as a location for CR.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    Quoting Samuel001: In the most recent article just posted, will the adverts become a regular feature?
    Nope.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I'm all for Blighty's finest heading to South Africa - geographically a colourful and diverse country. It'd be about time. In some ways, like 007 was at the time, I'm disappointed he didn't go there in DAF... ;)
    I don't know why but it all just ... feels right.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    I really hope this is true, South Africa along with Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the Maldives, China and the Gulf States are all places that are crying out as prime unused Bond locations.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 37
    ...I know how this is going to sound to you but please bare with me for a moment...I live in the USA and I am so sick ---...if this is going to be about --- I am going to the roof right now to jump off......

Edit by mod: Racial overtones removed
    Well done PP !! I used to try to get stuff about Bond23 on twitter but now i cant tweet or even close my account if i wanted to - it's all gone to pot.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 14
    "I've always fancied a trip to South Africa..." -Bond, Diamonds Are Forever ;-)
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 638
    Quoting sohot2: ...I know how this is going to sound to you but please bare with me for a moment...I live in the USA and I am so sick of ---...if this is going to be about --- I am going to the roof right now to jump off......

:-@
    ...jaguar007.....what does that mean.....
    are you saying ...so long...
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 107
    @sohot2: You know, typically when someone says "bear with me," it means they're getting around to qualifying their point. Instead, all you said was:
    Quoting sohot2: if this is going to be about ---...if this is going to be about --- I am going to the roof right now to jump off......

So, you wanna try your explanation again, maybe?
    Quoting CharlesManhatten:
    "I've always fancied a trip to South Africa..." -Bond,
    Diamonds Are Forever ;)
    I take it that is said in the novel? If so, I'm glad Bond could be going there at long last.
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 107
    Quoting Samuel001:
    I take it that is said in the novel?
    He says it in the film, actually, after the diamond smuggling briefing is laid out, and M immediately shoots him down with, "You're going to Holland."
    Quoting JobeGDG: He says it in the film, actually, after the diamond smuggling briefing is laid
    out, and M immediately shoots him down with, "You're going to Holland."
    >-)

That just shows you how long it's been since I've seen the film or read the book.

Thanks for correcting me @JobeGDG.
    I live in the United States and we are aloud to speak our minds....I am sorry you are offended by the truth.... so I will try to only post nice things...whenever I feel the need to live in fairy land...and make believe land......
    ...wait ...are you telling me that you are not aloud to say "Black"...your kidding right...right
    ...wow...you should never come over to an American web site ...because it would be to real for you.....
    Quoting JobeGDG:

Quoting Samuel001:
    I take it that is said in the
    novel?
    He says it in the film, actually, after the diamond
    smuggling briefing is laid out, and M immediately shoots him down with, "You're
    going to Holland."
    And on top of that, the South African scenes in DAF aren't even filmed in South Africa, they were shot in the Nevada desert.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Please get back on topic folks, and discuss the prep for Bond 23.
    Luds: I just received your e-mail with the stern warning...and I just realized you didnt receive my e-mail......
  • edited April 2011 Posts: 565
    Quoting sohot2: I live in the United States and we are aloud to speak our minds....I am sorry you are offended by the truth.... so I will try to only post nice things...whenever I feel the need to live in fairy land...and make believe land......
    Quoting sohot2: ...wow...you should never come over to an American web site ...because it would be to real for you.....
    sohot, I live in the US as well, but I am rather offended at these statements. If you're going to make a generalization about me and my culture, please consider who you are representing first. The US is a very large country with a diverse group of people to be described by one mentality. I am currently studying abroad right now, and I highly recommend you do too (if you ever get the opportunity). It can be quite a humbling experience. I'm having a heck of a time trying to show them that all Americans are not big mouthed jerks who always shove it down other people's throats that we're the best. And that is coming from someone who honestly liked Bush as a president. lol! I love my country and the principals it was founded on and I am willing to share my culture with others, but I refuse to make careless comments like the few that you have thrown up on this forum (ie. "In America, we..."). Please, please just give things a second thought before you post.

Rant done, sorry folks.

On the topic of South Africa, it feels like something that has been a long time coming. Like my friend sohot, I hope the storyline won't imply some sort of racial component dealing with political correctness. However, I am rather excited about this news and hope that it will become truth. Should be a great backdrop for the 50th!!